How Old Are You and How Long Have You Been an MJ Fan?

What age group do you fit in?

• 12 and under

Votes: 26 3.1%
  • 13-17

Votes: 139 16.3%
  • 18-24

Votes: 306 36.0%
  • 25-30

Votes: 177 20.8%
  • 31-39

Votes: 112 13.2%
  • 40 and over

Votes: 91 10.7%

• Total voters
Re: How old are you and how long have you been a MJ fan?

Age 36. Been an MJ fan since I was 8. Im still a fan today because I grew up with MJ's music which has been a source of inspiration through my life.

I'm 25 and have been a MJ fan since I was around 6 or 7 years years old. My mom is a huge MJ fan also and turned me on to his music. My first memory of him is when I was around 6 or 7 and my mom had the Thriller record. We did not have a record player so I couldn't listen to it. I remember I used to take the record out of the cabinet my mom kept it in and would stare at it.

I was never lucky enough to meet Michael but one of my many memories of him is years ago on Halloween vh1 aired one of his concerts as a Halloween special I think it was. Instead of going trick or treating I wanted to stay home to watch the concert, but b/c I was young my mom didn't want me to stay home by myself. So I pitched the biggest fit that I ever remember pitching and my mom finally gave in and let me stay home to watch his concert.

I've just recently joined this board but I've been lurking for a long time. I'm not really a message board person all that much. But I am a huge MJ fan and have remained a fan for all these years b/c I believe in Michael and his music.

I just turned 36.I'm a fan since the age of 11.why am i fan?because Michael gave me too much.Speacily,a new life

My story, if anyone cares to read:

I am 23 years old. My first time seeing MJ was when I was 3 years old. They played Thriller on BET. I was up on the bed happy and dancing because I knew then that Michael would change my life. Then he turned into a zombie and I avoided the Thriller video for the next 7 years of my life, though I still loved Michael's music.:D

It was the summer of 1996 when I was re-introduced to Michael Jackson. No longer afraid of the Thriller video, and watching old clips of the Bad Tour that my parents taped on BET way back in 1988, Michael Jackson changed my life. My first cassette was Michael Jackson's Thriller. My first CD was Michael Jackson's HIStory.

I've spent most of my life conflicted, confused, and somewhat sad as I've never had any strong friendships or long lasting connections. In 8th grade, I ran away from home. Songs like "That's What You Get For Being Polite," "Time Waits For No One," "Dreamer," "Strength of One Man," "Blues Away,"...these are what connected me with Michael. I could feel his songs despite their age, as they've all had special meaning in my young life.

Though I am no superfan like those who traveled the world and spent massive amounts of money even for a glimpse of Michael, this is a man who will always be in my heart as his music made me feel as close to him without ever meeting him.

Thank you Michael, you were and still will be my life.

Wow there are even twelve and under??
i want to meet those fortunate people. cuz most lil kids these days are seriously deprived of good music. esp. middle schoolers.
sad really :(

I am one of those. I am 12 and i have been a fan since spril from this year. I know you would say it is a really short time, but to me, this months have been one of the best ever.

I met michael when one day my brother was watching the bucarest concert, and i entered to his room and said: He is Michael Jackson, right? and he told me: yes.
I watched it for a while and He was dancing. At some point, when my brother saw i was liking it, he showed me a scene when michael was moonwalking. And I was like....OMG! Is this real? And, since them, i am a huge fan of michael. I fall in love with him, and i still love him, and i think i always will

^

you need to consider yourself SO fortunate arael to have discovered this magacian...

and you need to know and be happy about the fact that you aren't like the other idiot kids....you are real....
you know what music is

I'm 37 been a fan for 28 years....became a fan late 70's early, early 80's...lol....

22, and I've been a fan all my life :)

I am 17 and i became a fan when my mom showed me Heal the World when i was like 7 and iv been a fan ever since.

^

you need to consider yourself SO fortunate arael to have discovered this magacian...

and you need to know and be happy about the fact that you aren't like the other idiot kids....you are real....
you know what music is

Maybe....but the other kids aren't suffering his dead right now.....the other kids aren't devasteded.......

^

Yeah ... But they are petty fake bastards.

Would you rather be ""devvvottted""" to the Jonas Brothers and Miley Cyrus and Lil Wayne or whatever?

