Dangerous 25: what would you like to see happen? [UNCONFIRMED]

mj_frenzy;4096256 said:
There seems to be a big anticipation/excitement from the fans, probably even bigger than the ‘BAD 25’, regarding a live ‘Dangerous Tour’ official DVD.

I hope this will play a role in the forthcoming ‘Dangerous 25’ release.

But how can we let the Estate and Sony show that we are really excited about a Dangerous 25 release? We need to get their attention... Do they check this forum?

rsggamer123;4096173 said:
I would absolutely LOVE to have a live cd of the Dangerous tour. I have the Bucharest concert on cd and would be absolutely amazing to have it in high quality, soundboard quality. I think the Dangerous tour had by far the best band out of all of his tours.

I hope not. The Bucharest concert doesn't sound good at all.

Last edited:
mj_frenzy;4096256 said:
There seems to be a big anticipation/excitement from the fans, probably even bigger than the ‘BAD 25’, regarding a live ‘Dangerous Tour’ official DVD. I hope this will play a role in the forthcoming ‘Dangerous 25’ release.

The Estate can't afford to spend millions on projects that pander to the lowest common denominator (the few thousand fans who are active on Internet discussion boards). Public interest is their highest priority - that's why the Xscape album was such a strong seller.

Bad 25 was a disaster sales wise. Sony and the estate both put substantial amounts of money toward the project, what with the restoration of the Wembley concert and the various packages and the Spike Lee documentary - it was easily their most elaborate concoction so far. And sales did not reflect that because it simply didn't attract the public as strongly as they thought it would.

Dangerous isn't even a fraction as popular as Bad is with the general public. Not that it doesn't deserve the recognition, but I wouldn't doubt that the estate is more than a bit hesitant to put a ton of money knowing they won't be getting it back.

At most I'm anticipating four or five new songs and that's it. That way, anything more will be a pleasant surprise. But history has so far proven that it's best to keep expectations as low as possible.

The mistake with Bad25 was that they should have pushed the Live DVD & CD more rather than the extra tracks that no-one outside the hardcore fan community is interested in.

They could have gathered massive interest releasing Billie Jean, WBSS, Smooth Criminal or (my choice) Dirty Diana live as a single & video.

I think if it wasn't for here I'd barely have been aware that the DVD box set even existed. Yet it's the best MJ release for 20 years.

Tony R;4096365 said:
The mistake with Bad25 was that they should have pushed the Live DVD & CD more rather than the extra tracks that no-one outside the hardcore fan community is interested in.

New material is the estate's biggest seller. Michael and Xscape are their two most popular projects thus far. The public isn't all that interested in Michael Jackson live.

AlwaysThere;4096423 said:
New material is the estate's biggest seller. Michael and Xscape are their two most popular projects thus far. The public isn't all that interested in Michael Jackson live.

it doesn't matter when I'll become rich I'll buy all the MJ STUFF and share them with all of you :)

Doggone;4096306 said:
But how can we let the Estate and Sony show that we are really excited about a Dangerous 25 release? We need to get their attention... Do they check this forum?

In my opinion, Estate & Sony are well aware of the fans’ wishes before even trying to check the various fan communities/forums…

If it is their intention to ruin MJ’s original songs by making projects that are mostly composed of contemporizations (such as ‘Michael’ & ‘Xscape’) then they should go ahead…

I think that later MJ’s concerts (‘Dangerous Tour’, ‘HIStory Tour’) appeal more to the general public not only because of their spectacular, theatrical concept & production but also because they included more hits.

mj_frenzy;4096459 said:
In my opinion, Estate & Sony are well aware of the fans’ wishes before even trying to check the various fan communities/forums...

Yeah and I think even on top of that, it's the most obvious option for a 2016 release.

I think especially since Michael's death his reputation as simply the greatest live performer ever has only widened.
It is so easy to push that aspect.

