I Am A Loser leaks [ Page 6] New info Page 12

Re: I Am A Loser leaks [ Page 6/ Post #89 ]

I love the song, happy to hear this it & not the fake one that's been floating around. At this point I don't care if mj recorded in the bathroom. Will take tracks as is!!:D

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Even though I like the song very much cause it's fresh Michael stuff and I like his voice, I have to agree with ImWhizzle's more technical and specific review. It's a very early demo and def can't be compared to actual finished songs.

Re: I Am A Loser leaked?

I know but that went right in the feelings xD But I'll still love all of Michael's songs--they're all perfect. At least to me anyway. I can't speak for everybody else :)

I admit when I read that comment (the song wasn't leaked yet) it bothered me how he was complaining about a DEMO like it were a complete track but now that I can have an opinion of my own, I chose to disagree and ignore it.

I politely disagree with those who said the track was far too incomplete or repetitive. Sounds like it could be a complete song to me, only the sound of the mix gives way that its a demo, not the music or lyrics. I heard enough different phrases - it's not "I am a loser" over and over like was mentioned. As others have said, its no more repetitive than many other songs that have a repeated refrain.

So many of MJ's tracks are these epic workouts in production, sounds, instruments, vocals, etc. that its great to hear something scaled back. Great rhythm, great vocals. Yes, sometimes demos are all you need.

It reminds me of Don't be Messin Around a little. The beat and everything. I like it but to be honest I feel like I don't like the title of the song so much. I hope that's okay to say.

Re: I am a loser leaked!!!

"I Was The Loser" is just the legal title (US Copyright Office) but Michael has never reworked the song as far as I know.

"I am a Loser" and "I was the Loser" are both have a copyright. Meaning 2 separate titles. wouldn't that mean they are two different tracks?

Reminds me of "Free." Both great demos.

exquisite vocal performance from Michael! tops most Song's released after Michael's passing. it's divine, his voice is so soothing and smooth! It'll never become old to me, truly mesmerising!!

I liked it. Nice to get an MJ song that doesn't need to be questioned.

exquisite vocal performance from Michael! tops most Song's released after Michael's passing. it's divine, his voice is so soothing and smooth! It'll never become old to me, truly mesmerising!!

This was my first reaction :)

His voice is gorgeous, wow.

To clear things up: Michael recorded "I Am a Loser" (the song that just leaked) around 1998 or 1999 with Brad Buxer and Michael Prince. He then recorded "I Was the Loser" in fall 2008 with Neff-U. Both titles exist as separate registries with the United States Copyright Office. Michael did re-record the vocals in 2008, and one would presume that the lyrics were rewritten.

This song sounds like a very dry demo, meaning no reverb has been added. It sounds like an extremely early, unpolished mix, which I can understand would turn some people off. Part of me feels like this was lazily put together by someone with access to the multi tracks. But nonetheless it's a great song.

During the early Invincible sessions, Michael made music that was structurally, lyrically and musically simple, yet was still listenable and heartfelt, just like Beautiful Girl or The Way You Love Me. This is far from the worst song Michael's ever made, and it is far from the worst song from the Invincible era. I would go as far to say that it is one of my top ten favorite songs from 1998-2003.

To clear things up: Michael recorded "I Am a Loser" (the song that just leaked) around 1998 or 1999 with Brad Buxer and Michael Prince. He then recorded "I Was the Loser" in fall 2008 with Neff-U. Both titles exist as separate registries with the United States Copyright Office. Michael did re-record the vocals in 2008, and one would presume that the lyrics were rewritten.

This song sounds like a very dry demo, meaning no reverb has been added. It sounds like an extremely early, unpolished mix, which I can understand would turn some people off. Part of me feels like this was lazily put together by someone with access to the multi tracks. But nonetheless it's a great song.

During the early Invincible sessions, Michael made music that was structurally, lyrically and musically simple, yet was still listenable and heartfelt, just like Beautiful Girl or The Way You Love Me. This is far from the worst song Michael's ever made, and it is far from the worst song from the Invincible era. I would go as far to say that it is one of my top ten favorite songs from 1998-2003.

I hope sometime in the future the estate will release 'I Was The Loser' to hear a polished and finished mix of this song would be fantastic. but if they do release it, I hope it is done right. because it shouldn't be broken, why fix something that isn't broken right?

Its nice. Just a very rough demo.

It should have NEVER leaked. There isn't a lot of post material.

