FOUR DEMOS!? Is this a joke?

I'm very interested in the Planet Earth poem. I used to read it out loud to myself a lot. Demos are also interesting...and of course the new song.
But I'm not feeling much excitement about this album. A release without Michael is just not it. :(

Is there anyone that can give SONY some competition? I'm sure SONY does not own all the unreleased tracks from MJ and somebody has some stuff. Can other sources with Unreleased MJ music make a album and release it with the Estates permission and cut a deal?

I mean they should be able to do this cause MJ only owed SONY 1 more album and then he was free. He said that back in what was it 2005 or around that time and it was a greatest hits package..so that means #1's completed that deal.

I would seriously release an MJ album on the same day with unheard tracks..just to piss Sony off. Even if they are not complete and MJ sounds good on them. I would release it.

:smilerolleyes:

Interesting how TII includes a J5 Medley as part of the set-list, but the "true to the set-list" OST omits all three songs (even though TUC and Essential both incorporated Motown recordings), meanwhile a new Motown release includes a never before heard.... J5 Medley!! :-/

"Greatest Hits" compilations will continue to be released. That's just the truth. This IS a business. Everyone wants to hear all the unreleased tracks & demos that MJ accumulated throughout his entire career. As much as I want albums of nothing but unreleased tracks & demos, that wouldn't be thinking realistically (not saying it can't happen). I think Sony will just keep re-releasing his solo albums (anniversary/special edition discs) for years to come, and sprinkle them with a few bonus tracks here and there. How smart would it be (financially and for MJ's legacy) to just put everything out in a short span of time and then, basically say, THIS IS IT (pun intended). People are still discovering/rediscovering MJ's music everyday, so there will always be an audience willing to buy these albums over and over again.

I'm not saying they should never release any greatest hits or re-release anything ever again but you have to admit its ridiculous the amount of times within the last 10 years that Sony have released greatest hits packages and re-released things, these are the ones I can think of from the top of my head:

Greatest Hits - HIStory Vol 1 (2001)
Off The Wall: Special Edition (2001)
Thriller: Special Edition (2001)
BAD: Special Edition (2001)
Dangerous: Special Edition (2001)
Number Ones (2003)
The Ultimate Collection (2004)
The Essential Michael Jackson (2005)
Visionary (2006)
re-release of Number Ones in cardboard sleeve (2007)
Thriller 25 (2008)
King Of Pop (2008)
The Collection (2009)

and now This Is It. Now no-one can tell me that this is too many greatest hits and re-release packages in a space of less than 10 years.

Last edited:
I'm not saying they should never release any greatest hits or re-release anything ever again but you have to admit its ridiculous the amount of times within the last 10 years that Sony have released greatest hits packages and re-released things, these are the ones I can think of from the top of my head:

Number Ones (2003)
Visionary (2007)
Thriller 25 (2008)
King Of Pop (2008)
The Collection (2009)

and now This Is It. Now no-one can tell me that this is too many greatest hits and re-release packages in a space of less than 10 years.

Notice it's all in the 2000's. I wonder This Is It will be the last greatest hits CD they'll do. Hope full that is.:yes:

Number Ones (2003)
Visionary (2007)
Thriller 25 (2008)
King Of Pop (2008)
The Collection (2009)

+ Rerelease of number ones - 2007
And now This Is It...

Ps: Visionary was released in 2006...

So the CD will come out worldwide w/ a 36 photo booklet with 4 ''new'' demo's? Damn.

A booklet with pictures we already have for years.
No I won't "buy" this album.

You have to remember, this is NOT a Michael Jackson album, This IS the soundtrack to the film "This Is It", which just happens to be about Michael Jackson's last rehearsal before his untimely death.

You'll have to wait at least a year before you see Michael's new album (I reckon we'll see an album of new stuff in 2011)

I agree with you
it is a soundtrack with music inspired from the movie. a soundtrack album does not cantain a full cd with unreleased/brand new songs only. ( examples: Titanic soundtrack, pearl harbor soundtrack, only music from the film nothing more.)
if another label had the rights of "this is it movie" they would have release almost the same, because it is only a soundtrack album from the movie.

I also want a mj album with brand new songs, THIS IS IT soundtrack was never meant to be an album with brand new songs on it.
We will have to wait for some years for a brand new album with new songs on it.

but anyway
i know alotttttttttt of fans are dissapointed but
all fans have the right to choose what they will do,
- if they don't want to buy it, fine with me! (of course someone that has all greatest hits album of mj does not need to buy this if they want)
- if they want to buy it, fine with me! ( there are some people that don't have all his albums or don;t have any of his albums , like my mother, she wants this album, so I will be buying it for her)

p.s: let all of us respect each other, if someone want to buy this album, don' t criticize them, let them make there own choice.
and if someone don't want to buy this, lets also respect that

wow. I am quite disappointed. But what more could we have expected? Sony's main purpose is to make as much money off of MJ at the fan's expense. I'm really not sure if I want to purchase this album, it seems like I'm going to be spending money on something that I already have just for a new song and demos. However, that picture booklet sure as hell sounds tempting.

