BAD25 | Charts & Sales History

That global album site that sunwalker posted has figures of 2million sold globally of bad in 2009 and millions more of each of the compilation albums which of course feature bad songs.

Number 4 on the global charts with 123k is ok, but as the global superstar without equal, it was the least to expect for mj. Thriller 25 was no 1 for 2 weeks opening with around 380k. I'm not going to compare bad25 with graceland - that achieved sales of 28k globally the week it launched. The estate said something about releasing a snippet from spike lee's doc when sales reach 1million, so we'll have a wait, i imagine they expected bigger sales.

In Belgium :
BAD 25 CD
FL (dutch side) : #16 (last week #31)
WL (french side): #7 (last week #15)

BAD Live at Wembley DVD

FL and WL : #1 for second week.

That global album site that sunwalker posted has figures of 2million sold globally of bad in 2009 and millions more of each of the compilation albums which of course feature bad songs.

Number 4 on the global charts with 123k is ok, but as the global superstar without equal, it was the least to expect for mj. Thriller 25 was no 1 for 2 weeks opening with around 380k. I'm not going to compare bad25 with graceland - that achieved sales of 28k globally the week it launched. The estate said something about releasing a snippet from spike lee's doc when sales reach 1million, so we'll have a wait, i imagine they expected bigger sales.

They said 1MIL units. So 3 x 123,000 + DVD sales. It should be in few weeks.

Bad 25 is going up in Japan charts. From 10 to 2

http://www.oricon.co.jp/rank/wa/w/2012-10-01/
I'm sorry, but are you sure that's the right chart? That chart lists Bad25 as new, which it shouldn't be if this is its second week. Also, you can still find the other chart where Bad is listed at #10. Maybe the chart where it's #2 is a chart for international artists? Sorry, I don't mean to nitpick, it's just that these Japanese charts are confusing to me because I don't understand the language, and I'd just like to make sure we've got the right information.

I'd love to know what kind of sales the Estate was expecting. There was the early estimate of 150k copies sold in the first week in the US. If they were expecting it to sell 150k in the US alone, selling less than that worldwide must have disappointing. I just don't know if they could realistically expect it to sell that much, considering so many casual listeners have just recently bought the original Bad or a greatest hits album that has most of Bad's best known songs. And the distribution problems don't exactly help either.

Is it a controversial thing to say if I feel nothing MJ-esque is ever going to sell well starting from now? You can just feel how new projects never seem to attract much interest from non-fans, and even fans like us are not buying Bad 25. I can't see anything that the Estate could put out ever selling 'well'... :(

Is it a controversial thing to say if I feel nothing MJ-esque is ever going to sell well starting from now? You can just feel how new projects never seem to attract much interest from non-fans, and even fans like us are not buying Bad 25. I can't see anything that the Estate could put out ever selling 'well'... :(

Maybe Bad25 sales haven't been phenomenal, but I think there are several reasons for that. And the sales could still pick up after the documentary is aired. And if they don't, well, it's just one project. It doesn't mean that no new MJ release ever is going to be successful again.

I do feel though that now is not the right time for MJ releases to be hugely successful. We've had so many big MJ projects in just a few years, I feel he's a little overexposed right now. It's important to make the public crave new material, and Michael knew this. He always took long breaks between albums to build up anticipation. I think the same is needed now. I'm sure his sales will improve, the timing just needs to be right.

I'd love to know what kind of sales the Estate was expecting. There was the early estimate of 150k copies sold in the first week in the US. If they were expecting it to sell 150k in the US alone, selling less than that worldwide must have disappointing. I just don't know if they could realistically expect it to sell that much, considering so many casual listeners have just recently bought the original Bad or a greatest hits album that has most of Bad's best known songs. And the distribution problems don't exactly help either.

Yes, i would love to know as well. The estimate of 150k i imagine would initially come from sony. They sold 40k of immortal in the first week with little fanfare, but of course they had the immortal shows on tour in the us at the time. I thought the promotion was ok - tv ads, internet ads on youtube, reviews in the papers helped by the spike lee doc. US also had the pepsi cans, although it looked as if they were a little elusive. I guess my benchmark was thriller25 so i'm disappointed in the worldwide figures. I remember a couple of years back paul mccartney re-released wings- band on the run- their main album i think from the 70s. ITV did a big documentary on it on primetime tv - don't know the uk figures but on mediatraffic they had it debuting at 40k globally.

