A Film Release Of Michael Jacksons Bad Tour 1988/89! PETITION | All help needed!

I’ve also posted this on the Prince.org forum, hope they can help us too.

Of course, you can even do an 100K if the technology were possible, but I was saying that it doesn't help much to ask for a 4K release, because most footage from those 1080p Blu-ray releases aren't even real 1080p, meaning some negatives only has limited details, so higher resolution won't help much.

Not really. Warner did a 2K scan back then, don't forget it was a decade ago, the technology improved a lot since. 4K scans weren't common because very expensive, now it became the standard for 35mm productions. Moonwalker was shot in 35mm (except some music videos segments in the beginning), so a 4K scan would be necessary. To be clear, the current blu-ray doesn't even exploit the half of the camera negative because of the 2K scan, also it's not HDR.

A new 4K scan from the original camera negative would improve the picture quality over the current Blu-ray/scan.

By the way I don't understand what you mean by "Blu-ray releases aren't real 1080p" because that's the whole point of the blu-ray technology. Only "SD Blu-ray" aren't in high definition.

Of course Blu-ray discs don't have the same PQ because it depends of many factors ; What film stocks/lens were used, are the original camera negatives still preserved or just a copy/print ? Resolution of the scan etc...

I have seen Thriller 3D (4K restoration), the quality was unbelievable, trust me.

A 16mm camera negative is around 2K
A 35mm camera negative is around 4K
A 65mm camera negative is around 8K

Last edited:
Not really. Warner did a 2K scan back then, don't forget it was a decade ago, the technology improved a lot since. It wasn't common to do a 4K, now it became the standard for 35mm productions. Moonwalker was shot in 35mm (except some music videos segments in the beginning), so a 4K scan would be necessary. To be clear, the current blu-ray doesn't even exploit the half of the camera negative because of the 2K scan, also it's not HDR.

A new 4K scan from the original camera negative would improve the picture quality over the current Blu-ray/scan.

By the way I don't understand what you mean by "Blu-ray releases aren't real 1080p" because that's the whole point of the blu-ray technology. Only "SD Blu-ray" aren't in high definition.

Of course Blu-ray discs don't have the same PQ because it depends of many factors ; What film stocks were used, are the original camera negative still preserved or just a copyv? Resolution of the scan ? Etc...

I have seen Thriller 3D who were shot in 35mm and restored in 4K, the quality was unbelievable, trust me.

A 16mm camera negative is around 2K
A 35mm camera negative is around 4K
A 65mm camera negative is around 8K

Thanks for this wonderful post and clarification. ??

I have seen Thriller 3D who were shot in 35mm and restored in 4K, the quality was unbelievable, trust me.

Thriller was showed in theater in "IMAX 3D". It was never released in 4K, so I don't know where you'd seen it in 4K.

I've said it and I'll say it again. The real quality for most shots in Moonwalker is not even 1080p. If you don't believe me, take a screenshot of any frame you want, and compare it to a 1080p wallpaper, or a modern 1080p movie, and you would find that the Moonwalker negative is lack of details, not lack of resolution.

You won't get more details from a negative lack of details, even if you do a 100K scan (if that were possible).

To be honest, I'd be really glad if the Estate can do a Blu-ray release correctly. Don't expect they'd do a proper 4K remaster. It's probably better if they don't remaster (ruin) it.

HappyLeeHL;4299110 said:
Thriller was showed in theater in "IMAX 3D". It was never released in 4K, so I don't know where you'd seen it in 4K.

I've said it and I'll say it again. The real quality for most shots in Moonwalker is not even 1080p. If you don't believe me, take a screenshot of any frame you want, and compare it to a 1080p wallpaper, or a modern 1080p movie, and you would find that the Moonwalker negative is lack of details, not lack of resolution.

You won't get more details from a negative lack of details, even if you do a 100K scan (if that were possible).

To be honest, I'd be really glad if the Estate can do a Blu-ray release correctly. Don't expect they'd do a proper 4K remaster. It's probably better if they don't remaster (ruin) it.

Thriller 3D was shown in 4K per eye which is very different compared to the “Real3D” technology used years ago at cinemas.

With all due respect, I thought of all people you should be the one with more knowledge about this subject. Maybe you don’t have the equipment to watch 4K Blu-rays on a modern OLED screen? If you don’t, you should if you have the possibility. It’s much better than watching it on streaming services. The bitrates on 4K Blu-ray are sometimes hitting 100mbps. It’s amazing.

I’ve said it before and will say it again. 4K Dolby Vision is the standard nowadays and we must aim for that quality since it’s easy to do so with 35mm film with the current technology. Sony has the best equipment at the moment to author pristine 4K Blu-ray’s. Sure, there could be soft shots due to the age of the reels, but the quality should be breathtaking. Recently I saw “Top Gun” on 4K Blu-ray (Dolby Vision grade) which has a 4K DI and the quality was nothing short of jaw dropping. It looked like the picture was shot yesterday.

