First words of Black or white

I think I figured it out! "I took my baby on a Saturday dinner." But elongated to fit the rhythm.

it isn't saturday bang? like an amazing saturday night lol Have i been making things up for the past 23 years? lol

It's like in They Don't Care About Us, you hear, "Don't you say that I f****d a baby", this is even on the radio edit, I think his ambiguous take on lyrics was quite intelligent.

it isn't saturday bang? like an amazing saturday night lol Have i been making things up for the past 23 years? lol

That's cos that's what it is. The lyrics say so, his mouth says so plus the final clue is that he says the words Saturday bang.

He definitely says "Saturday bang." Yes, Tony. I agree with you. :laugh:

sounds like hes singing 'I took my baby on saturday' he just like drags out the word saturday the way hes singing it. He holds the end of saturday as in he sings I took my baby on saturdayyyyyy! if you get me well thats how it sounds to me anyway on the album version

Last edited:
I've been singing Saturday Bang since the album came out when I was 4 and I ain't changing it now ;)

I used to say bang too, but now I definitely hear dinner.

Listen to it in the acapella and TII, folks. It's "bang". :)

i dont hear bang or anything after saturday i just think he holds the end of the word saturday. Bille jean lyrics are pretty clear you can defo hear hes singing billie jean is not my lover. when i was a small kid this is stupid kinda embrassing to in thriller i thought he sungg cause this is siller or something lol

Listen to it in the acapella and TII, folks. It's "bang". :)

the performance in THIS IS IT is incredible, would like to see the other renditions! blue shirt and dragon shirt/sunglasses performances etc.

I was just listening to this song & was about to make a new thread until I saw this.... can SOMEONE PLEASE HELP WITH THAT 1ST BAR!?

It sounds like “I took my baby on a Saturday bang.” No idea what the hell is a Saturday bang lol.

I hear Saturday “bang”. That’s what I’ve been hearing for 30 years. I’ve always thought it meant Saturday “date”.

Count me in the "I took my baby on a Saturday date" crowd as well......

Reactions: MJ5
When did he say this? I think that is incorrectt. They said that Michael recorded many vocal takes for this song, as he always does for good measure, but they ended up using the first take on the album.
Unlike his usual practice, Michael Jackson did not record many vocal takes for this song but only one.

This only one vocal take was recorded at the early recording sessions of the album, and it ended up being used on the finished version of the song.

"After the first few days of working on it, we really had the core of the song, the verses, the chorus, and Michael sang it really early on" (Bill Bottrell, 2015)

Bill Bottrell had also stated:

"Michael performed a scratch vocal … for me the best thing about 'Black Or White' was that his scratch vocal remained untouched throughout the next year and ended up being used on the finished song" (Bill Bottrell, 2004)

Bill Bottrell immediately found this first vocal take brilliant, Michael Jackson agreed with him and no other vocal takes were later recorded for this song.

I can bet any amount of money that he mumbled something. I had the acapella blasting on my monitors & he definitely isn't saying Saturday or bang. I hear "I took my baby on a Sarah deh deh" he's definitely mumbling. Not sure how producers or engineers let that stay

Unlike his usual practice, Michael Jackson did not record many vocal takes for this song but only one.

This only one vocal take was recorded at the early recording sessions of the album, and it ended up being used on the finished version of the song.

"After the first few days of working on it, we really had the core of the song, the verses, the chorus, and Michael sang it really early on" (Bill Bottrell, 2015)

Bill Bottrell had also stated:

"Michael performed a scratch vocal … for me the best thing about 'Black Or White' was that his scratch vocal remained untouched throughout the next year and ended up being used on the finished song" (Bill Bottrell, 2004)

Bill Bottrell immediately found this first vocal take brilliant, Michael Jackson agreed with him and no other vocal takes were later recorded for this song.
Again... not true... This Demo just proves this is another vocal tgake with mispelled lyrics...

The vocals sounds the same though, doesn't it?

It seems like they did keep some of the vocals from this demo on the final version - that’s probably what Bill Bottrell meant.

Back