September 19 - 21 (Update for Sept 21, 2008 on post #57)

mariemarie

Guests
Im glad the forum is back on it's feet!! Right on time before the weekend sets in and a time when many of us will appreciate some time off from work. Dorothy will bring the news on Saturday and Sunday, so make sure to check in this thread. You never know when something new has come up =)

Mentionings

And Another Thing: also in the West Midlands this weekend

Gym Class Heroes The New York-based hip-hop poppers come to the UK to promote new album The Quilt, released last week. Previously best known for their Supertramp-sampling Top 5 single, Cupid's Chokehold, the group are now back in the spotlight thanks to frontman Travis McCoy's lady friend being none other than girl of the hour Katy Perry. Fri Sep 19, Carling Academy 2, 52-54 Dale End, Birmingham. 6pm, £13, sold out, returns only. Tel: 0844 477 2000. www.gymclassheroes.com
Signature It might feel like a lifetime ago in the world of reality TV, but it's actually been less than four months since dance duo Signature shook into second place on Britain's Got Talent with their strange but brilliant mash-up of Michael Jackson routines and bhangra. While that little tyke George Sampson lights up the West End, the duo are thrilling the crowds in Walsall.

http://www.metro.co.uk/metrolife/ar...s_weekend&in_article_id=315355&in_page_id=257

London Kids, Tokyo Orchestra Wait for News on Lehman Grants

Some Lehman grantees, such as the Apollo Theater Foundation Inc., are caught in the middle. The nonprofit group, which runs the entertainment venue in Harlem that helped launch the careers of Billie Holliday, Stevie Wonder and Michael Jackson, is set to receive a total of $1 million from Lehman between 2007 and 2011.

Stolen Subaru found by buddy

BAR HARBOR — When Carl Davis stepped outside to go to work the morning of Sept. 8, he could see immediately that his day was not going to go exactly according to plan. His car, parked as usual in his Prospect Avenue driveway the night before, was nowhere to be seen.
After a long, fruitless walk through town looking for the vehicle, the sad truth became apparent to Mr. Davis – his beloved 1990 Subaru wagon, given to him three years ago by his grandfather, had been stolen.
Just three days later, though, Mr. Davis got a call from a friend who was driving through Ellsworth – he’d just seen the car parked in front of the White Birches restaurant, hotel and golf course, just over the town line in Hancock. A couple of hours later, the wagon was back in Mr. Davis’ driveway, with nothing more missing than a quarter tank of gas.​

The car was reported stolen on the day Mr. Davis discovered it gone, but it is highly unlikely that a culprit will ever be identified, Officer Thom Tardiff of the Bar Harbor Police Department said, because there are absolutely no clues to go by. Mr. Davis said he is left with many questions.
“I’m sure that there was a pretty good story that night on the other end, and I’d like to hear it,” he said. “I hope that they enjoyed driving my car as much as I do. I’m just glad to have it back.”
The grandfather who gave him the Subaru recently passed away.
The night the car was stolen, it was parked in the driveway with the keys in it, Mr. Davis said, a habit that he has always been in and “actually one of the main reasons I live here in Maine.” He never expected to find the “run of the mill” wagon stolen, he said.
“It’s not a fancy car at all. It’s got some clunks when you turn and some dents in the sides … and it’s full of trash at this time as well,” he said. “So, it didn’t seem like a very appealing car to steal for a joyride.”
Grady Holloway, Mr. Davis’ friend who spotted the car, “is the big hero in this whole story,” Mr. Davis said.​

“After I saw the car, I went up to the motel, and gave them Carl’s name and number and told them he was coming,” Mr. Holloway said. “They asked if it was stolen, and I said yes. They laughed, and said the state police had been parked right next to it for two days, monitoring traffic.”
Everything in the car was left as it was, including a six pack of Red Stripe beer Mr. Davis had forgotten to take inside the night before, he said. A Michael Jackson tape he had in the tape player was still playing when he started the car.
Mr. Davis said he is making an effort to take the keys out of the car when he parks it, although a lifetime habit is hard to break. “Generally, I’m trying to keep the keys with me now,” he said​

No video, no problem for artists on YouTube

ATLANTA - When Ludacris' manager wanted to create buzz for his client's upcoming CD, he went directly to YouTube.com. But instead of releasing a flashy video for Ludacris' song Let's Stay Together, Chaka Zulu just uploaded the track directly to the site with a just picture of the rapper as accompaniment.
"You actually get to visualise the music," said Zulu, who is also co-founder of Ludacris' Disturbing tha Peace label. "Even if it's not a real video, music is emotion. Music has a concept and theme."​

