Bmi Urban Awards... mike didnt appear

How do you exaggerate? Look at your post right here. Marlon is like Nate King Cole? You're kidding, right? Jermaine was VERY successful? No, he wasn't. As Timmy pointed out, he had three, only THREE top ten hits in his entire career, and he basically floundered after he split with his brothers. Jackie's voice is seriously average. And you can think all you want that Jermaine is on Michael's level vocally, but that's just plain not true and to say so shows a lack of understanding on your part as to how vocally gifted Michael actually is. The range, the control, the styling, the quality and the timing of Michael as a vocalist makes Jermaine look decidedly average. You don't understand what Michael is.
Go back and read what I said about Jermaine. I said he started out being successful and then he disappeared. I also said that he DID NOT achieve his full potential. How does that equate with him being very successful? Yes, Marlon REMINDS me of Nat king cole. READ my post.; I said he reminds me, I didn't say he is like. Don't put words in my mouth.

Well considering almost all of their hits that "they" wrote were either co-written or completely written by Michael, that sort of kills that argument. And they play instruments, but ain't none of them Eddie Van Halen or Elton John.
There you go putting people down again. You want every one to be the same as Michael and then you complain that they are the same. I recognise talent where I see them and I don't care that they are not like Michael. I still appreciate them and love them. Talent is god given. I don't want all my artists singing like Michael Jackson.

Well Nate King Cole is one of the greatest vocalist ever, so that's an odd comparison considering I can sing better then Marlon, lol.

You said right here
The only brother who had a very good solo career

Which would indicate you meant he had a lot of success, which he did not. And you suggested in several other places that Jermaine was very successful, like when you said

In the mean time Jermaine was kicking it with those massive albums.

Exaggeration. On and on. You've made several. If you're going to say that I need to stop putting the brothers talent down, then I'm going to tell you that you need to stop exaggeratting it.

There you go putting people down again. You want every one to be the same as Michael and then you complain that they are the same. I recognise talent where I see them and I don't care that they are not like Michael. I still appreciate them and love them. Talent is god given. I don't want all my artists singing like Michael Jackson.

I'm not putting them down, I'm just countering your arguments with facts, since you've gotten many of yours wrong. I never said they were talentless, I said that they aren't excpetionally talented, and that's NOT just in comparison to Michael. That's in comparison to most successful artists from the period they were in and even by some of todays standards.

Believe what you want, there is no point to carry on with this conversation cause we are just going round in circle. I appreciate all the Jackson brothers for what they brought to the table. I love to hear all of them sing. That is enough for me.

True, Jermaine's career was a moderate success and weren't as big, but after 30 years, I see his albums are loved by true music fans. His albums like Feel The Fire are favorites among hardcore R&B fans. On Okayplayer.com. the Jackson family were the July Artists of the month and people were posting Jermaine's music and people were discovering how good his work is

Anyone ever think that Jermaine wasn't more successful because he simply wasn't promoted as much? Jermaine wasn't as universally talented as Michael but he IS talented

sorry i forgot about this picture too

mjdnews1098.jpg

how come MJ wasn't there just asking

True, Jermaine's career was a moderate success and weren't as big, but after 30 years, I see his albums are loved by true music fans. His albums like Feel The Fire are favorites among hardcore R&B fans. On Okayplayer.com. the Jackson family were the July Artists of the month and people were posting Jermaine's music and people were discovering how good his work is

Anyone ever think that Jermaine wasn't more successful because he simply wasn't promoted as much? Jermaine wasn't as universally talented as Michael but he IS talented

Jermaine wouldn't have really gotten a chance because of the promotion. People thought if he was Michael's brother, he'll be alright but it turns out his talent wasn't really Michael-esque to them so they ignored him. Oh well. Plus nobody he signed with didn't know what to do with him. Even Clive Davis didn't know how to market him.

That's why I give my props to Janet. Somehow she was able to at least get some MULTI-PLATINUM success. Least Jermaine went gold though so that's still real good.

Michael, Janet and Jermaine were the only really successful Jackson siblings outside the groups.

marlon is a damn amazing dancer

tito kicks ass on theguitar

jermaine has a great voice, some even say better than mj, but b/c he doesn't have the platform to show it, we don't see it....

jan can get dance moves in minutes where it takes others hours or days....

mike ain't the only talent in that family and it's a shame that people think so and he's all they want to see. if he went, he'd take all the attention and that day was for the family, not just for him.

