Are the Jacksons the best family act ever?

They haven't had a succssful musical career by any means since the late 80s, early 90s. And I was talking about the Jackson's as a GROUP. They haven't been a group since the late 80s.
Still, what does that have to do with being the best family group?

It doesn't. But it was just a discussion within this discussion. Timmy brought up group longeivity, as in the Bee Gees and the Isley Brothers having lasted longer as a successful group, and I said that the Jackson's haven't been an active group since the late 80s, and really haven't been a successful group since the mid 80s, while groups like the Bee Gees are still active and successful, or were before Maurice passed away. The Jackson's needed Michael to be successful, that's the main point.

Last edited:
Exactly @ Nicole. And also the difference was unlike the Gibbs and Isleys, who were equal amongst each other (most of the time anyway), Michael was the breakout star from day one.

Still, what does that have to do with being the best family group?

And why do you mention MJ in your posts if you only speak about the group ??

The fact that michael realeased only 2 albums in the 90's is not a valid point as he was very successful on the contrary of the Jacksons since michael left the group . And Janet ??...YES she does in quantity but not in quality lol .

Last edited:
And why do you mention MJ in your posts if you only speak about the group ??

The fact that michael realeased only 2 albums in the 90's is not a valid point as he was very successful on the contrary of the Jacksons since michael left the group . And Janet ??...YES she does in quantity but not in quality lol .
You didn't read my posts. Again I responded to another post about the brothers not doing anything, not about who was successful or not or the quality of Janet's music. Quality is an opinion, releases are fact. Michael hasn't released much since 1991 as far as the brothers are concerned, that was the point. One person agreed, some others didn't and started talking about tours and making deals, which had nothing to do with my initial response about album releases.

Last edited:
Michael released two albums in the 90s, same as his output in the 80s. He had two tours during the 90s, same as his output during the 80s. I don't see your point because it doesn't reflect what the initial post meant, which was that the Jacksons haven't been a group since 1989, but Michael has very much been an active solo star for the last 30 years.

Michael released two albums in the 90s, same as his output in the 80s. He had two tours during the 90s, same as his output during the 80s. I don't see your point because it doesn't reflect what the initial post meant, which was that the Jacksons haven't been a group since 1989, but Michael has very much been an active solo star for the last 30 years.

My comment is about the new music releases of the family period, not tours or The Jacksons as a group. That's why I mentioned the Word To The Badd album and that Janet has more releases than any of the other siblings (including albums by Rebbie & LaToya). Mike has more than 2 releases in the 80s, including group albums & guest appearances. There's only one during this decade (and no tour). If I was talking about being active, then I could mention MJ's tours, Tito's blues band, Marlon's Christian station, etc., or the many compilations that were released by Motown & Epic/Sony.

That's what I thought. I don't know why any of their solo careers, what's of them anyway, would be brought up. I was comparing them group wise. I just mentioned off hand that Michael's the one whose been active and successful for the past 40 years, while the group itself had only been active for 25 or so. And Michael's group efforts during the 80s don't count in terms of the activity of his solo career. He's put out songs this decade which he recorded this decade too, like "Beautiful Girl", "We've Had Enough" and "The Way You Love Me". Why don't you count those as career activity? Or how about "What More Can I Give"? Or in the 90s, the fact that he did have 5 brand new tracks released on "Blood On The Dance Floor", he guested on his newphews album with "Why" and "I Need You". Why don't those count, but Michael's group albums and appearances from the 80s do? There's still two years left in this decade and he's working on an album as we speak. He's been as active as he can be this decade considering about 3 years of it were stolen from him. He put out a big box set with many unreleased songs, he put out a compilation with one new song which went several times platinum and for which he made a video, which would have been released if that whole debacle hadn't happened, etc... He's been as active solo career wise this decade and in the 90s as he was in the 80s. He did "Captain EO" in the 80s, he did "Ghosts" in the 90s, etc... It's unfair to him to say he hasn't done much since 91, because that's just not true.