Honestly :rolleyes:

22 years old and i've been a fan since about age 3 when i first learnt to Moonwalk and try and somewhat gimmick the king if somewhat unsucesfully lol

I was born in 1986 (23 years old) and I'm a 'fan' since the mid 90s. Around the time of Stranger in Moscow and They Don't Care About Us I was recording his videos on VHS and I stayed up late for Ghosts.

i am 36 and been listening to him all my life,first vhs i ever saw when they came out was making of thriller.i have always been a fan and have bought all the records when they came out.i worked at a store that got in history the day before it came out,so i talked them in to letting me have it and pay the next day.i listen to alot of heavy metal but i have always liked michael's music,never gonna change-the man is/was awesome!!r.i.p

Hi all, I have been a fan of MJ's along with his brother's as the Jackson 5. I am almost 42 years old, and have been a fan for all of those years. I can even remember the Jackson 5 cartoon. Anyone else remember that?

I remember years ago getting Off The Wall as a Christmas gift from my mom's best friend, and when we had Thriller, my grandmother wanted to borrow it.

I will always be a fan of MJ's!!

I'm 16 years old, and have been a fan ever since I was 5. My mother was a Michael fan herself before my sister and I, and would always play his music. When she was pregnant with me and my sister, that did not change, she would always play his music; so I believe that I started liking him when I was in my mom's belly. :lol: But I guess, technically my first concert was the HIStory concert (one of the few of my memorable younger experiences), and I would never forget it. I guess since then on, my fandom grew throughout the years. The older I got, the more I loved him, and learned about this amazing person. He has in a way brought me into the way I am today, and I can say I wouldn't be the same without Michael, all because of his influence, and inspiration. I'm proud to be a Michael Jackson fan, and to support him. Always & forever. :)

A lil' history lesson (LOL!)

I am 52 years old, and I've been a fan since 1969, which is coming up to 40 years this December.

I first listened to "I Want You Back" on a tiny transistor radio back on "Radio Luxembourg" - no-one knew anything about the J5 then, so it took me a while to track down the record and buy it - my first ever single (vinyl,of course!) I still have it, and every other J5 single, along with a couple of vinyl albums. I hadn't the cash back then to buy much, and I couldn't afford to go the concerts when they toured UK.

I even had to invite myself to a neighbour's house to see the J5 on the Royal Variety Show, as it was only shown on BBC2 and our tv didn't have that!

I have many old scrap books with articles from Record Mirror - they had a Jackson 5 corner every week, written by Robin Katz, who I think worked for Motown. Unfortunately most of my posters from "Fab 208" (208 being the radio requency of Radio Luxembourg) were plastered to my bedroom walls with water and flour paste and have long since disappeared.

Once the J5 waned in popularity being a UK Jackson fan wasn't easy.

I continued to follow The Jacksons as best I could, mostly through radio and magazine articles.

Luckily there was always Jacksons and then Michael Jackson music available.

Of course, when I became an adult and Michael became the stratospheric star he was, is and always will be, I vowed to make up for the days when I couldn't see him. So, Bad, Dangerous, HIStory, I more than made up for my earlier disappointments.

I consider myself to be one of the most fortunate MJ fans, to have been able to share that incredible journey as a contemporary and to witness so many of his finest moments. My heart goes out to people who were so excited waiting to see Michael for the first time at the O2.

I hope that those of us that can share our memories over the years will help you just a little.

Angie
x

I'm 25. This is my first post on this forum, however I have been reading since the announcement of the comeback tour. I have always been a fan of MJ, for as long as I can remember. He was the one artist growing up, that I knew I had to see perform live. Finally, this summer I was going to have that chance, and I have never been so excited for a concert as I was for Aug 10th 'This is it' ... I remember listening to his songs when I was at least 4yrs old and have carried on listening to them ever since. I found the man truly intriguing and I hope that he is at rest now.

I'm 19, and I've been a dedicated fan since I was 11 years old.
It hit me hard and fast ;)

am 17, and have grew up listening to my mums album bad on cd
i used to rob it of here and try and dance like him when i was like 6.
and gradually as i became older started to become more aware of him
and his music and started to watch videos of him on you tube
and bought a book or tow about him and became ever so fascinated
but i must say the two things that made me totally fall in love with him
where the Don't Stop Till You Get Enough oh my the way he looks and is dressed i was like :O and then the smile, it made me melt i was under his spell.
and a other thing that made me love him even more was that unorized interveiw
"i had one called lola not sure if it was a girl or a boy"
he's just so cute, so honselt i could say iv been listen to his music since i was around 6.

