What movies have you watched lately

Bob George

Proud Member
The last movie I watched was "Boys Don't Cry." I heard it was a good movie so I checked it out. I don't think I've ever cried so much during a movie. The ending is the most intensely emotional ending in a movie ever. I'm going to be giving a mini review/plot summary of the movie below, so proceed with caution, the following will contain spoilers:

The movie is about the true story of Brandon Teena, a transman (born female, and still retains female sex organs) who's real name was Teena Brandon. He's played by Hillary Swank who I was extremely impressed with in this movie. One night he goes to a bar and gets in a fight defending a girl he just met. After he escapes from the fight safely, the girl and her friends invite him to a party in Falls City. A town miles away from his hometown. Excited by the prospect of starting fresh in a town where everyone just assumed he was male (opposed to his hometown where those who knew him, knew he was a female), Brandon decided to stay in Falls City.

He develops a friendship with ex-cons John Lotter and Tom Nissen, Lana Tisdel and Candace (who was the girl he initially met at the bar). He starts developing a romantic relationship with Lana Tisdel who has no idea Brandon is a female. That is until Brandon is jailed for failing to show up for court on charges made prior to his move to Falls City. Lana comes to visit him and finds him in the women's section. He tells her it's because he's a hermaphrodite, which was not true, but Lana says she doesn't care and provides the money to get him out on bail.

Meanwhile, back at home the others have discovered fake male parts and books on sexual identity crisis in Brandon's bag. They obviously become very suspicious. When Brandon and Lana come back from the prison, John and Tom (the ex-cons) aggressively take him away to the bathroom and strip off his pants to find out if he's male or female. They discover he's got female sex organs and force Lana to see for herself. It still doesn't matter to her if he's male, female or what. She's in love with him no matter what.

John and Tom then wait until Brandon is on his one and then force him to get in their car. They drive off the another location and violently rape Brandon in the back of the car. When they are finished they warn him not to tell anyone or they'll kill him. They then drive him back to the house and make him take a shower to wash all the blood off. While in the bathroom, Brandon escapes out the window and runs to the police.

After he has filed his report, he hides away at Candace's farm house to avoid John and Tom. Lana stays with him and the two plan to run away from Falls City and start a new life together in Memphis. But John and Tom are out looking for him, gun in hand. They turn up to Lana's place to see if she's there. The only one there is her mother. Lana's mother wants Brandon out of her daughters life too and, knowing that they will kill him, tell them where he is. They turn up and Candace's place and proceed to shoot both Brandon and Candace. The killing of Brandon is brutal and very hard to watch. Not only do they shoot him, but they proceed to then stab him violently several times and shot him a couple more times before they leave. It's obvious they have a lot of hate against him. The next day Lana flees Falls City, and that's how the movie ends.

Yeh, so, overall a very, very emotional movie. The love story between Brandon and Lana is beautiful. As if the fact that she still loves him after she finds out he's a female. The treatment of Brandon by Tom and John after they find out he's a female is brutal and disgusting. The ending is so emotional I just broke down. I really recommend this movie. It's very well acted, and well scripted. You know it's done well if it makes you cry as much as I did. I recommend it, but I have to warn you, it's a very strong movie emotionally.

I didn't read your whole review because I still haven't seen this yet and I want to :) I've only ever heard great reviews though :)

I went and saw The Bucket List last week and that was great. Morgan Freeman and Jack Nicholson are fantastic together on screen, they had me rolling around in the seat. It had some great feel good moments too :)
I reccommend for everyone :)

I went and saw Vantage Point on Saturday night and I enjoyed it but I have to say, if you don't like the ground hog theme (where you see the same incident being played out over and over from different view points) then you probably wont like this film.

The special effects and the shock effect of watching a US president get assassinated from everyone's view certainly knocks you about a bit, makes it feel kind of real and I think that's also in part because terroisim is a very real issue for everyone.
Dennis Quaid is great as a secret service agent, Forest Whitaker's character is great (he's just so amazing).

