"Breaking News" All General Discussion Here [Merged]

What do You Think Now???

• Now im Sure Its Michael!!!

Votes: 89 21.4%
  • I Still Think its Not him!!!

Votes: 223 53.7%
  • I now think that its Michael, but still have my doubts!!

Votes: 24 5.8%
  • Im Confused!!!!

Votes: 79 19.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: "Breaking News" All Discussion Here [Merged]

"Gatica also collaborated on this project: " I delivered for songs that I worked for four weeks."

Enough said. He is not unbiased.

He worked on songs for the project, but not "Breaking News" and yet he is still confirming that it is MJ's voice on the song. How exactly is that a bias? :scratch:

If he had an agenda, he would be saying it was fake so that his songs would be picked.

"Gatica also collaborated on this project: " I delivered for songs that I worked for four weeks."

Enough said. He is not unbiased.

Correction
I delivered four songs that I worked for four weeks.

Sorry about that

He worked on songs for the project, but not "Breaking News" and yet he is still confirming that it is MJ's voice on the song. How exactly is that a bias? :scratch:

If he had an agenda, he would be saying it was fake so that his songs would be picked.

Not everybody acts that way man, And I think Gatica is telling the thruth

Not everybody acts that way man, And I think Gatica is telling the thruth

No, I agree with you. I was saying that it did not make sense for people to say that Gatica had a bias. He's a competing producer and believes that it is Michael on the track.

This is teddy rilley on twittwer

http://www.legendarymichaeljackson.nl/?p=2101
"This is for everyone that wanna point fingers…you asked me questions I gave my answer in what I can disclose. Here’s my quote and forever whoever don’t believe me, f*ck you!!!!
I was called on this project by the estate, Sony, and the family co signed it. These songs are created by the Cascios. I did not write the Songs, I was called in to mix and finish what I was given, Without compensation only cause of Michael. Only cause of Michael and the jackson family, who felt I should be on the project, cause of my relationship with Michael. All of the producer that worked on this project got paid before they worked. At the last minute of working on this project.
These issue about MJ vocals not being real came into par. The vocal yes I feel they are MJ vox…they are very processed.. The vocals I was given to me from the Cascios was all I had to work with. I can’t and no one can prove anything but MJ.
I’ve worked with MJ 4 times…we spent 1 yr 2, months together working on dangerous, 6 months on history, 2 months on Adam family. 6-8 months on invincible…all of these projects in the pass 20 yrs.
Michael is not hear to voice himself and let you know the truth. I asked the company to bring in everyone. Professionals, friends, family, and the people who worked with Michael many year and before me. Everyone said it is Michael except the family who says its not because there’s no proof.
All I’m gonna say here is that I believe its MJ. The truth of this of it all no one knows be MJ and god knows.
I have nothing more to say and I can’t prove anything…I did not original produce his vocals nor these songs. I remix, made the tracks different from what they had which would have been unacceptable. I’ve answered all that I can answer for MJ fan. The Cascios have a tweeter page…they have your answers.
If you don’t have anything pleasant to ask or talk about don’t hit me page. In fact, don’t follow me…I’ve been very nice… I apologize to MJ fan for not having the answers. Blessing to you all."

Teddy Rilley again on Twitter

I'm still here and I'm will never run from the truth. You will see a series of statements and the truth will be told.

I wanna thank everyone on here for the support and knowing I sincerely did this for my best friend and mentor.

Some people don't how to face the truth even if it hurts them. I'm from Harlem N.Y., I've faced the truth everyday of my life.

Michael taught me well...all I can do is be still. Haters minds will change, the loving people will love more.

Michael did so much for so many people, including family. He pulled away from them all, except the true ones. This is about to get ugly!!

They can say it's Michael a thousand times but we have to make them know that if those songs are on the album we will not be buying it, unless I wil do that.

No, I agree with you. I was saying that it did not make sense for people to say that Gatica had a bias. He's a competing producer and believes that it is Michael on the track.

Who is he employed by? Just asking. Anyway, I don't care. I believe what I hear and it's NOT MJ. Only partially him.

STOP! STOP! STOP! DO NOT TURN AGAINST EACH OTHER! WE ALL, WITHOUT EXCEPTION WANT THE TRUTH!

A) IF IT'S MICHAEL SINGING WE WANT AN OBJECTIVE PROOF

B) IF IT'S NOT MICHAEL SINGING WE WANT AN OBJECTIVE PROOF AS WELL

Now please read and listen what I have to say as an experienced fan! PLEASE IT IS WORTHY TO ANALYSE WHAT I HAVE TO SAY.

Please check all the links (Michael Jackson's songs) that I am going to provide!

UNDENIABLY NO MATTER THE ERA THERE IS ALWAYS A COMMON POINT BETWEEN EACH MICHAEL'S MORE OR LESS FASTER SONG! ----> A REGULAR CLAP/BEAT/DRUM/...:

TAC! (CLAP!)... music & singing... TAC! (CLAP!) ... music & singing... TAC! (CLAP!)