Love the song :heart: About the repetitiveness, I can't speak for everyone, but even if Michael was singing something like "I'm sitting on a toilet" I would probably still love it :D

Love the song :heart: About the repetitiveness, I can't speak for everyone, but even if Michael was singing something like "I'm sitting on a toilet" I would probably still love it :D

Haha! I feel exactly the same way!

Every link that was posted has been taken down can anyone re post one please?

They are being taken down .. but there are still some uploads on youtube

Good news: We get to hear a new song .

Bad News: The people holding ht demo,potw,dig and i like the way demo will be more careful now.

I like it. Never listen to other people's opinions about a song before you hear it yourself!

Even though I like the song very much cause it's fresh Michael stuff and I like his voice, I have to agree with ImWhizzle's more technical and specific review. It's a very early demo and def can't be compared to actual finished songs.

It IS a demo. I don't why some people insist on comparing it to finished tracks and then act all disappointed about it.

Michael did re-record the vocals in 2008, and one would presume that the lyrics were rewritten.

A reliable source please?

Joe Vogel is also talking BS on Twitter as usual. He believes the leaked track was named "I Am The Loser" and recorded in 2003. Fail!

I love this song! I love to hear his sweet voice again and again and again :) no matter if it's a very early demo or a finished song. It's him!!!!! This is so wonderful. Many many thanks to the one who leaked this. :)

Last edited:
<header abp="24">Exclusive: The origins of Michael Jackson&#8217;s &#8220;I Am A Loser&#8221; revealed!

by Damien Shields Posted on September 8, 2013 </header>

<!-- Hupso Share Buttons -->

The mystique that surrounded Michael Jackson&#8217;s unreleased song &#8220;I Am A Loser&#8221; was finally put to rest today after a fan leaked the full track online. However, although fans can now enjoy the track in all its glory, there is still much confusion regarding the true origins of the song.

Michael Jackson fans have long speculated that the track was written and recorded in the late 90s &#8211; prior to the release of Jackson&#8217;s 2001 &#8216;Invincible&#8217; album. However, this information has proven to be inaccurate.

&#8220;I Am A Loser&#8221; was first conceived more than a year after the release of &#8216;Invincible&#8217;, in January of 2003, shortly after wrapping up the last of a series of interviews for Martin Bashir&#8217;s ill-fated &#8220;Living With Michael Jackson&#8221; documentary.

Jackson and his long-time collaborator Brad Buxer, who is responsible for contributions towards a plethora of tracks including &#8220;Who Is It&#8221; and &#8220;Stranger In Moscow&#8221;, were staying in adjoining Las Vegas hotel rooms at the time while working on music together.

Buxer, who was going through a breakup at the time, was awake late one night. Upset about the breakup, he was pacing around his room repeating, &#8220;I&#8217;m a loser! I&#8217;m just a loser!&#8221;

Before long Jackson, who could hear Buxer through the wall, knocked on his door and came in and asked, &#8220;What&#8217;s the problem?&#8221;

&#8220;Oh I&#8217;m a loser&#8230;&#8221; answered Buxer, before explaining his situation.

&#8220;Let&#8217;s write a song about it,&#8221; suggested Jackson.
And so Jackson and Buxer got to work, co-writing and composing the track &#8220;I Am A Loser&#8221; into the early hours of the morning.

&#8220;We had our typical recording setup,&#8221; explains the pair&#8217;s engineer/producer, Michael Prince. &#8220;ProTools, keyboards, a microphone set up with headphones &#8211; the whole thing. So it&#8217;s basically a mini recording studio.&#8221;

&#8220;Brad was playing keys and Michael was doing a scratch vocal. It happened very fast,&#8221; recalls Prince, who began working on the song soon after the first scratch vocal had been laid down.

<figure class="wp-caption alignright" id="attachment_808" aria-labelledby="figcaption_attachment_808" style="width: 271px;" abp="71"><figcaption class="wp-caption-text" id="figcaption_attachment_808" abp="74">Left to right: Buxer, Jackson, Prince</figcaption></figure> &#8220;Michael did multiple performances to get a good demo down,&#8221; tells Prince. &#8220;We worked on it further at the ranch (Neverland) and at other times in other places, too. Michael likes to keep polishing things. He was always asking for a new sound here or a new hi-hat there.&#8221;

The song is built around trademark Jackson/Buxer drum loops and beatbox sounds in the vein of &#8220;Stranger in Moscow&#8221; and &#8220;Beautiful Girl&#8221;, and backed by soothing synths and an angelic harp. Jackson tells Buxer&#8217;s true story of a love lost with poignant lyrics; &#8220;I say hello/You say goodbye. I reach to you/You don&#8217;t even try. I am a loser. I am a loser.&#8221;

