Any anxiety/depression sufferers here?

Do you suffer from anxiety/depression?

• no

Votes: 21 17.2%
  • yes

Votes: 101 82.8%

• Total voters
Re: any anxiety/depression sufferers here?

Just wanted to share my own experiences briefly. I suffered from depression/anxiety/social phobias for about 8 years. I had counselling several times, and up until last October I refused to try medication. But I'm glad I did because now I feel much much better and I was only on them for a few months.

What works for me won't work for others but I want people who are suffering right now to know that you aren't alone. That even when you think noone understands, there's always someone who does. Keep yourself busy. Try to be kind to yourself. Learn to accept who you are (easier said than done, I know). You'll get there.

It's great to read everyone's responses. Thank you for contributing to my thread.
I am pretty unwell with anxiety just now. I have been signed off work due to it until next Thursday. I have been having bad panic attacks at work and feekings of not being able to cope. As I said before I am on the waiting list for counselling and am on meds but at the moment every day is a living hell.

Hi Angel, I'm so sorry you are having a hard time right now. I know what it's like to have panic at work, and like I said before, a great therapist helped a whole lot, and she used the techniques in this book:
http://www.amazon.com/Mastery-Your-Anxiety-Panic-Treatments/dp/0195311353

Maybe this or others could help while you are waiting to see someone in person? In this meantime I'm glad we can all talk on here as part of the MJ Fam. :heart:

Hi Angel, I'm so sorry you are having a hard time right now. I know what it's like to have panic at work, and like I said before, a great therapist helped a whole lot, and she used the techniques in this book:
http://www.amazon.com/Mastery-Your-Anxiety-Panic-Treatments/dp/0195311353

Maybe this or others could help while you are waiting to see someone in person? In this meantime I'm glad we can all talk on here as part of the MJ Fam. :heart:

thanks so much. I really appreciate your kindness. I will certainly have a look at the book. x

Hi everyone. Its funny that I should come across this thread today as I am having one of my really bad days today. I'll be honest, I do worry about what people think of me and the stigma that is attached to mental illness, but I'll just say what I've got. For the last 10 years I have suffered with OCD, emetophobia (people might want to look it up as I can't even write what I'm scared of as I am overwhelmed by terror all the time with it) and I have been told that I have GAD. To people who don't know this, I seem really 'normal' and bubbly, but this is all a facade, I find it hard to be kind to myself, to really relax with who I am and it is so hard to be truly happy. I also have been worse sonce 25th June 2009. It was like a bad bad dream taking over my life, living in this awful world with no Michael in it, it crushed the very soul of me. I still feel this way but manage to get myself up and out to work every day. I always wonder how I do it.

My fears in life have consumed me, its been hard but I have somehow managed to foucs on slowing building a good life - I have a good law degree and I am getting married next year.

Therapy I have had includes counselling - it can be very upsetting but sometimes a good relief to vent years of upset and to evaluate things in the past and to understand them with more adult understanding (if that makes sense). I had hypnotherapy for my phobia which was very good, before the hypnotherapy I would have consant panic attacks, hyperventilating and insomnia, since 2008 when I had the therapy I have had only a couple of the panic attacks, although insomnia crept in more after 25/6. I am now on a waiting list for cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT) which is supposed to help by unlearning negative thoughts and learning positive ones, so retuning the thought process. I must say I'm not sure how much it will work having had such bad anxiety for so long, but I am willing to give it a go.

Michael helps. I listen to his soulful voice and feel his love and peace and it really helps. He said something in the 'Dancing the Dream' book that means a lot to me. The piece is called 'Trust'. Here's a qoute from it:

"Trust is like that - it always seems to come down to trusting in yourself. Others can't overcome fear for you; you have to do it on your own. Its hard, because fear and doubt hold on tight...Trusting yourself begins by recognizing that its okay to be afraid...In accepting yourself completely, trust becomes complete. There is no longer any separation between people, because there is no longer any separation inside. In the space where fear used to live, love is allowed to grow."

I try to remember this, I think it helps to do our best to remember who we really are and to love ourselves for that no matter what people's view on 'normal' is.

