Is it important for MJ to have another hit?

I think a better question would be: What kind of songs does Michael have to make in order for them to be hits? Should he just create and release music on his own i.e him doing all the writing, producing it and just sing about whatever subject he chooses with little or no interference from other songwriters, producers etc.? OR should he go the same route Madonna, Mariah Carey and Usher have done and just use all the latest "hit" producers and use the currently popular "beats, sound and hooks" in order for his music to get massive airplay and for music critics to give him props?

Your thoughts?

Last edited:
I think that it IS important that he has another hit to try and recover some kind of credibility in the public arena as a successful artists and entertainer.
I don’t necessarily think that it has to be a number 1, tho of course that would be excellent, but the main thing is to release successful music. It has been so long since he was at his peak that people easily forget. Even HIStory, which was treated as a bit of a failure by the press and public alike was 13 years ago this year! His last album Invincible is thought of as a flop by anyone that even remembers it (fans not included). The allegations, the years of negative spin in the media, the years of legal troubles, and the years of no musical activity have done severe damage to his career and image.

Because he has released no new music since 2001 and because he has released so many compilations in recent years he is no seen by virtually everybody as a nostalgia act, a legacy artist. In fact, Thriller 25 was released by Legacy recordings. In fact, in my eyes, Thriller 25 has done damage to MJs career. Sure, the album has been fairly successful around the world, but the new tracks/remixes were far from world class. Beat It sounds like it has been put together in somebody’s bedroom, not by a world class team. Mike was well known for having the best production on his albums – even people that didn’t like his music had to admit that – but Vince and Thriller 25 have ruined that image in my mind. Look at Madonna’s career. Because she so quickly and regularly releases music, she is still seen by many as relevant and a musical force. She hasn’t yet been relegated to the past even though she is the same age.

When Mike was younger and on top of the world I could see the sense in taking a while to release new material because it kept the world waiting, but these days the world is not waiting, it’s continuing and leaving him behind. It thinks he is incapable of releasing hit music. It think he is lazy and incapable of releasing music at all. Where he was once lauded as the greatest live entertainer that lived, that memory has even faded. That accolade is being applied to people like Madonna more and more, even though her on-stage ability has always been less than Mike’s. I keep referring to Madonna because they are of similar age and have both had major success in the 80s, yet she has played all the right cards over the last 10 years and Mike has done wrong at almost every time in terms of managing his career.

I am hoping that he can release good, successful music to restore some shine to his career. Even if the music does not set the world alight, I will be happy if it is just good music with catchy hooks and exciting melodies. I just want him to do the best he can for his own image and career. That’s something that he hasn’t done for a long time…

Michael is far more relevant than Madonna, I'm sorry (and he always will be). Every artist out here is imitating Michael. Not many are mentioning Madonna as an influence, or doing any tributes or anything related to her. Michael set the standard for every popular entertainer out here. They all follow in his foot steps. Including Madonna, herself. He's one of her inspirations (more like, she wants so desperately to be him, but she never will--pretty much like everyone else).

As long as Michael is happy I don't care about anything as trivial as having a hit...

Um, that's not "trivial" when you're the "King Of Pop".

Let's imagine you were a basketball player. Is scoring points "trivial"? Is dunking "trivial"? Or if you play golf. Is getting a hole in one "trivial"? No!! For some reason, people think think that musicians don't also have these goals...that they just want to "make good music" and "be artistic". Sure, that's all fine and dandy, but not at all realistic. Professional (successful) artists have to compromise to a certain degree, and learn how to balance the artistic with the commercial...something I believe Michael has done fantastically through his entire career.

Professional musicians want to be at the top in their field just like people in any other field of business (and entertainment).

his next track needs to f.uckin soar across the charts like a damn comet. however he gets it there, it needs to rip through any other artists work. he has to come with all engines going and not look back once.

I don't think he necessarily needs to, but it would only be beneficial. I can guarantee Michael himself wants this new album to be a hit. So yes, it definetly is important. A lot of people are just waiting to see what he'll do next. Many have high expectations (including myself) b/c he's Michael Jackson and everyone knows he's capable of the impossible musically.

his next track needs to f.uckin soar across the charts like a damn comet. however he gets it there, it needs to rip through any other artists work. he has to come with all engines going and not look back once.

