Votes: 34 26.8%
  • Dangerous

Votes: 48 37.8%
  • HIStory

Votes: 51 40.2%
  • Invincible

Votes: 14 11.0%

• Total voters
I'd be interested in a HIStory doc but not before one on Thriller and Dangerous. It's the only album (released in his lifetime) I don't own. Getting the doc AND the album together would finally encourage me to buy it, lol!

Forgive my asking, but why would you not own a solo MJ album, whilst being such a huge fan?

Especially one that hold some of his best and most personal work.

Forgive my asking, but why would you not own a solo MJ album, whilst being such a huge fan?

Especially one that hold some of his best and most personal work.

No prob, Tony; I was asked in another thread, but I'll post my answer again here. I didn't buy it because I didn't want to purchase songs I already had to get new ones. When the digital age arrived I bought the tracks from HIStory I didn't have (via itunes), not the entire album.

No prob, Tony; I was asked in another thread, but I'll post my answer again here. I didn't buy it because I didn't want to purchase songs I already had to get new ones. When the digital age arrived I bought the tracks from HIStory I didn't have (via itunes), not the entire album.

BUT - Isn't it cheaper to buy the entire HIStory album - than to just buy the songs?? - In Denmark it would be cheaper to buy the entire album on iTunes than just buy the 15 new songs...

Is it a priciple or why didn't you wanna buy the album? I mean HIStory was released in 1995 - I do not know when iTunes came - but I guess 10 years after the release... - Did you really - as a huge MJ faf - live 10 years without having some of his best work??? :)

BUT - Isn't it cheaper to buy the entire HIStory album - than to just buy the songs?? - In Denmark it would be cheaper to buy the entire album on iTunes than just buy the 15 new songs...

Is it a priciple or why didn't you wanna buy the album? I mean HIStory was released in 1995 - I do not know when iTunes came - but I guess 10 years after the release... - Did you really - as a huge MJ faf - live 10 years without having some of his best work??? :)

Yes, but I didn't want the songs I already had. I can't count how many times I've bought the same songs over and over again (compilations, replacing items I lent and never got back, etc) and when HIStory came out I was hoping the new songs would be sold in a CD by themselves, but wasn't.

It's not like I didn't HEAR the new songs or didn't have access to them because I didn't buy the entire album, for crying out loud.

Last edited:
I didn't buy it then (fan since 69) and still don't have it because I was infuriated that he married Lisa Marie!

I'm just kidding (sorta) but that album was outrageously expensive especially since I owned half of it on album and cassettes.
I finally bought History on Film on VHS cassette so I could have the songs.

Now that it's on CD by itself I need to buy it, or may wait to see if they do that History doc.

for how much Spike seems that Spike is interested in making a Thriller doc.. It would not surprise me that he has collecting things here and there since working on Bad25 for Thriller... He had to have had it in his mind from the beginning! Good chance even un used interview footage from the last two docs will be used... Asking about Thriller while they were interviewed

Tbh one of the only reasons I'd like to see spike make a thriller doc is for the sure fire sales bolster that the doc would give Thriller.
I want to see Thriller reach 40x plat.

I don't think Thriller needs another sales boost. 65-70 million copies worldwide (a number that is constantly growing without any sort of promotion whatsoever) is absolutely fine.

Personally, the story of HIStory is much more interesting than the story of Thriller. Thriller would be a more commercially successful release for obvious reasons, but HIStory would be a fascinating watch to see how he bounced back from one of the biggest lynching's in media history.

I didn't buy it then (fan since 69) and still don't have it because I was infuriated that he married Lisa Marie!

I'm just kidding (sorta) but that album was outrageously expensive especially since I owned half of it on album and cassettes.

Now that it's on CD by itself I need to buy it, or may wait to see if they do that History doc.

:punk: Seeing the formats change through the decades has been a blessing and a curse (the prices).

Personally, the story of HIStory is much more interesting than the story of Thriller. Thriller would be a more commercially successful release for obvious reasons, but HIStory would be a fascinating watch to see how he bounced back from one of the biggest lynching's in media history.

But History received more commercial backing and promotion than Thriller did upon release

But History received more commercial backing and promotion than Thriller did upon release

And? He's saying that a Thriller documentary would have more commercial success than a HIStory documentary, which is true. At the time of release, HIStory might've had more marketing but Thriller has obviously been eons more influential, lasting and successful than HIStory.

