31st March, 2008: MJ News and Mentionings

Nobody knows what Slash was asked before or after he made that quote. I mean, the article is about "Slash & Hip-Hop." There is a part of the conversation that is missing. LOL! We don't even know how the reporter went from talking about "Slash & Hip-Hop" TO talking about Michael Jackson.

Slash surely didn't just say that one-line for no reason. We would need to know what the question(s) was, before we can put that quote into the proper context.

CHART DATE: 03/31/2008
LAST UPDATE: 03/31/2008 11:55:22
NOW IN: 45.86%

LW TW artist / album label power index
-- 1 DAY26 BAD BOY/ATLANTIC 122,192
DAY26
-- 2 PANIC AT THE DISCO FUELED BY RAMEN 55,869
PRETTY. ODD.
1 3 DANITY KANE BAD BOY/ATLANTIC 48,808
WELCOME TO THE DOLLHOUSE
2 4 NOW 27 SBMG/COMMERICAL MUSIC GRP 37,559
VARIOUS ARTISTS
-- 5 COUNTING CROWS GEFFEN 35,220
SATURDAY NIGHTS SUNDAY MORNINGS
4 6 RICK ROSS DEF JAM/IDJMG 24,393
TRILLA
5 7 JACK JOHNSON BRUSHFIRE/UNIV REPUBLIC 13,698
SLEEP THROUGH THE STATIC
6 8 TAYLOR SWIFT BIG MACHINE 13,612
TAYLOR SWIFT
3 9 FLO RIDA ATLANTIC 13,490
MAIL ON SUNDAY
12 10 ALVIN & THE CHIPMUNKS RAZOR & TIE 13,464
SOUNDTRACK
15 11 ALAN JACKSON ARISTA NASHVILLE 13,372
GOOD TIME
10 12 HANNAH MONTANA WALT DISNEY RECORDS 11,972
BEST OF BOTH WORLDS CONCERT
9 13 SNOOP DOGG GEFFEN 11,772
EGO TRIPPIN'
11 14 MICHAEL JACKSON LEGACY 11,650
THRILLER - 25TH ANNIVERSARY ED.

CHART DATE: 03/31/2008
LAST UPDATE: 03/31/2008 12:20:28
NOW IN: 56.37%

LW TW artist / album label power index
-- 1 DAY26 BAD BOY/ATLANTIC 133,622
DAY26
-- 2 PANIC AT THE DISCO FUELED BY RAMEN 92,380
PRETTY. ODD.
-- 3 COUNTING CROWS GEFFEN 76,935
SATURDAY NIGHTS SUNDAY MORNINGS
1 4 DANITY KANE BAD BOY/ATLANTIC 55,308
WELCOME TO THE DOLLHOUSE
2 5 NOW 27 SBMG/COMMERICAL MUSIC GRP 39,141
VARIOUS ARTISTS
4 6 RICK ROSS DEF JAM/IDJMG 27,086
TRILLA
-- 7 RACONTEURS WARNER BROS. 25,778
CONSOLERS OF THE LONELY
5 8 JACK JOHNSON BRUSHFIRE/UNIV REPUBLIC 19,885
SLEEP THROUGH THE STATIC
20 9 GNARLS BARKLEY ATLANTIC 17,185
ODD COUPLE
6 10 TAYLOR SWIFT BIG MACHINE 15,880
TAYLOR SWIFT
7 11 SARA BAREILLES EPIC 14,982
LITTLE VOICE
3 12 FLO RIDA ATLANTIC 14,950
MAIL ON SUNDAY
-- 13 B-52S ASTRALWERKS 14,562
FUNPLEX
15 14 ALAN JACKSON ARISTA NASHVILLE 14,358
GOOD TIME
12 15 ALVIN & THE CHIPMUNKS RAZOR & TIE 13,464
SOUNDTRACK
9 16 SNOOP DOGG GEFFEN 13,240
EGO TRIPPIN'
11 17 MICHAEL JACKSON LEGACY 13,101
THRILLER - 25TH ANNIVERSARY ED.

I almost forgott.. Fergie was on the radio today and she talked about Thriller 25..