The final 30 minutes where everything comes crashing together is fantastic though and the car chase was awesome :p (I had to drive back to work after watching this and had to fight the urge to drive like they did :lol:)
I reccommend this for just a good bit of action fun :yes:

Last edited:
The last movies I watched are "The Holiday":

In London, Iris Simpkins write a wedding column in a newspaper and has an unrequited love for her colleague Jasper Bloom. Nearby Christmas, she is informed that Jasper is engaged and will marry another colleague, and her life turns head over heels. In Los Angeles, the movie-trailers maker Amanda Woods has just broken with her unfaithful boyfriend Ethan and wants to forget him. Amanda access a house exchange website, and impulsively swaps her mansion for Iris' cottage in Surrey for the holiday along the next two weeks. While in Surrey, Amanda meets Iris' widow brother and book editor Graham and they fall in love for each other. Meanwhile Iris meet her next door neighbor, the ninety year old screenplay writer Arthur, who helps her to retrieve her self-esteem, and the film composer Miles, and they fall in love for each other. Written by Claudio Carvalho, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Movie trailer editor, Amanda of Los Angeles, CA and journalist Iris of Surrey, England live five thousand miles apart and have never met, but are dealing with the same problem: men. Amanda having just broken up with her cheating boyfriend, Ethan and Iris having pined for her ex, Jasper, becoming engaged to the woman he left her for decide to take a vacation during Christmas. They come upon a website called home exchange and swap houses for two weeks both with a goal to forget their troubled love lives. But love ends up finding them anyways. Amanda starts a romance with Iris' older brother, Graham, a book editor and Iris starts a romance with a movie composer named Miles. With new found romance, both their lives change forever.

and "Music and Lyrics":

Cheery Alex Fletcher lives comfortably in Manhattan off the residuals from his 80's pop success and reprising his hits at school reunions, theme parks, and state fairs. But those gigs are declining, so he jumps at the chance to write a song and record it with reigning teen idol Cora Corman. Trouble is, he's good at melodies but needs a lyricist and has less than a week to finish. Enter Sophie Fisher, subbing for a friend who waters Alex's plants; she's a pretty good poet, quick witted, and could do it, if she'd agree. But there's some sort of shadow over her head that Alex may not be able to charm his way past. And what if they do get a song written, what then? Written by {jhailey@hotmail.com}
In New York, the washed-up singer Alex Fletcher has a decadent career singing his old hits in amusement parks, school reunions or dinner parties to survive. In the 80's, he was a successful singer of the band POP with Collin Thompson, but when his partner split, his solo-career was a complete failure. His manager and friend Chris Riley schedules a meeting with the successful teen singer Cora Corman and Alex has a chance to be promoted in a show if he delivers a new song for Cora's concert in the end of the week. Alex has difficulties to put lyrics in his melody, but he accidentally discovers Sophie Fisher, who is temporarily watering his plants and proves to be a sensitive poet and efficient lyricist. Their song is approved by Cora, but they disagree about her interpretation, while they fall in love for each other.

[Plot outlines taken from IMDB.com]

I'm in a film class so i've seen quite a few movies recently
I saw Taxi Driver, Bus 174 and Eraserhead lol
Oh and my friend bought me Across the Universe. I saw it in the theater in August and I recently saw it on DVD. I'm so in love with it. It's so different from anything i've seen. Julie Taymor, the director, is a genius.

The latest movie I watched was Mindhunters. It's the only movie I have bought on DVD, because I really really like it.

Seven FBI psychological profiler trainees are sent to an isolated island for the final stage of their training period. Soon they'll realise they are being killed one by one and as the tension increases the training becomes real action and they'll have to figure out is the serial killer someone from the outside or one of the team members.

I just watched requiem for a dream. ít's made in 2003 but I loooove it!

A film paralleling the lives of Sara Goldfarb, a lonely, TV obsessed widow, and her son Harry, his girlfriend Marion, and his drug dealer friend Tyrone. After learning that she will make an appearance on a TV game show, Sara tries to lose weight so that she can fit into her prized red dress, and becomes hooked on diet pills. Meanwhile, Harry and his friends are taking heroin and cocaine. We then witness the disasterous consequences and the downward spiral their lives take as a result of their addictions.

very very impressing movie:yes: with Jared Leto, Ellen burstyn and Jennifer Connelli

Hey bob I watched Boys don't cry last night it was very good :yes:

Hilary Swank is amazing and truly fills the role of Brandon.
The acting was great and the ending devastating.

The comments by the police as they interview Brandon were pathetic and made me mad

Baazigar is the only movie I have been wanting to see lately. Baazigar I think is the best Bollywood movie to come out in 1993. Plus it is one of the best Bollywood movies ever made. Mainly because Shah Rukh Khan is in that movie and he is one of my favorite Bollywood actors.

