How Old Are You and How Long Have You Been an MJ Fan?

What age group do you fit in?

• 12 and under

Votes: 26 3.1%
  • 13-17

Votes: 139 16.3%
  • 18-24

Votes: 306 36.0%
  • 25-30

Votes: 177 20.8%
  • 31-39

Votes: 112 13.2%
  • 40 and over

Votes: 91 10.7%

• Total voters
Re: How old are you and how long have you been a MJ fan?

I'm 15 this sunday :lol:
My early memories of MJ are trying to moonwalk in the supermarket as a kid, and seeing his music videos on tv :D especially Smooth Criminal, Billie Jean, Black or White, Beat It, Bad etc.
I remember seeing him with Britney Spears in 2001, i didn't understand the big MJ thing, but i've always liked his music.
Then there was the dreaded 2005 trials, i remember we always had Sky News on and i just remember looking at him and he looked so deeply depressed, i didn't take too much notice of what was getting said and stuff. But i carried on liking his music.
I've always found him interesting and have asked lots of questions about him (the basic why has he changed his skin colour and that stupid stuff i had no idea about)
I never found out the answers properly.
So around Feb 07 i downloaded (oops) some of his songs and automatically remembered his music and fell in love with it. I didnt tell no one! but i started researching him more and watching interviews, But when i started becoming a "hardcore" fan was around his 50th birthday, I remember ripping out a little bit about him in the news paper, and i still have it :D, and my dad was like why've you ripped the newspaper i was like :huh: i haven't. Then i remember going to my friends Olivia (she was the first person i told) and we watched Living with MJ together, and after watching the interview right at the end and we knew how Martin was tryna make MJ look stupid all along, we realised he is such an amazing person, and then from their i was open about it and i couldn't care less what stupid people at my school think, and obviously bought ALL of his 7 studio albums :D and DVDs etc. I also feel blessed that i feel i've become a fan at the right time, because i get to see this amazing man. To love this man the way i do, i feel i've been a fan since birth, so 15 years this Sunday Michael :D :lol:
He amazes me... :wub:
So yeah thats my MJ story.

I'll be 29 in May and I've been Michael's fan for my whole life...

One of my oldest recollections is me and my brother, very little, trying to watch the Thriller video, but running scared to death! Lol!

But I would say that I became a real fan, collecting posters, magazines and stuff, buying all the albuns, and dreaming about meeting Michael in person around 1993. Though I remember saying he was boyfriend when I was like 5 years old! Lol! :)

Michael Jackson has some of the most beautiful fans in the entire world!! :wub:

This thread is so amazing to read. :flowers: Kudos for starting it.

I will be 19 in May:)been a fan since i was 5 years old (1995) when HISTORY came out and my cousin gave me the gold cd (greatest hits) one..she didn't want to have it..only the cd nr 2..

changed my life

i'm 16 in a couple of months, & i've been a fan of mj's since i was about .... 7 maybe? i've been a janet fan longer than mikes, but it wasn't until i heard 'Scream' that i found out who Michael was. After seeing the Scream video, i've been obsessing over Mike ever since :)

I have 15 years,but soon I will have 16 years in september.
I'm a fan since I had 7 years

25. I grew up in a household that loved MJ, I don't recall a time when I wasn't aware of MJ, so lets say since conception :lol: Real fanaticism kicked in when I was 14 and it's been a (pleasure) trip ever since! :D

Well, I am 20 years right now. I think I'm a fan since 1997. When I first heard Billie Jean, the first track on HIStory. I became crazy, what an amazing song.

I'm 37 and I've loved Michael for 25 years now.

Back in January 1984 (in America, btw) I was 11 and we were about the only family in the neighborhood without MTV. Being the oldest child, I hadn't gotten into any particular bands or singers by influence of older siblings. I listened to the radio, but paid no attention to who did what song and had never seen one MJ video, not the Motown 25 performance (?), nothing (that I could remember). I guess I was pretty clueless. Doh!

