Greatest SoundTrack Songs ever?

this is a bit of the score for the 1976 film The Message (about Islam's beginnings), composed by the genius Arab-Frenchman Maurice Jarre (Lawrence of Arabia, Doctor Zhivago, A Passage to India, Dead Poets Society and Ghost) :

i love listening to a lot of 70s movie scores because they paved the way in for atmospheric music and use of lush synthesiser pads in other genres.

and this is Yusuf Islam (Cat Stevens) showing a piece of the film where they sing the most famous Islamic tune (Moon Rose On Us) and then he sings it himself:

Both of these songs are from the film 'Soul Food'. Probably my second or third favorite soundtrack:

Boyz II Men - A Song For Mama

Milestone (Babyface, K-Ci & JoJo, Kevon Edmonds and Melvin Edmonds (Kenneth "Babyface" Edmonds' brothers) - I Care About You

This is the live version from Babyface's MTV Unplugged video. It is amazing.

Any of Tyler Perry's movies seem to have great soundtracks. Madea's Family Reunion is a soundtrack worth buying. Chaka Kahn, Al Green, Brian McKnight.....and so many more.

This might sound retarted, but whatev. I loooove the Elizabethtown soundtrack. The movie is great too, but the soundtrack is awesome!

And this is a little off guard. I bought the soundtrack for "Children of Men" which is a pretty good movie. But one of the songs is killer cool....and pretty scary.
Give it a listen.
The music is Penderecki's "Threnody for the victims of Hiroshima".

BTW, Halloween is comin' up....this would be a great song to play outside you're house if you're planning on scaring some kids, lol!

This isn't really soundtrack, but the score for Requiem For A Dream is amaziiiiiing. :)
(Plus it's my favorite movie ever.)
The songs are a really integral part of the movie.

Oh I just looooove Grease and Chicago and their soundtracks...I have both on dvd and I cant get enough of them...

Grease especially, cause it has a deep meaning to me...my 1st kiss with my boyfriend was when we were watching Grease... :wub:

The Untouchables [1987] OST

Ennio Morricone, one of the greatest film composers:

2zpquj5.jpg

i love Ennio Morricone.

this is my fav soundtrack

51flzLWUtkL._SL160_.jpg

music composed by Philip Glass

one of the most atmospheric movies i’ve seen, and i can’t imagine it without this music. the first thing i had to do after watching it was to get the soundtrack - it was the only time something like that happened to me lol.
it’s all instrumental classical music - piano, violins and chamber orchestra - very
sad, dark, depressive yet beautiful, haunting, powerful and relaxing.

The Poet Acts

Morning Passages

Why Does Someone Have To Die

The Hours

Donkey Rhubarb (EP) [1995]

that is beautiful, Agnes. quite similar to Morricone.

just read the Wiki link you put in for Glass, and saw an unlikely pairing with one of my favourite electronic music artists, Aphex Twin. and it's one of my fav tracks from him too, i never knew an alternate version was orchestrated by Glass until today.

WAP63.jpg

Aphex Twin - Icct Hedral (Philip Glass Remix)

Last edited:
^ ahh, cool. that Icct Hedral has also a very repetitive main structure yet it doesn’t become boring within 8-minutes track because of new instruments (and vocals) being added gradually. and a sudden change of the tune in the middle of the track lasts long enough to make the rest of the track sound as fresh as at the beginning. great composition.

more Morricone - The Mission [1986]

413CSWNC4SL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

my fav are Chi Mai (from Chi Mai) and Le Vent, le Cri (from the Professional)

i love Ennio Morricone.

this is my fav soundtrack

51flzLWUtkL._SL160_.jpg

music composed by Philip Glass

one of the most atmospheric movies i’ve seen, and i can’t imagine it without this music. the first thing i had to do after watching it was to get the soundtrack - it was the only time something like that happened to me lol.
it’s all instrumental classical music - piano, violins and chamber orchestra - very
sad, dark, depressive yet beautiful, haunting, powerful and relaxing.

The Poet Acts
http://www.maximum-jackson.com/discussion/audio/audio-player/player.swf

Morning Passages

Why Does Someone Have To Die

The Hours

Oh yes! I love this soundtrack, heck I love the movie too:cheers:

I was just thinking the other day I love some of the biggest hits from films, and you know I've got them on the iPod or whatever and I listen to them and love them.... but when they come up during the course of the film.... and I know them by heart... for some reason hearing them in the film, raises the hair on the back of my neck.

For example, I love the song "The Wind Beneath My Wings" by Bette Midler, but when I watch Beaches, that song sends all the hairs up on the back of my neck and it feels like it's the first time I've heard it all over again. ^_^

Soooo...... What are your fav soundtracks? or even your favourite songs from movies?

any particular reason for your choices?

I was just thinking about putting this as a thread today when I was transferring some music from my CDs to my new cellphone. I came across my "Dance With Me" CD and had to listen to it again.

To my surprise there is already a thread for it, so...

My most favorite soundtracks are:

"Dance With Me" - I loved this movie and bought the DVD and the soundtrack because of Vanessa Williams' duet with Chayanne ("You Are My Home") is so sweet and the other music, with Gloria Estefan's ("Heaven's What I Feel" & "Tres Deseos (Three Wishes)", Jon Secada's ("Want You, Miss You, Love You"), and the rest is so exciting and it makes me want to dance, i.e., Jazz Machine, "Magalenha", etc.

"Flash Dance" - I loved this movie and bought the DVD and soundtrack because the music was pretty electrifying.

"Eraser" - I loved this movie, again because of Vanessa Williams' role and her 2 songs on the soundtrack. I actually didn't buy the whole soundtrack, only the CD with Vanessa's 2 songs ("Where Do We Go From Here" and "Erase") on it.

"Batman" - I loved this movie and the soundtrack with Prince's Bat Dance song made it worthwhile. I don't own the soundtrack, but I bought the videocassette tape of the movie.

"Satisfaction" - I loved watching this movie and videotaped it from cable. I never bought the soundtrack, thinking about buying the DVD, though. I loved the performances of Justine Bateman, with Julia Roberts and the Girl Band and one guy on keyboards. The songs weren't Top Ten, (except the Rolling Stones' version of Satisfaction) but they were a lot of fun to watch the perform and listen to.

One More Time and Digital Love - Daft Punk
Discovery and Interstella 5555 are amazing :D

Grease
Purple Rain
Waiting To Exhale
Above The Rim
The Wiz
Poetic Justice
Life
Who's That Girl?
Saturday Night Fever
Lambada
A Thin Line Between Love & Hate
Batman
Space Jam
Under The Cherry Moon

Last edited:
The Lord of the Rings, of course, has the best soundtrack ever, Amelie is another favourite. The Holiday had some nice melodies. I like the fictional bands in That Thing You Do and Almost Famous.. I'm sure there's more.

Back