Though YouTube is known as the internet's greatest video warehouse, it's becoming known as the place to find new music, no video needed. Put in the name of your favourite artist and there's chance that besides an assortment of their videos, you'll find a song with perhaps just a picture or a montage of photos to accompany it - and it still gets thousands of views.
If anyone wants to hear Akon's remake of Michael Jackson's Wanna Be Starting Something, it's there. Someone yearning for the new Guns N' Roses track Shackler's Revenge or T.I.'s new release Live Your Life featuring Rihanna, all it takes is a quick search of their name and song title. No problem. While some of the songs are posted directly by an artist's camp, others are uploaded by fans eager to share and discuss new music by their favourite act.

DJ Sickamore, who was director of A&R at Atlantic Records for two years and now has his own entertainment management company, says YouTube is a simpler way to listen to music on the internet.
"Other file hosting sites have too many steps," said DJ Sickamore. "If I like a song, I can hear it instantly without any problems. You definitely have to take advantage of this tool."
Zulu first noticed the power of YouTube sans video two years ago when he posted Ludacris' song War with God with just the rapper's picture as a visual on the site. Soon after, Zulu's BlackBerry was bombarded with text messages.
"It had the internet going crazy," recalled Zulu. "I was getting tons of messages about how they loved it. I didn't know that many people heard it.
"It's a viable marketing tool for us now," he added.
Country star Taylor Swift has also caught on. For the upcoming November release of her sophomore CD Fearless, Swift, along with her label, hopes to create a picture or video montage for each of the CD's tracks for YouTube. So far, she's enjoyed checking out the fan-created postings of her songs on YouTube.
"It's like having another video," said Swift, 18. "For me, it's a chance to see someone else's take on my music. I embrace that and think it's cool."​

We know Howard can play, but there's little value in what he has to say

Josh Howard may not be the Dallas Mavericks' best player, but he's their most complete player. He has a better post-up game than Dirk Nowitzki and better all-around skills than anyone else on their roster. Until six months ago he was universally recognized as the Mavs' best chance at capturing a championship, so much so that seemingly every team in the National Basketball Association inquired about his availability.​

Now he's known these days as the franchise's resident idiot, someone who is gainfully employed solely because of his ability to bounce and shoot a basketball. A character seemingly destined to embarrass his way into exile from a league that's garnered him millions of dollars because he won't stop perpetuating his ignorance and hostility to the masses, simultaneously casting an ominous shadow over his contemporaries.

"I have no comment," Cuban said Thursday via e-mail, moonwalking away in classic Michael Jackson fashion.

Macca To Play Israel Despite Threats

Paul McCartney says he’s going ahead with his Sept. 25 show in Tel Aviv’s Hayarkon Park despite being told his life would be in danger. “I was approached by different groups and political bodies who asked me not to come. I refused,” McCartney told Israeli daily Yediot Aharonoth. “I do what I think, and I have many friends who support Israel.”
Some U.K. papers have reported that Macca’s visit may prompt a terrorist attack and the Daily Mail quoted a Muslim cleric warning the former Beatle he’ll be killed by suicide bombers if he plays in Israel.

Other acts to have played Hayarkon Park include Madonna, Michael Jackson, Metallica, Elton John, U2, Guns N’ Roses, David Bowie, Dire Straits and Westlife.

India to Host 2008 Live Earth Event to Raise Awareness for Climate in Crisis

MUMBAI, India, Sep 18, 2008 (BUSINESS WIRE) -- On December 7, 2008, Live Earth India, this year's concert for a climate in crisis, will feature world-renowned musicians and performers, environmental advocates and celebrities from India, the U.S. and all over the globe. Live Earth India will feature personal and policy solutions to the climate crisis, offer support for India's most important environmental issues and causes, and provide a platform so India can continue its global climate leadership. Former U.S. Vice President Al Gore, who participated in the press announcement live via satellite, said India should lead the world by committing to produce all of its new energy in the electricity sector from clean and renewable sources within the next 10 years.​

"Live Earth's mission is to cultivate grassroots and worldwide awareness of and solutions for environmental issues that affect us all. Awareness activates change and important issues deserve a global platform," said Kevin Wall, founder of Live Earth. "That's why the stage for Live Earth India will host some of the biggest artists from India to the U.S. and beyond, while we bring India to the world. And the world has a lot to learn from traditional Indian culture about sustainability."​

