Votes: 34 26.8%
  • Dangerous

Votes: 48 37.8%
  • HIStory

Votes: 51 40.2%
  • Invincible

Votes: 14 11.0%

• Total voters
I think if Spike wants to do Thriller, let him do Thriller. Nothing good comes out of a project that is not what someone really wants to do. The Estate can have another director deal with the post-Bad albums then. Not everything has to be done by Spike Lee.

No one implied that he should. That said, the decision is up to the estate, not Spike (or whoever) on what they'll be allowed to do. My hope is that they let him finish the Quincy years before the next phase of Mike's stellar catalog is covered, not dipping back and forth between eras.

And he should be a talking head in a History doc, not creating it.
I really hope Janet participates in a supposed History project. I'd imagine if not her, Jimmy Jam+Terry Lewis will.

And he should be a talking head in a History doc, not creating it.
I really hope Janet participates in a supposed History project. I'd imagine if not her, Jimmy Jam+Terry Lewis will.

I would be very disappointed if she didn't! She is a very important part of "Scream" and I'd love to hear her memories of it, the fun she had doing the song and video with Mike.

It's actually too bad that Spike doesn't seem to want to do History or Dangerous because they're actually more up his alley than the Quincy albums.
His movies are about social and racial unrest and he's a major spokesperson for injustice. And at a time that Michael himself was not only a victim but focused on injustice to others.
That type of music (NJS) ran thru the soundtracks of his own movies.

Bad 25 should have been at least an hour longer to get into the songwriting process. Still griping about that.

Yeah, you're totally right.

Jam and Lewis will, for sure. Janet, no way.

I would be very disappointed if she didn't! She is a very important part of "Scream" and I'd love to hear her memories of it, the fun she had doing the song and video with Mike.

Archival footage. There are plenty.

that's not really the same though

It's her fault. Nobody else's. If she don't want to do it, that is fine by me. I liked her before, now I'm kind of indifferent about her. Can't say she's as bad as LaToya or Randy. Or even Jermaine. But she's definitely not among my favourite Jacksons anymore. Now Jackie, Marlon & Tito are the only ones that I respect. And Joe and Katherine of course.

the reason for why she doesn't want to (if she doesn't want to) doesn't matter, it still wouldn't be the same

I hate it when Michael's first 3 albums are called "the Quincy albums". They're albums MJ did with Quincy. You wanna do a movie about Quincy albums do one for The Dude.

I don't care if this is going to upset anyone here. Nobody calls Dangerous "the Teddy Riley album".

IMO Spike Lee shouldn't be the one who dictates which movie is next as he doesn't have to be the one making it.

I hate it when Michael's first 3 albums are called "the Quincy albums". They're albums MJ did with Quincy. You wanna do a movie about Quincy albums do one for The Dude.

I don't care if this is going to upset anyone here. Nobody calls Dangerous "the Teddy Riley album".

IMO Spike Lee shouldn't be the one who dictates which movie is next as he doesn't have to be the one making it.

Bravo! Brilliant post.

The unreleased Jackson/Bottrell song I'm most interested in is a secondary cut of the original "Dangerous" where he uses trash cans and other items as percussion instruments. Sounds interesting to say the least.

absolutely (y)
to me, they've always been MICHAEL JACKSON ALBUMS, and that's what they will always be ;D

to play devils advocate, I call them the Quincy albums. Not to mean that they are Quincy's but as a reference so people know what I'm talking about.
Frank Sinatras albums were called the Quincy era albums and the Nelson Riddle albums/eras.
Much like people say the Bad era- I never heard that term before joining a fan forum.

I hope that the estate won't give up making more documentaries after Spike Lee is done. I'd hate it if the three albums produced with Q are the only albums to get all the attention. It makes it look like those three albums are the only albums worth talking about, and that's untrue.

After OTW doc, I can definitely say I would not be that interested in a Thriller documentary by Spike Lee. Realky good documentary but with as little as i feel we learned during OTW, wed probably learn even less with Thriller considering all we know already.

After OTW doc, I can definitely say I would not be that interested in a Thriller documentary by Spike Lee. Realky good documentary but with as little as i feel we learned during OTW, wed probably learn even less with Thriller considering all we know already.

I kind of agree. I would like a Thriller documentary but if there's the same amount of footage as there was in this one I think I would prefer a documentary about HIStory (which John Branca said he would like to do if I'm not mistaken) or a Dangerous one (I think there is probably the same amount of footage as Bad 25, so it would be amazing).
But I wouldn't complain if they go that route, just wouldn't be so interested.

In 3 to 4 years, Thriller doc will come most likely. Looking forward to the Victory tour footage they'll include.

I'm actually hugely in favor of Spike being let go after watching his Off the Wall piece. He did an absolutely awful job.

I think every album should get a doc.. I do think in the theme Thriller should be next.. But I believe both Dangerous and History should have one.. Even if Spike wants to do a trilogy like he mentioned he can do two sets of trilogies.. Off The Wall, Thriller, Bad... and Dangerous History Invincible... he can do a little different directing style on the other 3 to make them separate if need be.. but the other eras deserve docs too.

'Let go' of what? wasn't it Spikes idea to do these documentaries in the first place? I've always been under the impression he was the driving force of WHY we have these... If not, ok.. If so, I'm just thankful he has enough love in his heart for Mike to do it!!

If estate has another person to do on AS WELL, I'll take another!

1 thing that bothered me was that in the book moonwalker, Michael stated that joe was supposed to introduce him to fred astair but he never did until thriller & fres supposedly called michael BUT...in this doc we see for the 1st time him meet Astair

I think every album should get a doc.. I do think in the theme Thriller should be next.. But I believe both Dangerous and History should have one.. Even if Spike wants to do a trilogy like he mentioned he can do two sets of trilogies.. Off The Wall, Thriller, Bad... and Dangerous History Invincible... he can do a little different directing style on the other 3 to make them separate if need be.. but the other eras deserve docs too.
I love this idea. This is the best 1of heard so far & i agree 200%

'Let go' of what? wasn't it Spikes idea to do these documentaries in the first place? I've always been under the impression he was the driving force of WHY we have these...

No. He was hired director by Michael Jackson's Estate. It could have been any other director.

^^ Assuming that's the case I think it's time the reins are handed over.

Thinking about it now though perhaps the documentaries should come to a halt after Thriller.

As much as I would adore pieces about History and Dangerous, it wouldn't be fair to not acknowledge Invincible with its own stand-alone piece, and God knows it would be next to impossible to cut together a positive documentary about that album given the extent of Michael's involvement, the Sony battle, the mixed critical reception, the crummy sales numbers, so on and so forth.

Not all documentaries have to be positive, but the foundation beneath them has to be. All of Michael's studio albums between 1979 and 1995 have fulfilled some sort of purpose. Invincible, less so.

But even then, don't give Spike access to anything Thriller. Given how useless JFMTOTW ended up being, I can't imagine what Thriller would result in.

Back