Diana Ross

I agree. I don't know where my mind was. Gotta thank God for YouTube. I heard some AMAZING Diana Ross clips since. I love "The Interim", "Brown Baby/Save the Children", "Surrender", "No One Gets the Prize", "I Ain't Been Licked" and saw some of her Caesar's Palace concert from 1979.

She truly was the original pop diva.
:punk::wub:
I made a Diana thread in this section, I totally missed yours:lol:-_- Sorry!

I too love Diana Ross and the Supremes, I especially love the song "You can't hurry love". I have a compilation album of them and I listen to it all the time:)

Diana is one of my idols. My favorite songs are Upside Down, Love Will Make It Right and Eaten Alive.

I've got 3 Diana Ross LP's that I haven't had time to listen to yet. :/

Last edited:
I love Diana but I still wish she hadn't done The Wiz. I think she was terrible in it and the songs just didn't suit her voice.

I love Diana but I still wish she hadn't done The Wiz. I think she was terrible in it and the songs just didn't suit her voice.

Well a lot of people thought she was misscast in that role. Many felt she was too old too play Dorothy and they were probably right, but I enjoyed her acting in the movie nonetheless and although I like Stephanie Mill's version of "Home" best, I think Diana's version is quite good.

And speaking of Diana, does anyone here have her album "Blue"? 'Cause that's all i've been listening too lately. Really a great album, it's too bad it was shelved but I'm glad it's finally seen the light of day.

Diana-Ross-Blue-CD-Cvr.jpg

Last edited:
Hey, y'all...

A funny thing happened to me when I went home last night after buying the Supremes' #1's compilation album of all the group's and Diana Ross' number-one hits (a combined 23 #1 hits on the pop, dance and R&B singles charts!) and once I heard the foot stomps and Diana's vocals on "Where Did Our Love Go" (1964), I find myself dancing along.

Then it got to "Baby Love" and I sung along... "Come See About Me" I started shaking my butt then it got to "Stop! In the Name of Love" and I was doing their choreography! :rofl: Then as each song went on and on I find myself enjoying the records the Supremes put out throughout their roughly 16-year recording tenure in Motown and then on to Diana's solo records.

And I find myself finding a newfound respect for the vocal talents of Diana Ross. I agree I had been critical of La Ross for a while but the collection (and hearing the long versions of "Ain't No Mountain High Enough", "The Interim" and "Reach Out & Touch (Somebody's Hand)") made me a fan of Ms. Ross again. I now understand WHY Diana Ross was the voice of the Supremes though the group itself had great records before, during and after Diana took leadership of the group then left for her solo career.

The first 12 songs represents Diana Ross well as one of the greatest female pop icons of the 20th century and the Supremes as one of the greatest music groups ever. The 13th song showcases the great talent of the underrated Jean Terrell in "Stoned Love", which was itself as innovative as the magical run of the group's 12 number one hits with Ross in the lead and the remaining eight songs that followed showcase the best of Diana Ross as a soloist.

And after seeing YouTube videos of Diana performing, I take EVERYTHING back. She is the greatest female entertainer of all time and also one of the greatest pop singers of all time. Her contributions also with Mary Wilson and Florence Ballard help to make the Supremes one of the greatest groups of all time bar none.

Just thought I'd tell you that.

I'm rockin' to "Someday We'll Be Together" right now. :listeningtomusic
Well I bought the CD too today.
There is this radio station here called the Groove FM and they've been playing Diana Ross/Supremes quite a lot lately and I've really liked the songs. I always thought that Ross has a weak voice but I've since changed my mind totally.
Favorites: Stop! In the name of love, Love Child,Reflections, stoned love, ain't no mountain high enough, Love hangover, upside down, I'm coming out

Diana fans, I need some help! :happy:

I have the #1's album, and I absolutly love it. I've bought some other songs on Itunes too, my faves of her/the supremes are 'Why do fools fall in love', 'The happening', 'Chain Reaction', 'Do you know where your going to', 'Love child', 'Endless love' and 'you can't hurry love'. (I could go on forever lol)

So any tip on which album I should get next? The blue album which someone wrote about in here?

Last edited:
bummpp

I would say get Diana. Touch me in the morning, the boss, maybe a greatest hits to get a taste if you like.