Jermaine is talented, no one said he isn't. But he just never had what it took to make it really successfully. He doesn't have charisma. Janet has charisma. They didn't know how to market him, but that's only part of the problem. If you have what it takes to make it and you really want to, you will. It's not like Jermaine didn't try. He did. He just never had what it takes. Good voice, not great, good musician, not great, good song writer, not great. But by todays standards boy, he should have been a shoe in. He's more talented then Janet and should technically be bigger then her, but Janet is smarter in terms of knowing how to sell herself and she has more classic material and she has the talent of screen presense, something Jermaine doesn't, and that was pivitol in the era of videos. Jermaine didn't make it because, in the end, he just couldn't.

Marlon is not a very good dancer Katie, lol. You even said that to me once, lol.

Marlon got good because Joe kept beating the mess out of him to do it, lol. :rollin: Poor Marlon had to perfect a Temptations dance move while Joe kept watch with that damn switch. :lol:

I say he's got skills though 'cause he's a hard worker. Also, he's a premmie (premature baby) like me. :D All the Jacksons got skills...

Er, well I don't know about La Toya... :shifty:

Yeah, Marlon's got skills, not talent, lol. Basically what you said Timmy.

La Toya can actually dance, if you ever watch her. I mean, she's nothin' special, but she's got good movement I think. She's smart too, despite her ditzy demeanor, lol.

Pretty good, lol. She's got more natural ability then most of the brothers I think.

Ooh don't let anyone else hear that. :shifty: :lol:

La Toya does seem to be a driven type. Unfortunately the way she has handled her career has hurt her chances in the long run. And unfortunate as it is, despite his talent, Jermaine has been pigeonholed as the "Jackson family spokesperson" but that's what he chose.

Funny though that it seems the next-to-youngest brother and the youngest in the family ended up being the breadwinners while the rest are just waiting for a Jacksons reunion. :lol:

Marlon got good because Joe kept beating the mess out of him to do it, lol. :rollin: Poor Marlon had to perfect a Temptations dance move while Joe kept watch with that damn switch. :lol:

I say he's got skills though 'cause he's a hard worker. Also, he's a premmie (premature baby) like me. :D All the Jacksons got skills...

Er, well I don't know about La Toya... :shifty:

Latoya did well with Playboy not everybody has that skill :lol: :rollin:

Ooh don't let anyone else hear that. :shifty: :lol:

La Toya does seem to be a driven type. Unfortunately the way she has handled her career has hurt her chances in the long run. And unfortunate as it is, despite his talent, Jermaine has been pigeonholed as the "Jackson family spokesperson" but that's what he chose.

Funny though that it seems the next-to-youngest brother and the youngest in the family ended up being the breadwinners while the rest are just waiting for a Jacksons reunion. :lol:

Now that's something, but it's true.

La Toya is driven I think, but like you said, she just made some really bad choices. She can't sing, but she's smart. If she hadn't gotten involved with the wrong people, she might have been a good business woman or something.

I don't even know why Jermaine is the family spokesperson. I guess because, like you said, he chose it, but he's not very articulate in interviews, so he's kind of a bad choice, lol.

Latoya did well with Playboy not everybody has that skill :lol: :rollin:

Jesus... :giggle:

Well having a big ass python snake around you will definitely convince people. :lol:

And it's funny if you mention that 'Toya don't have talent, somebody will bring up "oh well she was a snake charmer, THAT'S talent, beat that Michael!" :lol:

Now that's something, but it's true.

La Toya is driven I think, but like you said, she just made some really bad choices. She can't sing, but she's smart. If she hadn't gotten involved with the wrong people, she might have been a good business woman or something.

I don't even know why Jermaine is the family spokesperson. I guess because, like you said, he chose it, but he's not very articulate in interviews, so he's kind of a bad choice, lol.

Jermaine lets his emotions get the best of him in his interview. Then again I don't think the Jacksons are that social. All of them except Randy and Janet got that stigma that didn't leave them when they left Gary. Because when someone asks the seven eldest the tough questions, they can't help but say how they feel and sometimes it's misconstrued the wrong way.

That's true. I feel bad for them. But Jermaine just doesn't speak very well. He did have a stutter when he was a kid.

