How Old Are You and How Long Have You Been an MJ Fan?

What age group do you fit in?

• 12 and under

Votes: 26 3.1%
  • 13-17

Votes: 139 16.3%
  • 18-24

Votes: 306 36.0%
  • 25-30

Votes: 177 20.8%
  • 31-39

Votes: 112 13.2%
  • 40 and over

Votes: 91 10.7%

• Total voters
Re: How old are you and how long have you been a MJ fan?

ive just turned 21, i had tickets for the this is it tour for my 21st birthday, ive been a fan since i was a baby (i cant remember back then but ive been told)

im 24 and been a fan since i was little - his music has always been around my house with my sister listening to it and my dad had thriller on LP - i remember trying to copy his dance moves as a little kid and jumping around
Also when i was younger i used to have hissy fits(well kind of) and always used to go up to my room after and put on a Mj cassete and really related to his music even at a young age :-(

im 46 and been a fan from the start . when i was 7 i had a record player that my dad got me and the first record i brougt was i want you back. which i still have to day. and my collection hasnt stopped since:angel:

30 years and 30 years. Been a fan since i popped out - my mum has been a fan since michael began, she is 6 years older than him.

30, and I've been a fan since I was 12. Just before the Dangerous era; that time holds happy memories for me.

I'm 30 and I've been a fan since I was 6. I have a picture somewhere of me when I was 6 or 7, grinning like mad, after opening one of my Christmas pressies....it was the Michael Jackson doll. I was super excited!!! I have no idea what caught my interest and made me a fan but my favorite era is definately the Dangerous era. I was a teen then and it made a huge impression on me both creatively and emotionally. I never stopped being a fan because to me, the music has never lost it's touch and each new album was still just as good imo. My biggest regret was going out of state to visit my mom and missing a concert that was close to my dad's. Now I'll never get the chance.

I am 35 and have been a fan ever since seeing the Billie Jean Motown performance on UK TV and going crazy over it, not the moonwalk but the 1st bit was what mesmerized me and from that moment I was hooked, this must have been a repeat because it was nearer to the Bad era and once I got that album it was played to death, I know every single bar down to a tee yet even now I hear new stuff in it, (the musical layers put in by Quincy, Mike and Bruce Swedien have never been equalled on any record, that I have heard).

After a very bad childhood my teenage years were very 'dark' and it was only losing myself in MJs music that really helped me through, nobody around me really 'gets' that.
I always understood where Michael Jackson was coming from and whilst I don't like to covet 'heroes' he was as close to one as I could ever imagine.

im 32 i became a fan in 1991 when i heard Bad for the 1st time. i mean the album. i remember doing my homework that they used to give us at school and i was listening to the Man in the mirror song and doing it

I'll be 31 this year and I've been a fan for.....26 years or so now.

I've been listening to Michael Jackson since I was a kid in 1983. I feel so blessed to have been a part of the Thriller era. It really did feel like a magical time. I'll admit, I was not just a Michael Jackon fan back then, I was totally obsessed, and addicted to the Thriller album from beginning to end.

I will never forget the night Motown 25 special ran on prime-time tv. I was in my bedroom that night when my parents (who knew I was a huge MJ fan) shouted for me down the hallway "David, Michael Jackson's on!". I ran down the hallway and looked over at our tiny little tv to see Michael and his brothers performing the songs I'd been listening to on my K-Tel exclusive "Michael Jackson and the Jackson 5 - 14 Original Greatest Hits" record.

Then after he finished singing with his brothers, I remember seeing him talk (which I'd never seen before) and then came "Billie Jean".....wow. That was the first time I'd seen him in the fedora, the white socks, the glove. And the whole thing just seemed like...I'll say it again...like magic.

And I will also never forget the day my family and I walked into a nearby Wal-Mart (which was torn down last year) and they had this HUGE display filled with hundreds and hundreds of copies of Thriller on cassette tape and LP record. I begged and pleaded with my parents to buy me one and they eventually agreed. I remember clutching onto that cassette tape (with it's plastic security thing attached) all the way home (about 35 miles away). In 1983 and 1984 I wore that tape out. Every song on that album has holds a huge, special significance for me.

Every song on that album takes me back to that old green house we lived in back in those days. Listening to P.Y.T. reminds me of running around in my backyard, carrying my portable tape player around with me. Lady In My Life reminds me of daydreaming in my bedroom, thinking about what it will be like when I grow up, looking forward to having a girlfriend to love. :) Seriously...I know it sounds strange now, but that's the truth. (Thankfully, I'm now happily married to my beautiful wife of ten years lol)

Michael Jackson was EVERYWHERE back then. Every time my family and I would go to the store (even grocery stores and drug stores), there was something having to do with Michael Jackson around. Speaking of drug stores, that was exactly where I found my MJ poster back in 1984. My Mom and I went there and sitting right in the front of the store they were selling 3 different versions of MJ posters. One was him in a brown leather jacket, one was him in white and yellow wearing a sparkly pendant, and I forget what the third one was.

