Bmi Urban Awards... mike didnt appear

Look, like always, my only original point was that without Michael, the J5 are an average group and wouldn't have made it in such a competitive atmosphere. That's not saying they aren't talented, that's saying they aren't exceptionally talented. You have to differentiate. Michael is what made them exceptional, period. And it's not that they aren't exceptionally talented COMPARED to Michael. I'm making that statement based on what was the standard for artists back then, just in general. I know I'll take heat for saying it, but I don't think Michael needed anyone to make it, but his brothers most asuredly needed him. Tell me I'm putting them down, tell me I'm calling them talentless, say whatever you want, but you're wrong. I'm just being realistic. They're talented, ranging from marginal ability to good and there's nothing wrong with that. I'm just giving my honest assessment of them from an artistic stand point and it's what I've always thought. I still think they're awesome as people and let me tell you, when Michael was arrested, the first thing I said was "Thank God his family is with him." So it's not like I don't appreciate them. Michael NEEDS them on a personal and emotional level and I'll be the first to say so. I just don't think he needs them on an artistic one and never did.

Look, like always, my only original point was that without Michael, the J5 are an average group and wouldn't have made it in such a competitive atmosphere. That's not saying they aren't talented, that's saying they aren't exceptionally talented. You have to differentiate. Michael is what made them exceptional, period. And it's not that they aren't exceptionally talented COMPARED to Michael. I'm making that statement based on what was the standard for artists back then, just in general. I know I'll take heat for saying it, but I don't think Michael needed anyone to make it, but his brothers most asuredly needed him. Tell me I'm putting them down, tell me I'm calling them talentless, say whatever you want, but you're wrong. I'm just being realistic. They're talented, ranging from marginal ability to good and there's nothing wrong with that. I'm just giving my honest assessment of them from an artistic stand point and it's what I've always thought. I still think they're awesome as people and let me tell you, when Michael was arrested, the first thing I said was "Thank God his family is with him." So it's not like I don't appreciate them. Michael NEEDS them on a personal and emotional level and I'll be the first to say so. I just don't think he needs them on an artistic one and never did.
:clapping::clapping::clapping:....

I think Jermaine does good to be the spokesperson for the family. Yes, Jermaine does let his emotion get to him sometimes but what does anyone expect when you are correcting lies said about YOUR FAMILY. That is just common sense to see a brother acting like that for his family. If Jermaine talk without that emotion, that is when I would get nervous. As for talent, I think Jermaine is a great singer but he just did not get the world wide base audience like many other R & B artists. What set Michael aside from most is "CHARISMA" and all that talent roll up into one . If you look most of your larger than life celebs have that "light". As it was said, when Michael blow up, Michael had the charm, the charisma, that dance moves, the voice, the songs, the looks (boy was @#$ good looking), the vidoes, etc. That is what Made Michael MEGA.

So true

I think if it wasn't for Michael, the Jacskons woud've just been another retro Motown group like the Commodores, or Tops. Michael's talent was phenominal.

I doubt Berry would have agreeed to him marrying his daughter if he didn't believe he could use his talent.

Errr, that really has nothing to do with his talent. I believed that Berry let Jermaine marry his daughter because Hazel liked him or loved him a lot.

Thiss is why I do not compare them to Michael. It is pointless. Nobody is as big as Michael, so why subject the brothers to that comparison. Tito once said he is no Michael Jackson. Just let the brothers take a bow for what they have achieverd, TOGETHER as a group. This is not about their solo career., This is about a GROUP EFFORT which is what they were being awarded for. Each one of them played their part

The poster was trying to show that MJ had charisma in the group. That is all. Everyone on here has already stated how much of an influence they were and their achievements. The solo career was mentioned to show that others in the family did not have the star quality like Mike or even Janet. That was why people discussed the solo career. Yes, each one of the members played their part and that is why I stated that they were honored, not just MJ.

Oh yes, someone mentioned on this thread that the Jacksons did not influenced anyone: well, almost every boy band were based on the Jacksons. That is part of their influence. Also, they had a huge social impact as well regarding young black youth during the 1970s. The impact was huge. Yeah, MoTown groomed them and that is actually a good thing. It prepared them for interviews and how they can conduct themselves in public. That is what is lacking in the music business today. You have grown people cvoming to the VMAs with a wifebeater and boxers on. You have an artist riding an elephant to the award show and when they talk, they sound like idiots. Where is the grooming at? The self respect? So, I think it would be fair not to downplay what Motown did for the Jacksons regarding them being groomed and prepared. If you watch old school video footage of them being interviewed on youtbe, you will be amazed of their composure and how they interact. It was wonderful to really watch.

Last edited:
Videos of Janet presenting award to her brothers

http://www.blinkx.com/video/bmi-urban-awards/nytTSttStouUk7VlvXdf6w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0Wa9TgiubQ

janet8best.jpg

Back