Try hard to listen to it (without even paying attention to the rest of the music and Michael's voice):

SPEED DEMON:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOWkBI8a23A

STREETWALKER:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5gWvYgmSrg&feature=related

ANOTHER PART OF ME:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwB7Fycp7vM&feature=related

SMOOTH CRIMINAL:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7cy-3f3sc8

THRILLER:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DngUU1MlLcQ

WORKING DAY AND NIGHT (more difficult to hear, but quite fast regular clapping, almost like a fast heartbeat)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qv05lkjTm78

PRETTY YOUNG THING
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqCuDnso22s

IN THE CLOSET
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUNHCuW0zqU

SHE DRIVES ME WILD
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlBZbog78p8&feature=related

WHY YOU WANNA TRIP ON ME
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qSfCjVk6Xc&feature=related

TABLOID JUNKIE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8kUYr2ZC6U

2000 WATTS
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmM4Vv_DNy0&feature=related

XSCAPE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbQGsOO_tGc

and practically every faster song on every album from all eras, etc, etc!

Each erea, each new sound has preserved his signature with regular almost heart beats either with drums, hand claps, percussions, keyboards, or other instruments, but they are there!

NOW, I DON'T KNOW YOU, BUT I DO NOT HEAR THOSE CLAPPING AND REGULAR BEATS ON "BREAKING NEWS"! This could be an indication that "BREAKING NEWS" is not Michael's work!

Those who still think thats MJ singing on Breaking News - how long have you been fans for?

I bet if you got all members on MJJC who a) have been fans for at least 20 years, b) own every album including the motown ones, and c) have seen him live, 99% would tell you there's an imposter doing the majority of lead vocals.

What im tryna say is that the longtime/diehard fans all know the truth, it's just a minority of younger/less devoted fans that are getting fooled. Ive been a fan over 20 years, i own everything from Big boy 45, Boogie LP to Bad mixes and Twelves, I have seen him live - and I know MJ when i hear him.

All fans in the same boat as me agree this is NOT MJ singing. Maybe its time to listen to those who are the best judges in this matter

^^I know what you mean Bumper Snippet, I'd probably describe this as MJ has a very skilled use of complex syncopation, i.e. he often uses his voice to accent off beats and doesn't always come right in on the downbeat (the 1, 2, 3, 4).

threeup_js('Entertainment', '781364', '1'); document.write('Your request is being processed...'); Your request is being processed...

huffpo_logo_lightbox_beta.png

loader.gif

Joe Vogel

Posted: November 10, 2010 01:28 AM

BIO Become a Fan
Get Email Alerts Bloggers' Index

blank.gif

function hide_user_promo_bubble_second_stage() { var bubble = $("user_promo_bubble"); bubble.style.display = "none"; } function hide_user_promo_bubble() { var bubble = $("user_promo_bubble"); var myAnim = new YAHOO.util.Anim(bubble, { opacity: { to: 0 } }, 1, YAHOO.util.Easing.easeOut); myAnim.animate(); setTimeout("hide_user_promo_bubble_second_stage()", 1100); } function handle_promo_username(params) { var bubble = $("user_promo_bubble"); var img = $("user_promo_bubble_image"); var anchor = $("user_promo_bubble_link"); if (params.has_photo == "true") { img.src = "http://images.huffingtonpost.com/profiles/" + params.user_id + "-tiny.png"; } else { img.style.display = "none"; Dom.addClass(anchor, "wide"); } anchor.innerHTML = "Shared by " + params.user_name; anchor.href = "http://www.huffingtonpost.com/social/" + params.user_name; bubble.style.display = "block"; var myAnim = new YAHOO.util.Anim(bubble, { opacity: { to: 1 } }, 2, YAHOO.util.Easing.easeOut); myAnim.animate(); } if (HuffPoUtil.getUrlVar("user_promo")) { YAHOO.util.Event.onDOMReady(function() { var parts = document.location.hash.split(","), shared_by = "", badge = "", i; if (parts.length < 2) return; for (i = 0; i < parts.length; i++) { if (parts.indexOf("sb=") !== -1) { shared_by = parts; } if (parts.indexOf("b=") !== -1) { badge = parts; } } if (shared_by == "" || badge == "") return; var bubble = $("user_promo_bubble"); if (!bubble) return; var entry_id = HuffPoUtil.GetEntryID(); if (!entry_id) return; var user_id = parseInt(shared_by.substr(shared_by.indexOf("sb=") + 3)); if (!user_id) return; var badge_type = badge.substr(badge.indexOf("b=") + 2); if (!badge_type) return; script = document.createElement("script"); script.setAttribute("type", "text/javascript"); bubble.appendChild(script); script.setAttribute("src", "/include/share_track.php?a=view&eid=" + entry_id + "&uid=" + user_id + "&b=" + badge_type + "&cb=handle_promo_username"); }); } Exclusive: The Inside Story Behind Michael Jackson's Controversial New Song and Album

