How many copies will the New Album sell?

How many copies will the New Album sell in 5 years ?

• 0-5 million copies

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • 5-10 million copies

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • 10-15 million copies

Votes: 37 30.1%
  • 15-20 million copies

Votes: 18 14.6%
  • 20-25 million copies

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • 25-30 million copies

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • 30-40 million copies

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • More than 40 million copies

Votes: 18 14.6%

• Total voters

Hess

Proud Member
This thread is made only for fun and speculation, I think it would be fun to see how many copies people think the New Album will sell?

Let's say in a time frame for 5 years, how many copies do you think the album will sell?

Personally I think it will sell 10-15 million copies, depending on the quality of the songs, the promotion and how many singles will be released and how many videos will be made, and the quality of the videos etc.

What do you think?

0-5 I think.People just don't buy albums so much like they did in the past.I would love something like 10 or even 15m!

I think it can easily achieve 1-3 million simply for being "the first postumous MJ album". It will be promoted better than Vince I think so hopefully it'll pass the 10million mark :)

[FONT=&quot]It's too soon to talk about that, we know close to nothing about songs included in the 'new' album……but if it sells 10-15mil. copies, it would sure be great.
[/FONT]

in 5 years I picked 15 to 20 million b/c the This Is it soundtrack sold over 5 million world wide just over a year and it was another greatest hit album matter of fact i think all of his greatest hits album sold over the 5 million mark but this is a new album plus he gained many fans along with the millions he already has, so in 5 years proababl 15 to 20 million :)

I'm surprised someone think it will sell max 5 million copies in 5 years. - TII sold more than that in just a year. But you guess is just as good as mine.

Hopefully it sells more.

Whoever voted 30-40m is very optimistic - the record industry just doesn't work like that, I'm afraid.

boycott a sony

40611_416842278261_594743261_4647406_6502966_n.jpg

Michael say

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoifrHbs-IQ&feature=player_embedded

the promotion and how many singles will be released and how many videos will be made, and the quality of the videos etc. What do you think?

What type of "videos" can one expect when Michael isn't alive to star in them? Without him, the "quality," as in production values, of any video is moot. Also, there cannot be a tour to promote the album for obvious reasons. Sales will depend almost entirely on the quality of the music and good word of mouth.

Of course, the Michael Jackson fan community, with the exception of a few Sony boycotters, will purchase the album regardless of quality. I think the general public will be more enthusiastic for this project than Invincible. Negative aspects, like the allegations and his appearance in later years, that alienated him from large swaths of the general public in the Invincible era may be largely negated. Fans that started to abandon him, especially after 1993, but even after Thriller, will ride the wave of nostalgia and curious onlookers and newcomers who got on the bandwagon after his death will hopefully continue to be interested in his music.

I voted 10 to 15 million. I think it will get to about 7 million in the first year, with totals of 10-12 million by the end of the 5 years. That would be a great success in today's era.

:doh: :doh: :doh:

Get over it. MJ did. He made T25, KOP and wanted SONY to promote This Is It concerts. After Tommy Mottola was fired everything was fine.

I can't believe some fans. In your attempt to honour MJ by boycotting SONY you do the exact opposite! Help MJ get great sales numbers instead. MJ had no problem with SONY in the last many years of his life.

AND let's NOT make this an Invincible or SONY hate thread. Let's focus on sales! :)

Five million - eight million at a stab. If it does more than 10mil I'll be very surprised.

I know it's against the OP's idea, but why should the charts matter if it's quality? People didn't give a stuff about Michael's music besides Thriller so why should they care now when we know Kesha, Kylie Minogue, Britney Spears and other rubbish acts are taking over the charts?

I said 15-20 million....Maybe it's a stretch....but who knows....I can see this album selling a hell of a lot more than we think....but in the same token, maybe not as much as we think...I really believe this could go either way....People may go either absolutely bonkers for this new album, or maybe people won't care as much...who knows...that's my guess, but we'll have to just wait and see....Yeah, maybe 15-20 is a stretch, but it IS Michael Jackson, so you never know!

If Michael sells 10 - 15 million, that would be a great achievement :) Very few artists get those sales nowadays. The most popular artist right now, Lady Gaga, is around the 15 million mark for both her albums combined.

It will depend on the quality of the music, the music will sell itself. I couldn't move the first time i properly heard billie jean, i was like how can a song be this catchy and this amazing i just don't understand. Of course a million listens later i still love it like hell, but it doesn't do that to me anymore. But thats what a new album of quality material can do, it can literally blow you away into a shaken wreck. If this album reaches heights like that, heights not seen anymore in todays industry then it will sell like hell, people will be begging for it. Promotion is important, but as long as it's brought to the forfront the tracks should sell themseleves, they just need to be recognised. An amazing album from michael jackson will sell, especially in todays market of weaker music, it doesn't sell cause people wan't crap, it sells because thats all the record labels offer, it's that or nothing if you want to appear cool and into modern music. Michael can put that quality back into the industry if these tracks are super strong, people will relish this.

I would say if sony play their cards right, ie. make videos not just like OMC, but be inventive, I think the MJtunes video for whatever happens was a great example of what can be done...

I would say no more than 20 million. The audience is gone now, people would much rather just illegally for free :(

It is not like in the " old " days when ppl were buying 2 copies of Thriller in case something happens to the record...:)
But anyway, I think it will sell great. It"s Michael Jackson we are talking about.
Despite downloading, I think most of people are will buy it. Original is original.
15 - 20 millions

even though torrents will take a chunk out of sales it well sell A Lot, especially if they release a good single and promote it.
We have to remember
1)he broke a ton of records
2)oftentimes in death artists become even more iconic
3)you know everyone will want to listen for the next Billie Jean even those that go around youtube leaving bad comments about him

Back