Ghosts should get a proper release - with 1993 footage and all

HIStory

Proud Member
I just read this interview from 2009:

[h=1]The Cold Case: Director Mick Garris on Michael Jackson's Forgotten Ghosts[/h]

Comments: 13 || Add Yours

Exhausted by endless replays of Thriller? Fed up with CNN treating Michael Jacksons's "ghost" as actual news ? This week, a special edition of The Cold Case talks to Mick Garris about 1997's Ghosts, the all-but-forgotten 38-minute film he created with Michael Jackson, the late Stan Winston and horror legend Stephen King.
In the 24/7 media meltdown that surrounded Michael Jackson's untimely death, it appeared that every clip of the superstar was unearthed, dusted off and replayed over and over. Even so, somehow, every story or tribute package led to 1983's Thriller, that game-changing 14-minute horror short that remains the highest-selling music video of all time. We should probably be grateful that the networks didn't have a working VCR and a copy of 1997's Ghosts, lest we be subject to an immediate overload of TV talking heads' endless analysis of what it meant and, God forbid, what it predicted.
To be fair, this 38-minute short film, not so much a sequel to Thriller than an operatic bookend, lends itself to such discussion. In it, Michael Jackson depicts himself as a misunderstood monster who's persecuted by those who love and hate him -- led by himself. The singer messes with his face, turns white, dies, is resurrected and moonwalks as a skeleton. Most poignantly, Jackson asks his fans and followers whether they've been scared and whether they've had fun. The answers are yes and yes.
Early in his career, Mick Garris, creator of the Masters Of Horror TV series and director of Stephen King adaptations such as The Shining and The Stand, and his wife Cynthia donned zombie make-up for Thriller. A decade later, Garris became part of the team that put Ghosts together. He spoke with Movieline recently about developing the project, working with his formidable creative partners and how Jackson battled monsterdom both onscreen and in real life.
First things first: How did you come to be a zombie in Thriller?
John Landis had already been a friend for several years. We actually met when I was a receptionist for the original Star Wars at an off-lot office at Universal. John's office was next door to mine when he was prepping Animal House. And Rick and his wife at the time, Elaine, had been very close friends and neighbors to me and Cynthia. So when they invited us, we came running. I was a hopeful writer then, doing publicity for studios and the like, just starting to get screenwriting jobs.
Was there the sense that you were seeing pop-culture history being made?
We knew we were doing something special, but had no idea just how special. We knew it was a much bigger scale than music videos at the time had been, and so much different than the usual 1980s performance things. But watching Michael come alive on that first night I was there was electrifying. I became a fan right there.
Did you become friends with Michael Jackson then?
We did not become friends at that point. Later on, when I was shooting The Stand, Stephen King and Michael put together a script for another scary music video -- one with huge scale, even compared to Thriller. King recommended me for it, and that's where I really met Michael on a one-to-one basis. We became friends through that experience.
What did you think Michael wanted to achieve with Ghosts?
Michael wanted to make the biggest, scariest music film ever. Well, I don't know that that's what happened; you can't really be scary in this context, but it's huge, the music and dancing are great, and it's quite the spectacle. And it definitely got its point across. That theme of the outcast stranger that he and King created was important, and stayed the focus through various incarnations.
How did you get involved, and how did the collaboration between you, Michael, Stan Winston and Stephen King work?
I was actually the original director. It was begun in 1993, and I worked with him throughout pre-production and two weeks of production. It shut down for three years before resuming under Stan Winston, who was doing the effects work when I was directing. I recommended him to finish shooting when it resumed, as I was about to shoot The Shining. So yeah, I was on set a lot. But I was not there when the production continued in 1996. I'd get midnight calls from Michael, who was so passionate about finishing it, making it special. He and Stan had become friends way back when they did The Wiz together.