Jesus... :giggle:

Well having a big ass python snake around you will definitely convince people. :lol:

And it's funny if you mention that 'Toya don't have talent, somebody will bring up "oh well she was a snake charmer, THAT'S talent, beat that Michael!" :lol:

:rollin: :rollin: :rollin:

Why would the highlighted part needed saying. Any fool would know that. This contention only arose when people make the claim that the brothers were not talented. It is unfair to even compare then with Michael since nobody has ever been as successful as Michael. Unfortunately that is what we are doing. Individually, the Jacksons could mopst likely outsing any of the boyband out there today. They also wrote their own songs and play multiple instruments. That is talent enough for me. Yes, they could have made it without Michael and made it big too.

Nobody is comparing the brothers talents to Michael, stop saying and implying that. But Michael's brothers would never have been music legends without Michael, and that's pretty obvious.

Last edited:
Nobody is comparing the brothers talents to Michael, stop saying and implying that. But Michael's brothers would never had been music legends without Michael, and that's pretty obvious
Every music legends got help along the way. Elvis did, Frank did, Ray charles did, even the great Michael Jackson did. No man is an island.
The Jacksons did great. Why can't we just celebrate the broithers without singling them out and putting them down. Is that so hard to do? They all did their part. There are many great musicians now who were inspired by Jermaine and Tito playing their instrument on stage.at such an early age. They were an inspiring group. They set the world alight. That is enough for me. Let us celibrate.

Every music legends got help along the way. Elvis did, Frank did, Ray charles did, even the great Michael Jackson did. No man is an island.
The Jacksons did great. Why can't we just celebrate the broithers without singling them out and putting them down. Is that so hard to do? They all did their part. There are many great musicians now who were inspired by Jermaine and Tito playing their instrument on stage.at such an early age. They were an inspiring group. They set the world alight. That is enough for me. Let us celibrate.

I already said the Jackson 5 wouldn't be as great as it was without his brothers. Read my earlier posts !

Also Quincy Jones and ex CBS/Epic chairman Walter Yetnikov had more to do with help Michael being a record breakiing solo success than his brother who had nothing to do with his solo career. No one is claim Michael is an island, that's another sweeping statement.

Your wrongly accusing people of discrediting and putting Michael's brothers down. What is the exact point you are trying to make. Because you are creating a disagreement from nothing. Your the one who's not celebrating Michael's brothers, by making sweeping statements about their individual talents and success, that make Michael's brother success and talent seem less because you are over stating them.

I think Jermaine could never have had a huge solo career despite being an amazing vocalist, because it takes more then good looks and a great vocal ability to create huge success, and even more so to create a huge and loyal fan base. If Jermaine does have a fan base just for his music not connected to the Jackson 5 it will be a very small one. Most people who appreciate Jermaine's talents as an amazing vocalist (as I do) are fans of both Michael Jackson and the Jackson 5. I agree with Jermaine that the Jackson 5 is part of the legacy of Michael's incredible solo success since 1979 (though Michael made it without any family input), so from that perspective with me also view the Jackson 5/Jacksons as part of Michael Jackson I'm also a fan of Michael's brothers (with Jackie being my favorite Jackson after Michael). But that doesn't give reason to overstate the brother success and talents away from the Jackson 5/The Jacksons. I feel the success and talent Michael's brothers showed withing the group as backing singers, guitarists, base, keyboards, songwriters and dancers is exceptional, amazing. And to overstate that makes their talents seem less, because some talents function better within a group. And that happened to be a group with Michael Jackson, who was always the driving force of the group.That's not comparing Michael's brothers talents to his, it's a fact. Michael's parents said he should lead the group, and Jackie has said many times Michael had so much energy as an infant he had to lead the group, because they knew he was the person to give them success other wise they would have alternated lead singer of the group between Michael and Jermaine before they signed to Motown and when they auditioned for Motown.

Michael is a genius, and his brothers range from great to brilliant talents. I think that's a an amazing combination.

Actuallyy, I had finished making my peace with this subject a long time ago. I have nothing further to add. I am very happy for the brothers getting the recognition they Fully deserve. I couldn't care less whether they got help along the way or not,. They got there. They are ICONS and well deserved ones too. It is obvious that the audience loved and respected them. They are ambassadors for the art. Well done Jackson brothers.

I already said the Jackson 5 wouldn't be as great as it was without his brothers. Read my earlier posts !

Also Quincy Jones and ex CBS/Epic chairman Walter Yetnikov had more to do with help Michael being a record breakiing solo success than his brother who had nothing to do with his solo career. No one is claim Michael is an island, that's another sweeping statement.