2010-11-10-MICHAELCOVER.jpg

Since Michael Jackson's untimely death in June of 2009, speculation has run rampant about the music he left behind. How much is there? How finished are the songs? What is the quality of the material? And how and when will it be released?
Over the course of writing and researching my forthcoming book, Man in the Music: The Creative Life and Work of Michael Jackson (Sterling 2011), I was fortunate enough to take an in-depth look at Jackson's entire catalog--including the work he was engaged in during his final years. My sources worked closely with the King of Pop throughout his life and have been trustworthy and dependable throughout the five-year process of the book; therefore I feel confident with what I have learned about the material poised to appear on his forthcoming album, Michael.
A notorious perfectionist, Jackson always over-recorded. There are at least one hundred songs over the course of his solo career that did not make it onto his major albums. Some of those have already appeared on special editions and collections; others have leaked online in various forms; and many others have never been heard.
At midnight on November 8th, MichaelJackson.com streamed the first official song from the archives (excluding the early-Eighties demo, "This Is It," which was included as part of the companion album to the film of the same name). Even before its release, however, controversy surrounded "Breaking News" and the other so-called "Cascio tracks." The conversation has only intensified since then.
Predictably, little of that conversation has been about the content of the new track: the exceptionally ominous strings in the intro, its "Off the Wall"-esque chorus, or its signature Jackson indictment of a media that feeds on "breaking news" (read: scandals) with obsessive compulsion ("No matter what/ You just want to read it again"). Nor has much attention been given to the work of talented producer and longtime-Jackson friend, Teddy Riley, who gives the song a fresh but faithful sheen.
The irony, of course, is this is how Jackson's music has been received for decades, the substance overlooked in favor of sensationalism and distracting controversy. Yet part of it would no doubt bring a knowing smile to the man who once claimed he wanted to make his whole life "the greatest show on earth." Long before Lady Gaga, Michael Jackson was engaging artistically with both the monstrosity and allure of fame.
In "Breaking News," Jackson not only delivers his message, but anticipates the way it will be received. In one verse, he lashes out at those anxious to "write his obituary." In the chorus, he asks his listening audience, as he did throughout his career, who they project him to be: Is he the "boogieman" (a constructed monstrous figure) we're thinking of?
Certainly, by 2007 (the year in which "Breaking News" was recorded), he had learned how vicious and entrapping a lifetime in the spotlight could be. The previous two years he had been living as a vagabond, traveling from the Middle Eastern-island of Bahrain to the countryside of Ireland to a private chateau in Las Vegas. In the fall of 2007, he showed up with his children at the doorstep of his longtime friends, the Cascios, in Franklin Lakes, New Jersey. Jackson had been close to the Cascio family for nearly twenty years. During that time, they never once betrayed him for tabloid money (in spite of many offers), but showed him loyalty and allowed him a sense of normalcy he couldn't often enjoy. In the program at Jackson's funeral they are referred to as "the First Family of Love."
Jackson stayed with the Cascios for nearly four months and, along with Frank Cascio, Eddie (Angel) Cascio, and singer James Porte (aka Bobby Ewing), engaged in some of his most sustained recording since before his 2005 trial. Three songs created during these sessions are expected to appear on Jackson's new album, including "Breaking News," "Keep Your Head Up" and "Monster," all of which Jackson co-wrote. During his time in New Jersey, Jackson also recorded vocals for Thriller 25, which was released in 2008.
Beyond the Cascios, several people close to Jackson were familiar with his work in New Jersey. He mentioned to these people that he was "excited" about the work he and the Cascios had generated. According to Jackson's longtime friend and manager, Frank Dileo, Jackson planned to have recording equipment brought to London during his 02 concert series so he could finalize some of his latest music.
The first of the Cascio tracks to be heard--"Breaking News"--obviously isn't a perfect realization of Jackson's abilities. Receiving the most critical attention are Jackson's vocals, the veracity of which even some family and fans are questioning. There are understandable reasons for this. This certainly isn't a "typical" Jackson recording: there weren't extensive warm ups with longtime vocal coach Seth Riggs, no layering and polishing by Jackson himself, no Bruce Swedien and world-class studio technology to capture the original vocal. This was a guide demo, supplemented by the supporting vocals of James Porte (for which he is credited), and produced nearly four years later by Teddy Riley.
Riley, who first began working with Jackson in the early Nineties, found it emotionally difficult to complete the unfinished work of his late friend. To tap into his inspiration, Riley had photographer Harrington Funk surround him with pictures of the singer. "That was the only thing to keep me sane, and not go crazy while I'm working," said Riley. "Because, you know, it would come out on the music if you hear me banging on the keyboards with tears coming out of my eyes."
Riley said his fundamental motivation was to extend the legacy of a friend. He approached the tracks, therefore, not attempting to overly embellish, but simply to fill in the best he could. His guiding thought was: "What would Michael want?" He even brought sounds Jackson had him record from previous sessions. The final product, of course, is an approximation. But for Riley it was a labor of love.
It wasn't until Riley submitted his work, and three of the songs were accepted by Sony for the album, that the controversy began. Certain individuals--some with noble intentions, some less so--began expressing concerns about the authenticity of the vocals. These concerns were taken seriously by Jackson's Estate. Attorney Howard Weitzman was asked by estate co-executors John Branca and John McClain to conduct a thorough investigation of the authenticity of the Cascio tracks. The Estate, after all, had a lot to lose if the tracks were fraudulent. Since Jackson's death, by all accounts, it had done a masterful job of preserving and enhancing the artist's legacy, including the release of the highest-grossing concert documentary film of all time (This Is It), a new music video collection (Michael Jackson's Vision), a Jackson-themed video game (Michael Jackson: The Experience), a groundbreaking show with Cirque du Soliel ("Michael Jackson: The Immortal World Tour"), and the biggest recording contract in popular music history.
Perhaps just as important, the Estate had passed on numerous deals, selecting only a handful of projects it felt were worthy of Jackson's name. Risking the substantial credibility it had established amongst both fans and critics for a handful of questionable tracks would have been reckless at best (for Sony as well, who had invested over $200 million dollars on the singer's posthumous projects).
In spite of Jackson's close relationship with the Cascios, therefore, the Estate certainly didn't accept them on blind faith. The Estate invited four of Jackson's primary engineers over the past thirty years, three producers who had worked with Jackson (including Teddy Riley), and spoke to one of the musicians that had worked with Michael over the years and who had also contributed to one of the Cascio tracks. Each of them listened to the a cappella version of the vocals on the Cascio tracks without any musical accompaniment so that they could give an opinion as to whether or not the lead vocals on the Cascio tracks were sung by Jackson. To a person they all confirmed that the vocal was definitely Michael Jackson. These engineers, producers and musicians are all people Jackson trusted and whose names would be very familiar to Jackson's fans.
In addition, at the request of John Branca and John McClain, Howard Weitzman retained one of the best known forensic musicologists in the nation to listen to the a cappella vocals and compare them with a cappella vocals from previously known Jackson songs. This expert performed waveform analysis, an objective scientific procedure, and found that all of the vocals were the voice of Michael Jackson.
Sony Music conducted its own investigation by hiring a second well-respected forensic musicologist who also compared the raw vocals from the Cascio tracks against known vocals of Jackson's and found that it was Jackson's voice on both sets of the compared vocals.
The Cascio tracks were also played for two of the most significant people in the music industry who played crucial roles in Jackson's career. Both of these individuals believe that the vocals are those of Michael Jackson.
It was also specifically verified that the vocals did not belong to well-known Jackson impersonator, Jason Malachi.
The results of this exhaustive investigation confirmed Sony's belief that the songs submitted by the Estate all contained authentic Michael Jackson vocals. The decision was therefore made to include three of the Cascio tracks on Michael. Other tracks will likely be included on future albums of unreleased material.
While these are not perfectly realized tracks--as no posthumous material can be--there is certainly much to appreciate. The Cascio tracks represent, after all, some of the last work Jackson ever wrote and recorded. It wasn't ready to be released, but then, Jackson wasn't ready to die.
"Breaking News," "Monster," "Hold My Hand" and the rest of the tracks that comprise Michael are, similar to the This Is It documentary, fragments of an unfinished vision. They aren't all the polished, perfectionist-Michael Jackson people are accustomed to, but they are him, and what some of his closest friends and collaborators felt his fans deserved to hear.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/joe-vogel/exclusive-the-inside-stor_b_781364.html

