Is it the hate that brings you back?

Proud Member
Do you ever feel that you want to take a break from Michael's music..and then you spend a long time away from sites like this one..but then, after a long drought and being bombarded with the crap that is currently on the radio, you long to get back to hearing Michael's music again, so you randomly go check out a youtube vid of one of his songs, and then..you see the commentary, below the vids. And among the commentary is that horde of haters, who still wave that flag of the great lie..the accusation of calling him a pedo. And that's the only flag they continue to carry. And then the emotions well up inside you..the emotions you swore you would not feel, in honor of Michael...the emotions that make you want to do away with these haters...so...you come back to a site like this...and look for complete comradery..a place where you know you won't hear the hate?
Could this, ironically be one of the things that assures the longevity of Michael's fanbase? And the fact that...once a Michael Jackson fan..always a Michael Jackson fan....even if you think there is a statute of limitations..even for being a Michael Jackson fan?

Does anyone else, here, experience this, like i do?

For me the reason is simply cause I experience music extremely strongly and I listen to the same songs too much. After a while it becomes too heavy emotionally so I back off for a while, until I come back to it again. I tend to ignore the negative comments about Michael, because I know you cannot reason with someone who is just trolling and spreading hate.

I don't take a break from MJ's music (but I listen to a lot of other music at the same time), but I know what you mean about the hater comments on youtube. I'm trying to enjoy one of his videos and for once it would be nice not to see one of those nasty comments. :mello:

I don't take a break from MJ's music (but I listen to a lot of other music at the same time), but I know what you mean about the hater comments on youtube. I'm trying to enjoy one of his videos and for once it would be nice not to see one of those nasty comments. :mello:
I only check the most voted ones, but nothing more. It's pointless cos there's always someone who is jealous of him trying to troll.

Myself I have never had to take a break from the music or the fan base. In fact I have held on even tighter becuase It was my only salvation to deal with all the pain and hurt of loosing him. but I do think the hate against him makes me want to stay even more be connected and defend him. Being youtube was brought up, I remember when I first came on youtube 2006 the hatred was immense and MJ fans were not united there at all. Once we formed an alliance there and gathered as a Army we attracted much attention of the general public and other channels and they joined with us to defend Michael on many videos. So many were afraid becuase they were out numbered with attcks. Once they saw much more positive comments and defenses againt the trolls they came forward . I can deal with the haters, in fact I expect hate from these trolls. I feel Most who hate on Michael are just Haters in general and they pick the most vunerable targets.

But to be honest The hate that effects me most is coming from MJ fans themselves when defending Michael or their views on various issues in the fan base .. I cringe and hurt when I see MJ represented in that manner. I think it reflects badly on Michael's fan base and on Michael himself when fans do that. Everything he stood for is thrown out the window. It hurts me deeply in my heart. I feel his own example is the best way to get our message out. I'm not saying lay down and be doormats but address the issues intelligently and with a bit respect to show who it is indeed we are representing. As fans We should not be promoting hateful agenda's in Michael's name.

Some mislead factions of the fan base now proudly wave a banner of hate attacking any fans that don't support their mission. There is no shaming them or reasoning with them - They refuse to stop :cry: We are so divided on many issues that now fans are hating on fans. I cant support any part of the fan base that does this. I'm deeply saddened by it. If we could all come together we could better defend against haters, celebrate Michael's music and bring public awareness to it and his beautiful message. But we aren't going to succeed in that as long as we are occupying ourselves with hating on each other. I'm glad at MJJC we try to allow various views and concerns but enforce a rule of respect at least for one another. Our Love for Michael is our main bond and it is him that makes us try harder to love and respect one another .. Its not always easy when we are so divided on may issues .. We do it for the love of Michael. (I have a dream )

No, because I don't care what other people think--ever. However, I find myself coming back here after not posting for a bit if there are relevant Michael-related news such as the most recent Jackson drama, which unfortunately involved his children. This is among the best places to discuss such events because commentators on general news sites, gossip sites, or social networks such as Twitter are often ill-informed or just post crazy/extraneous things or spam. On here, at least, such people are for the most part weeded out and the average MJJC user is better informed on these things than the average user elsewhere.