I like the way you said that. I agree totally!!

His fans are the reason he continues to do what he was put on this earth to do Entertain.

The media for years are always questioning his relevancy and influence. A successful return back to the spotlight would be an another milestone for his career. Michael knows it`s the most important album for him.

Last edited:

Thats damn right! People who are saying MJ doesn't need another hit are fans who usually just into the Invincible threads with their "defensive" hats on! MJ knows he needs a hit, most the world know it, the media knows it!

Michael hasn't spent all this time working on stuff for it to flop! it doesn't matter if the song isn't a fan favourite or if he works with akon, will.i.am, uncle billy bob or the damn Queen, he needs this to step up and say "yeah 'member me! I am the thriller!"

I think a better question would be: What kind of songs does Michael have to make in order for them to be hits? Should he just create and release music on his own i.e him doing all the writing, producing it and just sing about whatever subject he chooses with little or no interference from other songwriters, producers etc.? OR should he go the same route Madonna, Mariah Carey and Usher have done and just use all the latest "hit" producers and use the currently popular "beats, sound and hooks" in order for his music to get massive airplay and for music critics to give him props?

Your thoughts?

yes i think it's important

he should not give a listen to any of us or our wants and desires. dude needs to do whatever with whoever to make the strongest play for the top of the charts. if he has to collaborate with the most unwanted person according to some of his 'loyal' fans, then so be it. non of you should fault him for trying to bring it back like a storm trooper. let the man with 40+ years of music industry experience, let him handle his mutha fuckin bidnizz childrens. PLEASE!

just bring that shit Michael --- BRING IT !!

I don't know why anyone here would fear Michael going the same rout as Madonna or whoever. Michael's hits have always been artistically brilliant works. He doesn't conform or do cookie-cutter pop songs just to please the massess. The reason he's the biggest recording artist in history is because he was and is able to offer something unique and innovative and appealing all at the same time. His music is timeless, and he's never created an album with ridiculous catchy tunes that burn up after 2 weeks, but songs which last forever and forever touch people and reach them. He's always created the highest quality music. Whoever he works with, it doesn't matter, because in the end, with Michael's hands on it, it will be the best in modern music, as it's always been with him. He's a genius, and that's no joke.

Last edited:
^^ :yes: ^^ :yes: ^^

exactly! and if Michael wants a quick hit with a flavor of the month, he should have it. the first track has to be a hit, it has to be. the first track cannot pull a 'lady in my life' and hang there and never pull it's wait. Dude will handle his shit the way he needs to i have faith in that. some others need to separate themselves from this shit and live they lives. and stop trying to live his.

I think that it IS important that he has another hit to try and recover some kind of credibility in the public arena as a successful artists and entertainer.
I don’t necessarily think that it has to be a number 1, tho of course that would be excellent, but the main thing is to release successful music. It has been so long since he was at his peak that people easily forget. Even HIStory, which was treated as a bit of a failure by the press and public alike was 13 years ago this year! His last album Invincible is thought of as a flop by anyone that even remembers it (fans not included). The allegations, the years of negative spin in the media, the years of legal troubles, and the years of no musical activity have done severe damage to his career and image.

Because he has released no new music since 2001 and because he has released so many compilations in recent years he is no seen by virtually everybody as a nostalgia act, a legacy artist. In fact, Thriller 25 was released by Legacy recordings. In fact, in my eyes, Thriller 25 has done damage to MJs career. Sure, the album has been fairly successful around the world, but the new tracks/remixes were far from world class. Beat It sounds like it has been put together in somebody’s bedroom, not by a world class team. Mike was well known for having the best production on his albums – even people that didn’t like his music had to admit that – but Vince and Thriller 25 have ruined that image in my mind. Look at Madonna’s career. Because she so quickly and regularly releases music, she is still seen by many as relevant and a musical force. She hasn’t yet been relegated to the past even though she is the same age.

When Mike was younger and on top of the world I could see the sense in taking a while to release new material because it kept the world waiting, but these days the world is not waiting, it’s continuing and leaving him behind. It thinks he is incapable of releasing hit music. It think he is lazy and incapable of releasing music at all. Where he was once lauded as the greatest live entertainer that lived, that memory has even faded. That accolade is being applied to people like Madonna more and more, even though her on-stage ability has always been less than Mike’s. I keep referring to Madonna because they are of similar age and have both had major success in the 80s, yet she has played all the right cards over the last 10 years and Mike has done wrong at almost every time in terms of managing his career.