Having produced some of the world's most ambitious, media-convergent live musical events, Kevin Wall is Executive Producer and founder of Live Earth. On 07/07/07, Wall produced the 24-hour, seven-continent concert series "Live Earth: Concerts for a Climate in Crisis," which reached an estimated global audience of 2 billion. He designed the multimedia architecture and enlisted more than 150 headlining artists to raise awareness for the urgent global climate crises, and 07/07/07 was named the most watched online entertainment event in history. Wall also executive produced "Live 8," which earned him an Emmy(R) Award as it motivated millions worldwide to take action on and donate to aid to Africa. His prestigious career includes producing Bob Dylan's "30th Anniversary Concert Celebration" at Madison Square Garden, Michael Jackson's "The Dangerous Tour" live in Bucharest, "Amnesty International: Human Rights Now," and specials for Madonna, Prince, Eric Clapton and Elton John.

Today in
Michael Jackson History

1981 - A video of the Jacksons' "The Triumph (Can You Feel It)" was aired on "American Bandstand."

1987 - Michael Jackson's "I Just Can't Stop Loving You" hit #1 on the U.S. Hot 100 and R&B charts.

1998 - Michael Jackson was listed as the #1 male artist in Billboard Magazines's 40th Anniversary release.

1991 - An episode of "The Simpsons" aired that featured a voiceover by Michael Jackson.

1992 - Michael Jackson's "Jam" hit #13 in the U.K.

1992 - HBO taped a Michael Jackson show in Bucharest, Romania. They broadcasted the show on October 10th under the name "From Bucharest - The Dangerous Tour."

1998 - Billboard Magazine celebrated the 40th anniversary of their "singles chart" by compiling a list of th top songs over the past four decades. They listed Michael Jackson as the #1 male artist with the "Most #1 hits."

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: September 19 - 21 News and Mentionings

SonyBMG Italy just sent to italian fanclubs the official tracklist of the greatest hist 'King Of Pop - the italian edition'.

I must say (not 'cause I'm italian :tease:) this is the best tracklist so far.:punk:

King Of Pop - The Italian Edition - OFFICIAL TRACKLIST

Cd1
1 Billie Jean
2 Black Or White
3 Man In The Mirror
4 Whatever Happens
5 Smooth Criminal
6 Beat It
7 Off The Wall
8 We've Had Enough
9 Dangerous
10 They Don't Care About Us (single)
11 Human Nature
12 Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'
13 Ghost
14 You Rock My World
15 Earth Song

Cd2
1 Thriller (single w/Vincent Price)
2 Tabloid Junkie
3 Liberian Girl
4 Remember The Time
5 We Are The World (demo!)
6 Who Is It (single)
7 Speechless (Album Version)
8 Morphine
9 The Way You Make Me Feel
10 Bad (single)
11 Blood On The Dance Floor
12 Rock With You (single)
13 Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough (single)
14 You Are Not Alone (single)
15 Heal The World (single)

BONUS TRACKS

16 Got The Hots (demo recorded during original Thriller studio sessions)
17 Carousel (full version)

Sources: SonyBMG Italy / michaelmania.com

Idk if its true or not?

MJ News (?)

http://au.news.yahoo.com/a/-/entertainment/5027365/vivienne-westwood-turns-up-the-heat/

Vivienne Westwood turns up the heat

[...]
Pamela Anderson was accompanied by a masked friend, rumoured during the show to be pop singer Michael Jackson .

Westwood's personal assistant was overheard by a Reuters witness telling two members of the audience that Anderson's mysterious plus-one was the reclusive "King of Pop".

MJ Mentionings

http://www.realgmfootball.com/src_w...es_with_teammate_over_jackson_mccartney_duet/
Ocho Cinco Wrestles With Teammate Over Jackson-McCartney Duet

Cincinnati Enquirer - Chad Ocho Cinco played "The Girl Is Mine" on the locker room sound system Thursday afternoon. The Michael Jackson-Paul McCartney duet wasn't well received with rookie defensive tackle Jason Shirley.

Shirley walked by the stereo and turned it off. Ocho Cinco playfully came after him moments later.

