Is it important for MJ to have another hit?

eighthnoterojo

Proud Member
Is it important for MJ to have another hit? And is it important that his future music receive critical acclaim and/or awards of recognition? If so, why, and just how important are these things? Which of these post-album release results are the most important?

Maybe this has been asked before, I don't remember. If so, this thread can be merged or moved.

Quincy Jones has said something to the effect that anyone who says they can create an album with the sole intention of getting it to number one and succeed in doing so is lying. (Sorry, I don't have the exact quote.)

MJ has said something along the lines that his intention when making Thriller was to make the best-selling album all time. (Sorry, I don't have that quote either. lol If someone knows the exact quote, they can post it.)

Hmm.

How exactly does one go about having a hit album, let alone a hit song? Is there logic in taking this approach? What makes for a hit? My answer: I don't think anyone really knows exactly.

Generally, I think I agree with Q. So how is it that it worked in MJ's case with Thriller, an album chock full of hits, well lauded and award-sweeping? I think the way he used a 'unified diversity' of styles and genres on the album helped with the album's success in that there were many things for many people on it, and that helped it to produce a lot of hits. Along with other factors as well, including ground-breaking videos and other out-of-this-world enhancing visual performances.

It seems there are certain factors that can increase your chances of having a hit, or at least a great song. Although even having a great song is no guarantee that you'll have a hit. And sometimes, even songs that are not very good become hits. (Ex. *insert generic not good hit song here*)

In no particular order:

-Top of the line musicians, engineers, producers.
-Having an established name that people recognize for past good music.
-Good timing. If one is lucky, there won't be too many other great songs that come out at the same time, creating competition for the top spot.
-Innovation. Not a requirement, but can help. Something new and different; could be a fresh sound, a new melding of genres, or some other element. People get bored.
-Exposure, promotion and marketing. (Money.) People have to hear your song, and the more often the better so they will remember it.
-Quality and/or catchiness in at least two of the five main elements of music: melody, harmony, rhythm, timbre and lyrics. Highly subjective.
-More heads can be better than one. Not all, but many top songwriters work in tandem with other songwriters and/or lyricists and get better results than when they go it alone.
-Quality visual enhancement. Such as interesting videos and fine concert performances.

Well, that is what I have come up with so far; there may be other things as well.

In terms of critical response and awards, albums with social significance, or deeper subject matter tend to do better than 'feel-good' albums. And will has said the new album is a 'feel good' one. Now, I have a beef with this issue. I feel that 'happy' music doesn't get a fair deal. It can take just as much effort and skill to make such music as the deeper stuff, yet is deemed less 'worthy' somehow. This can be seen in film as well. The awards generally go to films that deal with serious issues (dramas) and not to the comedic ones. I resent this. lol I wonder why it is this way. Both types of music produce an emotional response. Isn't that enough? Isn't that what's important? Aren't there enough bad things going on in the world and in our daily lives? Do we have to be reminded all the time? We need positive music! Well really, I want positive music. lol There can indeed be fun music that tells a good story, or can make us think. Alright, enough ranting. lol

I've just been reading a thread elsewhere about MJ's last studio album, Invincible. This album gets a lot of flack; some say it's too retro in style, and that there's nothing ground-breaking about it. Others say it's ahead of it's time. Talk about polar opposites! lol Who is right? With something as subjective as music, it's hard to find a consensus, and there's obviously no pleasing everyone.

Ok, I'm gonna wrap up it up with this; on every MJ album there are always at least 5-6 tracks that I enjoy a lot, and usually at least 1 or 2 that I absolutely flip out over, sometimes more. And sure, I would be happy if MJ had another hit. But as long as the music is really good, quality music that I enjoy, that's all that really matters to me. The music can be fun, edgy, deep, a mix of these, whatever, (although I hope it's mostly fun lol) as long as it's good. Based on MJ's past output, I figure I won't be dissapointed.

I hope MJ, the Tiger Woods of the music biz lol, hits an eagle with this new album, and succeeds in whatever goals he has for it. If anyone can do it, it's MJ. :)

In terms of his public image and commercial success, yes. In terms of artistic success, no. But he's aiming for a hit, I'm sure of it. Because he want's to establish himself on the charts again and make people notice that he's still THE major force in the industry and he's not to be taken lightly. He's different then other artists his age and older, the standard for him is higher and the expectation is higher. People still view him as totally commercially viable and he is. He'll have a hit. Michael know's how to make hits.

In terms of his public image and commercial success, yes. In terms of artistic success, no. But he's aiming for a hit, I'm sure of it. Because he want's to establish himself on the charts again and make people notice that he's still THE major force in the industry and he's not to be taken lightly. He's different then other artists his age and older, the standard for him is higher and the expectation is higher. People still view him as totally commercially viable and he is. He'll have a hit. Michael know's how to make hits.

But if by chance he doesn't what would it mean? Not on this board, but on another MJ board I visit, every single day Kaymon/Jaydom and others go on like the world will actually end if MJ doesn't get a hit soon. I'm one of those fans that want MJ to have a hit again too, but I don't see it as a life and death type of thing. But others seem to.

I don't see it as that either. If he doesn't, he doesn't. He's still a genius and at the end of the day, it doesn't matter what anyone thinks. I just happen to be confident that he can have hits still. Big hits. But I don't think it's essential to him or his career by any means. It would simply be very nice and make people shut up. He has nothing to prove.