I think Bad25 might have done better if it had a little more publicity and they had split the packages up for people like me that was dying to have the live CD and DVD.
Sometimes you can't afford to rebuy things you already have in 3 different formats. :(

mj_frenzy;4096459 said:
If it is their intention to ruin MJ’s original songs by making projects that are mostly composed of contemporizations (such as ‘Michael’ & ‘Xscape’) then they should go ahead…

I think that later MJ’s concerts (‘Dangerous Tour’, ‘HIStory Tour’) appeal more to the general public not only because of their spectacular, theatrical concept & production but also because they included more hits.

Their approach to Michael's music is irrelevant to this conversation. The point is, of the projects released since 2010, Xscape and Michael have both garnered the largest revenues. The general public is not interested with Michael's live performances - there is no demand for it. At least none that I've seen. Studio albums are the wisest thing to do.

respect77;4096474 said:
Does everything always have to revolve around sales numbers?

Yes and no. Sony needs to recuperate the $250 million they put into the 2010 contract (which they most certainly will not even come close given the sales numbers of the last five years and the rules set by said contract - they over anticipated how long the Michael Jackson frenzy would go past 2009). They can't throw out projects that pander to the lowest common denominator. At least not yet.

That's why I'm tempering my expectations. Dangerous is not a universally praised album on the level of the Jackson/Jones projects. It of course does deserve praise, but Sony would be fools to do what they did for Bad 25 and make even less money back. At most we should just get four to five new songs and some demos. Not a concert, not a big deluxe package, just a simple project. Then maybe ask some people to write reviews on the album and give it some journalistic attention. We can draw attention to something without an elaborate unveiling.

Besides, I think it's about time the fan community got a truly small project for once. We're getting spoiled.

barbee0715;4096485 said:
Sometimes you can't afford to rebuy things you already have in 3 different formats. :(

That's why anniversary packages are never high sellers. People already have the Bad album - they aren't going to want to pay $30 to get six more songs, two songs that have been around since 2001, two secondary language renditions of a song on the first album, and three remixes.

^i was very grateful that they offered the DVD separate but I wish they had done the same with the live CD.
I'd think they would make up the number invested-Xscape was one if the highest selling albums last year.

I would definitely buy another Dangerous tour if they threw in those rehearsals. Best part of that tour to me.

barbee0715;4096497 said:
^i was very grateful that they offered the DVD separate but I wish they had done the same with the live CD.

I agree. Not selling the live CD seperately was a mistake IMO. Especially that MJ does not have any live albums on the market (if we do not count the very obscure Jacksons Live album from 1981). And he still does not because you are still not able to buy the Bad Tour Live CD seperately, you can only have it if you buy the expensive full Bad 25 package. And that is not right. It was a missed opportunity.

I agree that re-releases generally are not big sellers, especially when we do not talk about something that is perceived legendary by the general public (eg. Thriller). On the other hand I think the Bad 25 project was not marketed very well either. The Bad 25 documentary was not used to promote the album (it came out months later). The packaging wasn't right - for example the above mentioned missed opportunity with the LIVE CD. It's weird that the project did not do better when you look at the charts and Bad (the original album) is charting as we speak and it's been charting for many, many weeks now. Or go to Spotify and you will see that album has a lot of spins. So it's not like it's a forgotten, unpopular album. I think Sony should look at what they did wrong with the promotion and packaging and all that stuff because there was more potential in that project when we look at the album's popularity.

I agree that Dangerous is less popular/known with the general public as Bad even though it's very popular with the hard core fan base. OK, then do Off The Wall. That album never had an anniversary edition either and that album is a critics' darling so I am sure a re-release would get good reviews. And today there is a lot of references to that sound from current artists. Although I have to say despite of its popularity with critics, OTW is actually a less popular album than Bad, at least if we go by popularity on streaming services. But they could do great things with an OTW anniversary.

They should release a good quality concert first. Bad Tour and Dangerous Tour in HD on Blu-Ray could sell really well. They could make really good trailers with that footage to get people interested.

Galactus123;4096522 said:
They should release a good quality concert first. Bad Tour and Dangerous Tour in HD on Blu-Ray could sell really well. They could make really good trailers with that footage to get people interested.