The two wrestled for a few minutes, with Ocho Cinco mostly laughing and clinging to Shirley's leg.

http://www.thestatesman.net/page.news.php?clid=19&theme=&usrsess=1&id=223284
Mystic Minstrel

[...]
One by one, Bollywood’s old timers like Ravindra Jain, Anu Malik, Raam-Laxman, and Jatin-Lalit were being put out of business. They were all hoping that a composer who did not understand, let alone speak a sentence clearly in Hindi, would not be able to hold his own in Bollywood. Sooner than later, they would see his back. But when Sony Music signed Rahman on a three-year contract in 1998 and recognition began pouring in like the Padma Shri in 2000, three national awards and 14 Filmfare awards (for Rangeela, Kadhal Desam, Minsara Kanavu, Dil Se and Taal), they had to come to terms with the Rahman phenomenon. There are also the awards from Mauritius and Malaysian governments, the Sanskriti Award, Rajiv Gandhi Award, Lata Mangeshkar Award and so on, besides collaborations with Andrew Lloyd Webber, Michael Jackson and David Byrne.

http://www.nyunews.com/arts/music/album_reviews_09_19_08
Album Reviews: 09/19/08

Ne-Yo
“Year of the Gentleman”
Def Jam

Another summer gone, another hit by Ne-Yo. Even if “Closer” is no “Because of You,” it’s easy to see why he tops the charts year after year. As singing voices go, his is about as close to Michael Jackson’s as today’s pop atmosphere allows, and he’s the go-to songwriter for R&B artists who want a hit (“Irreplaceable”: He wrote it). Ne-Yo’s third record, “Year of the Gentleman,” is just what it name suggests: a collection of classy, easy-going R&B that for the most part is better suited for the bedroom than the club, indisputable proof that chivalry will never die. The production is smooth, and Ne-Yo’s voice is in fine form. If there’s any knock on “Year of the Gentleman,” it’s that most of its songs are pretty much interchangeable. Then again, it is Ne-Yo. He has late-night commercials on television. Enough said.

3.5 stars, key track “So You Can Cry”

— Anthony Benigno

http://www.bentonspiritnews.com/def...e=&pform=&sc=1935&hn=bentonspiritnews&he=.com
Member of the Black Eyed Peas and Star of the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air to Register Voters on Campuses Across Michigan

[...]
Will.i.am is a member of the popular music group Black Eyed Peas. He is also well established on his own, as both a solo artist and a producer. Will.i.am has collaborated with a wide range of musicians including Justin Timberlake, John Legend, Kelis, Nas, The Game, Mariah Carey, Whitney Houston, Michael Jackson, Sergio Mendes, Carlos Santana, The Pussycat Dolls, Busta Rhymes and fellow Black Eyed Pea, Fergie. Will.i.am recently released a new hit album SONGS ABOUT GIRLS.

hey all ppls :)

http://www.rte.ie/arts/2008/0919/video.html

Duran Duran's Rio named best video
Duran Duran's 'Rio' has been named the greatest music video of all time.

The 1982 video, featuring the band in suits on a Caribbean beach being teased by scantily-clad women, beat favourites like Michael Jackson's 'Thriller' and Madonna's 'Like a Prayer' to claim the title.

Bjork's video for her 1999 hit 'All Is Full of Love', where she played a robot in a steamy clinch with another robot, took second place.
'Take On Me,' the 1985 video from A-ha, where singer Morten Harket was a comic book character who comes to life, was third, followed by Jackson's famously spooky 1983 hit 'Thriller'.

Icelandic group Sigur Ros's surreal video for 'Svefn-g-Englar' was fifth in the poll of MTV viewers, followed by the anarchic gig scene in Nirvana's 'Smells Like Teen Spirit' (1991).

Radiohead's 'Just' video (1995), featuring a man inexplicably lying down in the street and Jamiroquai's 'Virtual Insanity' (1996), where he danced on a moving floor, were next.

The top ten was completed by Madonna's 'Like A Prayer' (1989), controversial for featuring burning crosses, statues weeping blood and the singer seducing a black Jesus, and US group OK GO's 'Here It Goes Again' (2006), with the band on treadmills.

Around 40,000 MTV viewers voted for the poll. and the results will be broadcast on Sunday at 7pm on MTV Two and other MTV channels.

http://music.hollyscoop.com/ne-yo/ne-yo-still-working-on-material-for-michael-jackson_1133.aspx

Ne-Yo Still Working On Material For Michael Jackson
The entire world is waiting for Michael Jackson's rumored comeback, including the artists who are writing his songs. So should we hold our breath for his big comeback? Or are we just wasting our time?

Hollyscoop sat down with Ne-Yo to get the low down on one of the most talked about comebacks of the year. "I’m submitting songs for the record, and I know a few other people are," said Ne-Yo. "But I don’t know what he’s keeping, I don’t know what he’s recording."