This is not fair.we dont want mj's unfinished songs,he would have never approve of someone working on his track in his absence.besides,there are finished tracks in his vault frome the bad,dangerous and invincible era and am so looking forward to hearing them but these parasites wont release them.gosh..am so sick of people abusing his craft.

...and I thought today would be a bit better than yesterday. So much for that. Well looks like I'll be going to bed. I sure hope tomorrow will bring some good "breaking news" lol. You know, honestly, I feel like all of this is wearing me out. I just listend to the BN a few more times and I've decided I'm simply going to wait for confirmation. I'm not gonna convince myself that it IS or ISN'T Michael..but quite frankly it's easy to do either. Maybe Sony was right..maybe it really is a weird sounding MJ..OR maybe Sony is wrong..maybe this really is an impersonator. I guess we'll simply have to wait around and see. Until then, I think we should all just take it easy and not argue about it..because in the end..not a single person on this forum actually KNOWS how this track was created. And in the spirit of Michael Jackson..we shouldn't judge something before we know the truth. Good Night :)!

fxfan;3063457 said:
Guys are u serious?

Ok let´s trust our own ears instead of trusting in experts and close friends to Michael that worked with him and were always loyal to him.

Think about that

LOL

Look, I've been a devoted fan of Michael Jackson since 1983. I own everything Michael's ever publicly released here in the United States. I think I know Michael Jackson't voice just about as well as anybody. And I KNOW that 'Breaking News' is mostly NOT Michael Jackson...it's mostly being sung by a stand-in. Sounds a lot like Jason Malachi to be honest.

And LaToya (Michael's own sister in case you weren't aware) even said she doesn't think it's him. Now don't you think she of all people would be able to spot a fake?

You can believe it's him if you want to. I mean, I want to believe it's him just the same. But it's not him...period.

Also, I'm a professional DJ...I'm thinking about injecting Breaking News into some of my audio software to get digital comparisons of certain words and notes to compare with other Jason Malachi songs and recent Michael Jackson songs. That would certainly be interesting. Just need to find the time though.

NOW, I DON'T KNOW YOU, BUT I DO NOT HEAR THOSE CLAPPING AND REGULAR BEATS ON "BREAKING NEWS"! This could be an indication that "BREAKING NEWS" is not Michael's work!
We don't know how much material they got to make this song.
Therefore I wouldn't say it's not Michael because of some "claps" missing, lol.
;)

So we're still getting an album with fakes? F_ck you, Sony. Thanks for nothing.

So we're still getting an album with fakes? F_ck you, Sony. Thanks for nothing.

Do what i'll probably do. Just download the album minus the casico tracks. I'm still not convinced that it's Michael 100% on the song, but for now i will keep an open mind until more evidence for either way comes forward.

We don't know how much material they got to make this song.
Therefore I wouldn't say it's not Michael because of some "claps" missing, lol.
;)

I see what you mean, but we should take this seriously because claps are the first thing that is created before you inject a melody and singing between. It's the core of the rhythm.

Breaking News does have a beat, but simply not the same beat as Michael has shown us during all his career.

Re: Do You Think "Breaking News" + other Cascio songs will be left out of MICHAEL due to controversy

I dont see how they can afford to. They need sales, and considering the uproar in the fan base, they cant be thinking that we'll let this go. That we wont talk to the media, write blogs, tweet like crazy, make this public. Maybe they'll sell a few copies, but talk about bad publicity! Come on, it's Michael Jackson's new album (kinda)! They expect huge sales. And if there's any doubt about the songs, they can forget any future release.
Yeah, they'll have destroyed Michael's legacy, but we all know they dont care about that.