IMWhizzle;4299049 said:
I’ve also posted this on the Prince.org forum, hope they can help us too.
Yeah, not the best course of action

IMAX 3D isn't a resolution. IMAX 3D has other specifications ; it has larger screen than standard cinemas, has wall to wall (floor to ceiling) screen. While watching a movie in IMAX 3D, the screen itself covers the most of view of our eyes i.e.
Any movie shot/converted in 3D, whatever how it was shot; 16mm, 35mm, 2K digital or 4K digital can be seen in a IMAX 3D cinema.

Thriller was restored in 4K from the original camera negatives by John Landis and converted in 3D by Legend3D studios. It was presented in 2017 at the Venice Festival in "classic" 3D cinemas and 4K resolution. Then in 2018 it was shown in IMAX cinemas only (IMAX 3D) with largers screens, still using the 4K master.

You can't compare a movie shot in digital to another shot on film as they are different technology. Did you hear about 4K Blu-ray format ? There are many "old" movies restored in 4K, most of them look amazing. Yes they have grain, but film is supposed to have grain, and it's not a problem.

Last edited:
Not only MJ fans would like to see this. Music first my friend.
Look, I dig the idea of unity in music, really, I do. But you're implicating that Prince fans, fans of Prince (and mostly only Prince, keyword mostly) want to see a Michael Jackson concert, a Bad Tour concert held by the King of Pop himself, being released in the best quality possible?
mOlrxEF.png

As the person you replied to said, not the most, say, effective move. However, thanks for still taking action. (y)

Look, I dig the idea of unity in music, really, I do. But you're implicating that Prince fans, fans of Prince (and mostly only Prince, keyword mostly) want to see a Michael Jackson concert, a Bad Tour concert held by the King of Pop himself, being released in the best quality possible?
mOlrxEF.png

As the person you replied to said, not the most, say, effective move. However, thanks for still taking action. (y)

Off topic: I am a die hard Michael Jackson fan, but I also love the music of Prince, especially his concert tour of 1987. I imported the Blu-ray from Australia because it was not available in the Netherlands. Again, music first.

Ontopic: great to see so much people supporting this project in a couple of days. Great work all of you!

I have a question about the quality of Bad and IJCSLY on Bad25. Is this the best quality we have from yokohama or is yuichi's version better in term of quality?

I have a question about the quality of Bad and IJCSLY on Bad25. Is this the best quality we have from yokohama or is yuichi's version better in term of quality?

I'd say the best one is HappyLeeHL remaster. You can find it somewhere in 2000Watts section.
For me the 2 songs on the wembley dvd had weird textures on it similar to the dvd of bucharest 92.
But i believe the audio is the best?

I'd say the best one is HappyLeeHL remaster. You can find it somewhere in 2000Watts section.
For me the 2 songs on the wembley dvd had weird textures on it similar to the dvd of bucharest 92.
But i believe the audio is the best?

Thanks for this answer kai. On another note, i forgot to ask about the pensacola rehearsals.

Is this on film or tape? The quality is astounding.

It's tape, but I bet the Estate has lots of Bad Tour shows & rehearsals in video quality like this. It would be great to release MSG, New York 1988 in this quality.

1965 people signed the petition already. I’ve shared it also on the official Michael Jackson Twitter timeline and I have the best viewed tweet I’ve ever posted:

1f0deffce5e8f050a2d5f80ea13c596d.plist

it was posted on some site around early july 2009

No way!!!!!!!, i do remember seeing houston footage back then, but dont remember this j5 medley though.... hmmmmmmmmmmmm

No way!!!!!!!, i do remember seeing houston footage back then, but dont remember this j5 medley though.... hmmmmmmmmmmmm

It all leaked in one video.
APOM and HH snippets along with J5 Medley full. Always loved it.

Thanks for this answer kai. On another note, i forgot to ask about the pensacola rehearsals.

you gotta check this video! very interesting. Also he explains how to see if its tape or film. Its really like night and day.

Pensacola rehearsals are on Beta Tape. No matter the source it should be the highlighted bonus feature on a BAD Tour Blu-Ray release. Also including the behind the scenes tour film of course.

IMWhizzle;4299199 said:
1965 people signed the petition already. I’ve shared it also on the official Michael Jackson Twitter timeline and I have the best viewed tweet I’ve ever posted:
This is great news. Should we start sharing the hashtag?
Zakk;4299261 said:
Pensacola rehearsals are on Beta Tape. No matter the source it should be the highlighted bonus feature on a BAD Tour Blu-Ray release. Also including the behind the scenes tour film of course.
Beta tape > Umatic > VHS. I dont know why Mj didnt record all his shows on Bata instead of Umatic. It was already outdated back then.

Do we have any insight into how the Dangerous Tour is formatted? I'd love to see the August 23rd show.

Back