He added, "I’ll send him 3 songs, and he’ll call me and go ‘Hey I really like number one, number two is nice, but I think the hook could be better. And number three, no that’s not really my style. So lets try some more. Send me some more. And that’s what its been for the past few months."

Judging from the progress they're making, its safe to assume we shouldn't expect a Michael Jackson comeback anytime soon. That and the fact that he won't leave his house without his pajamas. Probably not a good sign!

there is video-http://news.ninemsn.com.au/entertainment/634191/janet-jackson-turns-bondage-mistress
Janet Jackson turns bondage mistress

Janet Jackson has made a raunchy return to the stage during her first tour in seven years by giving a fan a taste of bondage.

The 42-year-old younger sister of Michael Jackson shocked fans as she bounded onto the Los Angeles Staples Centre stage clad in a space-cadet style catsuit for the first leg of her Rock Witchu tour.

Her dancers plucked a man from the audience before he was strapped into a black harness and suspended above the stage.

Jackson taunted him with raunchy moves, including straddling him and simulating sex, while singing the lyrics of her album's title song, 'Discipline'.

"Tie me to something, take off all my clothes… my punishment should fit my crime," she sang.

The fan appeared to be enjoying the act and was unable close his mouth or take his eyes off Jackson as the audience cheered and whistled.

Footage of the steamy performance has gained momentum on YouTube, with fans posting their suspicions it was staged.

"It’s gotta be staged!" one wrote.

Another "victim" was pulled from the audience and subjected to a similar performance on the tour's stop earlier this month in Oakland, according to reports.

Jackson is renowned for her suggestive lyrics in previous songs including 'Anytime, Anyplace' in which she fantasises about having sex on the dance floor.

Jackson skyrocketed to stardom in the 1980s with hit pop songs including 'Control', 'Escapade' and 'Rhythm Nation'.

But as her current tour — which heavily focuses on choreography and extravagant stage sets — shows, she has moulded her music into the naughties with R&B, hip hop and funk influences in 'So Much Betta' and 'Nasty'.

http://entertainment.oneindia.in/music/international/2008/michael-jackson-kfc-chicken-180908.html

Peeling the skin off a chicken makes it organic" Jackson

Perth (ANI): Former 'king of pop' Michael Jackson thinks that peeling the skin off a chicken makes it organic, if his close friend David Gest is to be believed. The television producer has revealed that the 'Thriller' star, a huge fan of fast food eatery KFC, thinks that fried chicken can be rid of all unnatural substances by removing its outer layer.

"I've been best friends with Michael for 40 years and I will defend his reputation until the day I die. When we hang out we visit antique stores, play Frisbee and go to KFC he thinks if you peel the skin off the chicken, it makes it organic. He cracks me up," Perth Now quoted him as telling Britain's Closer magazine.

Gest also revealed how former Busted star Matt Willis had changed his life ever since their meeting on British reality TV show 'I'm A Celebrity. Get Me Out of Here!'

We're like brothers. We hang out together every weekend in Camden. I used to enjoy fancy Hollywood restaurants, but I'm so over that now. I'm having the best time of my life," He said.

As singing voices go, his is about as close to Michael Jackson’s as today’s pop atmosphere allows,

Holy sh*t balls batman, NO IT'S NOT! Damn it!

As singing voices go, his is about as close to Michael Jackson’s as today’s pop atmosphere allows,
hell, no! :bugeyed :doh: i join WBSS strong protest on this one. and it is not only bec. i am a fan of MJ but bec. well... my ears are perfectly working

thnks for the news ....
here is an update on the masked man at pams arm

a little info
these so called androids where first seen at the venice film festival last month when one of them was with actress Laura Esposito, with the bemused crowd asking who the stranger was. and later also in belgium at the arms of miss belgium

They were revealed to be a part of a publicity stunt for car manufacturers The Lotus Group, who were drumming up interest for its forthcoming new car, the Eagle.

Last edited:

nothing new-they just spinned old news....so quiet...

good morrning everybody is saturday Yeah :)

here is website:http://www.thaindian.com/newsportal...have-been-none-other-than-*****_10097756.html

Pammies masked Fashion Week pal may have been none other than *****

Melbourne, Sept 20 (ANI): American actress Pamela Anderson was noticed for more than her ensemble at this year’’s London Fashion Week, when she was seen with a masked man rumoured to be king of pop Michael Jackson.

Anderson was seen with a host of other well-known celebs sitting at the front row viewing the latest collection from London’’s godmother of punk chic, Vivienne Westwood.

