Bmi Urban Awards... mike didnt appear

The Jacksons' commercial success did pave the way for further acceptance of black pop, I think Tito meant their post-Motown work, which I agree was influential to modern popular music, though it's quite limited compared to someone like, say, the Isley Brothers or James Brown, as I said. In comparison, Michael Jackson (and to a short extent, sister Janet) has arguably had more influence on the development of contemporary R&B than the Jacksons as a whole did.

The Jackson 5's success was partly because of Michael and Jermaine's lead vocals, the Jacksons' harmony parts, and also mainly because of the marketing genius of Berry Gordy, who made The Supremes and The Temptations who they became in the sixties. The Jackson 5 were Motown puppets though when looking at it in the long run and unlike Marvin and Stevie they were unable to convince Berry Gordy that they had more talent than they were allowed to.

You're right!I think the same way...

Because of the interventions of Motown many artists had his talent limited...

Talking about Michael's brothers. I think after Michael, Jackie and Randy are most creative Jacksons in the family. They could have become what The Neptunes are today if they had become songwriters and producers for other artists. I think they are both huge talents in the studio, and Randy like Prince and Paul McCartney can play every almost every instrument.

Jackie wrote and composed Your Ways on the Triumph album which is an amazing song, and Torture on the Victory album. Plus he co-wrote Can You Feel It with Michael. Though Michael is mainly responsible for writing and composing Shake Your Body (Down To The Ground), Michael got the inspiration for the song after Randy was playing a radom tune on the piano at their Encino mansion, a tune Randy thought was nothing special and Michael thought was on his own words "something".

Tito is a great guitar player, though obviously not in the league of Jimi Hendrix, Prince (my favorite guitar player) or Slash. But Tito is great at what he does and is an above average talent. Jermaine is a great vocalist, very underrated and should have had a greater solo career with such a great voice. Jermaine just never looks fully at ease when he's performing as a solo artist, and doesn't have a strong presence on stage as solo artist. I don't really know what to make of Marlon as singer and dancer, except he's an ok singer and a good dancer, and would have been seen as a good dancer (he's better than Usher) if he wasn't in a band with a genius of a singer and dancer like his younger brother Michael. You look at the Jackson 5/Jacksons as a whole, and even though none of his brothers are geniuses like Michael the group was amazing and wouldn't have been amazing if Michael's brothers were not also great talents themselves. The Jackson 5 were insync when they performed live, all of them created an amazing group even if Motown did write the songs, did the choreography and choose the clothes. Also the actually structure of how the Jackson 5 did perform, was really set before they signed to Motown. Motown bascally got Michael to stop his James Brown routines and made him do more chorographed routines so not to over shadow his brothers on stage. I think Michael and his brothers may have done their own choregraphy from around 1973-74 when Suzanne DePass had less input with the Jackson 5 as she was responsible for the chorography from mainly from around 1969-72. It wouldn't have worked if Michael was the only talent in the Jackson 5. Of course Michael out grew the group, and by the mid 1970's it looked like just Michael and his backing band, but his brothers deserve a lot of credit.

Though the Jackson 5 had no creative input on their Motown songs, Michael was given free creativity on how he could sing his songs from 1972. So you are in some aspect hearing some early creativity as a vocalist from Michael.

Last edited:
Talking about Michael's brothers. I think after Michael, Jackie and Randy are most creative Jacksons in the family. They could have become what The Neptunes are today if they had become songwriters and producers for other artists. I think they are both huge talents in the studio, and Randy like Prince and Paul McCartney can play every almost every instrument.

Jackie wrote and composed Your Ways on the Triumph album which is an amazing song, and Torture on the Victory album. Plus he co-wrote Can You Feel It with Michael. Though Michael is mainly responsible for writing and composing Shake Your Body (Down To The Ground), Michael got the inspiration for the song after Randy was playing a radom tune on the piano at their Encino mansion, a tune Randy thought was nothing special and Michael thought was on his own words "something".

Though the Jackson 5 had no creative input on their Motown songs, Michael was given free creativity on how he could sing his songs from 1972. So you are in some aspect hearing some early creativity as a vocalist from Michael.