Your wrongly accusing people of discrediting and putting Michael's brothers down. What is the exact point you are trying to make. Because you are creating a disagreement from nothing. Your the one who's not celebrating Michael's brothers, by making sweeping statements about their individual talents and success, that make Michael's brother success and talent seem less because you are over stating them.

I think Jermaine could never have had a huge solo career despite being an amazing vocalist, because it takes more then good looks and a great vocal ability to create huge success, and even more so to create a huge and loyal fan base. If Jermaine does have a fan base just for his music not connected to the Jackson 5 it will be a very small one. Most people who appreciate Jermaine's talents as an amazing vocalist (as I do) are fans of both Michael Jackson and the Jackson 5. I agree with Jermaine that the Jackson 5 is part of the legacy of Michael's incredible solo success since 1979 (though Michael made it without any family input), so from that perspective with me also view the Jackson 5/Jacksons as part of Michael Jackson I'm also a fan of Michael's brothers (with Jackie being my favorite Jackson after Michael). But that doesn't give reason to overstate the brother success and talents away from the Jackson 5/The Jacksons. I feel the success and talent Michael's brothers showed withing the group as backing singers, guitarists, base, keyboards, songwriters and dancers is exceptional, amazing. And to overstate that makes their talents seem less, because some talents function better within a group. And that happened to be a group with Michael Jackson, who was always the driving force of the group.That's not comparing Michael's brothers talents to his, it's a fact. Michael's parents said he should lead the group, and Jackie has said many times Michael had so much energy as an infant he had to lead the group, because they knew he was the person to give them success other wise they would have alternated lead singer of the group between Michael and Jermaine before they signed to Motown and when they auditioned for Motown.

Michael is a genius, and his brothers range from great to brilliant talents. I think that's a an amazing combination.

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Exactly! There was a whole lot of talent and skill in all the six brothers, but there was always somebody who had a little something extra, and everybody in the Jackson family would agree that what happened with Michael was going to happen. We can't wonder what if. It's too late for that. Just appreciate that people are digging Jermaine's music as mjj_brainiac said. Trying to speculate what would've happened if Jermaine had led is totally missing the point of what was trying to be explained. No one's saying the other brothers weren't good or great, it's just that compared to Michael, they weren't "all that" in terms of how "awe" is given to someone like Michael. Plus no one wanted to promote the other brothers solo-wise. Plus you have to understand Michael had GOOD PEOPLE behind him that prepared him for solo success, the other brothers didn't have that. That ain't putting them down, that's a fact.

I think Jermaine does good to be the spokesperson for the family. Yes, Jermaine does let his emotion get to him sometimes but what does anyone expect when you are correcting lies said about YOUR FAMILY. That is just common sense to see a brother acting like that for his family. If Jermaine talk without that emotion, that is when I would get nervous. As for talent, I think Jermaine is a great singer but he just did not get the world wide base audience like many other R & B artists. What set Michael aside from most is "CHARISMA" and all that talent roll up into one . If you look most of your larger than life celebs have that "light". As it was said, when Michael blow up, Michael had the charm, the charisma, that dance moves, the voice, the songs, the looks (boy was @#$ good looking), the vidoes, etc. That is what Made Michael MEGA.

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Exactly! There was a whole lot of talent and skill in all the six brothers, but there was always somebody who had a little something extra, and everybody in the Jackson family would agree that what happened with Michael was going to happen. We can't wonder what if. It's too late for that. Just appreciate that people are digging Jermaine's music as mjj_brainiac said. Trying to speculate what would've happened if Jermaine had led is totally missing the point of what was trying to be explained. No one's saying the other brothers weren't good or great, it's just that compared to Michael, they weren't "all that" in terms of how "awe" is given to someone like Michael. Plus no one wanted to promote the other brothers solo-wise. Plus you have to understand Michael had GOOD PEOPLE behind him that prepared him for solo success, the other brothers didn't have that. That ain't putting them down, that's a fact.
Thiss is why I do not compare them to Michael. It is pointless. Nobody is as big as Michael, so why subject the brothers to that comparison. Tito once said he is no Michael Jackson. Just let the brothers take a bow for what they have achieverd, TOGETHER as a group. This is not about their solo career., This is about a GROUP EFFORT which is what they were being awarded for. Each one of them played their part.
Tito was 15 when he played that guitar like a man, Jermaine was 14. They sang and danced too. How about comparing them to their own age group, how many could compare. Well done brothers.:D

Back