They said 1MIL units. So 3 x 123,000 + DVD sales. It should be in few weeks.

Good pick up. Hadn't noticed they said units.

MJelboo said:
and even fans like us are not buying Bad 25. I can't see anything that the Estate could put out ever selling 'well'...

I never noticed 'fans like us' not buying bad25 ??- it seems to have ticked all the right boxes for fans.

Last edited:

They could have released Vision blu-ray because they have all the videos in HD. But they decided to release youtube rip DVD. FAIL #1
They could have released MICHAEL album, the first MJ studio album in 9 years, they had enormous amount of quality material. They released we all know what. FAIL #2
They could have released any concert from Bad tour they have in DVD quality, but they decided to release Wembley in VHS quality. FAIL #3

If they continue like this I think I have to agree with you. But it is really phenomenal to see how they fail every time to deliver high quality great product when it is really not that hard. In my opinion they are not the right men for this job. John Branca is a great lawyer but he don't know how to do this job right. John McClain is a mediocre producer and he is also doing this job badly. They are both great in legal stuff and dealing with MJ debts and other things. But releases are just not good.

Last edited:
I am getting depressed here reading the comments here. Sales are not the way they used to be for anybody. Michael died 3 years ago and maybe people have Bad already. I think the dvd will continue to sell well and I think the documentary will be good too. It's going to be on national television. I really don't know what to expect anymore but I do know I really am happy with my Bad 25.

Just a few notes I've noticed that I haven't seen mentioned yet (apologies if they are).

I wouldn't compare Bad25 sales with Thriller25 because the Worlds economy was much much better back then (and we all had jobs).

Also, Thriller25 has the personal message from Michael to all his fans and sadly that is not possible any more!!!

I also think that he Spike Lee documentary should of got loads of publicity and that alone would of drove sales. A well known and respected director makes a documentary about the most famous person on the planet should of been picked up by the media. It's still the only MJ documentary that has been made by a proper film-maker!!!

I'm glad you pointed that out. I wouldn't want it from iTunes-I definitely bought the physical copy!!!

I don't know if this is posted yet but I checked the Australia ARIA charts and Sunday night it was:
#14 on the album chart
#1 on the catalogue album chart
#2 on the DVD chart.

This is with NO promotion. I'm super pissed that there been nothing, they could have at least done an ad on tv.

If they continue like this I think I have to agree with you. But it is really phenomenal to see how they fail every time to deliver high quality great product when it is really not that hard. In my opinion they are not the right men for this job. John Branca is a great lawyer but he don't know how to do this job right. John McClain is a mediocre producer and he is also doing this job badly. They are both great in legal stuff and dealing with MJ debts and other things. But releases are just not good.

Honestly, I think there may be some truth to what you are saying, and I've felt the same way in the past. But I do think they have done a pretty good job with Bad25. It's not everything I wanted it to be, but it is damn close, and it is quality. I give them a lot of respect for what they've done with this release and they have redeemed themselves slightly in my eyes. If anything, I think they may just need a bit more help.

Maybe you should check out how other legends did on the charts directly after the post death hpye and surge was over: http://www.mjjcommunity.com/forum/t...ts-putting-Michael-s-prospects-into-a-context

It's not unusual at all. I wish MJ fans would realize that and stop with the gloom and doom.

Also people bring up all kind of random re-releases to compare Bad 25 to. Like Graceland 25. But often those comparisons are very flawed. In the case of Graceland 25:

1) Paul Simon still lives.
2) There hasn't been a surge in the sales of his albums only three years ago, nor over-exposure of Paul Simon in the media in the past three years.
3) The docu promoting it was aired right BEFORE the release hit the stores.
4) And actually it wasn't even more successful than Bad 25!
It was in the UK and Ireland (maybe helped by the BBC documentary) but that's it. On world wide sales Bad 25 is actually more successful.