Hi everyone. Its funny that I should come across this thread today as I am having one of my really bad days today. I'll be honest, I do worry about what people think of me and the stigma that is attached to mental illness, but I'll just say what I've got. For the last 10 years I have suffered with OCD, emetophobia (people might want to look it up as I can't even write what I'm scared of as I am overwhelmed by terror all the time with it) and I have been told that I have GAD. To people who don't know this, I seem really 'normal' and bubbly, but this is all a facade, I find it hard to be kind to myself, to really relax with who I am and it is so hard to be truly happy. I also have been worse sonce 25th June 2009. It was like a bad bad dream taking over my life, living in this awful world with no Michael in it, it crushed the very soul of me. I still feel this way but manage to get myself up and out to work every day. I always wonder how I do it.

My fears in life have consumed me, its been hard but I have somehow managed to foucs on slowing building a good life - I have a good law degree and I am getting married next year.

Therapy I have had includes counselling - it can be very upsetting but sometimes a good relief to vent years of upset and to evaluate things in the past and to understand them with more adult understanding (if that makes sense). I had hypnotherapy for my phobia which was very good, before the hypnotherapy I would have consant panic attacks, hyperventilating and insomnia, since 2008 when I had the therapy I have had only a couple of the panic attacks, although insomnia crept in more after 25/6. I am now on a waiting list for cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT) which is supposed to help by unlearning negative thoughts and learning positive ones, so retuning the thought process. I must say I'm not sure how much it will work having had such bad anxiety for so long, but I am willing to give it a go.

Michael helps. I listen to his soulful voice and feel his love and peace and it really helps. He said something in the 'Dancing the Dream' book that means a lot to me. The piece is called 'Trust'. Here's a qoute from it:

"Trust is like that - it always seems to come down to trusting in yourself. Others can't overcome fear for you; you have to do it on your own. Its hard, because fear and doubt hold on tight...Trusting yourself begins by recognizing that its okay to be afraid...In accepting yourself completely, trust becomes complete. There is no longer any separation between people, because there is no longer any separation inside. In the space where fear used to live, love is allowed to grow."

I try to remember this, I think it helps to do our best to remember who we really are and to love ourselves for that no matter what people's view on 'normal' is.

I can't believe how much we are alike. It's like you're describing me in there (as I couldn't even write what was on my mind because words didn't come easy). I basicly felt what you felt. I had another type of phobia - agoraphobia, but I guess these are all somehow related. I went through CBT myself and it really helped me a lot. I got almost all the demons out in the light and now I'm able to seize the moment.
We are all, here, profound individuals and I think that, with a bit of positive thinking and some encouraging words from our fellows, we will make it.

Nice quote, btw :hug:

I can't believe how much we are alike. It's like you're describing me in there (as I couldn't even write what was on my mind because words didn't come easy). I basicly felt what you felt. I had another type of phobia - agoraphobia, but I guess these are all somehow related. I went through CBT myself and it really helped me a lot. I got almost all the demons out in the light and now I'm able to seize the moment.
We are all, here, profound individuals and I think that, with a bit of positive thinking and some encouraging words from our fellows, we will make it.

Nice quote, btw :hug:

Thanks, its good to be able to share experiences and to learn that we are not alone in our fears.

I am! I'm on medication and Xanax and it's helped me greatly, but there are still triggers that make me lose control and have panic attacks. I'm going to have some counseling sessions here in the near future. I have had them before and they really help.

I am! I'm on medication and Xanax and it's helped me greatly, but there are still triggers that make me lose control and have panic attacks. I'm going to have some counseling sessions here in the near future. I have had them before and they really help.

I think it's good you are trying the counseling sessions. I really am cautious with Xanax and other benzos (as a provider) because they are so easy to become dependent on. Not saying that you are or anything like that. But IMO, it's always good to try to minimize use of those medications (xanax/benzos).

Good luck with the sessions :)

I think it's good you are trying the counseling sessions. I really am cautious with Xanax and other benzos (as a provider) because they are so easy to become dependent on.