on amazon .uk theres a picture of the 2 discs and there are 6 different years listed on the disc . so there might be 6 tracks 79, 82, 87, 91, 95, 09.

you can zoom in on the picture

Last edited:
on amazon .uk theres a picture of the 2 discs and there are 6 different years listed on the disc . so there might be 6 tracks 79, 82, 87, 91, 95, 09.

you can zoom in on the picture

I just think those years are referring to when the material that's on the two discs was originally released since Off The Wall was released in 1979, Thriller in 1982, BAD in 1987, Dangerous in 1991, HIStory in 1995 and obviously the This Is It songs have never been released before and so its the first time they are being released hence 2009.

just a side note: i understand korgnex's argument. companies DONT care. doesn't meant they SHOULDN'T care... i know its about money but there are still some companies out there that aren't entirely about rehashing material.

and lets not forget, mj's estate is to blame as well. they give the okay for everything. look at radiohead: they basically gave away their last album. coldplay has been giving away stuff from viva la vida over the last few year or so (they gave us free cds as a thankyou for spending money to see them live in concert).

part of the reason i think we're seeing SO FEW new tracks is that the estate is planning something big. i have a feeling the "unreleased" stuff sony "has" is probably just demos to songs that have been released already (notice how all these unreleased tracks are demos of released songs not ENTIRELY NEW tracks). i have a feeling the NEW material (be they in complete or demo form) will come in the coming years from jacksons camp and NOT from sony, while sony will continue to add a few new songs to a yearly greatest hits compilation.

also for the fans wanting to give michael another number one: in most countries greatest hits compilations dont count (i'm pretty sure). while there may be some loophole since this is a soundtrack, I'm pretty sure that while he could have another number one on the charts the album cant break any real records because it's a greatest hits (hense the old thirller vs. eagles greatest hits arguments).

of course if they actually released this is it as an effing single that'd be a different story.

just a side note: i understand korgnex's argument. companies DONT care. doesn't meant they SHOULDN'T care... i know its about money but there are still some companies out there that aren't entirely about rehashing material.

and lets not forget, mj's estate is to blame as well. they give the okay for everything. look at radiohead: they basically gave away their last album. coldplay has been giving away stuff from viva la vida over the last few year or so (they gave us free cds as a thankyou for spending money to see them live in concert).

part of the reason i think we're seeing SO FEW new tracks is that the estate is planning something big. i have a feeling the "unreleased" stuff sony "has" is probably just demos to songs that have been released already (notice how all these unreleased tracks are demos of released songs not ENTIRELY NEW tracks). i have a feeling the NEW material (be they in complete or demo form) will come in the coming years from jacksons camp and NOT from sony, while sony will continue to add a few new songs to a yearly greatest hits compilation.

also for the fans wanting to give michael another number one: in most countries greatest hits compilations dont count (i'm pretty sure). while there may be some loophole since this is a soundtrack, I'm pretty sure that while he could have another number one on the charts the album cant break any real records because it's a greatest hits (hense the old thirller vs. eagles greatest hits arguments).

of course if they actually released this is it as an effing single that'd be a different story.

So diappointed :( I'm not going to buy this one...

As I said before.. This will be nothing but a greatest hits release. I thought they would use the live rehearsal versions on disc one... but the album version!? *lol* this is really a bad joke....

They released tons of compilations in the last years!? now another one!? *gg* man this is really sad :(

I'll buy this for sure.

Gotta make in #1. - Come on folks.

by buying greatist hits albums so there will be mroe greatist hits albums, and more and more so people get sick of it?
I don't see this set as a greatest hits album. I see it as a soundtrack

and no matter if we buy it or not, there's gonna be greatest hits albums :lol: and we're gonna see alot more of them in the next couple of years. That's the way of the music industry these days

and no matter if we buy it or not, there's gonna be greatest hits albums :lol: and we're gonna see alot more of them in the next couple of years. That's the way of the music industry these days

I don't know any other artists that have had as many greatest hits albums released in such a short time period as MJ.

well then you haven't seen the amount of greatest hits re-releases Queen have done over the last couple of years. Too many to count and a new one coming up next month. And also they add a tiny thing to make fans want to buy it. They're working the same way as Sony.

Yes... but Freddy Mercury died 20 years ago. Not 4 months ago.

It's one thing to release a compilation album of new material fans have never heard before. Another to re-release stuff we all already have several copies of.

Sony stated they didn't want to do this right away as a sign of respect - obviously that was a lie. They didn't do it right away so they could work out the legal wranglings. The minute everything was sorted out we got a new compilation disc.

Hell, a few weeks after michael passed The Collection appeared in stores and a non-country specific "King of Pop" compilation - something we in Canada were never supposed to get.

Hmm seems to me that the this is it song isnt even ready for release! its not finished!
Stupid sony!

I don't know any other artists that have had as many greatest hits albums released in such a short time period as MJ.
Marvin Gaye, James Brown, and MANY Motown stars

The Jackson 5 had about 9 compilations released in Europe, Japan, and the US by 1976

Back