I remember kids at school saying, "You're watching the American Music Awards tonight, aren't you?!" Ummm, I didn't know what that was, but agreed, of course. I saw Michael for the first time I was aware of (or paid attention to) that night. I thought he was quite odd (lol), so flashy with his sequins & red jacket, I found it so strange his voice was so high, etc. I was astonished that everyone seemed to LOVE this guy and I'd never heard of him, lol. I was intrigued, though, sort of drawn to him.

Very shortly after that I turned 12 and then the Grammy's were on. Again, there was Michael. When he took his sunglasses off... oh! ;) I felt pulled in, mesmerized. He was different from anyone I'd seen before. I realized I just had to buy Thriller with my birthday money (since seemingly everyone else on the planet had it) and I was extremely curious about this guy. Who was he? What was he like?

I listened to Thriller every day after school, melting with his voice, and was amazed that all these songs I'd liked so much were by the same person... this Michael Jackson. He had even done songs in the 70's that I had liked as a small child, whoa. I read every interview I could get my hands on, studied every picture, forced my parents to rent 'The Making of Thriller' about 15 times, lol. I can't explain it, but I quickly fell in love with him. Just absolute love. Over the next few years I had tapes filled with news clips, every inch of my bedroom walls covered by his pics, all the older albums (i.e. Jacksons, J5, etc). My mom always rolled her eyes, thinking it was some stupid adolescent phase. But by summer 1984 I was his forever :)

As I've grown up and aged my perspective on the world and on MJ, my love, respect and appreciation of him has evolved, matured and become more realistic. I go through phases when MJ is sort of in the background of my busy life and times when I'm totally gaga in love again (like now, lol), but he's always there. I always had to warn any boyfriend that MJ is my first love and he's got my heart first, so he's going to just have to deal with that, lol ;) Lucky for me I met my husband on an MJ forum in 2001, so we can gush over Michael together now!!! Crazy how the world works.

Last edited:

I don't know for how long exactly I adore him but I remember my first time when I noticed him. I think I was five or six years old (now I'm 18), the "History" concert was shown on TV one evening. I was staring at him with huge excitement. I even remember dreaming about him before I fell asleep that night. Since then he is my prince charming. :wub: :D

AHHHHHHHHHHHH
:wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub:

Last edited:

i am 31 and been a fan of mj since i was 4 years old.

I'm 29. Feeling
So old:cry: :boohoo:

And have been a MJ-Fan since
1985 :wub:

I'm 42, been a fan for 30 years :punk:lol
First saw him on top of the pops in 1979 i think he was singing destiny with his brothers, but seeing as i couldn't take my eyes off him i can't really remember lol.

never been able to take my eyes off him ever since and never will :wub::wub:

I'm 23 years old and have been a Hardcore fan since 1995! :yes:

I remember my Mother was (And still is I suppose...) a fan of MJ. It was in 1991 when I heard Black or White, and I really liked the song! I then convinced my Mother to buy me the Dangerous album.

I became more interested in Mike when the Prime Time Live interview with LMP aired on TV. After that, the exact moment I became a Mega Fan was the 1995 MTV VMA's!! I saw MJ perform that night, I was only 9 years old, but I'd never seen anyone dance like that! It really opened my eyes further to MJ's greatness! :) I recorded it on my old VCR at the time and watched it probably 700 times haha! :yes: After that, I convinced my Mum to purchase all of MJ's studio albums up to that point. OTW, Thriller, Bad and HIStory, since I already had Dangerous. I played MJ's music everyday after school and tried to convince my friends of his greatness! lol

My next memory I'll never forget, I was staying at my Grandmother's house on my school holidays at Easter of '96. One night, I got a call from my Mum telling me that MJ would be touring here in Australia later in the year! Even at the age of 10, I knew the gravity of this! I HAD to go! Luckily, when tickets went on sale, we snapped up 2 for the November 19th 1996 HIStory concert at ANZ stadium in Brisbane!

Knowing that I'd get to see MJ live got me through the few remaining days I spent there lol...

Next, early in 1996, My Uncle returned from a business trip, but he had a lil gift for me. He bought me the Dangerous The Short Films VHS! I watched it literally a billion times! Loved every second of it.
Then, in May of 1996 I watched, glued to the TV screen watching the World Music Awards, where MJ of course, performed 'Earth Song', I was totally blown away again! My excitement of the upcoming concert later in the year grew even more!

