Exclusive: Michael Jackson TV Movie 'Searching for Neverland' from Emmy Winning Motown Veteran

Re: Exclusive: Michael Jackson TV Movie Coming from Emmy Winning Motown Veteran

I don't know if it will be broadcast in Denmark, if it does I will watch it.

Or maybe I'll wait and hear reactions first, if it is total crap I will not waste my time on it. :)

But for now I will give it the benefit of the doubt.

no matter where it airs, who ever wants to watch it will be able to in some fashion. One plus about the internet!

We'll see. I'll read some reviews before decinding of watching it or not.

Video with film-szene`s in the link

http://www.etonline.com/movies/211361_exclusive_mee? t_the_man_playing_th e_king_of_pop_lifeti me_michael_jackson_s earching_for_neverla nd/

MOVIES?EXCLUSIVE: Meet the Man Playing the King of Pop in Lifetime's 'Michael Jackson: Searching for Neverland'

by Raphael Chestang 5:08 PM PST, February 24, 2017

Playing EXCLUSIVE: Meet the Man Playing the King of Pop in Lifetime's 'Michael Jackson: Searching for Neverland'

The Lifetime biopic Michael Jackson: Searching for Neverland ?has found its lead in M.J. tribute artist, Navi, and he sat down with ET to talk about the upcoming project.

The Trinidad native has had numerous plastic surgery operations, changing his nose, cheekbones and chin just to look more like the late King of Pop.

"I used to work for him as a decoy, and I performed at his birthday parties," Navi told ET's Nischelle Turner. "Even when he went through the trials, I stood outside the courthouse and I stood there with a sign that said, 'Smooth but not a criminal.' To me it was important that I wanted Michael to know I believe in him."

The TV movie, based on the bestselling book Remember the Time, will focus on the last three years of Jackson's life, as told through the eyes of his two bodyguards, Bill Whitfield and Javon Beard.

Jackson's 18-year-old daughter Paris previously voiced her distaste for the now-canceled episode of Sky Arts' Urban Myths series centered on a road trip Jackson, Elizabeth Taylor and Marlon Brando? reportedly took. Paris took issue with Joseph Fiennes' portrayal of Jackson, calling it "shameful." She has kept silent on Lifetime's upcoming movie, and while she has been invited to the set, Paris hasn't visited.

"I have spoken to the family in the past, but I haven't spoken to them about this project," Navi admitted. "But I believe that when this project is out, they will know it is a fair and true portrayal."

The movie will mark Navi's acting debut, but he told ET that when it's over, he will return to his true passion.

"I'm going back to pick up my glove, put on my shoes, and get back on stage," he said.

Video: https://www.yahoo.com/tv/exclusive-meet-man-playing-king-010800615.html

300_et_c2_mikejackson_022417.png

Thank you. ^It looks truly grim from this extract. Navi has none of Michael's 'lightness of being'. He plays MJ very 'heavy-handedly' and says his lines badly, imho. I don't think this film is likely to help MJ's legacy at all, as a portrayal of MJ 'as a person'. Whether the storyline will help the portrayal, I don't know.

(If you can't see this video, it shows MJ at a party for his children. When Paris blows out cake candles and makes a wish to go back to Neverland, he replies 'We can never go back to Neverland. That place has been contaminated with evil'. Then later on, Blanket presses a security alarm (in mischief) and armed guards come running. MJ tells Blanket off. 'It's not funny'.)

Last edited:

I'm sorry I haven't read the entire thread, but I was wondering why E'Cas wasn't considered for the role.
I read several years ago that he was ill in some way? But I don't know for sure.....maybe thats why he was not considered?
It seems to me that he would have made a better candidate if not only because of a better resemblance to MJ.

I dont know if anyone will ever get it right playing MJ but I must say, seeing Navi in that clip did make me cringe a little.
But I can, and do, appreciate his LOVE for Michael.

Umm, yeah I will watch it when it comes out. But it will be with a very critical mind...you betcha!

I think resemblence is not what makes someone qualified to play MJ. I would rather go with less resemblence but with good acting skills and someone who can capture the spirit of MJ. I think Wylie Draper did a respectable job there even though he didn't resemble MJ that much. But he still was able to play him credibly.