Very good point. When we realise that these were actually CHILDREN competing in a very fiece adult market, I am blown away at how professional they were. None of us will ever know what the real deal was with the family. I heard that Michael was very influenced by Jermaine and tried to copy him.; Marlon wasn't good at dancing to start off with, He is only a year older than MJ so he was probably 8 or 9 and hadn't really sorted himself out yet. He sure got it right in the end, he and Michael competed with each other. I hear that Marlon showered praises on his father for putting the group together, so he obviously hasn't held any grudges.
Jermaine is very talented. Sometimes he seems to sing better than Michael. He plays a number of instruments really well. He is a bad bass player. He was doing this at age 9. That is talent. Let me repost this.

QUOTE from John Rich "Jermaine Jackson really blew me away," "He wrote one of the best songs I've ever heard - not one of the best songs on this show, but one of the best songs I've ever heard. This is a very, very serious musician. This guy can play three or four instruments, still sings great, looks great, wrote a great song. He really surprised me, because I didn't know what I was going to get."
:yes:

You know it's funny now but when the Jackson 5 signed with Motown in 1968, Berry Gordy decided NOT to let Tito and Jermaine play their instruments on their records. Motown's Funk Brothers (first album only at Hitsville USA) and the Wrecking Crew (the Hitsville West musicians) played the instruments. The Jacksons didn't really play on their records until 1976. On stage they did show people that there was more to them than the 3-minute pop staples but it had become very limiting during their time in Motown.

That is interesting, but true. They can play, obviously, and I think Randy is probably the best musician of the group, but that sort of lends weight to what I say, that there are better musicians out there, which is why I think in a lot of ways, the brothers hold Michael back in live shows, because they can't play certain things as well as other musicians. That's not a diss. I'm just being honest.

That's only because Motown themselves start to realize that Michael had began developing his tenor voice, they allowed him to arrange it in his own way only because he could only go so far with his kid voice.

The Jacksons' commercial success did pave the way for further acceptance of black pop, I think Tito meant their post-Motown work, which I agree was influential to modern popular music, though it's quite limited compared to someone like, say, the Isley Brothers or James Brown, as I said. In comparison, Michael Jackson (and to a short extent, sister Janet) has arguably had more influence on the development of contemporary R&B than the Jacksons as a whole did.

The Jackson 5's success was partly because of Michael and Jermaine's lead vocals, the Jacksons' harmony parts, and also mainly because of the marketing genius of Berry Gordy, who made The Supremes and The Temptations who they became in the sixties. The Jackson 5 were Motown puppets though when looking at it in the long run and unlike Marvin and Stevie they were unable to convince Berry Gordy that they had more talent than they were allowed to.

Good post again Timmy. I guess though, the gist of my point is that, while I think the Jacksons needed Michael, I don't believe Michael ever needed the Jacksons. They helped him get his start alright, and they were a pivital element in the direction his career took, obviously since he started in the group and that determined the early part of his career all the way to the late 70s. But I strongly feel that Michael would have made it either way because his talent is extremely special and if that was what he wanted, he could have made it. The other brothers, however, I don't feel ever would have. Jermaine is the next most talented, in my view, but I don't believe his talent is strong enough to the point where he could have made a career without Michael. And most definitley not the others who are very weak vocally.

Actually, Jermaine did make a BIG career without Michael. He was the first to go solo and his albums were N0 1. They are still classics today. Jermaine was very popular. Every one wanted to do duets with him. Check them out on youtube. Jermaine was arguably the most popular brother in the group.

That's only because Motown themselves start to realize that Michael had began developing his tenor voice, they allowed him to arrange it in his own way only because he could only go so far with his kid voice.

That's true. But Michael said in his autobiography Moonwalk that he told Berry Gordy that he was fed up of producers telling him how to sing songs, and Berry Gordy gave him permission to do so. I think the first song Michael had free creative range to sing on may have been Never Can Say Goodbye from 1971.