The Baywatch babe caused quite a stir with the man in the white mask and gloves sitting beside her, and Westwood’’s personal assistant was overheard telling members of the audience that the mysterious man was none other than the reclusive former king of pop, The Weekend Australian reported.

The two were rumoured to have hooked up earlier this month, with Jackson, 50, and Anderson, 41, reportedly having enjoyed two dates in Malibu, California.

“It was all arranged by their people in total secrecy, very cloak and dagger. Michael is such a private person. He gets nervous when he thinks people are following him around, so he chose somewhere neutral for their first date, News.com.au quoted a source as telling Britain’’s Daily Mirror newspaper at that time.

“They were very friendly. Pamela was being her usual flirty self and Michael seemed to be responding. They are such a strange couple but they seemed to really hit it off, the source added.

Other stars spotted at the show were London uber-model Kate Moss, actor Emma Watson, Pixie Geldof, burlesque performer Dita von Teese, Kimberley Stewart, daughter of rock star Rod Stewart, and singer Roisin Murphy. (ANI)

here is website:http://ukpress.google.com/article/ALeqM5jcst47M7KBZXT_VXxLc2JEfilWIg

Duran Duran top greatest video poll

Duran Duran's Rio has been named the greatest music video of all time.

The 1982 video, featuring the band in suits on a Caribbean beach being teased by scantily-clad women, beat favourites such as Michael Jackson's Thriller and Madonna's Like a Prayer to claim the title.

Bjork's video for her 1999 hit All Is Full of Love, where she played a robot in a steamy clinch with another robot, took second place.

here is website:http://www.realgmfootball.com/src_w...es_with_teammate_over_jackson_mccartney_duet/

Ocho Cinco Wrestles With Teammate Over Jackson-McCartney Duet

Cincinnati Enquirer - Chad Ocho Cinco played "The Girl Is Mine" on the locker room sound system Thursday afternoon. The Michael Jackson-Paul McCartney duet wasn't well received with rookie defensive tackle Jason Shirley.

Shirley walked by the stereo and turned it off. Ocho Cinco playfully came after him moments later.

The two wrestled for a few minutes, with Ocho Cinco mostly laughing and clinging to Shirley's leg.

Michael Jackson Mentionings:

http://www.411mania.com/music/colum...9.20.08:-The-Ultimate-80s-Mixtape-Edition.htm

The 411 Music Top Five 09.20.08: The Ultimate 80s Mixtape Edition
Posted by Ben Czajkowski on 09.20.2008

Earlier this week, 411Music writers rattled off their Top 5 songs from the 1980s. After tallying the songs from the readers' lists, which songs will be the Ultimate Top 5 Best Songs from the 1980s? Close to five dozen songs, but only 5 can win.

mixtapes_8308.jpg
[/center]Well, folks, welcome to the follow up edition of the Music Zone's Top Five. This week, we explored the best of the 1980s. Yes, that was a good decade, when Reagan was in office and Alf was the king of television. Hey, that's the decade that I was also born in. And a majority of you, as well.
Our writer's turned out some classy and some controversial lists. Some tracks were a no-brainer. A few of the best from the decade didn't even get an honorable mention. Boo! Luckily, though, many of the readers corrected these grave injustices on lists of their own.
Well, Top 5 is back with its first ever weekend edition. We're rockin' a la American Idol style with a wrap-up show. The votes are in, and they're tallied. By me. So, if I made a mistake, oh well. It doesn't mean anything.
Here's how I broke it down: I compiled a list of the top 5s from the comment section. From that, I found out which ones made lists multiple times. I do believe there were 58 individual songs. Of that, eleven tracks had repeated votes.
Now, five of those repeatedly voted tracks aligned with those of the writers. And since this is the top five, that's the magic number. Who will reign supreme in the end?! Find out after a word from our sponsor:
[/center]And we're back! Those are delicious, by the way.