There's no way we will let them destroy Michael's legacy!!!

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/sonyultimatum/

Be prepared for SonyUltimatum.com

fxfan;3063540 said:
This is teddy rilley on twittwer

http://www.legendarymichaeljackson.nl/?p=2101
"This is for everyone that wanna point fingers…you asked me questions I gave my answer in what I can disclose. Here’s my quote and forever whoever don’t believe me, f*ck you!!!!
I was called on this project by the estate, Sony, and the family co signed it. These songs are created by the Cascios. I did not write the Songs, I was called in to mix and finish what I was given, Without compensation only cause of Michael. Only cause of Michael and the jackson family, who felt I should be on the project, cause of my relationship with Michael. All of the producer that worked on this project got paid before they worked. At the last minute of working on this project.
These issue about MJ vocals not being real came into par. The vocal yes I feel they are MJ vox…they are very processed.. The vocals I was given to me from the Cascios was all I had to work with. I can’t and no one can prove anything but MJ.
I’ve worked with MJ 4 times…we spent 1 yr 2, months together working on dangerous, 6 months on history, 2 months on Adam family. 6-8 months on invincible…all of these projects in the pass 20 yrs.
Michael is not hear to voice himself and let you know the truth. I asked the company to bring in everyone. Professionals, friends, family, and the people who worked with Michael many year and before me. Everyone said it is Michael except the family who says its not because there’s no proof.
All I’m gonna say here is that I believe its MJ. The truth of this of it all no one knows be MJ and god knows.
I have nothing more to say and I can’t prove anything…I did not original produce his vocals nor these songs. I remix, made the tracks different from what they had which would have been unacceptable. I’ve answered all that I can answer for MJ fan. The Cascios have a tweeter page…they have your answers.
If you don’t have anything pleasant to ask or talk about don’t hit me page. In fact, don’t follow me…I’ve been very nice… I apologize to MJ fan for not having the answers. Blessing to you all."

He's got awful grammar/spelling. At first, I was doubtful that this was him, TBH. The wording of some sentences would suggest that whoever wrote this does not speak English as a first language. In any case, if it is him, then jeez.

He has yet to give us any proof to suggest that the person singing on that song is Michael Jackson. It largely seems like he's avoiding giving a straight answer to the question--never a good sign. I don't know how much to trust this guy, TBH. Maybe I'm just being paranoid.

I don't like the games some people play, and I am not amused by the confusion and chaos this new "song" has caused. The more I listen to it, the more dissuaded I become.

I see what you mean, but we should take this seriously because claps are the first thing that is created before you inject a melody and singing between. It's the core of the rhythm.

Breaking News does have a beat, but simply not the same beat as Michael has shown us during all his career.

well, you're right in some way, but the song is so heavily edited... they could do anything to the original recording. if only it ever existed :doh:

"Exclusive: The Inside Story Behind Michael Jackson's Controversial New Song and Album"

by Joe Vogel

Since Michael Jackson's untimely death in June of 2009, speculation has run rampant about the music he left behind. How much is there? How finished are the songs? What is the quality of the material? And how and when will it be released?

Over the course of writing and researching my forthcoming book, Man in the Music: The Creative Life and Work of Michael Jackson (Sterling 2011), I was fortunate enough to take an in-depth look at Jackson's entire catalog--including the work he was engaged in during his final years. My sources worked closely with the King of Pop throughout his life and have been trustworthy and dependable throughout the five-year process of the book; therefore I feel confident with what I have learned about the material poised to appear on his forthcoming album, Michael.

A notorious perfectionist, Jackson always over-recorded. There are at least one hundred songs over the course of his solo career that did not make it onto his major albums. Some of those have already appeared on special editions and collections; others have leaked online in various forms; and many others have never been heard.

At midnight on November 8th, MichaelJackson.com streamed the first official song from the archives (excluding the early-Eighties demo, "This Is It," which was included as part of the companion album to the film of the same name). Even before its release, however, controversy surrounded "Breaking News" and the other so-called "Cascio tracks." The conversation has only intensified since then.

Predictably, little of that conversation has been about the content of the new track: the exceptionally ominous strings in the intro, its "Off the Wall"-esque chorus, or its signature Jackson indictment of a media that feeds on "breaking news" (read: scandals) with obsessive compulsion ("No matter what/ You just want to read it again"). Nor has much attention been given to the work of talented producer and longtime-Jackson friend, Teddy Riley, who gives the song a fresh but faithful sheen.

The irony, of course, is this is how Jackson's music has been received for decades, the substance overlooked in favor of sensationalism and distracting controversy. Yet part of it would no doubt bring a knowing smile to the man who once claimed he wanted to make his whole life "the greatest show on earth." Long before Lady Gaga, Michael Jackson was engaging artistically with both the monstrosity and allure of fame.

In "Breaking News," Jackson not only delivers his message, but anticipates the way it will be received. In one verse, he lashes out at those anxious to "write his obituary." In the chorus, he asks his listening audience, as he did throughout his career, who they project him to be: Is he the "boogieman" (a constructed monstrous figure) we're thinking of?

Certainly, by 2007 (the year in which "Breaking News" was recorded), he had learned how vicious and entrapping a lifetime in the spotlight could be. The previous two years he had been living as a vagabond, traveling from the Middle Eastern-island of Bahrain to the countryside of Ireland to a private chateau in Las Vegas. In the fall of 2007, he showed up with his children at the doorstep of his longtime friends, the Cascios, in Franklin Lakes, New Jersey. Jackson had been close to the Cascio family for nearly twenty years. During that time, they never once betrayed him for tabloid money (in spite of many offers), but showed him loyalty and allowed him a sense of normalcy he couldn't often enjoy. In the program at Jackson's funeral they are referred to as "the First Family of Love."

