Dame Elizabeth Taylor passes away at 79 / Elizabeth Taylor Laid to Rest at Forest Lawn

Re: Dame Elizabeth Taylor passes away at 79

I cried yesterday when I saw the news (on msn webpage...)
But, weirdly, I felt a relief.. and I just understood why.

I'm happy that she doesn,t have to suffer the loss of Michael anymore, she does not suffer anymore. I'm happy for her, cause the last months must have been hell and so sad without her Michael.

I'm happy they got to know each other, I'm happy to know they were always true to each other, and there for each other.
I'm just so happy Michael had her.

And I'm happy she'll also be in Forest Lawn.. living next to each other again.

This is sad, but I feel relief for her.

ELIZABETH I LOVE YOU

Re: Dame Elizabeth Taylor passes away at 79

I cried yesterday when I saw the news (on msn webpage...)
But, weirdly, I felt a relief.. and I just understood why.

I'm happy that she doesn,t have to suffer the loss of Michael anymore, she does not suffer anymore. I'm happy for her, cause the last months must have been hell and so sad without her Michael.

I'm happy they got to know each other, I'm happy to know they were always true to each other, and there for each other.
I'm just so happy Michael had her.

And I'm happy she'll also be in Forest Lawn.. living next to each other again.

This is sad, but I feel relief for her.

ELIZABETH I LOVE YOU
that is beautiful..:hug:

Gay Bar Mourns Elizabeth Taylor

By BROOKS BARNES

WEST HOLLYWOOD, Calif. — Last Halloween, David Cooley, the founder of the Abbey, a sprawling gay bar here, got a phone call. Elizabeth Taylor was on the line, and she wanted to know if it was a good night to swing by.

“I told her not to come,” he said. “It was too busy. And there were already a half dozen Elizabeth Taylors here anyway.”

A gay bar, even a fancy one with chandeliers and a roaring fireplace like the Abbey, seems an unlikely haunt for a megastar. But the actress, who died on Wednesday at 79, was a once-a-week regular in recent years — sipping tequila shots, downing watermelon and apple martinis or simply waving merrily from her wheelchair.

Sometimes she brought her dog, Daisy, who, some bar-goers insist, liked to nod her head along to the bar’s throbbing Madonna soundtrack.

The scene in the “Elizabeth Taylor Room” — her favorite spot amid the Abbey’s many nooks and crannies — was decidedly somber just after news of her death on Wednesday. Regulars, fans and Abbey employees started leaving flowers, candles, pictures and other tokens of affection (an autographed napkin) around a donation Ms. Taylor once made to the bar: a large portrait of herself in her prime.

Sitting untouched on an empty table nearby was a remembrance from the bar staff, a Blue Velvet martini, a bluish drink made with vodka and blueberry schnapps and named in a nod to Ms. Taylor’s 1944 film “National Velvet.”

“People have been walking up and starting to cry,” said Brian Rosman, an Abbey spokesman and a patron. “Others can’t talk, they get so emotional.”

Mr. Cooley said it should not be a surprise that people in this proudly rainbow-flag-flying town are responding to her death with such feeling. There have been other gay touchstones — Judy Garland, Bette Davis, Cher, Debbie Reynolds, Madonna — but Ms. Taylor perhaps eclipsed all of them, at least for a certain generation, with her outspoken efforts to raise the profile of AIDS at a time when people still referred to it as “the gay disease.”

“Taylor’s relationship with gay men provided a new model of gay icon,” Paul Flynn, an editor at the British gay magazine Attitude, wrote in The Guardian on Thursday. “No longer was it enough to be a woman with whom gay men retained a bass-note of empathy, the kind of strung-out glamour/tragedy axis Judy Garland immortalized.”

Ms. Taylor started raising money for AIDS research and victims after her friend Rock Hudson died of the disease in 1985. Over the next 25 years, she would become synonymous with the fight against AIDS, ultimately helping to raise more than $100 million for the cause.

“For her to testify before Congress as early as she did was really remarkable,” said John Scott, the former executive director of the Elton John AIDS Foundation.