Ajay Sharma's family is a wealthy and happy family - until Madan Chopra comes along. He tricks Ajay's father and takes everything he has - leaving him both jobless and homeless. The Sharmas manage to survive somehow - but one day, both Ajay's father and his baby sister die and Ajay has to take care of his sick mother. He makes Chopra responsible for their hardships and vows to take revenge someday.

15 years later: Ajay is now grown-up - still a loving son who takes care of his mother - but he hasn't forgotten about what Chopra did to his family. He starts a romance with both Seema and Priya Chopra, the daughters of Madan Chopra, and begins to plan his revenge.

This is Shah Ruhk Khan's first movie to play a villian and he was great at playing one. And the songs in that movie are just as good as the movie itself. I am listening to one of them right now.

I went to see Cloverfield.
I have never like scifi films and I have no idea why did I go see it. (ok my friends made me do it)
I almost puked during the film, I was feeling awful.. don't know was it because of the movie and the discusting spider things :puke:
or did I just eat too much chocolate:D
Luckily the feeling went away in the end and I could almost enjoy the movie.

I've recently rewatched Poltergiest III. I'm a huge fan of all the Poltergiest movies, and PIII is one of my favorites. It's probably my second favorite Poltergiest movie after the first one.

I really want to see Stephen King's "The Mist." I missed it when it was playing in the theatres, so I'm going to pick up the DVD when it's released on the 25th.

Last edited:
I've seen Boys Don't Cry...
I felt numb after it, extremely depressing.
Extremely credible portrayal of Brandon by Hilary. Beautiful character.

Last edited:
Hey bob I watched Boys don't cry last night it was very good :yes:

Hilary Swank is amazing and truly fills the role of Brandon.
The acting was great and the ending devastating.

The comments by the police as they interview Brandon were pathetic and made me mad

I watched Rush Hour 3 some days ago..it was soooooooooo funny!! *gg* 'I'm Bubbles, the new costume designer' :lol:

Did you like it, too?

^ yeah Bob :yes:

So I decided to go from a depressing "based on a real story" to a more inspiring "based on a real story" :lol:

I watched the film "The Triumph" starring Matthew Perry as the teacher "Ron Clarke" who takes on a class of under achieving grade 6 students in Inner Harlem and it follows the drama of this class ^_^

Was awesome actually. Granted it falls into that common list of teacher coming to turn the world around films catergory lol but the thing is there are teachers that are like that :) Lean on Me is great and so is the one Hilary Swank did... title escapes my mind at the moment. :)

Last edited:
I'm watching The Time Machine now, made in 2002 with Guy Pearce and Jeremy Irons.

Despite the bad reviews, I actually really like it! It's REALLY entertaining and NOT just because Guy Pearce is a sexy beast lol. I tend to like movies that take u on a ride, an imaginative rollercoaster ride (much like Pirates Of The Caribbean)...and The Time Machine does just that.

Then again maybe I like this movie so much because I haven't seen the original.

I watched a very funny movie last week: Lars and the real girl

Overview

Director:

Craig Gillespie

Writer (WGA):

Nancy Oliver (written by)

Release Date:

7 March 2008 (Norway) more view trailer
Genre:

Comedy / Drama more
Tagline:

The search for true love begins outside the box
Plot Outline:

A delusional young guy strikes up an unconventional relationship with a doll he finds on the Internet.

Highly reccomended, if you like movies that may not be mainstream, but has a odd sense of humour, and describes people and their quirky and sometimes strange behaviour with a loving and accepting eye:)

I watched the film "The Triumph" starring Matthew Perry as the teacher "Ron Clarke" who takes on a class of under achieving grade 6 students in Inner Harlem and it follows the drama of this class ^_^

Was awesome actually. Granted it falls into that common list of teacher coming to turn the world around films catergory lol but the thing is there are teachers that are like that :) Lean on Me is great and so is the one Hilary Swank did... title escapes my mind at the moment. :)
I also saw The Triumph recently. A couple of nights ago on TV I think. I thought it was really good too. You're right, it's the typical teacher turning a class of no hopers into great achievers. But it was done really well.

I think the Swank movie you're talking about is "Freedom Writers". That movie was really good too.