Jackson stayed with the Cascios for nearly four months and, along with Frank Cascio, Eddie (Angel) Cascio, and singer James Porte (aka Bobby Ewing), engaged in some of his most sustained recording since before his 2005 trial. Three songs created during these sessions are expected to appear on Jackson's new album, including "Breaking News," "Keep Your Head Up" and "Monster," all of which Jackson co-wrote. During his time in New Jersey, Jackson also recorded vocals for Thriller 25, which was released in 2008.

Beyond the Cascios, several people close to Jackson were familiar with his work in New Jersey. He mentioned to these people that he was "excited" about the work he and the Cascios had generated. According to Jackson's longtime friend and manager, Frank Dileo, Jackson planned to have recording equipment brought to London during his 02 concert series so he could finalize some of his latest music.

The first of the Cascio tracks to be heard--"Breaking News"--obviously isn't a perfect realization of Jackson's abilities. Receiving the most critical attention are Jackson's vocals, the veracity of which even some family and fans are questioning. There are understandable reasons for this. This certainly isn't a "typical" Jackson recording: there weren't extensive warm ups with longtime vocal coach Seth Riggs, no layering and polishing by Jackson himself, no Bruce Swedien and world-class studio technology to capture the original vocal. This was a guide demo, supplemented by the supporting vocals of James Porte (for which he is credited), and produced nearly four years later by Teddy Riley.

Riley, who first began working with Jackson in the early Nineties, found it emotionally difficult to complete the unfinished work of his late friend. To tap into his inspiration, Riley had photographer Harrington Funk surround him with pictures of the singer. "That was the only thing to keep me sane, and not go crazy while I'm working," said Riley. "Because, you know, it would come out on the music if you hear me banging on the keyboards with tears coming out of my eyes."

Riley said his fundamental motivation was to extend the legacy of a friend. He approached the tracks, therefore, not attempting to overly embellish, but simply to fill in the best he could. His guiding thought was: "What would Michael want?" He even brought sounds Jackson had him record from previous sessions. The final product, of course, is an approximation. But for Riley it was a labor of love.

It wasn't until Riley submitted his work, and three of the songs were accepted by Sony for the album, that the controversy began. Certain individuals--some with noble intentions, some less so--began expressing concerns about the authenticity of the vocals. These concerns were taken seriously by Jackson's Estate. Attorney Howard Weitzman was asked by estate co-executors John Branca and John McClain to conduct a thorough investigation of the authenticity of the Cascio tracks. The Estate, after all, had a lot to lose if the tracks were fraudulent. Since Jackson's death, by all accounts, it had done a masterful job of preserving and enhancing the artist's legacy, including the release of the highest-grossing concert documentary film of all time (This Is It), a new music video collection (Michael Jackson's Vision), a Jackson-themed video game (Michael Jackson: The Experience), a groundbreaking show with Cirque du Soliel ("Michael Jackson: The Immortal World Tour"), and the biggest recording contract in popular music history.

Perhaps just as important, the Estate had passed on numerous deals, selecting only a handful of projects it felt were worthy of Jackson's name. Risking the substantial credibility it had established amongst both fans and critics for a handful of questionable tracks would have been reckless at best (for Sony as well, who had invested over $200 million dollars on the singer's posthumous projects).

In spite of Jackson's close relationship with the Cascios, therefore, the Estate certainly didn't accept them on blind faith. The Estate invited four of Jackson's primary engineers over the past thirty years, three producers who had worked with Jackson (including Teddy Riley), and spoke to one of the musicians that had worked with Michael over the years and who had also contributed to one of the Cascio tracks. Each of them listened to the a cappella version of the vocals on the Cascio tracks without any musical accompaniment so that they could give an opinion as to whether or not the lead vocals on the Cascio tracks were sung by Jackson. To a person they all confirmed that the vocal was definitely Michael Jackson. These engineers, producers and musicians are all people Jackson trusted and whose names would be very familiar to Jackson's fans.

In addition, at the request of John Branca and John McClain, Howard Weitzman retained one of the best known forensic musicologists in the nation to listen to the a cappella vocals and compare them with a cappella vocals from previously known Jackson songs. This expert performed waveform analysis, an objective scientific procedure, and found that all of the vocals were the voice of Michael Jackson.

Sony Music conducted its own investigation by hiring a second well-respected forensic musicologist who also compared the raw vocals from the Cascio tracks against known vocals of Jackson's and found that it was Jackson's voice on both sets of the compared vocals.
The Cascio tracks were also played for two of the most significant people in the music industry who played crucial roles in Jackson's career. Both of these individuals believe that the vocals are those of Michael Jackson.

It was also specifically verified that the vocals did not belong to well-known Jackson impersonator, Jason Malachi.

The results of this exhaustive investigation confirmed Sony's belief that the songs submitted by the Estate all contained authentic Michael Jackson vocals. The decision was therefore made to include three of the Cascio tracks on Michael. Other tracks will likely be included on future albums of unreleased material.

While these are not perfectly realized tracks--as no posthumous material can be--there is certainly much to appreciate. The Cascio tracks represent, after all, some of the last work Jackson ever wrote and recorded. It wasn't ready to be released, but then, Jackson wasn't ready to die.