Indeed, Ms. Taylor also became a heroine for many gay people for criticizing a slow response to AIDS from politicians. “I’m not even sure if he knows how to spell AIDS,” she said of President George Bush in 1991.

“She helped make talking about being gay O.K.,” said Mark Conaghan, a tourist from Fort Lauderdale, Fla., who had his picture taken next to the Abbey’s shrine on Wednesday night. “She let it be known, God forbid, that she even had gay friends herself.”

The Abbey, which opened in 1991 and has grown to 16,000 square feet, has become a tourist attraction because of Ms. Taylor’s patronage, which started about four or five years ago, according to Mr. Cooley. Sightseeing buses regularly drive by, with guides pointing out the door through which Ms. Taylor, usually wearing gaudy rhinestone sunglasses, would enter and leave.

One such exit can be seen in a video posted to TMZ.com in June of last year. Ms. Taylor — wearing knee-high boots, a pink blouse and a white golf hat — was wheeled to her car as people shouted greetings.

“Aside from my back, fine,” she responds when asked about her health. An Abbey employee follows behind carrying Daisy.

She was not the only star of her era to frequent West Hollywood’s cluster of gay bars. Legend has it that Loretta Lynn once judged a drag contest of men dressed in her likeness. But no other celebrity of Ms. Taylor’s wattage became such a presence, said John Heilman, a member of the West Hollywood City Council. “I used to run into her all the time at clubs on the strip,” he said.

Still, the Abbey was her hangout. Mr. Cooley said she told him on one of her visits that it was her favorite pub. He had the sentiment printed on a plaque and placed near her donated portrait, which captures her diva qualities: arms extended, wearing an extravagant, shimmering gown recalling her wardrobe in “Cleopatra.”

But the bar finds itself continually replacing the plaque.

“People steal it,” Mr. Cooley said. “We’ve screwed it on. We’ve glued it on. Nothing works. I think it’s a symbol to people — that she loved us as much as we loved her.”
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/25/us/25abbey.html?_r=1&smid=tw-nytimes&seid=auto

Moonwalker.Fan;3311234 said:
<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/eHDD6Ya-O7E&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" height="390" width="640"></object>

:girl_sigh:

Sooooooooooooooooooo beautiful! :wub:

Re: Elizabeth Taylor Laid to Rest at Forest Lawn

I am glad Liz laid to rest at Forest Lawn with Michael, they can be together forever now. I remembered I had read the report in 09 after Michael buried in Forest lawn, that Liz also planned to buy a place there because she wanted to be close to Michael.

Re: Elizabeth Taylor Laid to Rest at Forest Lawn

This all seems so surreal, so close, even in the afterlife.

I know both are somewhere happy. :angel: But boy, are these voids in life getting bigger.

:(

Elizabeth Taylor's Funeral Delayed 15 Minutes at Her Request

She was a Hollywood original to the end.

Elizabeth Taylor was laid to rest Thursday at Forest Lawn Memorial Park in Glendale, Calif., in a small, private funeral attended by friends and family that began 15 minutes after schedule &#8211; under instructions she left.

"She even wanted to be late for her own funeral," a family rep said in a statement.

Taylor's casket was closed and draped with gardenias, violets, and lily of the valley. She was interred in The Great Mausoleum, the same resting place for her longtime friend Michael Jackson.

The one-hour, multi-denominational service officated by Rabbi Jerry Cutler included a reading by actor Colin Farrell, a friend of Taylor's, of Gerard Manley Hopkins&#8217;s poem "The Leaden Echo and the Golden Echo."

Taylor's son Michael Wilding, her daughter Liza Burton Tivey and her grandson Tarquin Wilding also read selections, and her grandson Rhys Tivey performed a trumpet solo of "Amazing Grace."

http://www.people.com/people/package/article/0,,20261725_20476376,00.html

ivy;3311360 said:

Elizabeth Taylor was laid to rest Thursday at Forest Lawn Memorial Park in Glendale, Calif., in a small, private funeral attended by friends and family that began 15 minutes after schedule – under instructions she left.

"She even wanted to be late for her own funeral," a family rep said in a statement.