[Honorable Mentions]

Van Halen - "Dreams", Metallica – "Master of Puppets", Metallica - "Fade To Black", Metallica - "One", Guns And Roses – "Paradise City", Motley Crue - "Home Sweet Home", Motley Crue – "Wild Side", Poison - "Talk Dirty To Me", Tears for Fears – "Head over Heels", Huey Lewis & The News - "Power of Love", A-ha - "Take On Me", Tom petty - "Free Fallin'", AC/DC - "For Those About To Rock", Tom Petty - Won't Back Down", Tom Petty – "Don't Come Around Here No More", Scorpions – "Still Loving You", Queen – "I Want It All", Styx – "Mr. Roboto", Night Ranger - "Sister Christian", Toto – "Rosanna", Toto – "Africa", The Police – "Every Breath You Take", The Bangles – "Walk Like An Egyptian", Crowded House – "Don't Dream, It's Over", Madonna – "Open Your Heart", Madonna – "Like a Virgin", Genesis – "Land of Confusion", Peter Gabriel – "Big Time", Cyndi Lauper – "Time After Time", Prince – "Purple Rain", Def Leppard – "Photograph", REO Speedwagon – "Keep On Loving You", Mr. Mister – "Broken Wings", Run DMC- "King of Rock", Run DMC- "Walk this Way", Michael Jackson – "Human Nature", Michael Jackson – "Wanna Be Starting Something", Rush – "Natural Science", Genesis – "Illegal Alien", Wasp – "Headless Children", Slayer – "Angel of Death", Human League – "Human", Dream Academy - "Life In A Northern Town", Hall and Oats – "Maneater", Pat Benatar – "Love Is A Battlefield", Ratt – "Round and Round"
Notes: "Video Killed The Radio Star" actually came out in 197X. That's why it didn't make my list.

[Runner Ups]

11. Tears For Fears - "Everybody Wants to Rule the World" (1985)
10. Bon Jovi - "Living On A Prayer" (1986)
09. Joe Jackson – "Steppin Out" (1982)
08. Guns 'N Roses - " Sweet Child O' Mine " (1987)
07. Van Halen - "Jump" (1984)
06. Beastie Boys - "Fight For Your Right To Party" (1986)

[Your 2008 Top 5 Best 1980s Songs]

05. Prince - "When Doves Cry" (1984): Of course, this track could only come from Purple Rain, the title track mentioned above. It was a worldwide hit and Prince's first American number one single and became the top-selling single of the year. Many have interpreted the "dove" as being a symbol of the Holy Spirit. The song has also been understood as Prince's cry to God: "how could you just leave me standing alone in a world that's so cold?"
whendovescry_8319.jpg
[/center]04. Guns 'N Roses - "Welcome To The Jungle" (1987): Regarded by many to be the reason that GNR is a household name, "Jungle" was the first major single from their debut album Appetite for Destruction. It's good to know that we can still listen to quality GNR while we wait forever for Chinese Democracy. This song is probably the song most often used by sports teams at their events.
welcome-to-the-jungle_8318.jpg
[/center]03. Michael Jackson - "Thriller" (1984): Does it really surprise you that the top three were from the King of Pop himself. , MJ was poppin' out some of the craziest and catchiest tunes on the face of the planet. The 14-minute video is regarded by many as the greatest music video of all-time.
thriller_8315.jpg
[/center]02. Michael Jackson - "Billie Jean" (1983): A two-Grammy-Award-winner and because of the video, the overall haunting nature, "Billie Jean" is regarded by some as ***** *****'s signature song. The song's lyrics allude to a girl who claims that Jackson was the father of her child. And who could forget his stylist live performance, in which Jackson dressed in a black fedora, a sparkly black jacket and a single white sequin glove while performing his most famous dance step, the moonwalk.
billiejean_8317.jpg
[/center]01. Michael Jackson - "Beat It" (1982): The third single from Thriller pulled in the most returned response from the readers and the writers. It is probably my favorite Michael Jackson song, as well. It garnered two Grammy Awards that year and contains one of the greatest guitar solos of all times, done by Eddie Van Halen. Of course, everyone knows the music video for it, as well.
beatit_8316.jpg
[/center]

http://www.star-telegram.com/dallas_news/story/922011.html

The Mavs and Stars no longer play there, but seats are once again on sale at Dallas’ Reunion Arena.
In addition to hosting basketball and hockey games, the arena was the site of performances by Garth Brooks, Madonna and Michael Jackson as well as events such as high-school graduations.

http://www.canada.com/montrealgazette/news/story.html?id=999cc560-ae5c-490d-8040-99519b44356d
Twenty-five years ago, Michael Jackson released the unforgettable album Thriller, McDonald's introduced the Chicken McNugget - and Hyundai opened its doors for business in Canada.

http://www.thetimes.co.za/News/Article.aspx?id=847542

Madiba and his new bride, Graça Machel, were feted by a variety concert featuring the best of the South African entertainment industry as well as international superstars such as Michael Jackson, Stevie Wonder and Nina Simone.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/travel/printedition/orl-bevil1908sep19,0,3220741.column

XZFR Rockin' Rollerdrome, a P.I. original, featured guests on skates. There was a spotting of then-Disney chairman Michael Eisner and then-superstar Michael Jackson. In 1990, the venue morphed into Rock 'n' Roll Beach Club, which remained open (and wheel-free) until this February

What kind of nonsense? Akon sounded like someone was hitting his back when he ruined that song. LOL.