I don't take it on a regular basis, I just take it when I absolutely need to. When I'm feeling very anxious or upset, I take it. :)

Oh yes i suffer from anxiety and deprresion for years!

I was in doubt if i should share my story,but i will because talking about things,sometimes help,and if there's one thing i know i need is help.

All my life was a vey dificult one.
Was born with lots of healths problems,but most of all,my father never liked me or wanted me.He wanted only boys,and he never believed in me.He never thought i could become someone,so i grew up with the support and help of my grandmother (on my mom's side),and my Mother.
They are the ones that made me be who i am now.

As if this was not enough,and i saw and heard to much growing up,my world falls down in 1999 when my grandmother dies september 19th.
Till today i remember everything i was doing,the day of the week it happened (sunday),the time (13.15pm)...all is so fresh...as if it just happened.
The fact that i couldn't accept her death,(and till today is it is very difficult to me to accept it),took me to a psychiatrist,to being in hospital,taking medicins that changed my body so much,as i gained weight because of it.
I started to hate the way i look,spoke about it to the doctor that changed lots of times my medicins,and nothing worked,untill i decided to stop having medicins.
Medication i was on for 10 years,that everybody was telling me that i was addicted,and that it was dangerous to stop suddendly,i stoped and nothing happened at all.(Thank God).
Had lots of ups and downs,untill June 23rd,2006.In this day,my Mom is in thr hospital making some exams,and all of thr sudden,a brain aneuriysm brusts.We,and she,had no idea she had it at all.All of the sudden my mom is near dying and i am in complete schok because i can't understand what happened,how,and why.
When she finally comes home (2 months later),i change my all life.I put my dreams,my wishes,my life on hold,because i start taking care of my mom that was completly depedent on me.
2007 comes,2008,and my life is still on hold.
2009 comes and to help all this,Michael is murdered!One day he was here,he was siging,he was dancing,making plans for his this is it tour,and in the next moment he is gone.
Till today i haven't grieved for him.Although i know rationatly that he is dead,emotionally,i never felt him so close,so near,so deep inside me.
How can i grieve someone that is so alive in me?
sometimes i'm near tears...but i can't cry.Since that dark 25th,i only cried 3 times,and although i know,althouigh i wish to cry,and need it,something is blocking my emotions.Have no idea what it is,if it is good or bad,although sometimes i think it can't be,others i think it is because it is helping me not loosing control so i can look after my mom,that will have another surgery in a week from tomorrow(monday).

Please excuse me for this very long post.Iam trying to shorten it as much as possible.

I did think,lots of times,in going to a therapist.But i changed my mind completly when i realised that i would have to talk about Michael.
Only a fan understands another fan.
How can i go to a therapist and say that missing Michael is killing me a little everyday?How can i say that music died to me,and that since june 25yh 2009,all my wishes of going to concerts,died?How can i go to a therapist,and say that Michael saved my life?and so many other questions....

There are only 2 therapists,that are of course fans as well,that i would go,and would love to open up without a problem.
One is our sweet Dianelesley.An amazing human being thaqt i love and admire very much,and that luckely to me,is a very dear friend of mine.
The other is a girl (whose nickname i will not say in respect for her),that is from Hland.Another amazing girl,that since day 1,foccused on others,like some people did.
I did as well,thinking it would help...It did a little...but it didn't make the pain go away as i was wishing.
To the eyes of a non-fan,my love for Michael is an obession,is crazy.
To the eyes of a fan,to my eyes,and also to God's(i think),my love for Michael means gratitude,means compassion,admiration,tenderness,(me and him have so much in common my God!so so much...his childwood...his relatioship with his father...and so on...)...

so yes....i think i shared the most important maybe...if i had to say everything i would never end i fear.
And yes...i struggle with myself everyday to get up,i fight with myself when i have to go to a party,because my first reaction is always"no...i don't want to go.lots of people,lots of noise...)ometimes i end up enjoying myself,others,i am so tired in the end that i wish i never went.

