I will have to give my babies away!

Reeta

Proud Member
Today we decided with my mom Im going to sell 3 of my chinchilla's because of my allergy. This has been on my mind for long now, but I have always thought maybe I could still keep them... I even tried different medications so I could keep them, but I don't want my allergy to get any worse as what it is now.

They are my furry babies, I have had them for years and I have learned their tricks and whims and as you can see I call them as my babies. I don't think the problem is with selling because I don't want to play with my health, but what makes me worried is am I going to find a proper homes for them? Homes where they are going to be taken care of and they'll be treated like chinchilla's should be treated. I don't want them to end up being "recycled" meaning the new owner will only use the animal once or twice for breeding and then sell it again.

I have 5 chinchilla's, so 2 are going to stay with me, mainly because if I'd have to "get rid of" them too, the only choice would be to put them into forever sleep. So Im hoping having only 2 would cut down my allergic reactions at least a little bit.

awww hugs reeta, sorry I cant help you with rehoming, maybe you should post on all the boards, there might be some Finnish fans you could give them to

Aww I'm really sorry to hear that. I know what it's like to have too many animals (I have 7 cats and 1 dog), hopefully you'll find a good home for them.

Last edited:
I developed a severe allergy to rabbits after being over exposed to them, so instead of getting rid of my rabbits we put them outside in a cage. Is that a possibility for you? I hate to see people have to give up their beloved pets.

Oh no! I'm so sorry for you!
I've seen some pics of your chinchillas and they're so sweet! ^_^
Hopefully you'll find good home for them..

Thank you everyone *hugs*

I developed a severe allergy to rabbits after being over exposed to them, so instead of getting rid of my rabbits we put them outside in a cage. Is that a possibility for you? I hate to see people have to give up their beloved pets.

Unfortunately taking them outside is not possible for me. I have already dedicated a one room for them, so I don't have to be in a same room with them all the time. But there's always hay dust floating around my apparment and even though I change my clothes everytime after I've been with them, it's not helping anymore :(

Oh no! I'm so sorry for you!
I've seen some pics of your chinchillas and they're so sweet! ^_^
Hopefully you'll find good home for them..

Well because they are so sweet and I got my first chinchilla 5 years ago, so I have had them for so long it makes this even more difficult. They are very well behaved, can be handled and none of them has ever bitten me.. *sigh*

Gosh i thought babies as in children! *phew*

Last edited:
Well.. they are sort of my children, they just happen to be very furry ones :D

I know what you mean about them being your children! Sorry to hear that, it must be heartbreaking for you. Hopefully they will be just as lucky in their next home as they were with you.

Today we decided with my mom Im going to sell 3 of my chinchilla's because of my allergy. This has been on my mind for long now, but I have always thought maybe I could still keep them... I even tried different medications so I could keep them, but I don't want my allergy to get any worse as what it is now.

They are my furry babies, I have had them for years and I have learned their tricks and whims and as you can see I call them as my babies. I don't think the problem is with selling because I don't want to play with my health, but what makes me worried is am I going to find a proper homes for them? Homes where they are going to be taken care of and they'll be treated like chinchilla's should be treated. I don't want them to end up being "recycled" meaning the new owner will only use the animal once or twice for breeding and then sell it again.

I have 5 chinchilla's, so 2 are going to stay with me, mainly because if I'd have to "get rid of" them too, the only choice would be to put them into forever sleep. So Im hoping having only 2 would cut down my allergic reactions at least a little bit.
You're giving away fur coats? Give them to me!!! I know the perfect place for them!!!:punk:

aww so sorry Reeta! *hugs* I have seen your chincillas before and they are so so cute! If only I lived nearer to you... I would have been taken care of them. I think I know how you feel. Years ago we've had a cute dog but we have to give him to another family because we moved to a flat and we couldn't keep him. That was so sad... still I feel sorry for him.

You might want to try

Quercetin
Green Tea Extract
Omega 3
Resveratrol
Probiotics

The top three should significantly help and might eliminate the allergy. I used to have severe hay fever allergy that I cured with diet and supplements ;)

You really can make a huge difference to your immune response to allergens by eating a HEALTHY diet, combined with supplements to reduce inflammation and inflammatory response. A mild form of CR would also help.

PLEASE READ UP ON THOSE SUPPLEMENTS! There is plenty of science behind them...

Last edited:
A little update :)

I was emailed by a guy who'd be willing to buy all 3. Although they would adjust themselves just fine to live in a new home, and after a couple of days they wouldn't even remember they used to had a friend in a cage next to them.. To me this would be an ideal situation, I wouldn't have to worry and with one email I'd get to know how all 3 are doing. I know this guy though I have never met him and after he told his history with chinchillas, how many he already has and how much time he spends with them, he seems to be a pretty good owner. Now Im just having a little bit problems to email him, telling if he's still intrested to buy I can sell them to him.. because then it would be final and they would be moving soon, and I don't know am I ready to see them leaving.

Last edited:
you could try naet treatment for your allergy then maybe you wouldn't have to give them away.

^No, it's not that Im not willing to try, because I have already tried. Like I said in my first post I have tried so many medications to easy down the allergy, but it's just getting worse and I don't want to play with my health. I can honestly say when I get those allergic reactions I go through a h*ll.

Actually one of them already left to a new home today. I have to admit it makes me a little bit sad to see one cage being empty, but knowing she's in good hands and the new owner sent me a text message saying how she's been anxiously getting know to her new cage it makes me feel better :) She's always been a one little brave girl, so Im sure in a couple of days she's totally made herself a home there :)

I thought you were talking about human babies and then I read the first line which said you are going to have to sell and was like....WHAT?!?

Did you find new homes for your chinchillas?
I went to the PetExpo (or whatever it was called) in Messukeskus this saturday and I saw there was a "Suomen chinchilla RY" or something like that. Are you a member of them? I think they could find new homes for your babies.
Have you tried discussion forums for pet owners like
www.lemmikkipalstat.net / apula and a place called www.voimahali.fi

Yeah, it's called Suomen Lemmikkichinchillat ry. I resigned myself in a beginning of this year.. simply because in my opinion they s*ck.

2 of the chinchilla's are still here with me, but Im sure I'll find good homes for them soon :happy:

Back