Seeing MJ live in concert was absolutely amazing! I can honestly tell you, over the years I've seen Metallica live, I saw the Offspring live, Marilyn Manson, Linkin Park and so many others, but the HIStory concert in Brisbane was by far, the loudest show I've ever been to! Not just in terms of the music, but the fans in attendance were rabid!
It was a spectacle in itself! 13 years has nearly passed since that night, and unfortunately, I don't remember everything lol, but watching MJ dancing solo after Billie Jean is tatooed to my brain! :yes: I'll also never forget the bass in TDCAU! That sh*t rattles you to the bone!!!!!
At the show, we had a great spot, roughly 5 or 6 rows from the stage, slightly to the right of the crane.

My next memory, is in November of 1997, just about one year to the day of MJ's Australian leg of the HIStory Tour, Free to air channel 9 here aired the Ghosts special and more importantly, 2 nights later they aired HIStory Sydney '96 (2nd night)! It wasn't aired in it's entirety as you all may know, but 10 songs were. Anyway, I recorded it and that Tape became my most prized posession! I watched it backwards and forwards, over and over. I studied that damn thing! lol...I also took it to school as well, and for whatever reason, I was able to play it for the class!

Of course, throughout all this time, I recorded anything and everything MJ related that ever appeared on TV here, I became a mad collector haha! Posters, Books, Shirts...Everything!
The last 6 or 7 years, I've accumulated what I call my "MJ Vault", consisting of concert DVD's, memorabilia, just everything pertaining to MJ.

To sum it all up, I'm a fan for life! Totally loyal to Mr. Jackson. With my backstory above, I'm sure I've left several moments/stories out! But I've rambled on too long anyway...

Last edited:

Im 29 and have been a fan since 1982 ;)

I'm 24 (turning 25 on November), and I've been a fan since late 1997. That's 12 beautiful years :) I watched Michael's concert on tv (HIStory tour, Helsinki, Finland) and I was just blown away!! That's how I became a fan.

I'm 19 and I've been a fan for about 5 years.

i'm 16 and i was fan since 2004 and i'm was 10 year old

I'm 25: and I've been a fan since I was 6 and I fell in love with him when I was 8.
and I'm still head over heels! :D :wub:

I've been a fan scince the summer of 2002 when I just randomly said to my mum that I wanted to but Michael Jackson's album. (Invincible - the latest) and so I did, started to listen to it and really liked it. And I remember looking in the booklet and thought he looked really good. And so I met other fans from my country and we're still friends.

Michael and I are born the same summer of the same year and even the same numerical date--the 29!!

I have stories about it on my site.

Pm me if you want the exact links(s) as I can't post here as you guys got some self-promo rule here.

God bless.

ABP

I'm 21 and I've been a fan since 1997 (started buying his albums and collecting posters and stuff like that). But I have some memories of liking him even before that.

i am 34 and have been a fan since the Bad era. I look fondly at those times when I first found MJ and got my first poster and book on him. This year will be my 21st anniversary of bing a fain :)

Wow us 18-24 year olds are really rocking it in here :p Ill be 22 on 13th July!!!!!!!!!! *sorry but i am rather excited about that*

Like many other grew up listening to him from parents - i think the time a offically became a fan was when I was prob around 10 and I was at a carboot sale with my parents and there was a life size cut out of MJ for 50p , i begged and begged for that 50p of my 'rents and still have it too this day :) (the cut-out not the 50p)

I'm such a newbie fan compared to a lot of the people here!

I'm 20yrs old and I became a fan around mid 2004. I knew OF Michael my whole life ofcourse but I never bothered to actually see what all the fuss was about. I knew he had done something with a werewolf and the moonwalk, just because it gets referenced so much in today's culture (like the southpark episode where chef did the thriller dance).

But... one day I was looking through my brother's music video files on his computer, came across a few MJ vids and the rest was history! I swear my face was like this the whole time :wild::wild:

I remember that day, I remember thinking "so that's why Michael Jackson is so famous."

Im almost 19, fan since im 5. 4th november 1995 was the day i became a fan when he was in a german tv show ^_^

its interesting to see that the majority is so young :)

Back