There's no demand. That's the point I'm trying to get across. I've never seen or heard a general fan comment that they want to see a Michael Jackson tour on DVD/Blu-Ray or in theaters. They're all interested in the new music.

^^ that's because most don't know that these tours/footage exist. If they are made aware of what is possible then such projects could be huge.

Zakk;4096574 said:
^^ that's because most don't know that these tours/footage exist. If they are made aware of what is possible then such projects could be huge.

Seems speculative on your part. And false. There are countless History tour concerts available in full on the internet. Both Dangerous and Bad have been put on film. People are aware that these things exist - once again, most just don't care to see it.

Promotion can only do so much - if people don't care about seeing something they won't flock out to see it. And there has been no such demand for any Michael Jackson concert release from the general public.

AlwaysThere;4096575 said:
People are aware that these things exist - once again, most just don't care to see it.

Promotion can only do so much - if people don't care about seeing something they won't flock out to see it. And there has been no such demand for any Michael Jackson concert release from the general public.
I don't mean to sound callous at all, but it's too bad that they couldn't have found the BAD Wembley concert (and a Victory concert) within the first year or maybe two of Michael's passing-I think it would have done gangbusters at that time.

No one cares for VHS quality anymore, they should transfer the negatives.

Galactus123;4096522 said:

That's what I'd love to see more than a Dangerous CD re-release.

AlwaysThere;4096525 said:
There's no demand. That's the point I'm trying to get across. I've never seen or heard a general fan comment that they want to see a Michael Jackson tour on DVD/Blu-Ray or in theaters. They're all interested in the new music.

I'd love to see a Blu-ray release,new music is always exciting and I really enjoyed Xscape but I don't see me reaching for "Michael" at all now and can't see that changing much in the future....what I'm saying is it has to be the right songs for it to be worth while to me....give me an HD concert any day over that kind of release.

Zakk;4096582 said:

I've become an HD snob :beee: that Bad DVD makes my eyes bleed and the audio ain't great either,a proper HD release of a concert is top of my wishlist.

Last edited:
Silverstone;4096596 said:
I'd love to see a Blu-ray release,new music is always exciting and I really enjoyed Xscape but I don't see me reaching for "Michael" at all now and can't see that changing much in the future....what I'm saying is it has to be the right songs for it to be worth while to me....give me an HD concert anyday over that kind of release.

I understand the commercial side, but there has to be a nice balance between commercial aspects and preserving Michael's legacy. IMO not every project has to be blockbuster commercially because then all we would get are MJ demos "contemporarized" by current artists to sound current and I don't think that's a healthy way to preserve his legacy. Not everything in music is geared towards blockbuster commercial success. Sometimes you have projects which are targeted at the hard core fan base of an artist - and even with lot less popular artists than Michael that is still somehow worth for their record companies, so I can't see how we cannot have projects that are aimed at preserving his legacy in an artistically authentic way. I am not against projects like Xscape, but it needs to be a healthy balance IMO.

respect77;4096598 said:
I understand the commercial side, but there has to be a nice balance between commercial aspects and preserving Michael's legacy. IMO not every project has to be blockbuster commercially because then all we would get are MJ demos "contemporarized" by current artists to sound current and I don't think that's a healthy way to preserve his legacy. Not everything in music is geared towards blockbuster commercial success. Sometimes you have projects which are targeted at the hard core fan base of an artist - and even with lot less popular artists than Michael that is still somehow worth for their record companies, so I can't see how we cannot have projects that are aimed at preserving his legacy in an artistically authentic way. I am not against projects like Xscape, but it needs to be a healthy balance IMO.

I agree with you 100%,I would much rather hear the songs how they were when Michael left them than have them brushed up to date by another artist,simple as that but I appreciate what was done on Xscape,having both is a bonus I guess,the hard core fan base will enjoy anything that is Michael's and is untouched I'm sure but cash is king and everything comes back to money and it seems that these releases are all for the bigger commercial market.