Well, I just had to log on and share my funny (ironic) experience of the day. Especially since I had just written the above referenced post.

I'm spending my days and most of my nights at my brother and bxxch sister-in law's house taking care of their five dogs and six cats while they're demolishing and remodeling their house-and if it weren't for the fact that I love those dogs and cats like my own nieces and nephews and they have been freaking out big time over all the noise and commotion, I wouldn't be there. She's the one who shuddered and was repulsed the other day when I mentioned she should go see the Michael Cirque show when she goes to Vegas this month for her birthday.

Anyway, she was cleaning out a box of stuff and I saw an object being hurled in my direction. I caught it and it was the 2 DISC SET OF HISTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!! Still in its 1995 shrink wrap with labels on it-

Haha-so now I'm the new proud owner of the HIStory album. :clap:

Anyway, she was cleaning out a box of stuff and I saw an object being hurled in my direction. I caught it and it was the 2 DISC SET OF HISTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!! Still in its 1995 shrink wrap with labels on it-

Haha-so now I'm the new proud owner of the HIStory album. :clap:

Nice!!! You got the uncensored version of TDCAU and the original version of HIStory! Like me :D

for how much Spike seems that Spike is interested in making a Thriller doc.. It would not surprise me that he has collecting things here and there since working on Bad25 for Thriller... He had to have had it in his mind from the beginning! Good chance even un used interview footage from the last two docs will be used... Asking about Thriller while they were interviewed
Did anyone else notice for the song girlfriend,Spike used photos of mj & pm from the girl is mine sessions

HIStoric;4139478 said:
Someone post them please?

The footage comes from this ‘Thriller’ recording session (MJ’s home studio, Hayvenhurst):

7d7e3a984b054eec53b62b87e5ea5c49.jpg

We will find in the fan community a lot of people would like more supporting History album because aside from a couple 'making of' there really was not too much released surrounding that album for fans to feel they have an 'inside look'.. Where as over the years with Thriller so much has been said and seen we are 'missing' less from then... The general public on the other hand has not seen half of what we have pro actively looked for...

If you are looking for quick sales THRILLER would be the obvious way to go... For a release that the fan community would appreciate uniquely would be History...

I just say, why not both?

Do 2 sets of trilogies... OTW,BAD,THRILLER... DANGEROUS, HISTORY,INVINCIBLE!

We will find in the fan community a lot of people would like more supporting History album because aside from a couple 'making of' there really was not too much released surrounding that album for fans to feel they have an 'inside look'.. Where as over the years with Thriller so much has been said and seen we are 'missing' less from then... The general public on the other hand has not seen half of what we have pro actively looked for...

If you are looking for quick sales THRILLER would be the obvious way to go... For a release that the fan community would appreciate uniquely would be History...

I just say, why not both?

Do 2 sets of trilogies... OTW,BAD,THRILLER... DANGEROUS, HISTORY,INVINCIBLE
!

I like that idea. - Not that Dangerous, HIStory and Invincible has the same trilogy going on as th first 3 albums - since Quincy Jones produced all 3.

But I think it would be natural to let Spike Lee make a doc for Thriller next. - Then Spike Lee has done all the Quincy Jones albums.

Next doc should then be for D 25 - which means next year, so that will propably not happen...

The a HIStory doc (and it should also focus on the tour, BOTDF and Ghosts) - so it should propably be a little longer to include all that!

Invincible should have a lot of focus on the recording sessions - I believe a LOT of footage exists right? - also MSG 30, WMCIG etc.

An Invincible documentary would open a whole can of worms. It would need to address all the issues that went on during and after the recording process. OTW didnt have any negative incidents to report, but to ignore everything that went on from 2000-2002 would be a complete case of smoke and mirrors.

I'd welcome anything that would help me understand what went wrong around that whole era and why it's so divisive the community.

I can never ever see it happening.

An Invincible documentary would open a whole can of worms. It would need to address all the issues that went on during and after the recording process. OTW didnt have any negative incidents to report, but to ignore everything that went on from 2000-2002 would be a complete case of smoke and mirrors.

I'd welcome anything that would help me understand what went wrong around that whole era and why it's so divisive the community.

I can never ever see it happening.

