Adele's '21' overtakes Michael Jackson in the all-time biggest selling albums chart-United Kingdom

Congrats to Adele!

Guys, seriously, calm down. MJ's records will be broken sooner or later. That's just the nature of records. IT DOESN'T MATTER, at least not anymore.

i believe Adele's 21 is a remarkable achievement. And I do hope that she continues making excellent music.

ASIS I believe you on the point about Michael's records being broken. What we have to remind ourselves, is that the type of musician/entertainer Michael is will not be found for a long time or maybe never. Further, the standards used to judge music/entertainment/production etc is not the same as when Michael was working in the 80s.

There are several artists at a level below Michael's genius, although we like their music too. These artists will now get more awards faster, sell music faster, pass his records faster, but it does not mean their songs or output are better than Michael's because the standards used to judge these things in the industry has changed. We all notice over the years that the quality of people's work has decreased. Now if someone like Adele beat bad in the 80's when we had the same standards, then I probably would be more in awe.

Remember music and music buying was at a low ebb until Michael did something about it. Now we should be conditioning ourselves for others to pass these records, except Thriller of course.

There are several artists at a level below Michael's genius, although we like their music too. These artists will now get more awards faster, sell music faster, pass his records faster, but it does not mean their songs or output are better than Michael's because the standards used to judge these things in the industry has changed. We all notice over the years that the quality of people's work has decreased. Now if someone like Adele beat bad in the 80's when we had the same standards, then I probably would be more in awe.
Of course not. And just because it doesn't appeal to someone, doesn't makes it less good, too. why is that bother you?
just because a record is set or broken, doesn't mean it's better music then the one of the previous leader.
Just because Michaels records get broken, doesnt mean his work is now lesser then before.
It's just numbers.
His place in history can't be taken with awards or records away. records are there to be broken.

on the other side is impresive that such things are possible, when illegal downloads are still big issue.

Last edited:
after calling the king JACKO, adele is on my blacklist.
she is nothing more than all this media mafia. she is the same like dimond, bashir,...
my opinion. and noone have to tell me i should say nice things about her.

All I can say is...."Should I bow down to the new queen of the entire universe?" ..No, I'm better of going to bed lol bye.

after calling the king JACKO, adele is on my blacklist.
she is nothing more than all this media mafia. she is the same like dimond, bashir,...
my opinion. and noone have to tell me i should say nice things about her. .

Without going too off topic, I just wanted to comment on you deeming Adele is on your black list due to her calling him "Jacko."

That is fine, Im not trying to change your opinion, but I don't particularly see "Jacko" as demeaning to Michael unless it is said by his detractors, or it is combined with the horrible "Wacko Jacko" nickname. Many people, particularly in UK and Australian cultures tend to nickname people with the name Jackson, Jacko. I for one experience this on a regular basis, as I have a relative named Jackson, who everyone calls Jacko. To be honest, I don't think Adele meant any disrespect by using the name and she's give no reason for us to believe she is an enemy of Michael.

Just saying...

It's an incredible achievement, really. In an age where acts are struggling to cope with piracy, along comes Adele to smash records at an incredible pace. It looks like she'll end up with the biggest selling album of all time in the UK. Still, at least she was knocked off the No.1 spot this week. How does it feel to see your album all the way down at No.2 fourteen months after release, Adele? The wheels are falling off!

Good for Adele. It's quite something when people don't buy CDs anymore. MJ will always be the biggest seller of all time though, so don't stress.

Good for Adele. It's quite something when people don't buy CDs anymore. MJ will always be the biggest seller of all time though, so don't stress.
^^Well when Michael came out with Thriller, people were not buying records much either, and he did something about it. It would be interesting to see if a new artist like Adele will cause people to start buying cd's again.

They are reporting that she's now overtaken Pink Floyd, just for all those thinking that the stories were somehow an attempt to undermine Michael's album sales. Won't be long before they're reporting her going above Thriller at this rate.

The only thing that can stop her now is if boys stop dumping their girlfriends and her target market gets fed up of her whinging and bitching.

Why did some MJ fans got annoyed by the MJ mention in the article? Shouldn't it be a compliment? MJ is a reference because he's the top selling singer with Thriller, so the fact that Adele overtook Bad is newsworthy. Records (not albums) are out there to be beaten. One day, Thriller may be beaten by another artist. It may take a while, but it happens.