Last edited:
Silverstone;4096600 said:
I agree with you 100%,I would much rather hear the songs how they were when Michael left them than have them brushed up to date by another artist,simple as that but I appreciate what was done on Xscape,having both is a bonus I guess,the hard core fan base will enjoy anything that is Michael's and is untouched I'm sure but cash is king and everything comes back to money and it seems that these releases are all for the bigger commercial market.

yeah, I appreciate.

Silverstone;4096596 said:
That's what I'd love to see more than a Dangerous CD re-release.

I'd love to see a Blu-ray release,new music is always exciting and I really enjoyed Xscape but I don't see me reaching for "Michael" at all now and can't see that changing much in the future....what I'm saying is it has to be the right songs for it to be worth while to me....give me an HD concert any day over that kind of release.

I've become an HD snob :beee: that Bad DVD makes my eyes bleed and the audio ain't great either,a proper HD release of a concert is top of my wishlist.

and mine too!

AlwaysThere;4096488 said:
The general public is not interested with Michael's live performances - there is no demand for it. At least none that I've seen. Studio albums are the wisest thing to do.

Sony needs to recuperate the $250 million they put into the 2010 contract (which they most certainly will not even come close given the sales numbers of the last five years and the rules set by said contract - they over anticipated how long the Michael Jackson frenzy would go past 2009). They can't throw out projects that pander to the lowest common denominator. At least not yet.

I have already stated that earlier in this thread. Many of MJ's concerts are already available for free, so I suppose this will play a role.

Keeping costs down makes (a lot of) sense but, at the same time, I think that a ‘Dangerous’ DVD concert is not a preposterous request from the fans.

AlwaysThere;4096488 said:
The general public is not interested with Michael's live performances - there is no demand for it. At least none that I've seen.

Do concerts even sell that well? I honestly can't remember ever really seeing hype from the general public for the release of a concert on home video. Maybe that Led Zeppelin Celebration Day one a few years back...

Quick side note: Bad 25 more than likely wouldn't have gotten more promotion if they wanted to. They mishandled the money - paying Afrojack, Pitbull and Nero to remix songs, the Pepsi sponsorship, putting together the Bad 25 documentary... that's where most of the budget went.

Zakk;4096582 said:

The general public were mostly unaware that the Wembley concert was taken from a VHS tape. That had little to do with the poor sales.

But once again, you speak of "transfer[ring] the negatives" when you have no concrete idea of what negatives the Estate has access to. People are asking for specific concert dates (which is easily the most arrogant thing I've seen from any fan base) - how can we be sure that full film reels to these shows even exist in the Estate's possession? It's setting up for disappointment.

mj_frenzy;4096615 said:
Keeping costs down makes (a lot of) sense but, at the same time, I think that a ‘Dangerous’ DVD concert is not a preposterous request from the fans.

A Dangerous tour concert isn't preposterous by any means on its own. But certain fans are putting together a mental idea of a Dangerous 25 project that would combine a Blu-Ray/DVD of the concert, tons of new material, and a significant promotional effort, which would not be cost efficient nor would it be a wise decision.

Perhaps the Estate will prove me wrong next year and put out exactly what fans have been asking for. Who knows? We'll have to see.

HIStoric;4096616 said:
Do concerts even sell that well? I honestly can't remember ever really seeing hype from the general public for the release of a concert on home video. Maybe that Led Zeppelin Celebration Day one a few years back...

Concert films generally don't draw big audiences, particularly when they're released directly to video. There are several classic artists (John Lennon, Bob Marley, Jimi Hendrix) that have had concerts released posthumously without much promotional hype. Wembley more than likely wouldn't have fared much better with big promotion.

I think nothing really sells big any more, except for a couple of top current acts. IMO most releases by catalog artists are aimed at the hard core fan base who want to have that CD or DVD/Blue-ray in their collection, but most of the general public just goes to YouTube or Spotify or any other streaming service and listen to the music, watch the videos there.

I remember reading an analysis among those leaked Sony docs which said that even iTunes is on the decline now, it's all about streaming.

respect77;4096627 said:
I remember reading an analysis among those leaked Sony docs which said that even iTunes is on the decline now, it's all about streaming.

Yeah, which is why Apple is launching Apple Music in two days.

Back