Actually, Jermaine did make a BIG career without Michael. He was the first to go solo and his albums were N0 1. They are still classics today. Jermaine was very popular. Every one wanted to do duets with him. Check them out on youtube. Jermaine was arguably the most popular brother in the group.

Jermaine never had a BIG career, and his albums aren't classics. Jermaine was the first member of the group to leave for a solo career, but Michael who in 1972 was the first to have a solo single and album is the only Jackson brother to have a BIG career with classic albums etc. Most people we know about music know Marvin Gaye has an album called What's Goin O, because that is a classic album. Most people who know about music don't know the name of any of Jermaine Jackson's singles or albums, as he doesn't have any classic albums. The only people likely to know his albums are Michael Jackson and Jackson 5 fans.

Jermaine had a moderate career, he may have had some No.1's in the R&B charts but his albums weren't the first to go No.1 in the mainstream pop charts like the Billboard Pop/Rock charts because he never had any. In 1984, Jermaine was disapointed Michael couldn't get Epic to agree with his label Arista to release their duet Tell Me I'm Not Dreamin (Too God to Be True), because he said it was his only chance of having a No.1 single. If Jermaine had a big career without Michael he wouldn't have said such a thing. Success isn't down to just talent, but star quality and as a performer Jermaine has no star quality (in real life, walking in to a studio Jermaine has a lot of star quality as I've seen him and shook his hand in 1989 when Jackie and Tito also came to London to promote the 2300 Jackson Street album), I think Jermaine is far more talented vocally than Janet but as a whole package she also has a lot of confidence and star quality on stage that he lacks. Maybe being in a group with Michael held him back and made him lose confidence (and maybe it didn't), because I'm sure Joesph put a lot of pressure on the brothers to be like Michael, where as Janet would never of had that so she could procress as her own rate.

Jermaine's career never really took of and Jermaine as a solo artist may was never arguably the most popular brother in the group. The first 2 or 3 years Jermaine was arguably the most popular brother pinup wise with girls, as Michael was just a little kid. I know about Jermaine's career and his duet with Stevie Wonder (Jermaine's biggest hit) and with Whitney Houston (before she was famous) on his Dynamite album etc. But he never had a big career with huge hit singles and albums and sell out tours. He was never bigger or as big as The Jacksons when he went solo in 1976.

Last edited:
Datsymay, if he was the most popular brother in the group, then why didn't he outsell Michael?

You didn't really get what I meant. Jermaine had some success as a solo artist, some, but I don't believe he ever would have had the opportunity to have a successful music career without having been a part of the Jackson Five. He got that opportunity because of the group and the group got that opportunity because of Michael.

Jermaine was vry popular in the group. He was the heart throb of the group. When Jermaine left the group, many of j5 fans left with Jermaine. The Jacksons had to rebuild and convice their fans that they could do it. In the mean time Jermaine was kicking it with those massive albums. MJ had competition. Jermaine was the competition. People had faith in Jermaine as the next Marvin Gaye. They did not know what Michael was coming with. So yes, MJ had to dig deep and come up with the goods and he did. The Jacksons have only had to compete with themselves. I believe that the market was flooded and some of them had to bow out. Had Jermaine had the stmina to stay who knows how things would have turned out.

Look, we've had this discussion before. Jermaine was never going to be the next Marvin Gaye. That was speculation because Jermaine married in to Berry Gordy's family and Marvin was Berry's right hand man for a long time. Jermaine never had the talent to be the next Marvin Gaye. Jermaine's career at Motown floundered badly after the other brothers moved to CBS. He didn't have any hits until Stevie Wonder wrote him "Let's Get Serious", while the brothers were still having success in dance clubs with songs like "Enjoy Yourself" and "Keep on Dancin'". In fact, hardly anyone actually noticed that Jermaine was gone from the group save for hardcore fans. It didn't really affect them. What affected them was CBS not allowing them to write and produce their own material. As soon as they gained that privledge, their success grew. Jermaine found hardly any success at Motown, that's why he eventually had to move to Arista, where he found more success. But he was never any kind of real competition for Michael. By the time that happened, "Off The Wall" had already droped and was the biggest selling album ever by a black artist. The public made it clear that they wanted Michael on his own.