No it does not qualify them, but it sure doesn't hurt.
Of course we'd like for someone to possess all of the attributes to pull it off. And that's a tall order.
(Maybe I should have stated that in my previous post but I thought that would go w/o saying.)

Wylie Draper did a great job in "An American Dream"! May he continue to rest in peace.

:blink:
The way he says contaminated with evil. Just no. Please no.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BQ8g6VZD4-i/

The fact is that MJ had such a unique personality, voice, speaking style etc. no one can
capture it. Wylie Draper tried it and ended up looking mad and depressed all the time. He never smiled!
An MJ who never smiles? Come on. But at least Draper was not ridiculous. Flex and Navy are.

Last edited:

Lawd, from that clip alone it looks cringeworthy AF.
Lifetime has no business making a biopic about any celeb let alone MJ.
Worst case scenario people see some crazy mess in the biopic that causes a media storm and is taken as fact, best case scenario is it flops like a pancake and fades into obscurity.

Either way I ain't watching this mess just like I didn't watch the Britney Spears one.

Last edited:

Damn I wish BET could have gotten their hands on this. This looks horrible.

so filming footage out... do we have an idea on release?

I'll be the odd man out here and say that I was a little bit relieved when I saw the clip. Now, I know it's only a teeny clip and I'll reserve final judgement when it comes out-but I was hoping for something along the lines of the home video where Michael is reading to the kids. Something real. I've watched it a couple of times and I think the reason I was OK with it was because I really have been expecting the worst-something on the order of Flex with that white makeup or even the Bashir doc where Michael was sometimes putting on a show for him, and it was edited so that he became a parody of himself.

Also, I was expecting it to be horrible because I've only seen pictures of Navi in his Michael makeup and they're hideous-and this was much more natural looking-and he's not an actor (I think only a good actor could pull this off)-and it's LIFETIME.
On the plus side, the makeup job is pretty good, his voice is fair, and he kinda stands like Michael in the little scene where he's listening to the kids. And it looks like they spent some big bucks on that set and Suzanne is involved. So I'm hoping for the best.

It still won't hold a candle to An American Dream-but I hope it's not the disaster the other Lifetime movies have been.

The actor looks terrible and sounds worse. This is just wrong and embarrassing. I hope this is cancelled. I will not be watching that crap. The only thing I feel will work is actually footage of MJ into a documentary why can't the just do that? No one should ever play MJ ever. This would have to be approved by the estate right? If they say this is a go I question if they are qualified to make any decisions.

The actor looks terrible and sounds worse. This is just wrong and embarrassing. I hope this is cancelled. I will not be watching that crap. The only thing I feel will work is actually footage of MJ into a documentary why can't the just do that? No one should ever play MJ ever. This would have to be approved by the estate right? If they say this is a go I question if they are qualified to make any decisions.
I don't think the Estate has to give approval-same as an unauthorized biography. They would only have to approve if they used Michael's music.
This is based on the bodyguards' book, so they're involved.

I think resemblence is not what makes someone qualified to play MJ. I would rather go with less resemblence but with good acting skills and someone who can capture the spirit of MJ. I think Wylie Draper did a respectable job there even though he didn't resemble MJ that much. But he still was able to play him credibly.

Wylie Draper did a better job than any of these impersonators

He was a real dancer and favored Michael Jackson as Michael looked in his natural state, pre surgery....the way he was born unto the earth to look

Last edited:

The problem with MJ impersonators is they are usually just fans with an obsession. They have no real talent or presence to pull off a performer like Michael Jackson. Because Michael is so popular, there are that many more copycats.
There are better dancers and there are better singers but hard to find the total package.

Some may praise Navi for what he does, but I think he is just an extreme case of trying to be something he is not. It's a bit unsettling knowing that I'm looking at someone who underwent surgery to permanently look like that instead of using movie makeup. I think he should just remain a Vegas act and not try to be an actor in a movie no matter what format it is.

I don't get it at all why there have to be those kinds of documentaries. From what I saw.. the clip with the kids.. I mean, it's all out there already, with MICHAEL and with his REAL kids. Why restage those moments when the reality can be seen on YouTube? Michael speaks for himself, you can see his kindness and tenderness as a father. Why put words in his mouth that he may never have said?