"Breaking News," "Monster," "Hold My Hand" and the rest of the tracks that comprise Michael are, similar to the This Is It documentary, fragments of an unfinished vision. They aren't all the polished, perfectionist-Michael Jackson people are accustomed to, but they are him, and what some of his closest friends and collaborators felt his fans deserved to hear.

I was planning on buying it the day of it's release, but after hearing Breaking News and the other ones that use an impersonator, I won't be doing that unless they remove those songs. I'm not going to support an album that's a slap in the face to Michael.

I guarantee you, Michael would be PIIIIIISSED if he knew what was going on right now with Sony trying to capitalize by using a fake in his place.

Something fishy's going on for damn sure...and money's been passed around behind closed doors.

Regardless of what exactly has happened (and it's something), the bottom line is that Michael's legacy is being soiled by the use of a fake. I urge you, fans...please don't go out and buy this album. Find other ways to listen to the real MJ songs. But don't go paying Sony for imposter's songs.

Last edited:
I posted this in the Album thread too, but in case you didn't see it--

Post from: http://kingofpop.info/news/2010/11/08/shedding-some-light-on-breaking-news/

To protect those who explained everything to me, I will be using fictitious names to protect them. I have known them for many many years. Charlie as we&#8217;ll call him works for Sony and has an extensive background in audio engineering, producing, and music management. Once I heard the track and all the drama that has followed he was the first person I reached out to for some answers. As we know, the family only sends cryptic notes and with everyone posting on twitter from Teddy Riley, to Frank Cascio on facebook, what are we, the fans, left to believe? If anything there are far more questions now than answers.

&#8220;The fact is, at this point no one knows what tracks are what.&#8221;Charlie tells me. &#8220;The tracks that are listed for the upcoming album everyone besides those closely working on the project, are confused as to what is what. Some may have been recorded in 2007 or 2008 but damn it&#8217;s a mess.&#8221; Sitting in an office today w/ a high level Sony executive (again I will leave out who exactly it was), the man is laughing within the first 3 lines of &#8220;Breaking News&#8221; Charlie sits back and says, &#8220;wow, really?&#8221; &#8220;Of course hardly any of this is Michael&#8221; he tells Charlie, &#8220;but the good news is from I have heard so far, it shouldn&#8217;t get any worse than this.&#8221; &#8220;Damn&#8221; Charlie says. &#8220;The bridge & background vocals are him in parts but the Cascio guys chose to do it this way.&#8221; He continues.&#8221;It&#8217;s good publicity right now.&#8221;

Charlie explains to me, we listened to it numerous times in the studio, and you could tell from the breathing patterns to the push behind the vocals, its all different, nothing like Michael. Problem is, is that when recording vocals there is no type of pitch control when you go high. They can&#8217;t pitch up in other words to fix whoever they had sing it. Michael did not care for this track, he never recorded lead vocals only bits and pieces of a demo. When you record a demo its not stacked. They stacked the finish, Michael would be furious if he were alive, he never did stacking this way, it&#8217;s not his production style. When he stacked a track he did it all with vocals, as you can hear on the Dangerous album. It&#8217;s not like the old days when they recorded in analogue. When you first record a track you&#8217;ll record a demo, then once its chosen you go back and record everything twice pretty much, one is higher and one is lower, basically for the sound in the left ear and the right. Demos are recorded in mono, not as rich and thick like a finished track, what it sounds like is that they placed Michael&#8217;s voice dead center, and had whoever they brought in, possibly this guy Jason, to record the stacking and placed his on the right and left. If you listen hard Michael&#8217;s there but its far too saturated. It&#8217;s over done, its simply not his style. However, you have to remember that whatever you&#8217;re going to hear from now on will never be a finished polished product the way Michael would have wanted because of the simple fact that none of it was fully finished. So they are left to decide what to do with them because they don&#8217;t want to put demos out. What Michael wanted to do and what the world wants are two different things. I think they wanted to duplicate and make the kind of money they did with This Is It last year, so they release the album just before the holidays and hope that they go platinum with this LP. I honestly think though that this single is going to hurt album sales. They are trying too hard to get something catchy, Invincible style but the fact is that Invincible was short lived. They&#8217;re attempting to go overly poppy with this LP and its not going to work.

The thing is, Cascio&#8217;s music ideas don&#8217;t work, he&#8217;s a very intelligent guy, don&#8217;t get me wrong. The family is in the restaurant business but Cascio was pretty much in the right place and the right time for Michael to take an interest in him becoming his personal manager. Now Mr. Cascio wants to cash in and finish the record. He was shopping for post production and engineering volunteers to finish the tracks (hence Teddy Riley confirming today on Twitter that he was not compensated for his post production on the track). I wouldn&#8217;t be surprised if his dad is in charge of the whole thing. Those vocals that Michael recorded were done in the Cascio&#8217;s dad&#8217;s studio. Michael&#8217;s there but Cascio wanted to push himself, he always pretends he&#8217;s got the contacts, but never went anywhere in music. Sure you may have contacts but it doesn&#8217;t mean they want to work with you. Towards the last 3 years of his life Michael was trying to produce more for other people. He was trying to get the Black Eyed Peas to let him produce for them. Do you remember those rumours about that rapper guy (cardanal?!?), what I believe is that they could have had this song written for a rapper, but what makes no sense to me is why have a knock off singer, a rapper would have made a little more sense since Michael never recorded the versus.