Jermaine Jackson was tipped to be the next Marvin Gaye wheen he was 14 years old, not 19 when he married gordy's daughter. I doubt Berry would have agreeed to him marrying his daughter if he didn't believe he could use his talent. It was the big talk in Motown, not me. You really need to stop downplaying other peoples talent. It won't hurt Michael to acknowlede his brothers talents too. It Makes Michael richer, not smaller.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLntRUG_3s4&feature=related

Last edited:
Jermaine Jackson may have been tipped to be the next big solo Jackson act and the next Marvin but he never was able to really prove it, maybe it's because maybe he didn't have it like that. Jermaine just didn't have the "it" factor that made Michael who he is. Neither was he the second coming of Marvin.

Jermaine Jackson was tipped to be the next Marvin Gaye wheen he was 14 years old, not 19 when he married gordy's daughter. It won't hurt Michael to acknowlede his brothers talents too. It Makes Michael richer, not smaller.

Jermaine was tipped to be the next Marvin Gaye after he married Hazel Gordy, but never lived up to the expectations. Motown never focused on Jermaine when they signed to Motown, it was always focused on Michael Jackson. Berry Gordy even wanted to call the group Michael Jackson & The Jackson 5, and Diana Ross even introduced them as Michael Jackson & The Jackson 5 on her televison show in 1969 when they first performed I Want You Back. The only reason they remained the Jackson 5 is that Joesph didn't want Michael singled out. But it's Michael's genius that made the Jackson 5 such a unique and amazing group. All of the brothers including Jermaine would acknowledge that now, just as Michael would acknowledge that his brothers greatly contributed to making the Jackson 5 a legendary group and that Jermaine was an influence on his vocals as a child.

Most fans like myself acknowledge Michael's brothers are very talented, and I hate it when fans say Michael's brothers are talentless. I've said Jermaine has a brilliant voice, and a voice that deserved a far more successful solo career. But the fact is Jermaine never has a big solo career, and it would have been cool if he had done because he's a brilliant vocalist.

And Jermaine only had three top ten hits compared to Marvin's eighteen, Stevie's twenty-seven and Michael's twenty-eight, lol.

"Daddy's Home" peaked at No. 9 in 1972, "Let's Get Serious" peaked at No. 8 in 1980 but that was because STEVIE WONDER co-wrote and produced it, and "Dynamite" peaked the same way in 1984.

His other big hits that were only modestly successful included "Let Me Tickle Your Fancy" (1982) and "I Think It's Love" (1986).

He had a few R&B No. 1's, yes, but his hits, with the exception of "Let's Get Serious", was as memorable in the black community. "Don't Take It Personal" actually made it to No. 1 on the R&B chart in 1989 but it's like one of those "oh I didn't know" type of stories.

Jermaine tried to get to where his brother was and just wasn't able to do it.

Yes he is a talent and he even helped the DeBarge family get signed to Motown but let's not let ourselves get too big for our heads, he just wasn't able to match his contemporaries either commercially nor artistically.

Call it harsh but that's the way I see it.

Jermaine was tipped to be the next Marvin Gaye after he married Hazel Gordy, but never lived up to the expectations. Motown never focused on Jermaine when they signed to Motown, it was always focused on Michael Jackson. Berry Gordy even wanted to call the group Michael Jackson & The Jackson 5, and Diana Ross even introduced them as Michael Jackson & The Jackson 5 on her televison show in 1969 when they first performed I Want You Back. The only reason they remained the Jackson 5 is that Joesph didn't want Michael singled out. But it's Michael's genius that made the Jackson 5 such a unique and amazing group. All of the brothers including Jermaine would acknowledge that now, just as Michael would acknowledge that his brothers greatly contributed to making the Jackson 5 a legendary group and that Jermaine was an influence on his vocals as a child.

Most fans like myself acknowledge Michael's brothers are very talented, and I hate it when fans say Michael's brothers are talentless. I've said Jermaine has a brilliant voice, and a voice that deserved a far more successful solo career. But the fact is Jermaine never has a big solo career, and it would have been cool if he had done because he's a brilliant vocalist.