Upon reviewing what was leaked today, Prince can confirm it is not the most recent version of the track.
&#8220;I mean the leaked version is vocally complete, but you can tell it&#8217;s the demo because after the second or third chorus you hear Michael go &#8216;Ahh&#8217; like that, because he was getting ready to sing a part and then he stopped,&#8221; explains Prince. &#8221;Nobody has edited that. He didn&#8217;t mean for that to be left on the record. Just like on [the unreleased track] &#8220;Gloucestershire&#8221; &#8211; Michael starts doing a little horn part with his voice, just so he wouldn&#8217;t forget it &#8211; because it&#8217;s a scratch vocal track.&#8221;

&#8220;The version that leaked is pretty much the finished demo from before it became &#8216;I Was The Loser&#8217;.&#8221;
&#8220;What you&#8217;re hearing is Michael singing and Brad playing. That truly is the demo. Those vocals are untouched, un-tuned and unedited,&#8221; says Prince.

&#8220;He was happy with the original &#8216;I Am A Loser&#8217; demo,&#8221; adds Prince. &#8220;But before we played it for anybody else we had a long talk and Michael said, &#8216;I don&#8217;t want be a loser. I don&#8217;t mind if I was the loser but I don&#8217;t want to say I&#8217;m still a loser.&#8217; So we changed that.&#8221;

&#8220;I Was The Loser&#8221; is the final version of the track.

Jackson did not record the whole song again when it changed from &#8220;I Am A Loser&#8221; to &#8220;I Was The Loser&#8221;. He simply re-recorded that particular line, while the musical composition remained exactly the same.

The recording of the &#8220;I was the loser&#8221; line took place in a makeshift studio set up by Prince at Jackson&#8217;s Bel Air Hotel room in late 2008 &#8211; the same period of time in which the King of Pop laid down additional vocals for other pre-existing tracks including &#8220;Best of Joy&#8221; and &#8220;Hollywood Tonight&#8221;.

These, among many others, were tracks Jackson had on &#8220;to do&#8221; list at the time of his death on June 25, 2009. A handwritten note detailing the titles of 28 tracks Jackson had hoped to completed, including &#8220;The Loser&#8221; as Jackson called it, was found beside his bed following his passing. See below:
<figure class="wp-caption alignleft" id="attachment_807" aria-labelledby="figcaption_attachment_807" style="width: 212px;" abp="90"><figcaption class="wp-caption-text" id="figcaption_attachment_807" abp="93">Jackson's 2009 "to do" music list</figcaption></figure> &#8220;There are things that just stuck in his mind,&#8221; says Prince. &#8220;Sometimes he writes new songs, and sometimes he wants to bring up something from the past that he knows is an unpolished gem.&#8221;

&#8220;I remember we did a little work on &#8216;Scared Of The Moon&#8217; for the &#8216;Invincible&#8217; album, actually. And I remember Steve Porcaro joking, &#8216;Oh that song again?&#8217; It&#8217;s so funny because I&#8217;d never heard it before. But that&#8217;s Michael&#8217;s way of doing things &#8211; he always revisited some of his favourite stuff. He&#8217;d say, &#8216;Why didn&#8217;t we put this on our last album? Let&#8217;s listen again. Can we make it any better?&#8217; Sometimes it makes it on the album and sometimes it doesn&#8217;t.&#8221;
Both &#8220;I Am A Loser&#8221; and &#8220;I Was The Loser&#8221; remain unreleased in an official capacity to this day.

http://www.damienshields.com/exclusive-the-origins-of-michael-jacksons-i-am-a-loser-revealed/

@Korgex: Michael several times changed the title. Is it possible that the text has been re-written? Excluding changes like I Was The Loser in verses/backgrounds. I'm very curious.
@Pentum: Thank you!!!!

I like this, I think it's a beautiful demo! His vocals are gorgeous!

Apart from the sheet that we knew about, I seriously doubt the track was recorded in 2003. The tracks Brad Buxer sent to the Estate were all from the same period of time (1998/1999).

Everyone read the article I posted above. It includes tons of new information and corrects a lot of "facts" we thought we knew about these IAAL/IWTL songs.

Both “I Am A Loser” and “I Was The Loser” remain unreleased in an official capacity to this day.
Hopefully this means that I Was The Loser will be issued on the next album. The world should hear this. It is one of the best ballads of Michael.

Back