The Boss in particular has some fine-ass tracks. She's SINGING in those. My favorite Diana joint from the album is between the title track and "No One Gets the Prize" and "It's My House". B)

You can tell she paved the way for the modern pop diva based on "It's My House" alone: sexy, sleek and funky. :D

only diana ross song I've ever got into is : stop in the name of love

i still get the Fred Sanford look thinking about you after all of these years acknowledging Diana Ross. still in shock like a Hot Comb.

Diana fans, I need some help! :happy:

I have the #1's album, and I absolutly love it. I've bought some other songs on Itunes too, my faves of her/the supremes are 'Why do fools fall in love', 'The happening', 'Chain Reaction', 'Do you know where your going to', 'Love child', 'Endless love' and 'you can't hurry love'. (I could go on forever lol)

So any tip on which album I should get next? The blue album which someone wrote about in here?

It is a must that everyone get the soundtrack to Lady Sings the Blues...its imperative...an emergency....don't walk ....run! :lol:

you'll be so glad you did :yes: :flowers:

next to that one, my fave DR album of all time is Surrender

"don'tcha know that I'm takin my case, to the highest court of love

and these are some of the charges that you'll be

found guilty of

you used me and abused me

til i felt like i wantedtodie

you created a need in me

that only you

could satisfyyyyyyyyyyy SURRRENDER!!!

your love baybeh! SURRENDER!! YOUR LOVE!!

:punk: "0uu! Right now!! (give it to me give it to me) Give it to me YEAHHHHH!!! Ho!! a right now!!!! Give it to meeeeeeeeeeee!!! hay haaaay baybeh!!!!!!!! "

oh yeh :lol:

i still get the Fred Sanford look thinking about you after all of these years acknowledging Diana Ross. still in shock like a Hot Comb.

We all change, brother. ;) I can't stay mad at the woman nor can I blame her for any bull ish with the Supremes. Shoot, I'm almost 25, man (next year). Man gotta do some growing. I don't hate on anybody unless they say something that I easily get offended by.

Even Marvin didn't hate her. :lol:

"But she ain't about to tell me WHERE to smoke my weed, baby, dig?" :p

Sike, just playing. Love ya Diana! ^_^

Last edited:
Diana Ross is the ULTIMATE Diva. the ultimate. I have never seen any like her on stage since. She is a class act. I have loved her forever., I have some of her albums but I need to update thme cause I haven't listen to them in a while. One of my favourites of hers is, 'Touch me in the Morning'.

Last edited:
Boss

She was "The Boss" before the media gave that title to Bruce Springsteen.
Actually, it was Bruce's band that gave him that name, not the press. It wasn't meant as a compliment, lol. Bruce worked the E Street Band really hard.

i have the supremes greatest hits album and a few diana songs are on there...my all time fave supreme song is 'someday we'll be together'...that was played @ flo's funeral...
This wasn't the Supremes. It was really the Adantes singing the background vocals, the guy voice is Johnny Bristol. A lot of the songs released as Diana Ross and The Supremes were really the Adantes.

This wasn't the Supremes. It was really the Adantes singing the background vocals, the guy voice is Johnny Bristol. A lot of the songs released as Diana Ross and The Supremes were really the Adantes.

I heard people say that, and I do believe it to be true. Probably to put emphasis on Diana more. Just like they did at Motown at that time, I still love Diana Ross tho.

I heard people say that, and I do believe it to be true. Probably to put emphasis on Diana more. Just like they did at Motown at that time, I still love Diana Ross tho.
When it was The Supremes, it really was Mary & Florence singing, but when Diana had Flo booted out and took Cindy Birdsong from The Bluebells (Patti LaBelle wasn't happy with Diana about this) to replace her, Cindy & Mary didn't sing on a lot of the songs on the records, but did perform the songs in concert or on TV. This was the time the name was changed to Diana Ross and the Supremes. Mainly Cindy & Mary sang on the Temptations duets albums, and not much of the other stuff which was usually the Motown house backup singers The Adantes but in a few cases it was the Waters sisters. At this point Diana recorded her parts in a separate session from the background vocals. When Flo was in the group, all 3 recorded together. Flo had to stand a few feet away from the mike and the other girls because her voice was much louder than Diana's & Mary's.

Back