Are the Jacksons the best family act ever?
Compared as a group (not the solo careers!) to other family acts, IMO they are the best.

Soooooo, Are we asking if the j5/jacksons are the best family act ever?

you can make a strong argument for the Isley Brothers and the Gibb Brothers and I love them both, but come on ask any Kid act about what Family act who meant the most. ask any cat who is putting together a Boy Band and who do they all point to as the Main One? if you said the Jacksons then you WIN. I mean the Isley Brothers made classics songs, albums and I love all eras of them and I love the Bee Gees, but what makes a Family act truly stand out is that One Big time Break through Act within the Act. and the Jacksons got it on lock. it is about Influence, Sales, Impact and other factors and no other Family act can make claim to that. now I love a whole lot of other family acts. Longevity means what?

I mean you can be around but it is what you do with that time. Jackson5 mania,etc.... wasn't being touched with.

i think as a group many other family acts brought more to the table in terms of their own creativity and influential force - and of course maturity.

Sly & the Family Stone are a personal favourite of mine - and undeniably had a bigger impact than the Jacksons did in terms of musically influencing the urban pop scene - although i never thought of them as a 'family act'. so i don't understand the reasoning behind filtering only family groups.

but as in most things, i don't believe there is a 'best' in such a broad sense.

Yeah, arXter, calling them "the best" in terms of it being a "fact" is really not plausible IMO.

Agreed, that's what I been saying from the beginning of this thread! lol. I love The Jacksons, but calling them the best family act ever is a stretch. Like Arxter said, there are many other groups out there who've brought more to the table and have been more influential. I mean you got people like, Earth, Wind & Fire, Sly & The Family Stone, The Bee Gee's (my personal favorite), Debarge, The Isley Brothers, etc,etc.

My comment is about the new music releases of the family period, not tours or The Jacksons as a group. That's why I mentioned the Word To The Badd album and that Janet has more releases than any of the other siblings (including albums by Rebbie & LaToya). Mike has more than 2 releases in the 80s, including group albums & guest appearances. There's only one during this decade (and no tour). If I was talking about being active, then I could mention MJ's tours, Tito's blues band, Marlon's Christian station, etc., or the many compilations that were released by Motown & Epic/Sony.

michael realeased Dangerous in 1991 , and then 2 years of touring and promotion , until 1993 thats very active .

2 years of break and then History 1995 , and again 2 years of touring and promotion until 1997 .

After History , Blood on the dance floor 1997 during the tour until 1998 .

And then 1 year of break and some concerts for Mj and friends in 1999 , and then 2 years of break and then INVINCIBLE .

But after invincible nothing , because no more record label , no more financial support so no more album + 6 months of an HORRIBLE the trial .

NOTHING TO DO WITH THE 30 YEARS OF JACKSON 5 breaks because of the living of michael Jackson .

Last edited:
Yes, the best family act ever. Yes, the most influential. Yes, the most popular. Yes, the most charasmatic. Yes, the most hard working. Yes, the most relevant.

When the Jacksons plotted out to take over the world, they weren't playing!

And they did just that!

Last edited:
Yes, the best family act ever. Yes, the most influential. Yes, the most popular. Yes, the most charasmatic. Yes, the most hard working. Yes, the most relevant.

When the Jacksons plotted out to take over the world, they weren't playing!

And they did just that!
They did too. No family act were as famous as the Jacksons and they were famous all over the world. To this day no family act has been as famous. Don't forget they were nicknamed, 'The Black Beatles.'

They did too. No family act were as famous as the Jacksons and they were famous all over the world. To this day no family act has been as famous. Don't forget they were nicknamed, 'The Black Beatles.'

....X-actly!

Being famous doesn't always mean they're the best, lol. Besides you can be a real famous family too if you get the right people behind you (Motown).

^Whatev, they're the best.
Exactly. And they were famous for their talent and for no other reasons. They were also very young too. Young children are still being influenced by them I don't know any other family that can claim that. It's no use pointing out more talented families that hardly anybody knows. How can they be influencing people if hardly anyone know of them.

Back