So i ask...what can i do to help myself?No mj fans here...can't really go anywhere...
what other choice do i have,but to give time to time,and in between see how things go?I need to be strong for my Mother...

Hi everyone.
Just wondering if anyone suffers from bad anxiety/depression like I do?
I would love to hear your tips and experiences.
L.O.V.E

Yes I suffer from anxiety for one year and this has hindered me a lot in my personal and professional life, I was almost depressed. I'd sought professional help but only God helped me truly. I have difficulty leaving home and... well, sometimes I feel like I'm isolating myself in the world. That has changed lately and I hope it'll be ok one day. The important thing is you fight it and help yourself. Overcoming the traumas is a great step.

You're not alone :)

I suffer anxiety. My depression stopped 2yrs ago. Have suffered from about the age of 6 I'm now 25. I wasn't diagnosed with depression about 5 or 6yrs ago. Tried I think 4 or 5 anti depressants only 1 worked (can't remember name) then was prescribed Stilnox for sleeping. I was coping really well with taking both till end of 06 had been on them for about 3 months. I broke up with bf start of December which was fine but then started dating a friends ex Christmas Day. I was happy & my mum was happy for the 1st time in a really long time but my ex & my friend who's ex I was dating didn't like me dating. I overdosed on the 30th on both tablets then again on the morning of NYE.
Nothing happened. Went NYE fireworks with bf. Wasn't until 3 months later I blacked out in friends car while going for a drive. Was taken to emergency & had a zillion blood tests. I learn't that I had poisoned my blood I now needed transfusions & blood tests until I was clear. I was told to stop taking tablets I stopped taking the anti-depressant but stayed on still on stilnox till mid Oct that year I was addicted. I have never over dosed again :)
I lost my grandmother in 98 which turned my mum's life upside down.
99 my best friend was murdered
from 2001-2008 Had multiple deaths every year
This year lost a uncle & one of the children I nanny.
Lost about 60 people since 98
Although some didn't help with depression it made me stronger.
My anxiety comes from having a condition i don't know what it is & haven't been diagnosed yet. I have sensitivity to light, sound & smell. A dr told me I could have Tourette Syndrome but has not been determined. It frustrates me to the point I break down in tears. At home we have blinds down mostly due the fact I hate the sunshine I'm ok walking in the sun though. We sit in the dark a lot. Sound is the worst though. Hate the sound of vaccum cleaner, any type of banging knocking, loud voices/music, humming sounds,washing machine etc. There are so many sounds that will cause a migraine. My mum wears hearing aids but when she's not wearing them she of course speaks loud which i can't stand. its difficult. My senstivity is getting worse though I used to be able make sounds & vaccum but now can't even stand myself making sound.
I have earplugs but they only block out so much. I used to pray that I was deaf.
I failed yr10 & repeated then yr11 I attempted about 4 times. I couldn't cope due to my concentration. I tried distance education but I found studying at home hard due to no interaction. My mum as much as I love her puts me down by saying stuff like "I pity the guy who gets you". "What will you be like in your own home?". It hurts my feelings & hear this every day. I want to be normal whatever that is. I hate the smell of tea it make me very nauseous & certain plants/flowers.
I'm a nanny to 5 families & nearly 40 children ranging in age from almost 2-11.
People say aren't the children loud. Don't they make sound & stuff. Yeah they do but the older ones know my sensitivity to sound. Babies crying don't bother me. Children laughing don't bother me. Children's voices & laughter are the greatest sounds to me. Its so hard to explain & many people laugh or make fun including my mum.
I want to study so badly but a class is a distraction & home I feel lonely. I'm so stuck.
I love being a nanny but once the 2yo's reach 5 I won't be needed although there is a baby due sometime next year but that is just one.
I want another job but as what or where. Everyone's at me to find a job. I tell them you find me a job where there is not much light, no loud noises & no smells. The best I got was a convent lol (I'm not catholic). I'm looking into a police check though as there is a aged care place a 5min walk away & a larger aged care place about 10min drive.
I love the elderly & I know they drink tea a lot & kinda smell but I don't have many choices & this will only be voluntary. To get a job now days you need a certificate which is pretty much impossible for me. My friends from primary school are all successful & some friends from high school. during high school I wanted to be a dancer but my knees didn't think so then a stable hand but my hayfever didn't think so. I applied for the navy in 03 but failed medical of course. I go with the flow & feel like i'll be stuck at home forever. Have been told to see a psychologist but they that only seems to make things worse just by bringing up my past. I'm not depressed just anxious cause i'm not sure where i'm going to end up.

