The Fanfic Cliches thread.

Ms. BlueGangsta

Proud Member
I was reading an MJ fanfic, and for what seems like the thousandth time (or more) Michael met a girl, fell in love with her instantly, and had sex with her all in the same day.

Now, I love a good MJ smut/PWP fanfic, but the amount of stories where MJ falls in love with and f***s a girl (sometimes repeatedly) in the same day is too damn high!

So I made this thread to discuss all of the annoying fanfic cliches out there.
I'll kick things off with a question.

Which cliche annoys you the most?

I don't read a lot of fanfics but the womaniser cliche is indeed annoying. Or the fanfics that try to make MJ seem like such a "manly man", cursing up a storm and drinking beer and stuff. I don't see the point of writing an MJ fanfic when the main character has nothing in common with MJ apart from the name. But, to each his own I guess. A lot of fans do seem to love it.

Cool thread (y)

I've read tons of Fan fiction and indeed the one thing that really 'ticks' me off and makes me 'skip' the story is the 'overrated' adult scenes. It can be exciting sometimes but the key is NOT to overdo it lol.

What also 'bothers' me is some writers pick one 'weak' point and just 'blow' it up giving the reader a totally wrong idea of who MJ really is. One example that really turned me off was in one story MJ always had a glass of red wine by hand. I thought, okay mention it once or twice but don't make an 'alcoholic' out of him, you know!

I agree, Fan fiction should always lean to the 'truth' and at least have the 'key points' of MJ's character otherwise, it's just a story with a block called MJ lol.

Another cliché or something I 'struggle' with is that Fan fiction is rather 'limited' in 'character development' :smilerolleyes: as you exactly need to stay true to the character of MJ :blush: Maybe, that's why I haven't written one in ages now :blink:

I read fanfiction, too. A little detail that seems to appear in every story is Michael´s "winking" and also his "smirking". In some stories he winks and smirks at someone (usually the "main" girl) in every third sentence. :lol:

Sometimes I´m tempted to count his winks per page / per story. lol

barbee0715;4167862 said:
At least they have him falling in love first!
True LOL.

moonstruck87;4167891 said:
I read fanfiction, too. A little detail that seems to appear in every story is Michael´s "winking" and also his "smirking". In some stories he winks and smirks at someone (usually the "main" girl) in every third sentence. :lol:

OMG this is so true.:rofl:

Daryll748;4167889 said:
Cool thread (y)

I've read tons of Fan fiction and indeed the one thing that really 'ticks' me off and makes me 'skip' the story is the 'overrated' adult scenes. It can be exciting sometimes but the key is NOT to overdo it lol.

What also 'bothers' me is some writers pick one 'weak' point and just 'blow' it up giving the reader a totally wrong idea of who MJ really is. One example that really turned me off was in one story MJ always had a glass of red wine by hand. I thought, okay mention it once or twice but don't make an 'alcoholic' out of him, you know!

I agree, Fan fiction should always lean to the 'truth' and at least have the 'key points' of MJ's character otherwise, it's just a story with a block called MJ lol.

Another cliché or something I 'struggle' with is that Fan fiction is rather 'limited' in 'character development' :smilerolleyes: as you exactly need to stay true to the character of MJ :blush: Maybe, that's why I haven't written one in ages now :blink:

^^^^
This!

I can't stand when people focus heavily on Michael drinking, smoking, having sex, etc.
IMO it makes a story VERY one-dimensional.
I also can't stand when people make Michael completely OOC.
It makes me feel like I'm just reading a story starring a guy that just so happens to be named Michael Jackson in it instead of the actual MJ.

The mean guy cliche. I hate when writers make Michael seem straight up like a jackass in their fanfictions. I just can't see it, that's not at all like him.
Also something tells me you'd hate the MJ fanfics on that WattPad website. It's so hard to find good stuff on there!

You must be seeing all the good stuff then. Most of what I see are fanfictions with horrible grammar :\ I do go on WattPad too to search for different stories and I rarely find stories I like lol.

You must be seeing all the good stuff then. Most of what I see are fanfictions with horrible grammar :\ I do go on WattPad too to search for different stories and I rarely find stories I like lol.
Nah, I've actually come across so much horrible grammar that I've began auto-correcting things in my mind.
If a story isn't too bad that's what I'll do, but if there's horrible grammar every other sentence then I don't read it. :/

moonstruck87;4167891 said:
A little detail that seems to appear in every story is Michael´s "winking" and also his "smirking". In some stories he winks and smirks at someone (usually the "main" girl) in every third sentence. :lol:

I haven't read a fanfic in years but I remember the lip bite would be mentioned about a 100 times per story too :lol: I get that it's hot but in a lot of stories it's all just a bit too much haha.

Lil;4168328 said:
I haven't read a fanfic in years but I remember the lip bite would be mentioned about a 100 times per story too :lol: I get that it's hot but in a lot of stories it's all just a bit too much haha.

Oh yes, yes, yes! :lol: How could I forget.

Another one: The women look into "his large brown doe eyes" / "large pools of chocoloate" at least once per page.
And Michael is speaking to the girls "softly" most of the time.

Now I feel mean for making fun of these cliches. I´m reading the stories myself! :lol:

Have you guys also noticed that the relationships progress extremely fast in fanfics? Like Michael will meet a woman and two weeks later they're planning the wedding. Sometimes I'm reading a story and the timeline isn't mentioned so I assume that it is playing out over several years because of all the drama that is going on, but then I get to chapter 35 and it's mentioned that they've only been dating for three months :blink: I find this really annoying. To have that much drama in that little time must be exhausting.