I chose the one in white and yellow seen here:
p1001.jpg

I was so proud to have that poster on my wall.

I also had a red t-shirt that said "Beat It" on it, and I had a jacket with a ton of zippers on it which I called my "Beat It jacket". :)

I could go on and on about memories from the Thriller era. I remember those times as if they were yesterday because I've always held them close to my heart. It was honestly my favorite time in my life....the early 80's. And Michael had a big part in it for me.

Im 33 and Ive been a fan for as long as I can remember.My mum 67 nan who is 89 ,my niece who's 17 and my daughter who's 12 are all also Michael fans. I was lucky enough to go to his dangerous tour in 92.still cant believe he's gone.My niece was due to see him in concert in London.

I'm 17 now, but have been a huge fan since I was about 3 years old. My mom would always play his music and I've considered myself a fan ever since. I remember the first album I ever owned was HIStory. His music is what made me a fan, since at the time I was too young to know really anything else about him, but now the ultimate reason as to why I'm still a fan is not only because of his music but because of him and his efforts to make this world a better place, he has done so much for people around the world. He's a musical genius and he cared about everybody. He has one of the most kindest, caring souls the world has ever known.. :)

I'm 31 and my reason is kinda funny. My sister gave me a micheal jackson bubble gum card and I feel in love he was so gorgeous.

For a very long time. He wanted to take me with his 3 children to the theatre when I was in London in 2006. I could not go due to safety reasons, that was sad. But I still feel honoured that he chose me to go with him and when I think about that special moment today it breaks my heart in million pieces. He was the sweetest person...:( *cries*.

Last edited:

I'm 43, and became a fan in the beginning of the 80s :cheeky:

I´m 35 now and I became a fan when I was just 5 years old... my mom playing my motown records whit diana ross stevie wonder and the jackson 5 ... i think this is the beginning of me to start be a big fan of michael jackson and the jackson 5 :)

I'm 21 and I've been a fan since 1992, I can clearly recall the times I used to spend listening to his "Dangerous" album. It was the best time of my life!

I turned 15 4 months ago. I've been a fan since I was 13 2 months before I turned 14 so something between a 1,5 and 2.
I'll come back tho when I know why I became a fan.

27 years young and for moren then 20 years a fan as long as i can remember........
and what made me a fan?
I don,t know, i was born as a fan i think.

I'm 29 years old and have been a fan since I can remember and understand what music is. I was only 3 when Thriller came out, but my mom is a big Motown fan so she always had vinyl Jackson 5, other Motown artists, and of course MJ playing.
I'm glad I found this board. I hesitate because I don't want to be see as a bandwagon "fan." I hate message boards usually...people are cowardly hiding behind their names and hateful. I've gotten into many arguments bordering on fights with people about MJ over many years (even my own FAMILY), trying to get them to see him with an open mind. I got fed up and gave up on them. But I'm so comforted by seeing so many real fans in one place. I won't have to post my thoughts and get hateful things said about him in return here! My heart still aches...I've not felt this sad for this long ever, I don't think.

I've been a fan of MJ for as long as I can remember, I'm now 52 years old, I've followed Michael since his first tour with the Jackson 5, I saw him in Birmingham, England at the New Street Odeon back in the 1972.

And I can still see him bopping up and down with so much energy, he was incredible. I can remember him singing Rockin Robin 'Tweedily deedily dee, Tweedily deedily dee...' And I've followed him, whenever he's toured in the UK, I've been privileged to see Destiny, Bad, Dangerous and History plus his last concerts at MSG New York.

And I'll continue to follow MJ, until my day's have passed.

RIP. MJ. XXXX

well I am 42 and have been a fan since the age of 12 I believe...I remember my mom yelling at me TURN THAT MUSIC DOWN....hahaha good times.....Michael Jackson and the J5 posters all over my room. Great memories...I still have pics and all albums and cd's today.

I am a Fan since I was 2 years Old and now I am 23 years old a very long time I will never get enough from him . My first Video that I saw was Bad from that moment on I was in his world Michael you are the Best I miss you and love you see you one day when the time is right Peace .

I am a fan since I was very little. My father introduced me to the Jackson’s five music and later, Michael's solo career when I was about 3-4 years. I'm a fan since then. He always played they're music around the house and I grew up with that wonderful experience. I'm 25 years old now.

Last edited:

Ive already wrote on this thread that Ive been a fan as long as I can remember Im 33 now.But Ive not put that my 12 year old daughter has been a fan since being tiny well all her life realy she even wore out my thriller video.