They examined the legacy though, supposedly. Knowing what came after it would be worth reflecting on the Off the Wall effect. And didn't Katherine tell Sylvia Chase around this time (1980?) that she noticed Michael withdrawing?

I don't think it was necessarily the case that there was no negative light to cast, it's just that Spike chose not to go there. I agree with you overall though.

It would be amazing if they did the thriller documentary with victory tour footage yet dangerous would be cool too, it's interesting in that era too because rap was becoming popular and he change to a new style jack swing

IMHO, documentaries like Bad 25 and Off the Wall are easy ones because there are no tragic stories behind them.
Somehow, Dangerous cannot be discussed without mentioning of what happened in 93, HIStory is logical continuation and Invincible has its story with Sony and so on. It is impossible to discuss these albums without looking deeper into problems they were surrounded with. So more hard work is necessary!
Maybe there needed two parts documentaries, one part for music and another one for some explanations… And that is something really important and not so easy to create.
That is supposed to be absolutely different kind of documentaries!

Well, they can try to avoid problematic parts with Dangerous, it is more or less possible but it will make work with History harder… Even music part of HIStory cannot go without background story!!!

Anyway, they should give Lee to make a documentary for Thriller (I am sure there will be something yet to surprise us) and make some strategy, a plan for Dangerous, HIStory and Invincible altogether. They cannot be created separately, IMO.

IMHO, documentary for Invincible can give a chance for Sony people to speak out… And I am not talking about putting blame on Michael, but to take a chance to come to better terms with MJ fans. I am sure there were people who supported and helped Michael and there are new people there who now are trying to!

There is so much more to this than just new footages of Michael…

The point is that these tree documentaries must be different, IMO, so the Estate better not to hurry and use it full force to support Michael, his legacy not just as an artist but as a fighter and a good man!

Although, maybe I am asking for too much because everything I have just described can go well with Michael Bush as a director but not Spike Lee, I guess.

Dangerous cannot be discussed without mentioning of what happened in 93,

Yes it can. HIStory is the album that cannot be discussed without mentioning what happened in 93, because there are songs on that album that cover that topic.

analogue;4142132 said:
Yes it can. HIStory is the album that cannot be discussed without mentioning what happened in 93, because there are songs on that album that cover that topic.

Yes, I know! :)

Allusio;4142111 said:
Well, they can try to avoid problematic parts with Dangerous, it is more or less possible but it will make work with History harder… Even music part of HIStory cannot go without background story!!!

I have zero confidence in the Estate to release an actual documentary. Bad 25 was okay, the Off The Wall one was just a massive "MJ is great" fest. I want them to make documentaries that actually talk about the creation of the album in depth, I already know Michael was great, that's why I'm watching a documentary about him, I'm not watching to be told he's great for an hour.

I have zero confidence in the Estate to release an actual documentary. Bad 25 was okay, the Off The Wall one was just a massive "MJ is great" fest. I want them to make documentaries that actually talk about the creation of the album in depth, I already know Michael was great, that's why I'm watching a documentary about him, I'm not watching to be told he's great for an hour.

You need to contact on crowd who does Classic Records documentaries and request that they do Michael's album.
Creation of album and step by step/ song by song talk in actually more their area than anything.

Don't forget that there are still youngsters that needs to be told how great Michael was and then show them how and why:cheeky: so this doc serves old fans as well as gain new ones (hopefully).

I agree.
I definitely would like a more in depth look at the creation of an MJ album.:)

As for the Michael is great fest, to a certain extent I believe that MJ gets lauded so much in the OTW doc because his talent and musical genius are constantly downplayed, but on the other hand the media seems to have no shortage of negative MJ stuff to talk about.

Out of the big three (Michael, the Beatles, and Elvis) MJ is without a doubt the the least respected while at the same time being the most influential on the music industry as we know it, and it's ironic that MJ is the least respected because while I can't say anything negative about the Beatles (I also find it hard to compare them to MJ since they're a band and MJ is a solo act) from what I know Elvis didn't write any of the songs he sung.

Michael is/was literally a modern day, Mozart,Bach,Beethoven,etc. :)

When you weigh the amount of respect MJ gets against what he accomplished it becomes clear that Michael is the least respected legend in music history, so I have no problem with an occasional "Michael is great fest". :)

Back