I am hoping that he can release good, successful music to restore some shine to his career. Even if the music does not set the world alight, I will be happy if it is just good music with catchy hooks and exciting melodies. I just want him to do the best he can for his own image and career. That’s something that he hasn’t done for a long time…

Harsh words...but I completely agree with it. Its the cold hard truth....

If Michael chose not to release an album.. he would not need another hit..

But since he chose to do it..

he needs a BIG hit.. If it's not BIG, many people wont forgive it untill he's gone, and importilized for what he has done.. But as a living celeb, he would bothered, talked about worse so than he was after 2001..

This is his most detrimental album of his career.. YES 50 + years from now it wont matter if it was good or not, because what people will remember is what he did GREAT.... People don't remember the 'bad' artwork michelangelo did... They just recognize his GREAT work.. That will be the same for Michael..

But while he's on this earth, they will use every moment to use a 'bad' album against him.. His abilities will be questioned and doubted more than ever.. If it's not a HIT..

It would have been 'safer' for Michael to just take it easy and not release an album.. but that's not the MICHAEL I know and love.. He loves living dangerously :)

I have no doubt he has his entire hope for the album is to shock the music industry.. I mean that's what drives him to keep bringin' it.. To awe people, to give them more than what they expect.. BAM!!

You guys can contiue debating if MJ NEEDS a HIT.. But there is no doubt in my mind that Michael is going after a HIT..

I wish that he would be number one on iTunes. I don't know if in other countries his songs are #1, but in the US, there's so much more competition, and just seeing maybe his remixes for Thriller as number one is really something here. I don't know if it's important for him or something, but I know it's important for his fans. :D

There really isn't any competition, lol. These acts today are so weak that it's laughable and they're all basicially just trying to be Michael anyway, lol. Michael is going for a hit I think and he'll get it. Once Michael set's out to do something, no one can stop him. Ya'll should know that by now.

^ And that's why he never says that he tries to outsell this artist or that artists.. He says, he tries to outsell the last album HE did..

The only compitition is HIMSELF..

MJ releasing an album would sell good simply because of his name.... Now you add the GENIUS that MJ is... That's what takes it to the MJ level..

He releases an album of singing about eye boogers, and juicy fruit yogert, it would sell 5 million.. (no instramentals, no hook, nothin..) Just freestyle.. ha ha!!

Now u put the REAL MJ and his passion into it.. there is no compitition with anyone else..

I'm not going to lie, I'm going to be disappointed if the public doesn't accept and appreciate the new material Michael has to offer. Selfishly, I'm just hoping Michael dominates the charts again... for his sake. Nobody wants/needs this to be another Invincible album with poor record sales (in comparison to other albums) and terrible promotion. That album got 3 stars from critics which is something foreign to Michael.

We all know Michael is doing his best and striving for perfection, but I bet he was with the Invincible album as well. You just never know... IMO, Michael needs to make all the right moves in order to put damage control on his public image.

So true.

Finally someone tells the truth lol.

I think it is mostly important to Michael that he has another hit, he's always aiming for the biggest and best. Its probably been said already but Michael wouldn't be recording a new album if he didn't want another hit. He deserves it too cause he works so hard on his albums

Music is in Michael Jackson's DNA...I'm not sure I know what a hit is...I've not heard one in awhile.:lol: Maybe my standards are too high. Having said that, I have no expectations as to whether or not it'll be a hit or miss with the public, sales figures etc. I know what "I" like to listen to and music is very subjective anyway...musical tastes differ from person to person. Even the fans argue over what is a "Hit"...so long as Michael had fun creating and doing his thing ...it's all good! From what I've heard of his music and creativity in the last 30+ years, he's more than capable of "Bringing It!"

Its been 13 years since he has topped the singles charts. That is a long time.