21 has passed Dire Straits' Brothers In Arms and is now the sixth-highest selling album of all time. It passed Pink Floyd's The Dark Side of the Moon on Monday and at the time was only 12,000 sales behind Brothers in Arms. 21 has sold 4.15 million copies in the UK. This means that one in six of UK households now own the album.

Here's the top ten as of now:

1. Greatest Hits (1981) - Queen
2. Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (1967) - The Beatles
3. Gold: Greatest Hits (1992) - ABBA
4. (What's The Story) Morning Glory? (1995) - Oasis
5. Thriller (1982) - Michael Jackson
6. 21 (2011) - Adele
7. Brothers In Arms (1985) - Dire Straits
8. The Dark Side Of The Moon (1973) - Pink Floyd
9. Bad (1987) - Michael Jackson
10. Greatest Hits II (1991) - Queen

That's quite an accomplishment for Adele! Everything aside, she's TALENTED and it's well deserved...Good for her!

Congrats to Adele! :)

It just proves that

1. Good music still exists and if promoted enough, it WILL be heard and appreciated

Congrats to Adele! :)

It just proves that

1. Good music still exists and if promoted enough, it WILL be heard and appreciated
So true, I would be very upset if it was Justin Bieber or someone like that, and that's not so much becuase fo JB but becuase som many of his fans who keep telling me that JB is as big of a legend as MJ, that he's just as good, just as talented, as big and so on and so on...

There might be artist that breaks Michael's records in countries, like Adele in the UK, but I have a hard time seeing anyone ever selling so much world wide as MIchael has - that's (one of the things) why he's the greatest of all time!

There might be artist that breaks Michael's records in countries, like Adele in the UK, but I have a hard time seeing anyone ever selling so much world wide as MIchael has - that's (one of the things) why he's the greatest of all time!

i agree. Worldwide Michael is something incredible. This is one chart in one country. Nothing against the UK or any country. These things happen.

Funny thing..nobody in the media ever believed Michael could ever top his own Thriller record, but they believe other artists can..

Adele 21's outsells Michael Jackson's Thriller and Bad

According to the latest Official Charts Company sales data, Adele’s 21 has now outsold Michael Jackson’s Thriller and, in doing so, has become the UK’s fifth biggest selling album of all-time.

As of this morning, the London-born singer’s 2011 second album has now sold 4,274,300 copies in the UK, 500 more than Thriller. And with 21 selling an average of 20,000 copies per week over the last four weeks, that lead will significantly increase when this week's final Official Albums Chart sales data is published on Sunday.

“To add to her many landmark records, Adele's achievement in overtaking Thriller in the all-time sales list is truly remarkable,” comments the Official Charts Company’s Managing Director Martin Talbot. “Thriller has long been recognised as one of the most iconic albums of all time - there is now no doubt that 21 can be spoken of in the same breath.”

It’s been an amazing year-and-a-quarter for Adele; in the fifteen months since 21 was released, it has spent 65 weeks on the Official Albums Chart, 23 of those at Number 1, and has outsold Amy Winehouse’s Back To Black to become the biggest selling album of the 21st Century, and has also overtaken the sales of such seminal albums as Michael Jackson’s Bad, Pink Floyd’s The Dark Side Of The Moon and Dire Straits’ Brothers In Arms in the UK. To put that in perspective, one in six British households owns 21. She has also won six Grammy Awards, and two BRIT Awards.

The UK’s Top 5 biggest selling albums of all-time are now as follows:

01 GREATEST HITS (1981) - QUEEN
02 SGT PEPPER’S LONELY HEART’S CLUB BAND (1967) - THE BEATLES
03 GOLD - GREATEST HITS (1992) - ABBA
04 WHAT’S THE STORY MORNING GLORY (1995) - OASIS
05 21 (2011) – ADELE

http://www.officialcharts.com/chart-news/adele-is-now-officially-bigger-than-michael-jackson-1374/

Bubs;3632335 said:
Adele 21's outsells Michael Jackson's Thriller and Bad

According to the latest Official Charts Company sales data, Adele’s 21 has now outsold Michael Jackson’s Thriller and, in doing so, has become the UK’s fifth biggest selling album of all-time.

As of this morning, the London-born singer’s 2011 second album has now sold 4,274,300 copies in the UK, 500 more than Thriller. And with 21 selling an average of 20,000 copies per week over the last four weeks, that lead will significantly increase when this week's final Official Albums Chart sales data is published on Sunday.