As for his music, how much Michael I listen to depends mostly on my mood, but also in part on what shuffle decides, since my iPod is permanently on shuffle. Some of his songs I almost always skip over because they seldom fit the mood I am in, but there are songs that I just cannot skip over, ever, such as: Morphine, For All Time, The Way You Make Me Feel, They Don't Care About Us, Invincible, Scream, to name but a few.

In short, the answer to your questions is no.

There have been quite a few times where I had taken breaks from Michael's music and videos. And after a while I totally regret it. And it wasn't because of the hate. The hate makes me want to listen and to watch him even more. To remind myself of why I just L.O.V.E. being a fan of his in the first place. But after what had happen to him. Watching and listening to him and my depression over him. Made it all the more harder for me to want to watch and listen to him. Like I used to when we still had him. So I just plainly stop listening and watching him. Especially watching him. Where I haven't seen a single one of my MJ videos since May of 2010. And I seldom listen to him. I replace him with my Bollywood music. And Shahrukh Khan became my new Michael to watch. But I am totally changing that now. Not only am I back to listening to him again. I am determine to go back and watch him again. Just as soon as Bad 25 comes out. I want that Wembley Concert to be the first MJ related video to see. In over 2 years.

I didn't really take breaks from the music, maybe the news but I always had his music playing even when other stuff interested me too. I don't pay attention to the critics upon Michael because I know they're not true. How can that affect my love for the man? lies won't change how I feel about him. And on the contrary, when he passed away I began listening to every single song of his. It was emotional yes, but it was a way of dealing with the pain the loss of my favorite singer had caused. People will always call him names, make fun of his skin (disease) and try to get to us with that, but to me it doesn't work. Then there's the so called believers, well let's not go there, to me that kind of people really ruin the experience of keeping Michael's legacy with their appalling thoughts. But that's a different issue.

For me the reason is simply cause I experience music extremely strongly and I listen to the same songs too much. After a while it becomes too heavy emotionally so I back off for a while, until I come back to it again. I tend to ignore the negative comments about Michael, because I know you cannot reason with someone who is just trolling and spreading hate.

I'm quoting myself here, but just to prove my point; I listened to They Don't Care About Us & Smile a lot yesterday and cried for like an hour, just cos of the music and today I'm having a music-free day lol I just react to it waaaaaaaaay to emotionally.

In the last 30 years I never had a break of his music , him...Some ppl asked me " don"t you get bored ? " and I say - never.
Really. Till this day I hear Billie Jean and I still have goosbumps. MJ has that effect on me. He is a part of my life...not just some singer I love. He really is Another part of me...:)
So..I will never let go , that is unthinkable.
He has been the joy of my life for so long and still is. But when sadness gets me ( which is very often..) sometimes I wish I did not love him this much. Life would be much easier that way. Memories are all we have now.
I get so deeply sad when I realise that there would never be a new picture of him walking with his kids....hearing news about him ...that kills me. :( :( :(
Nothing and nobody touched me like he did. His music..his words...everything he stood for.
I guess that is that special bond between MJ and his true fans - once you fell in love with him - you can"t let go.

I actually ended up taking a break after my Hollywood trip in April 2009,then two days before he passed,I just started listening to him again,then he died.It was the most heartwrenching thing to ever happen to me in the world,despite me only being a fan three years prior to his death,but continuing on being an even bigger fan after he passed.Honestly,I don't ever take a break and come back for hate,I come back just because I miss it and it breaks my heart to see all of the hatred on many news/media outlets,including Youtube.

I listen to all kinds of music, so I don't really get bored or need to take a break, unless I've played a certain album or song on repeat for a long time... that happens sometimes.