In the beginning, he and Steve did the script together, and I wasn't really privy to what went on then. It was when it was greenlit that Michael and I and Stan would get together for hours on end, planning the complicated effects as well as the music and storytelling. But it started as something completely different. Nobody knows this, but it was originally going to be a video to promote Addams Family Values. In fact, Christina Ricci and the boy who played Pugsley were both in it. We shot for two weeks and never got to the musical numbers. It was very expensive and ambitious. And when the first so-called scandal happened, it was when we were shooting. Suddenly, Michael was out of the country, and the studio no longer wanted him to help promote that film.
What does it mean to you now that Stan and Michael are both gone?
It's incredibly sad, of course, and really tragic. Stan was a very talented and funny and friendly man. But I was closer to Michael, spent more time with him. It really breaks my heart to see what happened to him. He was always very fragile, had lots of trouble sleeping. He reminded me a lot of Don McLean's song about Vincent Van Gogh. The world can be mean, and Michael didn't have a mean bone in him. Very vulnerable and sweet. And what most people don't realize is how smart he was and especially how funny he could be. A very witty, explosively talented guy.
Did Michael hope Ghosts would break out as big as Thriller?
Michael always seemed to hope to make something that would be huge. He thought big, because his whole life seemed to be surrounded by magnitude. I don't know what his hopes were in terms of comparing it with Thriller, but I know he thought it would be very special.
Ghosts and Thriller see him as a charismatic, playful "monster". Do you think he kept having fun with that reputation, even when the media turned on him?
He was very playful with that image, though as the press got meaner, he was definitely hurt by it, and pulled back and became more reclusive. But though we were friends, it wasn't like I saw him all the time. A couple years could go by without seeing or speaking with one another, but when we did, we always had a good time.
Where were you when you heard he'd died? What did you immediately think and feel?
I was driving in my car when I heard on the radio that he'd been found unconscious and had been rushed to the hospital. I was stunned, of course, like everyone. Then, about an hour or so later, when I heard it rumored that he had died, I just couldn't believe it. It took a couple of days for it to sink in. Maybe it was inevitable, I don't know. I just know that he was fragile, sensitive, and an incredibly sweet and generous guy. It broke my heart, just like it broke the world's. And I really felt for his kids, who are terrific and unspoiled in a way you wouldn't imagine. At least, they were when I last saw them a couple of years ago.
As someone who knew him, what's your reaction to the 24/7 speculation and media coverage?
I don't know, I hate to speculate. I know he had his demons, fears, fragility. I really wasn't exposed to the drug usage or any of that stuff. It was not that intimate a relationship. All I know is that he was someone I liked a lot, and was privileged to know and work with, and I miss him. Even though I hadn't seen him in a couple of years, it always seemed like we'd be getting together again soon to talk about movies, and laugh and joke and have fun. It makes me so sad that it won't ever happen again.
Did you see the loneliness and sadness claimed to have been his constant companion?
One of my earliest meetings with him was in New York, where he had a penthouse apartment in the Trump Towers. He was so very lonely. He'd take me to the window and point down at Fifth Avenue below and tell me he'd give anything to be able to just walk down there and go into the shops, but he couldn't. I went out to visit him in Orlando, and was surprised to find that I was the only one, other than staff, that was around with him. There was nobody but us for a couple of days. I don't think he had a lot of close friends, people who didn't want something from him.
Your enduring memory of him will be...?
Making him laugh. When Michael laughed, when you got to him for more than just that giggle behind the hand, it was a sight to see. He just loved to laugh, and it was fun to tease him gently. Maybe one of my favorite memories was on the set of Ghosts; we'd finish a take, and if I wanted another, I'd put on Bullwinkle's voice and say, "This time for sure!" The first time, he just laughed and laughed and laughed. Then he'd keep asking, even after the good takes: "Mick, do Bullwinkle!" That's how I like to remember him.
Will Ghosts get a DVD release now?
I hope so. It was hugely expensive, and never released in the United States. He paid for it out of his own pocket, too. So I don't know who owns it. But I think people would love it. It changed a lot from the time that I worked on it to the time it was finished, but it's quite an accomplishment. I'd love to see it available. The only copy of it I have was one I came across in a music store in Hong Kong, on the old VCD format. It deserves better. ?

http://movieline.com/2009/07/14/the...-garris-on-michael-jacksons-forgotten-ghosts/

It's very sad that Ghosts is so overlooked, it never even got a proper DVD/Blue-ray release. The thing that is news to me from this interview the part about the 1993 version - ie. apparently there was some two weeks worth of footage made for that version before the allegations hit and everything was put on hold.

I think a DVD/Blue-Ray release of Ghosts should look like this:

- The short movie
- Making of
- The 1993 footage
- Other outtakes (ie. like what leaked a couple of months ago with Michael dancing while having sensors on his body)
- Maybe a documentary explaining the original and the final version, their differences etc.

I never knew that they begun filming in 93. So much from 1993, plans, movies, music has still not been shared with the public. MJ was about to do big things that year.

Isin't there some legal hurdles in the way of a Ghosts release? I heard something about Kingdom Entertainment etc. I would love for a release like this. I have always vehemently expressed my love for Ghosts, Michael at his prime!

Can someone tell me why even at the time, this massive spectacle of a short film was almost treated as an afterthought?

Off hand, I remember this movie was attached to the Stephen King movie Thinner. It played before that movie in theaters.

And then, that was kind of it.

It was sort-of released overseas on VHS and it wouldn't be until YEARS later that it would finally air in the US on VH1 i think around the Invincible era.

Wtf??
Why did they never release it on video or put it on TV sometime after the theater screening??

I'm not even a big fan of the short film, tbh. The short 3 minute edit sums up the best parts, but still...

You're right, it didn't ever get the attention it truly deserved but it was released on video in the UK both individually and as part of the box set. It was shown on television in Europe as well back in 1997.

I remember it getting a big premiere in Sydney at the time and Michael took it to Cannes as well. Events like that served to keep his profile up.

It is often compared to Thriller because of the horror theme, but I prefer Ghosts to Thriller because the story has so much more layers to it. Also the choreography is a lot greater.