I think that it is important that the FIRST single is a hit. The first single is important because it will decide whether people take an interest into the rest of the record or not. If people hear that the first single flopped, it will probably give them the mindset that the rest of the album will follow the same pattern. It kind of works that way too, well, in the USA anyways. Example using US singles peaks in lead up to album release and week 1 US album sales:

Lil Wayne lead single: Lollipop #1 - album week 1 sales approx 1million USA
Mariah lead single: Touch My Body #1 - sales approx 480,000
Usher lead single: Love In This Club #1 - sales of approx 450,000
Madonna lead single: 4 Minutes #3 - sales approx 280,000
Janet lead single: Feedback #19 - sales approx 180,000

I know that each artist has its own following, but, the pattern is still there (for these examples anyway) (i realise i have only listed 5 situations and ignored hundreds of others but this is for arguements sake)

And imagine the reward for all the hard work being a hit. It would be automatically worth it. No one can argue with a hit. Whether one person personally likes or dislikes something does NOT matter.. because a hit is the majority. If its #1 it means no one has a more popular song at that time. No critic could argue with that, and if they did, they would look stupid!

A hit would be amazing for Michael's confidence also and give him more belief that second and third singles would succeed also.

I think a hit is important, yes:)

Last edited:
Not only does the single need to be a hit to generate good initial sales of the album, but the album (and single) absolutely MUST get good reviews in the music papers/magazines.
If the reviewers say that it is good, the general public will be interested in giving the album a listen, therefore generating more sales, even if the single isn't all that. BUT if the reviewers say the album is bad then alot of people will just switch off to the album and won't give it a chance even with a hit single.
Also, lets not forget the massive role radio play will have in the chance of success. The only reason Madonna has been doing fairly well recently is because for some reason radio has stood behind her firmly. In the UK atleast, Michael Jackson has not had that luxury in years.

You Rock My World wasn't getting as much airplay as many other singles of the time, but was fairly well supported by regional radio.

Cry was pretty much ignored (I heard it once on Chris Moyles' show on Radio 1 who played it right to the end and then started ripping it out of the bit where Mike says 'save the world'(Or was it heal the world I can't remember? - I hated that song) at the end.
One More Chance was pretty much ignored by everyone, despite doing fairly well on request shows)
The Girls IS Mine 2008 was pretty much ignored
Wanna Be Startin Somethin 08 is being pretty much ignored.

None of those songs (with the slight exception of YRMW) were particularly hit song material anyway, so I can understand why radio wouldn't latch onto them properly, but if Mike does recapture the magic with some hit songs can you see radio adding them to their A-list and playing them once an hour? I can't.
Radio1 certainly won't play Michael Jackson. No chance.
Radio 2 might play the songs a few times, but knowing Mikehe will aim at Radio 1s demographic, which means it won't be popular among Radio 2 listeners.

The only stations I can see supporting the single fully are KISS FM and Capital FM in London because they have consistently supported new MJ singles but they cover a relatively small area of the UK.

So, I think it IS important for Mike to have a hit, but I think there are so many odds stacked against that I don't know if it's really possible without a substatial effort being put in by fans to request the songs and make sure they are played, because to be honest the fans these days just cannot be bothered. On the old MJNI board you coudl set up a support thread and literally hundreds would vote, or reply but these days barely any show any interest at all. You could send a link to a poll and hundreds would vote and influence the final outcome. Not any more. You could post a negative story or negative thread on another board and hundreds would stand up. There were many times when standing up for Mike resulted in changes being made to stories printed in the press, radio presenters changed their attitude while on air to be more neutral or positive, and radios would start playing songs that they did ot play previously. Now, because nobody can be bothered I can't see anything changing. It's sad really, but I partly put this down Mike's own inactivity. Between each album, fan base shrinks and Mike's is shrinking quicker and quicker with every year that passes because more peope are becoming fed up with waiting. A strong fan base can do wonders and help propel a song to the top 10, but these days Mike's fan base seems to be lucky to get a new single into the top 40. WBSS was released this week as a download single and isn't even in the itunes top100!! In contrast, Madonna's fan base has shrunk significantly less becasuse of her frequent album releases, promotion, and less reclusive lifestyle so she has a much better chance of success than Mike.