Yeah Jermaine definitely influenced Mike (and Janet later said Mike and Jermaine both became her primary influences), but that's as far as that goes. I think because of Michael's success, Jermaine didn't get the big success that his talent probably should've received.

I would agree with this. I do not kjnow exactly when they called Jermaine the next Marvin Gaye. I know that when you listen to early Jermaine, before his voice broke, it was very difficult to tell his voice from Michael's. Don't forget that MJ wasn't in the lineup for the group in the beginning. The boys had talent before MJ was discovered. Nobody knows which way it would have gone if there wasn't a michael. Maybe Berry would have written diffent songs to make then successful. All we can do is guess. What I do know is that where there is one person that sticks out, the others tend to be more laid back or take a back seat.
For example, I always thought that MJ was the most sensitive brother of the group, until I saw Jermaine in the CBB house. The guy could cry buckets. Then I saw Jacky break down and cry, now Randy. Seems that all the brothers are sensitive. What I am saying is that maybe the other brothers talent didn't develop as much as they were happy to let Michael, their little brother take centre stage.
I know that there was always very loud applause for Jackie or Jermaine when they got a solo part, so obviously, the crowd was acknowleding their talents too.;
I only recently heard Tito sing solo and thought he had a great voice, not many people know he can sing that well.

I think because of Michael's success, Jermaine didn't get the big success that his talent probably should've received.

I don't think Jermaine never made it big because of Michael success (and also the fact he's a genius). I think it's simply the fact his songs were good but never original enough, and the fact he doesn't have a strong stage and screen presence. Jermaine was also at his best and most relaxed on stage and screen performing secondary vocals to Michael as part of the Jackson 5.

Just look at the below performance of Jermaine singing Let's Get Serious, he lacks confidence as a solo performer, he's so stiff it's like watching John McCain performing.

Yeah Jermaine definitely influenced Mike (and Janet later said Mike and Jermaine both became her primary influences), but that's as far as that goes. I think because of Michael's success, Jermaine didn't get the big success that his talent probably should've received.
I agree with this. The problem with Jermaine is that he never achieved his full potential as a solo artist. That is a shame. He could have been a great solo artist, but something got in the way. he did many albums though and have some very good songs, just not enough exposure.

Frank sinatra was stiffer and it didn't stop him. I think that sometimes people need to listen to the talent and not compare other people on stage.

I think because of Michael's success, Jermaine didn't get the big success that his talent probably should've received.

I don't think Jermaine never made it big because of Michael success (and also the fact he's a genius). I think it's simply the fact his songs were good but never original enough, and the fact he doesn't have a strong stage and screen presence. Jermaine was also at his best and most relaxed on stage and screen performing secondary vocals to Michael as part of the Jackson 5.

Just look at the below performance of Jermaine singing Let's Get Serious, he lacks confidence as a solo performer, he's so stiff it's like watching John McCain performing.

I know that when you listen to early Jermaine, before his voice broke, it was very difficult to tell his voice from Michael's. Don't forget that MJ wasn't in the lineup for the group in the beginning. The boys had talent before MJ was discovered. Nobody knows which way it would have gone if there wasn't a michael.

Michael and Jermaine's vocals have never sounded the same even before Jermaine's voice broke. The only thing is Michael and Jermaine's vocal's have always complimented and blended beautifully when singing together. All of the brothers sound different when they sing.

I doubt the Jackson 5 would have made it big, If their had been no Michael. I think the family would have been sports stars without Michael, as they are or were an unbeaten basket ball team in celebrity circles. And before they signed to Motown a professional baseball team wanted to sign Jackie as a player. But let's get real, Michael's has always existed, and it was Michael who gave the Jackson 5 the genius that made them a legendary group. The brothers are talented, but Michael was the main man of the family from the time he was an infant. He is the face of the Jackson 5 and the whole family.