Basically her and will.i.am were talking about the album, and Fergie asked him if anyone has done 'Beat It' yet.. He said no, so she just worked on the song (without MJ knowing) and Will.i.am suprised Michael with the song and he liked it.. This is when he called her and told her that he liked the gritty sound to her voice. etc..

so just thought you guys would like to know that.. a little behind the scene info.. bringing the story to life a bit.

When are they gonna release another single from T25 in the US? Looks like this is needed right now since the album is sinking a little.

However, it still is doing good.

but also whose source is none other than the person who is supposed to be producing the new album... says MJ is NOT working on new material, everyone ignores it.

Shame on you MJ for lying.

will himself has said that hes been working on new material with mj in the studio. so no ones lieing.he said hes not recording any new material soon its fact hes been recording for donkeys years already

"There's much more to come from Michael Jackson". - Himself, on occasion of the NRJ awards' acceptance speech. That, to me, is enough of a proof.

Thanks for the news.

He added: “I was with Will.i.am, who remixed Thriller recently but he said Michael wasn’t recording any new material soon."

Two things came to my mind when I read this pathetic quote:

1. Slash NEEDS to stop talking about MJ because apparently this guy is not going to be anywhere near MJ's new music.

2. These laughable media clowns need to stop asking that has been Slash about MJ.

GET THIS THROUGH YOUR HEAD

Slash saying Will.i.am said something does not MEAN Will.i.am really said it.. And if he did, you have NO idea the context of the conversation..

JANUARY OF THIS YEAR Will.i.am stated that him (will.i.am) and Michael are working on an album that will be released AFTER thriller 25.

Videos have been posted of WILL.I.AM saying this and SEVERAL other videos with simular comments..

Yet some of us chose to fallow a 3rd part.. (This guy said that this other guy said...)

YOU CAN HEAR THE TRUTH STRAIGHT FROM WILL.I.AM'S mouth..

I think some people love making themselves sad.. They WANT to believe in the bad news over the real good news. It's like chosing to be depressed. It just does not make sence..

view the videos of Will.i.AM himself.. and others...

http://www.mjjcommunity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25059&page=117

IMO.. you''ll are making a mountain out of a mole hill again...

As always! But what else is new w/MJ fans? They always do this. This is really much ado about nothing if you ask me. Slash is not even a reliable source. I believe Michael is working on a new album (when it's actually coming out is another story lol, but there IS proof that he's working on new material).

Last edited:
Man whom helped create the storyboard to the video "Thriller" dies.

http://www.upi.com/NewsTrack/Entertainment/2008/03/31/rocketeer_creator_stevens_dead_at_52/7090/

'Rocketeer' creator Stevens dead at 52

TURLOCK, Calif., March 31 (UPI) -- Comic book artist Dave Stevens, who created the character the Rocketeer, has died in Turlock, Calif., of complications from treatment for leukemia.

William Stout confirmed his friend's death at the age of 52 to The New York Times.

Stevens' love of the 1930s, early aviation, film hero Commando Cody and 1950s pinup model Bettie Page inspired him to created the Rocketeer and his world in 1982, Stout said.

Tom Spurgeon, a comic book critic, noted on his Web site comicsreporter.com that "Rocketeer proved to be one of the first sensations of the independent-comics movement."

Stevens, a Lynwood, Calif. native, began his career by contributing drawings to the program book for the San Diego Comic Convention. He got his first paying gig in 1975 as an assistant to artist Russ Manning, who penned the newspaper comic strip "Tarzan."

Stevens also worked on Hanna-Barbera's animated shows "Super Friends" and "Godzilla." In addition, he helped create the storyboards for the classic film "Raiders of the Lost Ark" and Michael Jackson's groundbreaking "Thriller" music video, the Times said.

Stevens is survived by his mother, two sisters and a brother

And I picked up on something else Will I Am said....

He said that he couldn't talk about the details of the album when that journalist asked him about it. Then he joked about Michael saying, "I thought I told you not to say anything?" Then he imitated a slap upside his own head and said that Michael would kill him. Then he gave the reason why he could not talk......

MICHAEL WANTS TO SHOCK THE WORLD!

That part right there lets me know that Michael wants to come out with a BANG. He wants deafening silence, then he wants all of the media talking about him and his new album all at once.