Also, there is apparently some law that says that every Michael Jackson fanfic must include marriage and pregnancy :smilerolleyes: A few chapters before the pregnancy is 'revealed', the woman will start to have all the stereotypical signs like overeating, mood swings, weight gain etc. It's such a worn out cliche at this point.

Have you tried mjfiction? There are some good stories on there. I just got done reading The Accused, it's probably the best one I've read so far. The Michael in that story is exactly how I imagine him to be :)

One that bothers me is the girl is almost always closed, hard, cold-hearted, a loner, someone who doesn't want a relationship, and Michael's always the only one who can draw them out and bring out their soft, sweet, kind side. And marriage is inevitable, of course :D

Have you tried mjfiction? There are some good stories on there. I just got done reading The Accused, it's probably the best one I've read so far. The Michael in that story is exactly how I imagine him to be :)
Yes I looove mjfiction! I check that site almost every day. I might check out The Accused too.

Nah, I've actually come across so much horrible grammar that I've began auto-correcting things in my mind.If a story isn't too bad that's what I'll do, but if there's horrible grammar every other sentence then I don't read it. :/
I do the same, but I sometimes will read the horribly written stories to get a good laugh lol...that's probably mean tho.

Another cliche is that the main person/woman is veeery sensitive and cries a lot. I've read a couple of really good stories, but they always contain a lot of crying and drama :) But hey, thats a lot better than poorly written stories with sex and abuse in the first chapter..

i don't know why but i always come across fan fiction in which Michael sees a girl during a concert, tell the staff to bring her on the backstage or at his house and he immidiately falls in love with her. ( i mean wth.. how did he saw her in the first place among the huge crowd?) :bored2: Or otherwise Michael is about to go home from a concert and somehow the girl manages to meet him before he gets in the car and he takes her home.

I'd like to read more realistic fanfiction.. Or one that doesn't include michael falling in love the same night he meets the girl.

i don't know why but i always come across fan fiction in which Michael sees a girl during a concert, tell the staff to bring her on the backstage or at his house and he immidiately falls in love with her. ( i mean wth.. how did he saw her in the first place among the huge crowd?) :bored2: Or otherwise Michael is about to go home from a concert and somehow the girl manages to meet him before he gets in the car and he takes her home.

I'd like to read more realistic fanfiction.. Or one that doesn't include michael falling in love the same night he meets the girl.
OMG, I come across that type of fanfic all the time too.
It's like "yeah, I'm MJ the biggest star in the world, let me take home some woman who could be a crazed fan."
Those type of fanfics make zero sense most of the time.

I was reading an MJ fanfic, and for what seems like the thousandth time (or more) Michael met a girl, fell in love with her instantly, and had sex with her all in the same day.

Now, I love a good MJ smut/PWP fanfic, but the amount of stories where MJ falls in love with and f***s a girl (sometimes repeatedly) in the same day is too damn high!

So I made this thread to discuss all of the annoying fanfic cliches out there.
I'll kick things off with a question.

Which cliche annoys you the most?

This one.

I am cackling at this thread, this is all so good and hilarious haha!

My pet peeve is when writers use Ghosts' setting just to have an excuse to be "not like other girls" and have sex with Maestro. Ghosts has such a cool message, story, cast, and atmosphere and it makes me so disappointed that people don't take advantage of that to write a cool story.

Another pet peeve is when people re-write the the short film to include themselves. So it's essentially the screenplay of the film with them stealing lines or interjecting original content, but not actually changing the story.

This isn't really a trope, but I do wish that more people wrote in the settings of the music videos. Having realistic fiction about Michael is all cool, but I do wish that the worlds and stories that he built could be featured more in stories.

Read this thread, almost all of the comments are so funny, I couldn't stop laughing while reading, this is better than comedy. I wouldn't read any fanfics which are on other sources than this as most of them are not MJ friendly.

I mostly agree, most of them move too fast in the relationship and they pretty much all go the same way. and also yes there is so much poor grammar and writing on wattpad. does anyone have recommendations for better places to my own fanfics? I'd like to think they're decently written at least they have real grammar. lmao.

I am cackling at this thread, this is all so good and hilarious haha!

My pet peeve is when writers use Ghosts' setting just to have an excuse to be "not like other girls" and have sex with Maestro. Ghosts has such a cool message, story, cast, and atmosphere and it makes me so disappointed that people don't take advantage of that to write a cool story.

Another pet peeve is when people re-write the the short film to include themselves. So it's essentially the screenplay of the film with them stealing lines or interjecting original content, but not actually changing the story.

This isn't really a trope, but I do wish that more people wrote in the settings of the music videos. Having realistic fiction about Michael is all cool, but I do wish that the worlds and stories that he built could be featured more in stories.
I am guilty of rewriting moonwalker's plot story with myself in it because some of the points were infuriating to me XD

Oh this thread is hilarious lol, it's been awhile since I've read any fanfics but I read a few good ones back in the day and my word any of those cliches just make me laugh so hard :ROFLMAO:

Michael
  • Bad era Mike.
  • Winks, smirks, bites lip.
  • Makes the main girl nervous.
  • Good kisser/lover...
  • Womanizer.
Main girl
  • She is very pretty.
  • Younger than Michael.
  • Has a dark past (she was abused, neglected, bullied, etc)
  • Has a tragic family life (her parents are strict/hate her, one of them died, etc)
  • She is shy, sweet, innocent and inexperienced.
  • She crushes on Michael as soon as they meet! (who wouldn't?)

I think Michael meets Slipstream is cool when you can find it. Not much of it about when i last looked.
Also military sci fi sometimes. Dystopia is another guilty pleasure.

Back