Thanks for the news, marie and Enrico.

Will Michael be at Janet's concert?

http://www.lasvegasweekly.com/blogs/luxe-life/#/MC_Hammer/

Friday, Sept. 19
*Will Michael Jackson sneak in to watch his sister Janet perform at the Mandalay Bay Events Center? It’s the Rock Witchu tour -- her first in seven years. Janet’s boyfriend, record producer Jermaine Dupri, has been backstage masterminding the song and dance spectacular. After her opening night a week ago in Canada she taped this message for her fans:

Her 10th studio album, "Discipline," last year was the first to top the charts since the 2001's "All of You." The youngest of the Jackson clan, Janet has had her fair share of tabloid tribulations over the years, so this new tour is something of a comeback for her and from all the show reviews to date, she’s on a winning streak again.

It was a night on the town for superstar Janet Jackson and her hip-hop boyfriend, record producer Jermaine Dupree. They arrived last night (Thursday) and treated their band, their backup singers and dancers to a relaxing dinner at the new two-story lavish LAVO restaurant nightclub in the Palazzo.
More than 40 of their group took over a private dining room in the back of the Moroccan-Mediterranean themed complex. Jermaine is a good pal and told me that he’s expecting Janet’s brother, Michael, to sneak into the Mandalay Bay Events Center for the concert. Janet is on her new Rock Witchu tour, for the first time in seven years.

Plans in the works to celebrate Motown's 50th

motown-50-logo.jpg

Ready for a party, Detroit? You just bring yourself. They've got the music covered.

Behind the scenes, organizers have been quietly ramping up for the 50th anniversary of Motown Records, the Detroit institution that stands as the city's most famous export behind the automobile.

The festivities could bring a welcome blitz of positive attention to a city that has weathered a tumultuous 2008.

Specifics still aren't set -- with many decisions still in the hands of founder Berry Gordy Jr. -- but officials with Universal Music Group and the Motown Historical Museum expect the international celebration to roll out early in the new year.

Duke Fakir of the Four Tops said some Motown artists have been alerted to reserve Jan. 12 for appearances on national news programs.

"Nobody has said what's going to happen," Fakir said Tuesday. "They're just preparing the world for something major."

Plans -- or at least plans for plans -- have been simmering since early this year, with ongoing discussions among Gordy, Universal and the museum. Projects in the pipeline include a series of compilation albums and a definitive Motown documentary, years in the making by Gordy and his associate Suzanne de Passe.

Motown will be the showpiece of Vanity Fair's annual music issue, expected by year's end, with a shot of Motown stars by renowned rock photographer Annie Leibovitz.

As for events and other milestone markers, insiders continue to await word from Gordy's camp...

For the first time since Motown nostalgia became big business in the early 1980s, the anniversary festivities are being linked to a distinct date: Jan. 12, 1959, the day Gordy founded Motown's Tamla Records with an $800 family loan.

Earlier celebrations -- including the 25th anniversary special in 1983 that pushed Michael Jackson into the stratosphere -- were loosely tied to a starting year of 1958, when Gordy made his first forays into independent record production...

Read more >>> Motown 50th celebration plans

Re: September 19 - 21 (Will Michael go to Janet's Concert ?;Update on #23)

and then-superstar Michael Jackson

What kind of nonsense? LOL.

Anyway, I wondered if MJ was at the Janet concert last night? Hmmmm.....

"Nobody has said what's going to happen," Fakir said Tuesday. "They're just preparing the world for something major."

Mmmmmmmmmmmm it would be awesome and out of this world if Michael came out and did something major on the 50th anniversary of Motown. I am just dreaming I guess.

hey all the lovely ppls here :) i miss all :) :giggle:

Dorothy_Marie's Note: Rockstar I have already posted that (that is why I deleted it.Please read the news thread before posting anything else.

so does anyone know if michael di go to the concert i mean is there anyone who has been there here????

so does anyone know if michael di go to the concert i mean is there anyone who has been there here????

I think her concert is today if I am not mistaken. :scratch:Let me take a look around.

Back