If Mike wants a hit he's going to have to do several things;

1) Record a record capable of being a hit. A song that people will want to hear time and again on the radio, so it must be less personal or aggresive than some of the tracks he has recorded over the years. Stay away from the cheesy songs like Cry or Heal The World or Lost Children. They will never chart.
2) Get the right team behind him to help with the record. Not only find the best collaborations and create good songs, but if they are going to be 15 minute wonders, make sure that the damn record is released BEFORE their 15 minutes are up!!
3) Get out and promote the hell out of the record to make sure that people can't ignore that it's out. He should go on TV and radio to do interviews about the music! Radio will have to play the song if they want him on their stations. Get on the awards shows and perform!! There are several big shows every year and he should appear on some. In fact, even between albums he should keep a higher profile than he has in the past. Do magazine interviews and shoots. Give exclusives to newspapers.
4) Tour!! You have to not only promote the album and singles with music videos, but he has to tour to generate an ongoing buzz.
5) Get a great team running the album from behind the scenes. From what I have seen from Sony ever since HIStory, they are notoriously bad at releasing things. Just look at the release of WBSS as a recent example. Many fans didn't even know when it was coming out and it was near impossible to find the information. There is still confusion in some peoples minds about whether it willbe released physically in the UK or not. The only reason for that is lack of clear advice from Sony on the lead up to the release.

Last edited:
I agree that the first single must be big.. It needs to be a radio friendly, hummable tune that everyone can listen

I think it is important for MJ to have another hit. When it comes to his legacy, yes. MJ has accomplished so much in his life as a performer/entertainer. He made so much money that he can retire right now. I also believe that he really does not have to do any more albums. He has accomplished what any entertainer/performer wants to accomplished. However, he still wants to do this work.

Part of his job is to have a hit single. He did not become so successful without hits. He would not have this lifestyle if he did not have hit records. MJ has to be emotionally, mentally and physicially in this in order to make the best CD that he can possibly make. I really want him to go for whatever goals he has made regarding his new project.

In order for MJ to have hits, he should not try to fit in. It seems that Mariah, Janet, Madonna are trying to fit in with the Beyonces, Rihannas and the Britneys and the weird thing about it is that those "hot" singers/entertainers were once fans of those three icons. They were trying to fit in into something that they created. MJ should do what he is known to do: make great music and never fit in. MJ never fit in and should never try to. If MJ is doing a song with a known hip hop producer, he should not be looking like a hip hop artist. The music should speak for itself. MJ should not try to do songs that are played on the radio everyday, every two hours. Most of the songs that are hits are really bad. The fact that Lil Wayne is number one on the billboard charts selling a million a week with that awful song, "Lollypop" tells you that there is something wrong with the music that is being played. MJ should do music that he is known for.

MJ's first single has to be uptempo, completely different from what we (if you people still listen to the radio) hear on the radio and fresh. Like with Ne-Yo's single, "Closer", it was different from what he usually does, but it is fresh and the sounding is almost "new" to many people. The video or short film of the single should be a shocker. Madonna used to do this: she released the single "Like a Prayer" on a Pepsi commerical and no one predicted that the video would be such a shocker to many people. When that video was released, people were angry and shocked. No matter the controvestry, Madonna had a hit single and a banned (was that video banned?) video. I am not saying that MJ's short film should anger people, but it should shock people. How shocking the video should be is the real question.

Michael got this and I do believe that he will have a huge hit single. He has the forumla for it: people miss his music, he is not in the spotlight that much, people ask about him, he still can make music, producers are talking about working with MJ, MJ has great credibility when it comes to hits. So, I am confident that MJ will have a hit single.

Last edited:
I really really hope Michael has another "HIT" (if thats what he wants) because if he releases new material that maybe isn't as good as expected the press will have a field day going on about how he has "lost it". No matter how great a new song may be, i feel there are a few people who will refuse to listen or buy because they have a negative opinion of MJ as a person ( I am sure you know what i mean :( ).
As other people have said before, i think promotion is vital. Most musicians realeasing new material go through weeks of interviews and public appearances before hand to plug it. I have no doubt that all of these talk shows would love to have MJ and so would be willing to say very positive things abouthis music however i think that Michael would be very reluctant to do that. The girl is mine 2008 and Wanna be startin' something 2008 have had barely any promotion and i feel that is a reasn for them not doing well so far. A good video is also very important, something that will be played on TV regularly will make sure as many people as possible hear the track.

Anyway i'm sure Michael is capable of doing all this, and he will do it - if he really wants it. He has already done so much that he will be remembered for and so we fans should stand by him whatever he chooses to do in the future.

Back