So I think that what Michael is gonna do first is release an announcement with a release date. When he does that, everybody in the media will report it and the news will go AROUND THE WORLD WITHIN HOURS! And from that point onward, the campaign will begin and the media will be scrambling to be the first to report on his first single....first video...tour dates.....collobarations....etc.

And that first single is gonna be the most anticipated song of the year by all the urban and pop radio stations. You can bet on it. Radio is gonna be bumpin that joint!

And for the people who thought that Invincible was not that great of an album.....it still sold 2 mil copies in 4 weeks on the strength of one single and the name recognition that comes with being Michael Jackson. So if Invincible can sell this well....then can you imagine how well his brand new album is gonna sell? I can not see MJ08 doing any less than Invincible coming out the gate. Can you?

So I expect this album to....

1. Debut at number one on the Billboard 200.
  2. Sell 1 mil copies for 4 straight weeks in a row.
  3. Have at least one single to follow You Are Not Alone by debuting at number 1.
  4. Have at least 5 singles reach number 1.
  5. Win Michael at least 3 Grammies to add to the 13 he already has.

Leave Michael alone. It's his business whether he will release an album or not...he knows better than us or anyone what's best for him! Stop with all the speculations we just have to wait for his own words. Maybe the man wants to take it easy or even retire be patient and have faith in him!

Last edited:
GET THIS THROUGH YOUR HEAD

I think some people love making themselves sad.. They WANT to believe in the bad news over the real good news. It's like chosing to be depressed. It just does not make sence..

view the videos of Will.i.AM himself.. and others...

http://www.mjjcommunity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25059&page=117

That's so true, unfortunately.

Thank you for your wake-up calls, one needs something like that from time to time to be reminded to have more faith.

Twenty-Six Years On, MJ's 'Thriller' Still Going Strong

The Nation (Nairobi)

NEWS
29 March 2008
Posted to the web 31 March 2008

By Philip Mwaniki
Nairobi
Before he became ***** *****, American musician Michael Jackson was aptly known as the Prince of Pop. And for a good reason; he churned out albums that pitched tent on the Top 10 charts worldwide.
As a young man in November 1981, the "musical phenomenon" released his sixth solo album, Thriller, and with it he set a record that stands to date. Thriller was a monster hit, and thrilled it has such that last November, the music world celebrated the album's 26 years since it was released.

