Does MJ own his own catalog, 100%?

Travis

Proud Member
I have always thought so but I don't know the details. Can someone explain the situation to me? Thx.

I have always thought so but I don't know the details. Can someone explain the situation to me? Thx.[/b]

Yes, he does through "MiJac Music". MiJac is under the "MJ Publishing Trust".

Good to know that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :jump: Hold on Michael to your assets..... That is what the hatred for you is all about. And the lies. :kickass:

He actually won't own the full PUBLISHING rights to his catalog (Currently belonging to SonyBMG) until next year, but the clock is ticking and they will soon be back in his hands. This is why you see the massive push to sell everything from Off the Wall to Dangerous in all kinds of re-packaged formats. Sony is trying to flood the market so Mike won't have a chance to build his own collection of re-masters to issue. It's all about the dollar, unfortunately.

He actually won't own the full PUBLISHING rights to his catalog (Currently belonging to SonyBMG) until next year, but the clock is ticking and they will soon be back in his hands. This is why you see the massive push to sell everything from Off the Wall to Dangerous in all kinds of re-packaged formats. Sony is trying to flood the market so Mike won't have a chance to build his own collection of re-masters to issue. It's all about the dollar, unfortunately.[/b]

Mijac Publishing and Sony/ATV are 2 separate entities..... Sony has nothing to do with Mijac Publishing..which is where all his songs are under...

it sounds like u are talking about his masters.. and from what I understand.... he already owns his masters...

:unsure: I don,t think he owns it right out anymore that he has only so much of it now. Don,t know exactly but i do think its up for renewal or something soon. I just hope he will hang on to it , i think he will.

He actually won't own the full PUBLISHING rights to his catalog (Currently belonging to SonyBMG) until next year, but the clock is ticking and they will soon be back in his hands. This is why you see the massive push to sell everything from Off the Wall to Dangerous in all kinds of re-packaged formats. Sony is trying to flood the market so Mike won't have a chance to build his own collection of re-masters to issue. It's all about the dollar, unfortunately.[/b]

MJ owns 100% publishing rights to all his music and many more in his MiJac catalog (currently almost 1000 songs including Sly and Family Stone songs among others). What Sony BMG owns is MJ's master recordings That's what he'll get back next year. Once he has that... Sony won't release anything else from him. He'll have full control of everything from then on.

Hasn't all this been transfered to 'New Horizon Trust' or am I mistaken? :flowers:[/b]

Yes but only for a period of time and even then MJ still owns New Horizon Trust 100% :flowers:

MJ owns 100% publishing rights to all his music and many more in his MiJac catalog (currently almost 1000 songs including Sly and Family Stone songs among others). What Sony BMG owns is MJ's master recordings That's what he'll get back next year. Once he has that... Sony won't release anything else from him. He'll have full control of everything from then on.[/b]

Michael's smart as hell.

He owns 100% of his music, but he does not have 100% ownership of his music.. What I mean by that is, he owns everysong, but not by himself.. For example, if Michael were to break his contract with Sony, (which he wont) He will lose many songs.. Billie Jean, Beat It being two of them.. This is one of the reasons why he coninued dealing with them.. Once his contract is UP, he'll get full control of them..

This happened after a deal between ATV beatles catologue.. Part of the agreements

Oh so thats how it is . Good i,m glad that all will be in his ownership again . Thanks guys for clearing that up. Michael could never let his songs go to some one else.

Wow, I didn't knew all these details, but I'm soo happy Mike owns his own songs.

Yeaah, as soon as he gets the right for his masters too, Sony can't use him anymore, honestly I am getting a little upset about the way they keep releasing MJ stuff which is just the same songs over and over again.

Michael owns his song in his own catalog.till the end of this years Sony still has the right to publish and sell his music.after that-bye,bye:)

I think the moment he gets the master tapes to Invincible back, he should re work it and re release it and promote it the proper way. :)

better let the past in the past. But on a remix album - released between normal ones - it could be possible to throw in a few Invincible tracks. I would be more than delighted.

