Has Michael used autotune before?

I can't recognize Michael using an auto tuner, however he has used effects to "spice up" his voice.
However, auto tuners can sound natural and be very hard to detect.

To understand what an auto tuner does, listen to any T-pain song or Cher - believe...
In extreme use (as T-Pain and Cher did) the auto tuner will make you sound "robotic" and pitched in notes you can't get out right while you're singing.

why do we need two threads on this lol

Auto-Tune is used by most engineers to correct pitch issues mainly in vocals which is meant to be unnoticeable and to sound "natural". i wouldn't at all be surprised if this was used on Invincible.

the reason it got famous within the public is because T-Pain's producers/engineers started using it in an extreme and noticeable way to get a specific effect. this is rarely done in comparison to how much the actual plugin is used.

auto tune is the source of all evil and most likely the cause of everything thats WRONG in this world.... :(

in what way? if you're talking about the T-Pain/Cher effect then i don't hear it, and if they just used it to perfect the pitch then we're not supposed to hear it lol

I thought it could also be used to add vibrato? The vibrato sounds somewhat unnatural at points.

I think that's what it is and yeah ArX, I meant using it for pitch. It sounds weird to me. Like it's been fully digitized and computerized to fit a vibrato as Superstition pointed out.

im confused.

it makes the voice "natural" or "robotic"
I think if you use is for someone like Rhianna who cant sing well, it make them sound as if she can sing in tune, just listen to the difference from when she performs live gosh its likes shes got hearing problems. But when someone uses it in an extreme way like T-pain for example they sound like a fool sorry robotic

Lol, Yeah but in honesty I just wanted to pick on him lol
I know I'll slap myself on the wrists
I must'nt dislik:
T-pain
Usher
BowWow
Rhianna
Solijah Boy
T-pain
Eminem
T-pain
Justin Timberlake
T-pain
Joss Stone
Kanye-West
50cent
Boy I really dont like alot of artist lol
(why this list is even here? I dunno it has no significance to the topic)
Its not even him I dont like its just the autotune has been used so much is irritating me

lol...yeah..he seems to know it too. from some of the things he says..lol..

he knows that there are people that have a problem with what he does..lol

he says it with a smile...lol..that's what impresses me..:D

Lol I have no idea I havent seen a single clip of him speaking or giving an interview before lol
Edit: but as long as I know he aint getting any money from me I'm quite alright.
If people enjoy it (which they obv do) good from them, just dont play it around me

Last edited:
money, superficial marketing and fads mean sod all when it comes to art. that effect has been around a decade before T-Pain came in and got his producers/engineers to completely substitute it for his mediocre voice. coupled with his backward songwriting, he's the reason why people hate the effect lol

i don't care how many times i quote these:

"You can be so creative with almost nothing. And that's usually the best stuff, when you strip it down to the bare minimum and go inside yourself and invent."

"I don't think people are being experimental and innovative enough. -- I think there's too much cookie-cutter stuff."

"The industry, it's at a crossroads. There's a transformation going on. People are confused, what's going to happen, how to distribute and sell music. -- Right now, all these Starbucks deals and Wal-Mart deals, direct to artist, I don't know if that's the answer. I think the answer is just phenomenal, great music."

Michael Jackson,
Ebony, Dec 2007

haha i didn't buy it either, the photos are dodgy lol

That quote is great.

I love how MJ is so casual about the industry when it's artists like him who are being raped more than almost any other by piracy. Then again he's got more cushion to fall back on. I'm not trying to gloss the problem over, as it can be problematic for some artists. But then you take a look at artists like Metallica and Prince and then you see how humble and how much of a genius MJ is.

probably but not "definitely" lol

Rodney Jerkins admits to using Auto-Tune at the production level. here's a quote from a 2004 interview:

"When I produce, I'm there to make the best thing happen for that artist and give them all I can. Even if they can't sing a lick, I have to make it happen. I've worked with some of the worst singers in the world, but we've had success with them, and at the end of the day, the record company is like, "Wow! How did you get these vocals out of them?" A lot of Pro Tools and [Antares] Auto-Tune. You've got to have a lot of patience. I want the artist to sweat and be mad and say things about me under their breath. Nothing comes easy to get to greatness. My name is going on that record, and I want people to listen to it and say, "Did you hear that song?" It's about hard work and discipline."

but he also said this, in the same interview:

"The last time I used analog was on Michael Jackson in 2000 [Invincible]. He was a little scared of Pro Tools. We tried to get him to use it, but he didn't want to go that route yet and I understand: He came from the school of analog. But experimenting with new toys keeps you ahead of the game.
"

Back