It had seven hit singles, including The Girl is Mine (with Paul McCartney), Beat It and Billie Jean, had classic music videos and became the best-selling studio album in music history with sales varying between 50 million and 100 million.
According to the BBC, the Guinness Book of World Records has it as 65 million copies sold as of 2007. Thriller still sells an estimated 130,000 copies a year in the US.
It is one of only three albums to remain in the Top 10 of the Billboard 200 for a full year, spending 80 consecutive weeks there.
Some 37 of those days were spent at the No. 1 spot and it was the first of three albums to have seven Billboard Hot 100 top-10 singles and the only one to date to be the best-seller for two years (1983-1984) in the US.
Whether you were around when the album was released or not, listening to it today will convince you that Jackson really pushed himself to the limit and succeeded. It was genius from the beginning to the end; indeed, the most complete album ever.
But with bad public relations over the past few years, what with child molestation cases and bankruptcy, the king of pop is looking to re-establish himself as the greatest artiste ever. And to do that, he has decided to appeal to the new generation who are dominating the music industry and who were not there when Thriller was released.
Now, to celebrate its 25th anniversary, the album has been given a slight makeover with new and previously unreleased bonus tracks, and is known as Thriller 25.
Although Thriller 25 was a flop when it was launched, it still created a lot of buzz and the master of ceremony was even offered as much $1 million (Sh70 million) per show in London, but he turned it down.
In 2007, NARM/The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame ranked Thriller third on their "Definitive 200" albums list.
Recorded between April and November 1982, with several members of Toto, it was the second of Jackson albums Quincy Jones produced.
Showing growing creativity, Jackson wrote four of the Thriller songs. Following the hit, The Girl is Mine, a pop duet with then friend Paul McCartney, single Billie Jean made Thriller a chart-topper.
Success expanded with crossover rock hit Beat It, featuring guitarist Eddie van Halen.
Jackson was nominated for 12 Grammy Awards in 1984, winning a record-breaking eight in a year.
Seven were for Thriller's album of the year and the other for the ET storybook track, Someone in the Dark.
That same year, Jackson also won eight American Music awards, the Special Award of Merit and three MTV Video Music awards.
At 25, the New York Times called Jackson a "musical phenomenon", saying that "in the world of pop music, there is Michael Jackson and there is everybody else."
Time magazine explained that "the fallout from Thriller has given the (music) business its best years since the heady days of 1978, when it had an estimated total domestic revenue of $4.1 billion (Sh287 million)." Thriller also helped to bring African-American music into the mainstream radio for the first time since the mid 1970s.
And it did not stop there, Thriller even revolutionalised music videos. It is often claimed that Jackson was the first person to make music videos an art, with influential story-telling and choreography styles.
Short films like Thriller largely remained unique to Jackson, but the group dance sequence in Beat It has been frequently imitated and that in Thriller become part of a global pop culture, replicated everywhere from Bollywood to the American prisons.
Central to Jackson's success with music videos was new channel MTV, which put his videos in heavy rotation throughout the 1980s and 1990s. Before then, he struggled to get MTV airing because he was black.
To change this, it is reported that CBS Records President Walter Yetnikoff denounced MTV, saying: "I'm pulling everything we have off the air" and "I'm not going to give you any more videos. And I'm going to go public and tell them about the fact you don't want to play music by a black guy".
This harsh stance worked; MTV started showing Billie Jean, forming a lengthy partnership with Jackson and helping other black music artistes. When the 14-minute-long Thriller video aired in December 1983, MTV ran it up to twice an hour to meet demand. It scared viewers, but marked an increase in sale for music videos and is often called the best-ever music video.
A number of highly published events throughout 1984 and 1985 have been attributed to increasing the album's sales. On March 25, 1983, Jackson performed Billie Jean live on the Motown 25: Yesterday, Today, Forever show.
After reuniting with the Jackson five, he remained on stage, dressed in trademark high-cuffed trousers to show his white socks and a single sequined glove. Jackson grabbed his crotch, donned a black fedora and danced, debuting his signature move - the moonwalk. The moonwalk, the tornado spin and toe balancing became a famous combination.
Greatest dancers
Despite having lip-synced the vocals, the performance was popular and over 47 million viewers watched the first televised airing, often being compared to Elvis and The Beatles appearing on The Ed Sullivan show, and helped many view Jackson as one of the greatest dancers of all time.
On January 27, 1984 Jackson began filming two Pepsi Cola commercials at the Shrine Auditorium in Los Angeles in front of a simulated live audience. As he descended a podium fireworks set hair alight and he fell to the floor. The incident was heavily publicised, with Jackson receiving sympathy from the public, celebrities and even the president.
When the actual recording of events was aired, Thriller sales were up by 150,000 copies from the previous week. The album influenced numerous artistes, crossing genres, and Gil Friesen, the president of A&M Records, said that "the whole industry has a stake in this success." The Making of Michael Jackson's Thriller sold over 350,000 copies in a few months.
Thriller raised the importance of albums, but multiple hits also changed notions about the number of singles to release. Although singles had already fallen in importance, Thriller's release firmly established albums as the dominant force in the industry.
Jackson was rarely referred to as a "black singer" and his success was unusual for a black artiste in the 1980s, being one of the first on a Rolling Stone cover and one of the first to have a replica doll. Time summed up Thriller's impact as a "restoration of confidence" for an industry bordering "the ruins of punk and the chic regions of synthesiser pop".

[FONT=Arial, Geneva, Helvetica, sans-serif] Copyright © 2008 The Nation. All rights reserved. Distributed by AllAfrica Global Media (allAfrica.com).

[/FONT]http://allafrica.com/stories/200803310036.html?viewall=1

Really, why do some MJ fans just love dwelling in negativity? I swear we get it so much from the media that some of us fans have a hard time distinguishing sense from non-sense!*sheesh*

I really do think that some people are just too heavily invested in all things Michael Jackson....try having a life outside of this man and you'll see that whether you get a new album or not, it won't be the end of the world.

Back