Jason on the other hand, well he was doing his regular singing when he started doing his knock off singing like MJ. Ever since then he&#8217;s blown up even though the music is trash, but I just wonder now if they paid him out. If not, he&#8217;ll probably get publishing credits and royalties from the album and if so, everyone and anyone involved in publishing will find out. That&#8217;s pretty funny and he&#8217;ll be sitting there collecting checks. At the end of the day, I hope they deliver the rest of it in an upright way because honestly what they have now, Michael would be furious! &#8220;Breaking News&#8221; is horrible.

Source: An Insider

"Exclusive: The Inside Story Behind Michael Jackson's Controversial New Song and Album"

by Joe Vogel

Great article!

jemini515;3063596 said:
I posted this in the Album thread too, but in case you didn't see it--

Post from: http://kingofpop.info/news/2010/11/08/shedding-some-light-on-breaking-news/

To protect those who explained everything to me, I will be using fictitious names to protect them. I have known them for many many years. Charlie as we’ll call him works for Sony and has an extensive background in audio engineering, producing, and music management. Once I heard the track and all the drama that has followed he was the first person I reached out to for some answers. As we know, the family only sends cryptic notes and with everyone posting on twitter from Teddy Riley, to Frank Cascio on facebook, what are we, the fans, left to believe? If anything there are far more questions now than answers.

“The fact is, at this point no one knows what tracks are what.”Charlie tells me. “The tracks that are listed for the upcoming album everyone besides those closely working on the project, are confused as to what is what. Some may have been recorded in 2007 or 2008 but damn it’s a mess.” Sitting in an office today w/ a high level Sony executive (again I will leave out who exactly it was), the man is laughing within the first 3 lines of “Breaking News” Charlie sits back and says, “wow, really?” “Of course hardly any of this is Michael” he tells Charlie, “but the good news is from I have heard so far, it shouldn’t get any worse than this.” “Damn” Charlie says. “The bridge & background vocals are him in parts but the Cascio guys chose to do it this way.” He continues.”It’s good publicity right now.”

Charlie explains to me, we listened to it numerous times in the studio, and you could tell from the breathing patterns to the push behind the vocals, its all different, nothing like Michael. Problem is, is that when recording vocals there is no type of pitch control when you go high. They can’t pitch up in other words to fix whoever they had sing it. Michael did not care for this track, he never recorded lead vocals only bits and pieces of a demo. When you record a demo its not stacked. They stacked the finish, Michael would be furious if he were alive, he never did stacking this way, it’s not his production style. When he stacked a track he did it all with vocals, as you can hear on the Dangerous album. It’s not like the old days when they recorded in analogue. When you first record a track you’ll record a demo, then once its chosen you go back and record everything twice pretty much, one is higher and one is lower, basically for the sound in the left ear and the right. Demos are recorded in mono, not as rich and thick like a finished track, what it sounds like is that they placed Michael’s voice dead center, and had whoever they brought in, possibly this guy Jason, to record the stacking and placed his on the right and left. If you listen hard Michael’s there but its far too saturated. It’s over done, its simply not his style. However, you have to remember that whatever you’re going to hear from now on will never be a finished polished product the way Michael would have wanted because of the simple fact that none of it was fully finished. So they are left to decide what to do with them because they don’t want to put demos out. What Michael wanted to do and what the world wants are two different things. I think they wanted to duplicate and make the kind of money they did with This Is It last year, so they release the album just before the holidays and hope that they go platinum with this LP. I honestly think though that this single is going to hurt album sales. They are trying too hard to get something catchy, Invincible style but the fact is that Invincible was short lived. They’re attempting to go overly poppy with this LP and its not going to work.

The thing is, Cascio’s music ideas don’t work, he’s a very intelligent guy, don’t get me wrong. The family is in the restaurant business but Cascio was pretty much in the right place and the right time for Michael to take an interest in him becoming his personal manager. Now Mr. Cascio wants to cash in and finish the record. He was shopping for post production and engineering volunteers to finish the tracks (hence Teddy Riley confirming today on Twitter that he was not compensated for his post production on the track). I wouldn’t be surprised if his dad is in charge of the whole thing. Those vocals that Michael recorded were done in the Cascio’s dad’s studio. Michael’s there but Cascio wanted to push himself, he always pretends he’s got the contacts, but never went anywhere in music. Sure you may have contacts but it doesn’t mean they want to work with you. Towards the last 3 years of his life Michael was trying to produce more for other people. He was trying to get the Black Eyed Peas to let him produce for them. Do you remember those rumours about that rapper guy (cardanal?!?), what I believe is that they could have had this song written for a rapper, but what makes no sense to me is why have a knock off singer, a rapper would have made a little more sense since Michael never recorded the versus.

Jason on the other hand, well he was doing his regular singing when he started doing his knock off singing like MJ. Ever since then he’s blown up even though the music is trash, but I just wonder now if they paid him out. If not, he’ll probably get publishing credits and royalties from the album and if so, everyone and anyone involved in publishing will find out. That’s pretty funny and he’ll be sitting there collecting checks. At the end of the day, I hope they deliver the rest of it in an upright way because honestly what they have now, Michael would be furious! “Breaking News” is horrible.

Source: An Insider

Thanks for posting this. Of course when it comes to anonymous "insiders", I'm one to be skeptical, but this makes so much sense right here.

to be honest I think this is getting way silly, I do think it is mj on breaking news and def on the other tracks.. on breakingnews he's using a different kinda voice, Im pretty sure its him, though there maybe alot of processing.. next your be saying its that David Basset guy impersonating him!! but hey I respect your opinions no matter what.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back