I don't know if I suffer of it...I don't think so but I've been depressed recently...for the first time in my life and it sucks:depressed:

severly depressed right now. Fiance moved me away from family and has decided that he wants to leave me stranded so now im homeless trying to find a way to get back home which happens to be thousands of miles away...just lost, depressed, upset, and whatever other word u can think of...

^:better: I'll be praying for you

thanks i need all that i can get...cant sleep cant eat im just lost right now im crying now and dont even know why the hell im crying i just start crying its crazy i just want to go home

^ I know what you mean...today during church I could barely keep my tears

i am disabled in wheel chair, my life is sometimes hard and i am some others illness, but my wife and my family are here for me, my dog and cat too, and Mike,my Mike since 1983, I know that he is here with me, and I love to talk with fans from all around the world :)

I get anxiety, and I find chewing gum helps. I've been to the counseling, meds, etc. All that stuff is pure baloney IMO. I find I thrive best without it.

Since i moved from Sweden to Chile, i have been pretty depressed, trying to deal with my new life and not having my boyfriend and awesome pals around me. *le sigh* Still working on it.

the human nature tendency to not take another's depression seriously, is frightening. i heard a commercial on the radio, saying 'how can the african american community alert itself to mental problems and depression? they should talk more about it'. and i thought..not just that community, but any...people DO talk about it, but others don't necessarily take it seriously. i don't know if they can handle it. did you hear of the american football player, who shot himself in the head, two days ago? nobody saw it coming. they said he was 'in good spirits'. that's a cliche, by now. when you see someone smiling..are they really smiling? could you handle it, if you knew of another person being depressed? or is your own life too complicated to handle someone else's depression? and how close do you know if that person is to suicide? there is no condemnation, here, to people who have complicated lives. i am just saying, i wonder if this problem can ever truly get solved. i don't think the government commercials that i hear on the radio, really get it. i think people ARE trying to speak up about their depression. it's just that others may not really know the language of another..even if they, themselves are depressed.
something to pray about

i'm glad the internet is here, though. gives you an outlet where you can hear the silence, not hear someone scream back at you, if you wish, and get it all out in the open with time to spare. it's my hope that people come on here, and come along with a way to look at these posts carefully, with time to spare, and maybe say one thing that will help another on here. and the more posts that someone, who is depressed, posts on here, the more i hope there is a zeroing in on that person, to help them. and the more depressed someone is, the more i hope they post on this thread and use it as an outlet, and not be ashamed of getting the message out on what is truly getting to them. and i hope that no one makes anyone else feel ashamed of what they posted.

Last edited:

^^ Thank you for posting that. I think people often think "what does that person have to be depressed about? They have it all." The football player who committed suicide is a good example -- he may have a dream career, but we can't judge a person's mental health from that detail.

We definitely need to pay attention to our family members and friends and network. I don't know why people overlook obvious symptoms... either they are oblivious, wrapped up in their own world, don't want another person's drama, or maybe fear that by getting involved they could somehow be blamed or feel guilty if the person does hurt themselves? "I asked my neighbor for a favor, she said later." I just don't know.

Some members of my family actually knew that football player. They were neighbors of his, my cousin works for his dad, and my cousins went to school with him. They grew up together. My grandparents also met him when they would go down to visit.
I was so devastated to hear of his death when my mom called me about it. We had a personal connection to him, even though I never had the privilege of meeting him.

It's devastating, and I hope and pray that his parents and my cousins will get through this. :(

EDIT: I heard today that he was pretty depressed after his knee surgery last month, and while playing dominoes with some friends he said something like, "Maybe I'll just kill myself," but no one took him seriously because they didn't know him to be like that.