Last edited:
If Michael will have only 1 NO1 single in this decade, (this yead or next year) he will be the only artist ho who has NO1 singles in 4 decades - 70's, 80's, 90's and 00's

If Michael will have only 1 NO1 single in this decade, (this yead or next year) he will be the only artist ho who has NO1 singles in 4 decades - 70's, 80's, 90's and 00's

i know..im soo pissed YRMW didnt hit number 1..but i know he can do it

Michael personally doesn't need another hit. He has done so much already. People only dream to do what he has done. Now if he wanted to get rid of the "has Been" image that the media is stating as fact then yes. But then again the media will never stop talking down about MJ, because of their jealousy, and insecurities, of his power.

He doesn't need one to remain a big influence of the past. If his heart is not into it, he shouldn't even try. But if he's hungry and wants to come out with new material, it's a completely different story. And then yes, he needs a big hit in order to succeed. I think he can, too, but only if he really wants to and is ready and willing to do full promotion.

I think that it IS important that he has another hit to try and recover some kind of credibility in the public arena as a successful artists and entertainer.
I don’t necessarily think that it has to be a number 1, tho of course that would be excellent, but the main thing is to release successful music. It has been so long since he was at his peak that people easily forget. Even HIStory, which was treated as a bit of a failure by the press and public alike was 13 years ago this year! His last album Invincible is thought of as a flop by anyone that even remembers it (fans not included). The allegations, the years of negative spin in the media, the years of legal troubles, and the years of no musical activity have done severe damage to his career and image.

Because he has released no new music since 2001 and because he has released so many compilations in recent years he is no seen by virtually everybody as a nostalgia act, a legacy artist. In fact, Thriller 25 was released by Legacy recordings. In fact, in my eyes, Thriller 25 has done damage to MJs career. Sure, the album has been fairly successful around the world, but the new tracks/remixes were far from world class. Beat It sounds like it has been put together in somebody’s bedroom, not by a world class team. Mike was well known for having the best production on his albums – even people that didn’t like his music had to admit that – but Vince and Thriller 25 have ruined that image in my mind. Look at Madonna’s career. Because she so quickly and regularly releases music, she is still seen by many as relevant and a musical force. She hasn’t yet been relegated to the past even though she is the same age.

When Mike was younger and on top of the world I could see the sense in taking a while to release new material because it kept the world waiting, but these days the world is not waiting, it’s continuing and leaving him behind. It thinks he is incapable of releasing hit music. It think he is lazy and incapable of releasing music at all. Where he was once lauded as the greatest live entertainer that lived, that memory has even faded. That accolade is being applied to people like Madonna more and more, even though her on-stage ability has always been less than Mike’s. I keep referring to Madonna because they are of similar age and have both had major success in the 80s, yet she has played all the right cards over the last 10 years and Mike has done wrong at almost every time in terms of managing his career.

I am hoping that he can release good, successful music to restore some shine to his career. Even if the music does not set the world alight, I will be happy if it is just good music with catchy hooks and exciting melodies. I just want him to do the best he can for his own image and career. That’s something that he hasn’t done for a long time…

Last edited:
It IS important. But I hope he doesn't make an album full of commercial crap just to get to his goal... I mean, I hope that he just makes the music he enjoys making and that people who listen to will enjoy, and not just make some irritatingly catchy songs ala TIMBALAND AKON and other losers...

It's not a life or death thing, but for his career and legacy I think it IS important. I sure hope he can muster at least a minor hit.

Last edited:
It IS important. But I hope he doesn't make an album full of commercial crap just to get to his goal... I mean, I hope that he just makes the music he enjoys making and that people who listen to will enjoy, and not just make some irritatingly catchy songs ala TIMBALAND AKON and other losers...
Yep and if you listen to Madonna's 80's music and her new album Hard Candy.. I don't want Michael to change like that :no:
Keep it original!

I'm completely agree with you,I'm sure that it is important for him,for us also.

I think Mike himself would be VERY disappointed if the new album didn't include a #1 hit!

It's not important to me, but I believe it is for him, to know that people still like his music and that focus is still on that and not all the crap the media writes about him.

I don't want Michael to write songs just to go on MTV..
The best thing he can do is write some music HE LIKES!

Well he has had a long Career but it's always good to have a hit every once in a while.He did work his tail off when he was younger and had much success but if any of his new songs didn't make the charts or No. 1, I'll still support him. He still Thrills me and he'll keep on thrilling people for decades to come.

It's important for Michael to have another hit.. But it's important that since he's releasing another album for it to be a hit..

If he were not to do anything.. That would be fine, but since he is chosing to release a new album, it's important to be a hit..

Not saying that his career would be tarnished if it flopped, but it would have negitive effects.

are'nt there enough fans out there / in here, that he does not need big hits, but only good music which we appreciate.

So many of his new songs or unreleased songs are good,too, but they are not counted has hits. so does it matter? for him ofcourse, for us.....

of course its important. you are only as good as you last game as the saying goes and it would be very sad for mj to leave his career as it is now. like what he did with history after 93 and the success he had and it all been thrown in the haters faces. but the longer it takes the longer i wonder if he will.

Well I think its important too, but I don't have to worry about any of that, cause deep in my heart I know he will. I think that like, MJ is such a great artist/singer and I know that whatever he puts his heart and soul into, it always, ALWAYS turns out to be great.

I don't WANT to look at the negatives right now, after everything that's happened in the last 7-8 years.

Back