I agree that it's so criminally neglected.

Apparently these are from Ghosts 1993:

ghosts1993.jpg

ghosts1993_2.jpg

I'd love it to be released too, I used to watch it over and over as a kid, it had been on TV and my Mother recorded it for me. In 2009 it was on Foxtel here in Australia so I recorded it. We had issues with things not working properly later on and had to reset it and everything on the planner was lost so I haven't got it anymore :(

It's one of my all time faves...And now, Ghost footage from 1993 ?...I'd love to to see that too. Oh so much missed. They stole so much time.

It is often compared to Thriller because of the horror theme, but I prefer Ghosts to Thriller because the story has so much more layers to it. Also the choreography is a lot greater.

ghosts1993.jpg

ghosts1993_2.jpg

That's cool, Dangerous era Mike in Ghosts! I wonder what songs and what dancemoves/choreography would have been used if they had finished it in 93..

ghosts1993.jpg

ghosts1993_2.jpg

The second image comes from an unreleased promotional video for "Addams Family Values". I think it's a video with "Is It Scary", but I'm not sure.

ghosts1993.jpg

ghosts1993_2.jpg

Thank you! I have never seen these before. When they release Ghosts again they need to include this version too.

i adore everything of the dangerous era. just give us that footage of 93, estate!

I agree. There really ought to be some sort of home release of Ghosts, maybe on Blu-Ray with the features that respect77 mentioned. I also suggest another documentary of surviving people who's worked on Ghosts. Perhaps interviews with some of the dancers, the composer of the score, some of the children (who are now adults), and so on. Also, to go with the behind the scenes footage, they could add footage of them applying the Mayor's make-up to Michael, footage of him screwing around in and out of the make-up on set. Of course, they can also add the footage of his doing his mocap scenes. Also, footage of them shooting scenes in general. And it would be nice if each bit of footage were long in terms of length.

Oh, and maybe a workprint version of Ghosts as well (a rough cut with either no visual effects or rough VFX).

Its almost criminal that Ghosts hasnt been acknowledged by a proper DVD release!
One of Michael most greatest short films, in terms of dancing and visual aspects.
So much is taken from ghosts in videos by other artists these days and the public simply isnt aware of.

Its almost criminal that Ghosts hasnt been acknowledged by a proper DVD release!
One of Michael most greatest short films, in terms of dancing and visual aspects.
So much is taken from ghosts in videos by other artists these days and the public simply isnt aware of.
So right, esp in this video.
[youtube]6tpl9LtkRRw[/youtube]

To Do-List for the Estate:

- Ghosts DVD/Bluray release
- 2 Disc set of unreleased material from 2005-2009
xD

It's undeniable the 1996 version is such a masterpiece. The story is deeper, the choreography and special effects are more elaborated and brilliant but I'd love to see what Michael had in mind for the 1993 version and I also love Christina Ricci as Wednesday Addams. It's indeed criminal Ghosts hasn't get the proper recognition and acclaim it deserves but we have to blame the mother f*cking Chandlers, the mother f*cking media and the imbecile lawyers who advised Michael to settle. Because of it his image continuous to be tarnished and his work outrageously ignored by the media and general public.

I really hope the 1993 version can see the light but I assume the Estate is saving it in order to have releasable material over the years.

Do we know just how much into the process the 93 filming got into?
Like was it basically going to be the same movie, just delayed? or what?

I don't think it was going to be the exact short film. It was meant to promote The Addams Family Values movie, therefore Wednesday and Pugsley needed to have more importance than the kids in Ghosts 1996. Also it seems the development of the project began before Michael was accused, he hadn't met that snake Sneddon yet either. Probably the only premise in common with both versions was Michael portrying himself as an outcast and misunderstood human being knowing the Is It Scary lyrics.

There should be a HIStory/Ghosts re-release with a live HIStory Tour Blu-Ray, DTS 7.1 Audio, Original HIStory album, Blood On The Dancefloor EP & Unreleased song's from 1993-1998! someone who worked on HIStory said there is around 50 tracks that are unreleased that Michael worked on! They can choose the most complete 8 song's including seeing voices! demo's of Earth Song, You Are Not Alone & Stranger In Moscow! Ghosts Blu-Ray with the 1996 More Scary Version as the main feature, Bonus' Could include the 1993 footage, behind the scenes, making of featurette, dance rehearsals, make up sessions etc.! There's some great thing's that could be done..

http://www.soundstation.dk/images/products/large/40/125740-a.jpg
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e...-HIStoryGhosts-Front_zpsaf474ef9.jpg~original

Last edited:
Would you guys be open about having them redo all the special effects with state of the art technology? That would be amazing

I hope not. The original short film should be released like Michael left it. :)

I agree. I just feel that if the CGI or anything else were re-done, the short film may just lose it's magic. Beside, the special effects were already done with state of the art technology...well, state of the art for 1996 but still. :)

Last edited:
Back