I've been a fan as far back as I can remember, so many memories of my childhood have Michael as the soundtrack. :) I would go over to my cousins' house with my sister a lot when I was 5 or 6 and we would put Bad on with our little rotating disco ball light and just jam out all day. With Smooth Criminal, we would all stand really still in the intro until the part where he goes "OW" and then we'd all strike a pose. XD

When I was 11 I started listening to him again a lot before I went to Junior High. I was a cutter and I was extremely depressed at that time in my life, even though I was so young I just felt horribly alone. I was suicidal for a while. Michael helped me cope. People thought I was a freak in Jr. High, I had MJ pictures all over my school books and locker and I wore a glove and fedora to school sometimes. I wrote and sent him letters like a journal. I wrote stories about him and all my book reports were on his biographies. My friends and sometimes even my teachers referred to me as Ms. Jackson or MJ Freak. :D

It was all a little silly in retrospect how obsessed I was but I can honestly say without Michael's music I would not be the confident person I am today. He helped me be comfortable in being myself.

I'll always have his music as a reminder of that.

I'm 15 and I've been a fan since I was 5. I'm not quite sure how it happened seeing as he isn't from my era and both my parents thought he was guilty. :(
But I remember being 5 and asking them to buy me his cd's, when they replied no I had a fit in the store and cried until they got me it. Hehe, it was worth it. :wub: Now they love him too and realise he's innocent! :)
I think it was that twinkle in his eye, fell in love with that from the moment I saw him. He was my first love, and he still is. :wub:
I used to pretend I was married to him when I was younger. Okay, I still do, but it's embarrasing to admit. Winking
Just thinking about it makes my heart skip a beat!

Hi

I'm 32 and I have been an MJ fan since I was 8 years old. I think I had heard his music and enjoyed it before then, but at 8 I realised that this man was AMAZING and his music made me feel a certain way.... the rest is history!

A sad point for me was when my mum died the day before I was due to see Michael on the Dangerous tour. My mum died of cancer and she really wanted me to go to the concert, but I just couldn't go... the grief was too much. A decision I have regretted everyday ever since.

My husband brought us tickets to the O2 concert on 3rd February, so you can imagine just how excited I was to finally see him perform live. I am absolutely crushed and devestated.

My children are also huge fans. My daughter is 8 and she has almost perfected the Billie Jean routine! My son is 10 and he suffers with autism. Michael's music has helped him SO much, and it has been awful having to help him through this terrible time.

My son's name is Joshua Michael Joseph by the way! (yep... I'm obsessed with MJ!!)

Our king may be dead.. but he will live forever in my heart and I will never ever stop loving him xx

A sad point for me was when my mum died the day before I was due to see Michael on the Dangerous tour. My mum died of cancer and she really wanted me to go to the concert, but I just couldn't go... the grief was too much. A decision I have regretted everyday ever since.

My husband brought us tickets to the O2 concert on 3rd February, so you can imagine just how excited I was to finally see him perform live. I am absolutely crushed and devestated.

Ouch!! It's never fun hearing stories like this...

I'm 15, I suppose I've always 'liked' his music but I became PROPER OBSESSED at about 8/9. I don't know why or how it happened, I was mad into all the 'mainstream' stuff at the time, but after I properly listened to MJ's stuff that all changed. At that age, Michael Jackson wasn't considered 'cool' by my friends, but I adored him away. I dressed like him, tried to learn the dances and constantly watched his videos, he just amazed me. Even today his music and dances amaze me, he's had a massive effect on my life and the way I think about music, and he'll always be one of my favourite artists.

I am 41. My first memory of him is OFF THE WALL. I loved the songs from that album. I was in 5th grade and I bought it with my own money. I was so proud. When my mom all of sudden moved us to Florida in 1980, I could only bring a handful of stuff. Included was that album and my parade magazine highlighting Pope John Paul II's visit to NY in 1979. I kept those as if it was gold. The pope and Michael Jackson -- they are what ruled my world.

In 1982, moving to Atlanta, seeing him live on that the Motown special, then being a freshman in high school celebrating the Thriller video, singing my favorite PYT (because I was one of course).

1987/88, I remember driving to visit my now-ex hubby at UGA about 1 1/2 from Atlanta and Michael keeping me company on the long drive with my various mixed cassette tapes. I am sure I got pregnant listening to Dirty Diana or the Lady in my Life (ok, maybe Prince contributed too).

Then the early 1990's, watching Remember the Time over and over because Eddie Murphy and Michael Jackson were so fine. Plus I loved the moves of the dancers in that video.

I was drawn to others too, namely Keith Sweat, TLC, Prince, but Michael remained in my life. His later music fed my intellectual mind, as well as my body -- I love Stranger in Moscow, You are Not Alone, Rock My World.

Now I cry like a baby because I remember times in my life by the music that inspired me -- Michael Jackson, Janet Jackson and Prince remind me of my teenage years and my twenties. He will forever be a part of my memories - Forever.

Back