MJ owns 100% publishing rights to all his music and many more in his MiJac catalog (currently almost 1000 songs including Sly and Family Stone songs among others). What Sony BMG owns is MJ's master recordings That's what he'll get back next year. Once he has that... Sony won't release anything else from him. He'll have full control of everything from then on.[/b]

Hi,

How do you know Michael will get back his 'Master Recordings' next year?

I read a few years ago that Michael would get back his 'Masters' in 2007 and now your saying 2008, I just wondering how you know.

Also does this mean if I went and brought the 'Bad' Album CD next year, it would not be on Sony's label?

Thanks for the information.

if sony postpone the release of thriller cd+dvd to 2008 it's mean that sony still own the master in 2008

I am pretty certain Michael already has his masters.. but anyway you slice it... he is still one of the smartest artist out there when it comes to publishing rights of his own music....

better let the past in the past. But on a remix album - released between normal ones - it could be possible to throw in a few Invincible tracks. I would be more than delighted.[/b]

Please no remix albums. Remixes blow big time. they take away the quality of the original track. Remixes should all be blown up.

every year someone says mj will get his maters back next year. this has been said for the last 4 years or so. so whats the truth and what does it mean anyway.and someone mentioned some recent comment by branca where he supposedly said mj had them back now. so mj can sell rights to thriller and have another lable print cds? or they can release G.hits? and do sony need mjs permission for the Ghits as someone mentioned mj still had to give permission cause he owns the sound recording or something. all very confusing.

slighty OT but would a deal like what madonnas suppsodly doing be good for mj? seeing as the weisner issue is over theres nothing stopping it from that side of things

I love remixes! :D ;) Any way you put it: Michael is very very rich!!! You know that movie with that man (hugh grant) who lived of the ownership of one hit christmas song? Well multiply that with all the songs Michael owns! wowwww

I don't think Michael should do what Madonna is doing. When you sign the rights of something as important as your image and likeness over to someone for an extended period of time, it can cause a lot of problems down the road. I think it would be best for Michael to keep control of those rights within his own hands, as that way, he can do whatever he likes, when he likes. In terms of a record deal, I think Michael can negotiate big dollars either way, from any label, because every time he puts out a record, it returns a whole lot of cash. When History came out, it was estimated to generate 1 billion dollars worth in sales, with everything that goes with a record release. When you have that kind of popularity, and Michael still does whether the media wants you to believe it or not, any record label is going to be chomping at the bit to sign you over, and he won't take some sorry deal either. He's got major negotiating power. Look at it from this perspective. Michael is a genuinly unique talent, no one out there is even near capable of what he does, in terms of singing, dancing, writing, composing and performing. His creativity is phenomenal, and if you give him an inch, he'll go a mile. He can produce, at the highest quality, in all these fields of the performing arts. That right there is insentive enough to sign him to a big deal. But look what else he has. He's the most recognizable human being on the face of the planet, you stick his name or face on something, and it will grab people's attetnion, right away. He owns 50% of the second largest music publishing catalog in the industry, he owns 100% or his own publishing and according to some either has or will soon have 100% ownership of his master recordings. He's packing a wallop in terms of where he stands. The media and press would like us to believe differently, but he's got major sway, he IS popular, people want to see the real deal badly. They're sick of all these tastless, in your face, clumbsy, cluttered styless wanna be's like Justin Timberlake, Chris Brown, Usher, Omarion, on and on and on. They want class and sophistication, they want real, natural born talent, and that's Michael Jackson. And people in the industry know it too. They know it because of the way the public STILL reacts every time Michael steps out. It's practical pandimonium. How many 49 year old pop stars can continue to generate hystaria? Answer. One. Michael Jackson.

true. been reading over the madonna deal and yes it does seem like there could be issues over being whored out by the label so they can make a profit etc and issues of not being in control

Michael should keep 100% ownership of all his music.. Though his new material will be his main source of new money.. The old music is a STRONG source of promotion for HIM.. Specials, tours, etc.. He would not be able to use the music he does not own without PERMISSION if he does not have it.. For example, lets say a company owned Billie Jean, and Michael was planning on doing major concert venues.. Most likely, he would want to perform Billie Jean, if the company says no.. (for whatever reason, $$$, a falling out). he CANNOT perform or use the song.. that simple..