I mean, maybe the documentary is ok etc., we'll have to wait and see. But I really don't get it. Watch videos like the PHMs, there you have Michael being himself, being a prankster and a wonderful father to his children. There's just no need for anything else.

And honestly.. no matter how hard you try.. can you EVER do him justice? You just can't.

Thanks for the footage. It confirms my belief that this is gonna be a hot mess ?

Longer and even more horrible version.
MJ is yelling at Blanket which isn't even in the book!
Enjoy.

http://www.etonline.com/movies/2113...time_michael_jackson_searching_for_neverland/

This is just unreal. Even when something is done with the best intentions with people who really liked and respected MJ
(Bill Withfield, Navy and Suzanne de passe) it still ends up being nothing but a ridiculous caricature.

Omg okay, this is horrible. :/

I just don't get how accorate of a Michael protrayle people would expect! At the very least they picked someone that has actually studied Michael and has spent a decent amount of time with the man.. Lets not forget Navi is a fan first. At that I would think he'd work as hard as possible (This in the end of the day will probably go down as what he is known for). This is his MJ role of a lifetime (pun intended) ;) and I'm sure he took this with as much seriousness as he could - and hopefully does come off as a positive/nuetera protrayle of Michael.

In my opinion, there's just no need for those kinds of documentaries/biopics. You ask how an accurate portrayal might look like. Well, we have Michael for that, don't we?
I'm not saying Navi's intentions are bad, it's just that noone will ever be able to do Michael justice. Michael is Michael.

I really like the Spike Lee documentaries because they are real documentaries with interviews and anecdotes from people who loved him and who spent time with him. I just don't like others to portray Michael because it will always look and sound weird in a way, no matter how hard you try. I sincerely hope this film isn't in any way defamatory and I'm happy if it isn't. But it just doesn't work for me.

Last edited:

Well, there's a huge difference between documentaries and biopics. Biopics can take creative and dramatic license.
Don't forget that American Dream was a biopic, not a documentary.

Last edited:

Yeah, I know. That's why I'm not that fond of American Dream either. :)

Biopics can take creative and dramatic license.
and that's why.

Maybe I'm oversensitive here, but there are so many things that went utterly wrong in the past concerning 'true and honest portrayals of the KOP's life' (or whatever you may call it), that I just don't want to see his life tarnished over and over again.
It's this 'creative and dramatic license' that people take advantage of and usually very much to Michael's disadvantage.

Just let him speak for himself. That's the 'truest' version we'll get of him. :)

Last edited:

Longer and even more horrible version.
MJ is yelling at Blanket which isn't even in the book!
Enjoy.

http://www.etonline.com/movies/2113...time_michael_jackson_searching_for_neverland/

This is just unreal. Even when something is done with the best intentions with people who really liked and respected MJ
(Bill Withfield, Navy and Suzanne de passe) it still ends up being nothing but a ridiculous caricature.

Ridiculous Caricature = Ratings, best intentions my ass, all they care about is the $$$$$$$$$

hmmm, I usually don't follow the News anymore :eek: but this was shared on MJ Social book and it sparked my interest!

My Humble answer :blush:

"He's a real nice bloke though. I once met him during a fan event and he was so sweet and humble. He exactly took quite an effort to take a clear piccie with me taking you by the waist and leading you to the 'right' spot for that lasting memory. I'm glad it's him ? Though, I have to agree with you that E'Cas would have been a wonderful choice too if you go for 'looks' only as you know E'Cas did a 'cameo' for MJ in "Who is it" but E'Cas is not really 'Mike Like' to 'represent' MJ in a movie so If you go for looks and feels, Navi is the BEST choice."

The Jacksons American Dream was exceptional. Ratings went through the roof. Everyone rushed home to watch that. That thing was 3-4 year project and it wasnt controlled or produced by outsiders. There's not going to anything to top that other than that other than we finally get the absolute truth as to what happened to Michael Jackson over the course of the past 30 years

Last edited:

I am personally a fan of biopics in general.. I love getting a visual to a story, for example I am looking forward to 'Genius' the story of Albert Einstein. Id say it's the same for me with Michael (in fact more).. Now the big difference for me is that I (not literally) KNOW Michael Jackson.. It's much harder for me to view in a non defensive, critical point of view.. I'll be looking out for BS. while with other biopics I am not... Aside from usual cheesiness from lifetime movies lol

Back