Last edited:
I disagree with @thegreeneyedone because the BET special was NOT unseen. My friend did the Twitter event while watching it. It went well because MJ was exposed to a younger audience. 106 and Park, the show before the short films special, promoted the special causing viewers to stay on BET after 106 and Park ended. It WORKED because Bad25 is # 7 on the Billboard RnB. If USA MJ fans didn’t watch it because it was on BET or whatever reason, they missed a great special.

Imagine what Spike Lee’s documentary could have done if it was in theaters or on HBO before 9/18 AND was packaged correctly WITH the non-live Bad25 music cds? As I originally said, those cds are failing in markets they should have succeeded in due to poor packaging and ridiculous handling of its best advertisement, the Lee documentary.

OnirMJ;3718336 said:

Agreed. Again, I’m not anti-estate but, the executors should hire someone else to create and develop the next MJ project and stick with handling the debt. The Cirque show and the video game succeeded because the executors licensed MJ’s music and image to others who knew what to do. The only truly successful project by the executors was TII but, again, others controlled the resulting film (Ortega/AEG).

Bad25 is good but it is NOT packaged correctly.

Do we have any global sales?

Why take chart numbers so serious?
If Bad25 got no1 and the sales were only 50000, would that make you happy?
I think that would have been more embarrassing and critics would said, he got the hot spot with such low sales , only because he didnt have any competition.

And the album is top10 everywhere. With pretty big competition.

For me are the global sales, physical and digital are more importand, then chart numbers.

At the end of the day mj has a very small cat for someone who has been around for so long and each album has such huge sales that u are always going to struggle to continue to sell large amounts continuasly as it gets to a point where everyone who wants the album has it. and u need to wait x amount of years before you start to promote it again to another generation.

also the issue of no promo/maybe price and it seems the dvd has done well so ppl arent fussed with the album for the reasons posted about.sony wont waste money on big promo. heck they were bad enough before. the paid big bucks for the contract and thats backfired so dont expect them to spend money

but really who cares about sales. enjoy what u have cause frankly i wish sales was all we had to worry about.it should be the least of ppls worries

Also, Thriller25 has the personal message from Michael to all his fans and sadly that is not possible any more!!!

That message was embarassing for a fan. He said he worked HARD on that pathetic release. Couldn't believe this was the same man who said he wanted his products to be worth the trouble of going to a record store and buying it.

That message was embarassing for a fan. He said he worked HARD on that pathetic release. Couldn't believe this was the same man who said he wanted his products to be worth the trouble of going to a record store and buying it.

I disagree with you. It is not embarassing and pathetic release. I like some of the remixes, much better than Immortal for example.

That was part of promotion. He recorded some background vocals and one verse for WBSS 2008, he finished some work on For All Time and co-produced the remixes. He worked, but he did not work hard. Majority of the work was done by will.i.a, Akon & Kanye because Michael asked them to and he gave them "hands free".

As much as I hate the Thriller 25 remixes ...I disagree with you. After MJ going through that horrendous trial, we the fans do not know what constituted "Hard Work" for him.

I hate the remixes...but I appreciate the efforts to do this for the fans.

Some should be greatful he did anything at all after what he was put through.

Not really charts - BUT - I went to town today and ALL music stores have BAD25 now! - Last week noone had it!!

So next week I think BAD25 sales could be better in Denmark than this week sales!!

The 2 major music stores had all the different editions (except the leather case of course - it's only sold on MJ.com!)

Hope the Wembley DVD will go to #1 next week!

Still I have not seen TV adds or anything like that in Denmark! :(

If a prober TV add were made for Wembley it would sell extremly well I think !! People just need to know it's released!!

Hits Daily Double projected sales of 9,945 in the US last week, to finish at # 37. A drop of 66%, same as last week's #1 Pink's. But since Billboard will split BAD / BAD 25, I expect it to chart much lower.

1037MICHAEL JACKSONLEGACY9,945-66%
BAD - 25TH ANNIVERSARY EDITION

I find it very odd that no MJ release after THIS IS IT was marketed as such.

A damn shame. BAD 25 failed.

Its didnt fail its loved by everyone who purched it :) Plus it doing quite well for a re-release.

Back