As people I'm sure Michael and his brothers have lot's of simularites. They grew up with each and are obviously brothers. Jermaine has said it hurts him when the media say Michael has abused children, because he says all of the brothers are the same and it's like accusing all of them. Tito has said Michael and Marlon are really close, closer than the pubic know. This thread isn't about distancing Michael from his brothers, it's just saying that his brothers aren't huge success and talents like Michael. They deserve a lot more credit as part of the Jackson 5/ Jacksons than they get, but it is Michael who made the group amazing because he is the amazing talent of the family. I'm sure at one time Michael's success and talent was envied by some (not all) of his brothers, but now they would say Michael was what made the Jackson 5 amazing, just as Michael would say his brothers are a huge part of his legacy as as solo artist because it's the Jackson 5 that stared his career.

Jermaine Jackson was tipped to be the next Marvin Gaye wheen he was 14 years old, not 19 when he married gordy's daughter. I doubt Berry would have agreeed to him marrying his daughter if he didn't believe he could use his talent. It was the big talk in Motown, not me. You really need to stop downplaying other peoples talent. It won't hurt Michael to acknowlede his brothers talents too. It Makes Michael richer, not smaller.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLntRUG_3s4&feature=related

Well you need to stop exaggerating their solo success and talent, because that's what you're doing.

Timmy is right, he never was the second coming of Marvin and anyone with ears would know that.

&nbsp

&nbsp

Michael and Jermaine's vocals have never sounded the same even before Jermaine's voice broke. The only thing is Michael and Jermaine's vocal's have always complimented and blended beautifully when singing together. All of the brothers sound different when they sing.

I doubt the Jackson 5 would have made it big, If their had been no Michael. I think the family would have been sports stars without Michael, as they are or were an unbeaten basket ball team in celebrity circles. And before they signed to Motown a professional baseball team wanted to sign Jackie as a player. But let's get real, Michael's has always existed, and it was Michael who gave the Jackson 5 the genius that made them a legendary group. The brothers are talented, but Michael was the main man of the family from the time he was an infant. He is the face of the Jackson 5 and the whole family.

As people I'm sure Michael and his brothers have lot's of simularites. They grew up with each and are obviously brothers. Jermaine has said it hurts him when the media say Michael has abused children, because he says all of the brothers are the same and it's like accusing all of them. Tito has said Michael and Marlon are really close, closer than the pubic know. This thread isn't about distancing Michael from his brothers, it's just saying that his brothers aren't huge success and talents like Michael. They deserve a lot more credit as part of the Jackson 5/ Jacksons than they get, but it is Michael who made the group amazing because he is the amazing talent of the family. I'm sure at one time Michael's success and talent was envied by some (not all) of his brothers, but now they would say Michael was what made the Jackson 5 amazing, just as Michael would say his brothers are a huge part of his legacy as as solo artist because it's the Jackson 5 that stared his career.

Why would the highlighted part needed saying. Any fool would know that. This contention only arose when people make the claim that the brothers were not talented. It is unfair to even compare then with Michael since nobody has ever been as successful as Michael. Unfortunately that is what we are doing. Individually, the Jacksons could mopst likely outsing any of the boyband out there today. They also wrote their own songs and play multiple instruments. That is talent enough for me. Yes, they could have made it without Michael and made it big too.

And Jermaine only had three top ten hits compared to Marvin's eighteen, Stevie's twenty-seven and Michael's twenty-eight, lol.

"Daddy's Home" peaked at No. 9 in 1972, "Let's Get Serious" peaked at No. 8 in 1980 but that was because STEVIE WONDER co-wrote and produced it, and "Dynamite" peaked the same way in 1984.

His other big hits that were only modestly successful included "Let Me Tickle Your Fancy" (1982) and "I Think It's Love" (1986).

He had a few R&B No. 1's, yes, but his hits, with the exception of "Let's Get Serious", was as memorable in the black community. "Don't Take It Personal" actually made it to No. 1 on the R&B chart in 1989 but it's like one of those "oh I didn't know" type of stories.

Jermaine tried to get to where his brother was and just wasn't able to do it.

Yes he is a talent and he even helped the DeBarge family get signed to Motown but let's not let ourselves get too big for our heads, he just wasn't able to match his contemporaries either commercially nor artistically.