^ yes!! that's it the Freedom Writers! :yes:

I watched Black Sheep on the weekend with some friends :rofl: it's a comedy horror, basically it's filmed in New Zealand and there's a guy trying to create superior genetically modified sheep, and they become zombie like and maul and kill people :rofl:

the lines in it are very funny and the first "killer sheep" that you see is a baby and all I kept thinking of was Lamb Chop :rofl:

Definately Kiwi/Aussie kind of humour, so I don't know how well it converts overseas because it received bad reviews, but if you liked Shaun of the Dead and other comedy horrors I highly reccomend for a few laughs :lol: there are some gorey scenes though (it is a horror after all) :lol:

I took my daughter yesterday to see "Hannah Montana: The Best Of Both Worlds Concert Tour in 3-D", and other than the part where it felt like forever when the Jonas Brothers took over from Hannah Montana and sang three songs, I thought it was an okay movie (the dads racing in high heels to win Hannah Montana concert tickets was hilarious), but definitely not a movie for those who don't like Hannah Montana's music, as the entire movie is pretty much Hannah Montana singing, with very little behind the scenes. My daughter thought it was fantastic, loved the 'flying 3-D objects' and can't wait to see Hannah/Miley LIVE. It was loud.

"Storm Of The Century", based on a Stephen King script, is brilliant. Colm Feore is one of my favorite actors, and he is superbly evil-yet likeable-in this movie. If you're looking for a creepy movie with an excellent storyline, script and cast, this is the movie for you.

Last edited:
I just watched 88 minutes with Al Pacino :wub:

was a great crime thriller flick, even though I picked who the baddie was straight away (too many episodes of Law & Order SVU i think :lol:)

Pacino of course is brilliant but the rest of the cast was great too ^_^

If you like your fast paced crime thrillers I reccommend this, also if you love Al Pacino :p

Last edited:
i saw lot of pretty movies lately - I could recommend from the latest movies - "No Reservations" - great one, as well as "10 000 B.C." the latest "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix" ,'Bourne Ultimatum' is cool, I went to see "Rise Blood Hunter" I saw its from the creators of "The Grudge" since I like the horror in 'The Grudge' i thought it will be nice to watch "Rise Blood Hunter" but actually I was disapointed - it wasnt that horror and it wasnt that moving - just too many blood effects and no idea in it!

I also recommend Enchanted -- verry cool movie :)

Im lately big fan of CSI the TV series so lately when home I use to watch every evening CSI Miami and CSI Las Vegas they show the two episodes at once all the week

Last edited:
Boys Don't Cry was such a good movie, and made me really emotional too.

Lately i've watched Pride and Prejudice which I thought was very good, and Keira Knightley is just sooo pretty all the way through!!! And I have also seen Enchanted a few times (the new disney movie) which i'm completely addicted to... :D

Oh, and I really need to see Sweeney Todd sometime soon!

xx

I watched Death Proof last night, part of the Grindhouse double-feature. I wanted to get out the other move as well (Planet Terror) but there were no copies left at the video store.

I really loved it. You really feel like your in a dodgy movie theatre in the 70s watching a low-budget dodgy movie. There's spots all over the screen and lines going across it. At some points it looks like the film reel skips, either going back a few second and repeating what you just saw or going forward a few minutes. Also, halfway through the movie the screen goes black and white for a few minutes. So it really does feel like your in a dodgy cinema watching a movie that was made with a budget of a hundred dollars. Which I liked, it made it feel really authentic.

But although the quality of the picture was intentionally bad, the movie wasn't. It was really good. It's about this retired stunt man who used to work on movies in the 70s and still drives the stunt car he used to use. Because it's a stunt car, it's built so that the driver will suffer as little injuries as possible if the car crashes or whatever. So he goes around, targeting young women, and kills them by crashing into them on the highway or whatever because he knows they'll die and he'll survive and when he goes to hospital to recover, he can't be held accountable for anything because there aren't any witnesses left. The movie builds up to a massive, edge-of-your-seat car chase at the end. It was incredible. One of the best car chases ever in a movie.

It was just a very entertaining, well done movie that really feels like a dodgy 70s flick and if you just want to see an entertaining movie with no stings attached, I recommend Death Proof.

Last edited:
I just watched the Jacksons: An American Dream :wild: for the first time . I didn't even know there was a movie about them untill quite recently, but it's so cool :woohoo:

Dead Silence

corny but viewable

The lead detective is Donnie Wahlberg:wub2:
**attempts :blush: to contain himself**

OMG !! :woohoo: NKOTB !! :dropdead:

'uh uh uh O O
uh uh uh O

uh uh uh O O
uh uh uh O ... The Right Stuff !!

Your first kiss was a sweet kiss
Second kiss had a twist
Third and your fourth kiss