Taylor's casket was closed and draped with gardenias, violets, and lily of the valley. She was interred in The Great Mausoleum, the same resting place for her longtime friend Michael Jackson.

The one-hour, multi-denominational service officated by Rabbi Jerry Cutler included a reading by actor Colin Farrell, a friend of Taylor's, of Gerard Manley Hopkins’s poem "The Leaden Echo and the Golden Echo."

Taylor's son Michael Wilding, her daughter Liza Burton Tivey and her grandson Tarquin Wilding also read selections, and her grandson Rhys Tivey performed a trumpet solo of "Amazing Grace."

http://www.people.com/people/package/article/0,,20261725_20476376,00.html

:cry:

i just wanted to send out a big'THANK YOU' to GAZ and the rest of the staff for their endearing podcast about Dame Elizabeth it helped get me thru a hard time. again thanks so much.:(

ivy;3311360 said:

Elizabeth Taylor was laid to rest Thursday at Forest Lawn Memorial Park in Glendale, Calif., in a small, private funeral attended by friends and family that began 15 minutes after schedule – under instructions she left.

:lol: She's great! :lol:

damn, I am crying again... Michael was blessed to have her in his life. I will be thankful to her for everything she did for him till the day I die.

I saw an interview with Elizabeth Taylor where she said she hated being called Liz and when she was asked what she would put on her headstone, she said "Here lies Elizabeth Taylor. She lived!" And so she did.

Farewell, Elizabeth. Say hello to Mike for me.

R.I.P. Elizabeth Taylor, you were a true hollywood legend and a genuine good person...I hope you and MJ are having a blast up there : )

I just read that she'll be resting at Forest Lawn and actually in The Great Mausoleum. Is this confirmed?
Because I find it somehow comforting that she's close to Michael.

First I thought that she'd be buried the same place as her parents.

I just read that she'll be resting at Forest Lawn and actually in The Great Mausoleum. Is this confirmed?
Because I find it somehow comforting that she's close to Michael.

First I thought that she'd be buried the same place as her parents.

yes, she is in the Great Mausoleum.

I'm crying again. So they are together again... And today is 25th... It's all so painfully sad, now even more, cause it's kinda like huge part of him is gone with her :( And thinking abt MJ3, who lost another so important person in their life. Death is so ultimate, so final... so cruel for those who stays here, on Earth :cry:
May God bless you, Elizabeth. And take care of our Michael up there :(

I don't know why I've checked some comments (on behalf of Yahoo members) on the news that Elizabeth was laid to rest at Forest Lawn beside Michael... I really don't... There were nothing but positive remarks made about her person and personality (thankfully)... but Michael was/is being trashed and called injurious names even now.. and that they expected Elizabeth to not have requested that she is placed beside him. .. It completely crushed me. Like, not even now, when yet another great person passed away (thankfully peacefully, by all accounts..), can many abstain from being hateful and horrible. ...

...... ):

It's funny how I never knew that much about Elizabeth until I became an MJ fan and then of course respected her, too, for being such a good friend to him. But I never paid too much attention to her (maybe I should've).
And yet I'm still having hard time believing she's really gone now, too :(

That new banner is beautiful anyway..

Last edited:
I learned about the news when my dad saw this in the news. I am not a fan but i like Liz for being there for Michael.. My dad is not a fan but an admirer of her beauty was totally in shock when he learned about the news..

;(

So they prove that they don't respect her either. They don't think she was intelligent enough to know who was worth her time & who wasn't. Isn't it funny how people like that don't realize that maybe she knew some things they didn't. Elizabeth was friends with Michael for so long. Nevermind, it doesn't really matter. You know that ;)

I don't know why I've checked some comments (on behalf of Yahoo members) on the news that Elizabeth was laid to rest at Forest Lawn beside Michael... I really don't... There were nothing but positive remarks made about her person and personality (thankfully)... but Michael was/is being trashed and called injurious names even now.. and that they expected Elizabeth to not have requested that she is placed beside him. .. It completely crushed me. Like, not even now, when yet another great person passed away (thankfully peacefully, by all accounts..), can many abstain from being hateful and horrible. ...

...... ):

tumblrl7gx9tqn9b1qa26dn.jpg

Back