“To add to her many landmark records, Adele's achievement in overtaking Thriller in the all-time sales list is truly remarkable,” comments the Official Charts Company’s Managing Director Martin Talbot. “Thriller has long been recognised as one of the most iconic albums of all time - there is now no doubt that 21 can be spoken of in the same breath.”

It’s been an amazing year-and-a-quarter for Adele; in the fifteen months since 21 was released, it has spent 65 weeks on the Official Albums Chart, 23 of those at Number 1, and has outsold Amy Winehouse’s Back To Black to become the biggest selling album of the 21st Century, and has also overtaken the sales of such seminal albums as Michael Jackson’s Bad, Pink Floyd’s The Dark Side Of The Moon and Dire Straits’ Brothers In Arms in the UK. To put that in perspective, one in six British households owns 21. She has also won six Grammy Awards, and two BRIT Awards.

The UK’s Top 5 biggest selling albums of all-time are now as follows:

01 GREATEST HITS (1981) - QUEEN
02 SGT PEPPER’S LONELY HEART’S CLUB BAND (1967) - THE BEATLES
03 GOLD - GREATEST HITS (1992) - ABBA
04 WHAT’S THE STORY MORNING GLORY (1995) - OASIS
05 21 (2011) – ADELE

http://www.officialcharts.com/chart-news/adele-is-now-officially-bigger-than-michael-jackson-1374/

Delusional.

Notice they only send out these press releases when she overtakes MJ's records. Effin' fools. Still using him for publicity.

That being said: Congrats to Adele.

Last edited:
Whether "21" is iconic or not we will see in 10-15 years time. I mean Shania Twain's "Come On Over" sold 40 million world wide (and that means twice as many as "21"), yet I would not call that an iconic album. It takes more than that for an album to be iconic.

i agree. Worldwide Michael is something incredible. This is one chart in one country. Nothing against the UK or any country. These things happen.

Exactly... one chart in one country, not worldwide.. 5 million in one country is not all that great anyway. MJ has sold 7 times that in the USA alone for Thriller.

^ I'm the other remaining person in the uk that doesn't seem to have bought her album, lol.

Agree with respect, the album seems to be more like what happened with norah jones or shania twaine, than thriller. In the early 80s the phenomenon was michael jackson - the album was just the vehicle for that. You had those iconic videos and that ground breaking motown performance, and just the whole shebaz. With adele, she's so understated you're hardly aware of her - in years to come all you're left with is a video of her singing in a chair with a load of glasses full of water in the room. Props to her though, amazing achievement. And interesting to note that her album has now sold more copies in the usa than all mj's albums except thriller. It's mj's global appeal that sets him apart.

Thriller is still the best selling album of all time in the whole world. It great for Adele to do that in the UK.

Delusional.

Notice they only send out these press releases when she overtakes MJ's records. Effin' fools. Still using him for publicity.

That being said: Congrats to Adele.
only the mj fans think that. and sorry to say, but they are the only fools, to that think mentioning mj name is only to seek attention and don't see what simplitisity is actually behind.
other people read it and forget about it. even didn't notice that mj was mentioned, but we spread 8 pages.
next time when she outsells abba or the beatles, there is going be article about it, but you won't even notice.

thank you. you proved what i said few pages before.

only the mj fans think that. and sorry to say, but they are the only fools, to that think mentioning mj name is only to seek attention and don't see what simplitisity is actually behind.
other people read it and forget about it. even didn't notice that mj was mentioned, but we spread 8 pages.
next time when she outsells abba or the beatles, there is going be article about it, but you won't even notice.

thank you. you proved what i said few pages before.

Interesting comment! This makes me think about what I feel when reading other similar reports. For instance, Billboard mentioned something about Madonna catching up with Barbra Streissand to be the best selling female artist in the US (something to that extend and I actually forget the exact details). If I'm a Barbra Streissand fan, would I feel the media is using Barbra for attention? Or, it's simply a fact that Barbra's acheivement is a benchmark to be upheld?

At the end of the day, Thriller is still being regarded as one of the best selling albums of all time. Doesn't matter how high Adele's 21 can climb. Thriller's achievement will still be groundbreaking. No one can take that away from Michael.

I actually wish the success of 21 will fresh up the current music scene.

Hmm... Oasis' What's the Story Morning Glory is the forth best selling album in the UK. Didn't know about it. I have the album. I quite like it. Haven't listened to it for a long time.

Nope!

Back