Call it harsh but that's the way I see it.

Well it's just the truth. No one is trying to say Jermaine isn't talented, or the other brothers. They are. But not talented enough to be able to compete with the big stars of the day, plain and simple.

Well you need to stop exaggerating their solo success and talent, because that's what you're doing.

Timmy is right, he never was the second coming of Marvin and anyone with ears would know that.
Where have I exaggerated their solo career? The trouble with you is that you dismiss every talent that is not comparable o Michaels and that is a shame because you are missing out.
I love to hear Marlon sing. He reminds me of Nat king - cole. I love jackie's voice esp when he sings falseto. I love to hear Tito. He is an great blues singer, and Jermaine is an excellent RnB singer and he does rival michael in the singing department. Some think he is better.
The only brother who had a very good solo career after Michael was jermaine. He was very popular when he started off and then he just vanished. I don't know what happened. Michael is the biggest solo artist of all time. That goes without saying.
I will say this though, that I most enjoy MJ's work with his brothers than I do his solo work.:D

Why would the highlighted part needed saying. Any fool would know that. This contention only arose when people make the claim that the brothers were not talented. It is unfair to even compare then with Michael since nobody has ever been as successful as Michael. Unfortunately that is what we are doing. Individually, the Jacksons could mopst likely outsing any of the boyband out there today. They also wrote their own songs and play multiple instruments. That is talent enough for me. Yes, they could have made it without Michael and made it big too.[/quote]

How? How would they have made it? Jermaine is the only other one with an actual voice, and he has practically zero stage presence. Jackie is a weak vocalist. His talent is as a song writer and as an athlete. Marlon can't sing at all and is a very, very average dancer. Randy is a good song writer and musician but he can't sing. When you look at all of their talents, you could find a number of people in the world with similar and matching abilities. Michael is what got them out of Gary, Michael's talent is what seperated them from groups like the Osmonds or other wanna be acts. There were plenty of acts trying to make it at that time who could have matched the Jackson's in terms of talent, in terms of professionalism, etc... but the one thing they didn't have was Michael, they didn't have a genius. The Jackson's did. With Michael's talent and Joe's drive, that's how they made it. Without Michael's talent, the likelyhood that they would have been able to differentiate themselves or make themselves stand out enough to get noticed by any major label would have been basically zero.

Where have I exaggerated their solo career? The trouble with you is that you dismiss every talent that is not comparable o Michaels and that is a shame because you are missing out.
I love to hear Marlon sing. He reminds me of Nat king - cole. I love jackie's voice esp when he sings falseto. I love to hear Tito. He is an great blues singer, and Jermaine is an excellent RnB singer and he does rival michael in the singing department. Some think he is better.
The only brother who had a very good solo career after Michael was jermaine. He was very popular when he started off and then he just vanished. I don't know what happened. Michael is the biggest solo artist of all time. That goes without saying.
I will say this though, that I most enjoy MJ's work with his brothers than I do his solo work.:D

How do you exaggerate? Look at your post right here. Marlon is like Nate King Cole? You're kidding, right? Jermaine was VERY successful? No, he wasn't. As Timmy pointed out, he had three, only THREE top ten hits in his entire career, and he basically floundered after he split with his brothers. Jackie's voice is seriously average. And you can think all you want that Jermaine is on Michael's level vocally, but that's just plain not true and to say so shows a lack of understanding on your part as to how vocally gifted Michael actually is. The range, the control, the styling, the quality and the timing of Michael as a vocalist makes Jermaine look decidedly average. You don't understand what Michael is.

That is your opnion wannabe. My opnion is that if they had the great songs, which they would have because they wrote them themselves and they had the right backing, they could have been large. They had the magic of being YOUNG. All were under 18. They could play their own instruments and they were a novelty. They could have made it big. That is what I believe. You believe what you want.

Well considering almost all of their hits that "they" wrote were either co-written or completely written by Michael, that sort of kills that argument. And they play instruments, but ain't none of them Eddie Van Halen or Elton John.

Back