Last edited:

^^ Thank you for posting that. I think people often think "what does that person have to be depressed about? They have it all." The football player who committed suicide is a good example -- he may have a dream career, but we can't judge a person's mental health from that detail.

We definitely need to pay attention to our family members and friends and network. I don't know why people overlook obvious symptoms... either they are oblivious, wrapped up in their own world, don't want another person's drama, or maybe fear that by getting involved they could somehow be blamed or feel guilty if the person does hurt themselves? "I asked my neighbor for a favor, she said later." I just don't know.

Unfortunately, that's true in most cases...

the human nature tendency to not take another's depression seriously, is frightening. i heard a commercial on the radio, saying 'how can the african american community alert itself to mental problems and depression? they should talk more about it'. and i thought..not just that community, but any...people DO talk about it, but others don't necessarily take it seriously. i don't know if they can handle it. did you hear of the american football player, who shot himself in the head, two days ago? nobody saw it coming. they said he was 'in good spirits'. that's a cliche, by now. when you see someone smiling..are they really smiling? could you handle it, if you knew of another person being depressed? or is your own life too complicated to handle someone else's depression? and how close do you know if that person is to suicide? there is no condemnation, here, to people who have complicated lives. i am just saying, i wonder if this problem can ever truly get solved. i don't think the government commercials that i hear on the radio, really get it. i think people ARE trying to speak up about their depression. it's just that others may not really know the language of another..even if they, themselves are depressed.
something to pray about

i'm glad the internet is here, though. gives you an outlet where you can hear the silence, not hear someone scream back at you, if you wish, and get it all out in the open with time to spare. it's my hope that people come on here, and come along with a way to look at these posts carefully, with time to spare, and maybe say one thing that will help another on here. and the more posts that someone, who is depressed, posts on here, the more i hope there is a zeroing in on that person, to help them. and the more depressed someone is, the more i hope they post on this thread and use it as an outlet, and not be ashamed of getting the message out on what is truly getting to them. and i hope that no one makes anyone else feel ashamed of what they posted.
Thanks a lot william (I do remember your previous screen name!) Very compassionate and thoughtful as always. I'm sure your words here can help many others coming to this thread, whether they post something or not.

I know how you feel, Im unemployed at the moment and single and theres times when I feel so depressed and down. Most of my friends have now travelled away to University and I can feel really alone at times. But usually all I have to do to feel better is play some music from Michael, like magic it lifts my spirits.

something to pray about

:clapping:

I've been in and out of depression since Feb. 2004. My best friend Seth was accused of 'indesent liberites', he was convicted on sept 15th, 2004. He was released on Jan. 23th, 2006, he's now a level 3 sex offender. I feel guilty, i really wish that he would've waited for me.

My depression comes in waves but the main thing for me is my anxiety :( I'm in a depressive dip a the moment through a lot of person stuff happening and it just gets to the point where you just wanna leave. I have in the past created little scars just for the hell of it so I have something else to concentrate on. I know I shouldn't do it but I sometimes catch myself off guard by just scratching an itchy spot but I sometimes continue just to leave a scar to pick at (graphic I know but that's how it is for me). This is the first time I've publically admitted this on a forum. I become withdrawn a lot sitting alone in my room watching tv or like last night standing in my garden alone in the rain (any weather really I don't care).

Unfortunately, that's true in most cases...

I so agree

Especially since I am still trying to get over this depression I am still very much in over Michael. And my mother just doesn't want to get or understands why I am the way I am now. I practically have all the symptoms of depression. And she just doesn't want to get why I am the way I am now. There have been a couple of times where she has angrily told me to get over it. And I just can't seem to get over it. How can I get over someone that I had spent nearly my entire life loving. I still don't even dare tell her about my 3 suicide attempts. Though there were quite a few times where I almost did wanted tell her. But what is the point when I am just so sick and tired enough as it is. Of always telling her it is all because of what had happen last year is why I am like this now. And before June 25th 2009 I never not even once had a reason to feel depressed. :(

Back