The more songs, and the OLDER a song is the worth of it goes up.. For example Mike bought the Bettles Catolugue for 48 million.. It is now worth over 500 million.. (just within 2 decades).. The inflation rate is HIGH when it comes to music rights.. Michael should NEVER let go of his music.. Even if it means if he finds a deal to pay him 300 million within the next 5 years.. The terms when u SHARE ANYTHING, can always be dangerous.. The contract with Sony in the early 90's was the BIGGEST and GREATEST contract signed.. NOw look what happened..

He Owns his own songs. he has the outright copyright on his songs. now the Masters is where the real big money kicks in and He should be getting all of that real soon. the whole re-release re masters that MJ gave to Sony along with Invincible, and the box set and that Number ones Project were a trade off. now MJ is Smart as a Whip to maintain a Business association with Sony with the whole Sony/Atv association. that is constant money coming in. that deal alone means that sony has to pay him and not spread no BS about his money,etc..... put it like this, even if MJ had debts that were big, Sony would have to pay him a half a Billion dollars just to clear ties with him and he walks with his masters on top of that and in the future there is always gonna be demand for his catelog so MJ will be set for his lifetime through his Great,Great,Great Grandkids lifetime just as long as he handles his business and continues have the right lawyers,etc...

MJ is a Boardroom member at sony and that is big time money. there isn't another artist that is in the same bag as MJ over at Sony. that Man is Gangsta. Catelog, Publishing and Masters is where the real loot is at. that is a veteren Artist's Pension, Social Security, health care etc.... the same reality is that so many artists get older and only get peanuts to half a crack of a nut and have to work like slaves until they drop dead.

He Owns his own songs. he has the outright copyright on his songs. now the Masters is where the real big money kicks in and He should be getting all of that real soon. the whole re-release re masters that MJ gave to Sony along with Invincible, and the box set and that Number ones Project were a trade off. now MJ is Smart as a Whip to maintain a Business association with Sony with the whole Sony/Atv association. that is constant money coming in. that deal alone means that sony has to pay him and not spread no BS about his money,etc..... put it like this, even if MJ had debts that were big, Sony would have to pay him a half a Billion dollars just to clear ties with him and he walks with his masters on top of that and in the future there is always gonna be demand for his catelog so MJ will be set for his lifetime through his Great,Great,Great Grandkids lifetime just as long as he handles his business and continues have the right lawyers,etc...

MJ is a Boardroom member at sony and that is big time money. there isn't another artist that is in the same bag as MJ over at Sony. that Man is Gangsta. Catelog, Publishing and Masters is where the real loot is at. that is a veteren Artist's Pension, Social Security, health care etc.... the same reality is that so many artists get older and only get peanuts to half a crack of a nut and have to work like slaves until they drop dead.[/b]
Thanks for saying it. I have always believed that MJ will never have to make another record if he doesn't want to. i also believe that he has a salary coming from his board room position too. :flowers:

I don't think Michael should do what Madonna is doing. When you sign the rights of something as important as your image and likeness over to someone for an extended period of time, it can cause a lot of problems down the road. I think it would be best for Michael to keep control of those rights within his own hands, as that way, he can do whatever he likes, when he likes. In terms of a record deal, I think Michael can negotiate big dollars either way, from any label, because every time he puts out a record, it returns a whole lot of cash. When History came out, it was estimated to generate 1 billion dollars worth in sales, with everything that goes with a record release. When you have that kind of popularity, and Michael still does whether the media wants you to believe it or not, any record label is going to be chomping at the bit to sign you over, and he won't take some sorry deal either. He's got major negotiating power. Look at it from this perspective. Michael is a genuinly unique talent, no one out there is even near capable of what he does, in terms of singing, dancing, writing, composing and performing. His creativity is phenomenal, and if you give him an inch, he'll go a mile. He can produce, at the highest quality, in all these fields of the performing arts. That right there is insentive enough to sign him to a big deal. But look what else he has. He's the most recognizable human being on the face of the planet, you stick his name or face on something, and it will grab people's attetnion, right away. He owns 50% of the second largest music publishing catalog in the industry, he owns 100% or his own publishing and according to some either has or will soon have 100% ownership of his master recordings. He's packing a wallop in terms of where he stands. The media and press would like us to believe differently, but he's got major sway, he IS popular, people want to see the real deal badly. They're sick of all these tastless, in your face, clumbsy, cluttered styless wanna be's like Justin Timberlake, Chris Brown, Usher, Omarion, on and on and on. They want class and sophistication, they want real, natural born talent, and that's Michael Jackson. And people in the industry know it too. They know it because of the way the public STILL reacts every time Michael steps out. It's practical pandimonium. How many 49 year old pop stars can continue to generate hystaria? Answer. One. Michael Jackson.[/b]

You ain't never lied. Your posts are the BOMB by the way.

I don't think Michael should do what Madonna is doing. When you sign the rights of something as important as your image and likeness over to someone for an extended period of time, it can cause a lot of problems down the road. I think it would be best for Michael to keep control of those rights within his own hands, as that way, he can do whatever he likes, when he likes. In terms of a record deal, I think Michael can negotiate big dollars either way, from any label, because every time he puts out a record, it returns a whole lot of cash. When History came out, it was estimated to generate 1 billion dollars worth in sales, with everything that goes with a record release. When you have that kind of popularity, and Michael still does whether the media wants you to believe it or not, any record label is going to be chomping at the bit to sign you over, and he won't take some sorry deal either. He's got major negotiating power. Look at it from this perspective. Michael is a genuinly unique talent, no one out there is even near capable of what he does, in terms of singing, dancing, writing, composing and performing. His creativity is phenomenal, and if you give him an inch, he'll go a mile. He can produce, at the highest quality, in all these fields of the performing arts. That right there is insentive enough to sign him to a big deal. But look what else he has. He's the most recognizable human being on the face of the planet, you stick his name or face on something, and it will grab people's attetnion, right away. He owns 50% of the second largest music publishing catalog in the industry, he owns 100% or his own publishing and according to some either has or will soon have 100% ownership of his master recordings. He's packing a wallop in terms of where he stands. The media and press would like us to believe differently, but he's got major sway, he IS popular, people want to see the real deal badly. They're sick of all these tastless, in your face, clumbsy, cluttered styless wanna be's like Justin Timberlake, Chris Brown, Usher, Omarion, on and on and on. They want class and sophistication, they want real, natural born talent, and that's Michael Jackson. And people in the industry know it too. They know it because of the way the public STILL reacts every time Michael steps out. It's practical pandimonium. How many 49 year old pop stars can continue to generate hystaria? Answer. One. Michael Jackson.[/b]

I totally agree with you..

the deal that Madonna did is good for Madonna..

Michael has always had more control over his music... than other artist... and he already had the biggest record deal in history.. with highest return on album/single sales than any other artist.. which was and still is unprecedented for an African American artist.. don't be fooled by the 'he's broke stories'... business wise.. Michael is way ahead of the game...

he placed him-self as the single-biggest publishing owner in the world.. operative world is ... SINGLE/ONE PERSON.... you would thing he knew the music industry would be in a slump some day and publishing would be the way
to go..

ummm???

Back