Im 17 about to be 18 in august and i have been a fan sense i was about 7 because my aunties always used to play off the wall and i used to dance with them to so many songs off that album..

I am 30 and have been a fan for almost 27 years :D

Angie that is absolutely AMAZING that you got to see him in all those tours. You must feel like the luckiest person!! :) I was too young for bad tour, couldn't afford Dangerous tour...then when I was 18 I went to one of the HIStory shows at Wembley stadium. The best day ever!!!!!

I am 33 years old and have been a fan of Michaels for as long as I can remember.
My brother first introduced me to him when I must of been about 5 years old.
I was lucky enough to see him at Wembley on the HIStory Tour which was amazing.
I was devastated when I couldn't get tickets for this forthcoming tour as I didn't have Broadband when the tickets went on sale I had a T Mobile internet connection which wasn' worth having! I tried and tried but couldn't get anywhere on the presale and general release.
I so wanted to buy from Ebay but couldn't afford it as there was four of us as my children who are 7 and 11 years old also love him and wanted to go.
I then heard about the production seats and my oldest son was sent a code and we got the tickets first try the next morning! We were estactic and walking on air!
Such a shock to awake the following morning when my radio alarm went off to the news on the radio!
I am thankful for that last piece of joy that Michael gave me, we were meant to go and it is nice to know that.

I'm almost 27 and I've been a fan of Michael's since I was around 8 when I begged for the Dangerous album for Christmas, but I had heard some of his earlier songs before that like when I was 4 or 5. I have a video of my dad and I dancing around to "Beat It" when I was about two years old - I wore a giant sparkly glove that was way too big for my hand. :)

I'm 25, got into Michael when I was 7 years old with Dangerous :cool:

I'm 70. I knew Michael "existed" LOL----but during the 70's/80's, I was raising my family.
In the Dangerous era---I listened to that album via a 13 year old grand--daughter.
I also read Moonwalk around that time---and didn't believe Michael was guilty of any molestation charges, even the first time,
Then in 1996, History Tour came to Brisbane Queensland---and I went to see Michael, at 58 years old-----and he changed my life-----I have learnt so much from Mr Michael Jackson----and here I still am.
Dawn

Aww Dawn, I loved reading this. :)

I've been a fan for so long that I'm not going to say my age. But my now adult son's were raised on MJ's music and love the heck out of him just like the rest of us.

Michael changed my life too. It's hard to describe but eons ago he opened a door and I hesitantly walked through. The other side is filled with *magic* and LOVE. I find it amazing that one single man has been able to affect billions of people and make us feel that when he says, "I love you too!" that he means it. You can't fool the audience.

Listening to PYT and cracking up at what a sweetie he is.

All my love Michael - and the same to all of you. :wub:

Wow, it's so relaxing listening to all of you talk about your fist experiences with Michael. It really is ...sweet! And from the eldest to the youngest....amazing!!!
I'm almost 30 and have been a fan since I was 11-12. It got into me from my older sister who was yelling and shouting everytime she'd hear him sing, lol. ...
Beautiful memories...

i'm 21 years old,
and i love him since i was born...

I am 27, but will be 28 in a couple of weeks. I have been a fan for over 20 years. I've practically been a fan all of my life. Michael Jackson has been a very big part of my life. I never got tired of his music and I was always looking forward to hearing new music from him. I was so looking forward to these concerts because I had hoped that these London concert would lead to more concerts, perhaps in the U.S. But now, fate has stepped in and I won't have that chance now. I am very sad, but I know that he is always here with me and I have his music. He is everywhere.

I have been enjoying and appreciating MJ's music as a young child during his 'Mowtown' day's,( Yes I am an 'old timer!lol) but came into a new frenzy of being a fan in the 80's with the Thriller days when I was a teenager in the 1980's!
I love all MJ's varying works,
So many fantastic songs and dance's to go with, yet I always had a soft spot for ''The way you make me feel'' and that video (long version) that goes with it......:)
Since MJ died I have found myself appreciating ''Stranger in Moscow'' more than ever, as the words and passion as it's sung show MJ's true emotions of ''how he feels''. :-(
Why have I stayed a fan? I have always been a Fan with crystal clear voice and sheer genius like MJ showed how could you not? Alway's knew he was innocent of those accusations,he has a heart so gentle and beautifully kind. ''A gentle soul who happened to be the greatest entertainer the world has ever known.''

Back