I was a kid in the 80s, and for me, Michael was kind of always there, and when listening to certain songs from the older albums, it takes me right back to where I was and how I felt all those years ago. It's like a time machine.

As I myself have been picked on all my life, I have learned not to pay too much attention to that... but you know, now that I think about it, I think that part of the attraction for me in those early days probably WAS the fact that people made fun of him etc... it was easy for me to relate to him.

In one word "No".

I never get a break from Michael Jackson's music.

For me there are too many sounds, genres that Mike touched for me to stop listening to his music.. There are songs for every mood, and many styles. He's not the only person I listen to, but I dont stop...

The reason I keep coming back to the site is the news/updates.. I mean after he passed away I have much less reasons to come back on regulary... I remember June 26th 2009 the first thing I said when I woke up was telling my girlfriend.. This is crazy, this is the first day as far back as I can remember that I don't wonder what Michael Jackson is up to.... It is still a surreal feeling to know, I wont come back to hear an announcement HE will make, a sighting, or newly recorded music...

OK that was slightly off topic, but I come back to see if the estate has any announcements, or opportunity of never seen footage or heard music/audio...

The onlything I get tired of in MJ sites is the drama.. MJ family brings drama yes, but fans add onto it way too much in my opinion.. (NOT EVERYONE) but a large majority. The complaintes, the wines, the accusations, the sh** talking.. It's like after MJ passed fans forgot what MJ stood for.. Makes me think fans acted a sertain way back then ONLY because they had the thought in the back of there minds. "What if MJ read what I wrote".. Now thats out, the real personalities come out.

Slightly off topic here but about the last part of the previous comment. We can't expect personalities to be held back, IMO and the forum is mainly a discussion one. We are all nice people I'm sure but when something bothers you, you can't hide it or hold it back, of course it has everything to do with personality and you can't expect that to change. That doesn't make us any less aware of what Michael stood for, we all strive to be better people but it's certainly not an easy task.

I use youtube a lot for music as well. To get away from the hate, I listen to the songs that only fans know. All kinds of people will show up on Thriller, but it's mostly just fans on Even Though You're Gone, That's What You Get for Being Polite, Blues Away, bad tour clips, demos, extended remixes, etc. It's like a private fans only part of youtube. I learned a lot about his back catalog that way.

I notice that, since his passing, there is a lot less hate for him, at least in the general world. There will always be hate on the internet and Youtubes and such. However, most people still just say things like "Yeah, I love Thriller/Beat It/Billie Jean/Black Or White!" or "I like his 80's stuff, then he got weird." That is always a bummer, but some people just don't get it. Then there are those who just downright say he "molested kids" or "turned white". I don't let it affect me. I just smile and shake my head, explain the truth when they're willing to listen.

As for taking breaks from his music, I never do. I think The Healer said it best:
Some ppl asked me " don"t you get bored ? " and I say - never.
Really. Till this day I hear Billie Jean and I still have goosbumps. MJ has that effect on me. He is a part of my life...not just some singer I love. He really is Another part of me...:)

I absolutely get what you mean but I have to admit since Michael died the tide has turned signifcantly and now finally it seems the fans and those who don't want to have those kind of comments (regardless of their beliefs of Michael's innocence) are outnumbering the haters. Let them hate, let them troll and build up views. I don't take breaks from Michael's music or documentaries/videos but I do from sites like this one... The madness of the Jacksons has brought me back for the last few weeks however.

I certainly have seen the hate out there, but it is not as prevalent anymore, and in truth the haters will always be there, ppl like that don't change, and they are everywhere not only in Michael sites . I ignore it now. I learned my lesson when I tried to reason with one of them around the time Michael passed. It was so frustrating and I decided it is no use. Like many posters have said, the good comments outnumber the haters by a significant amount so let them hate. The best way to combat them is to ignore them; THAT kills them.

As far as coming back to this site, I haven't really stopped coming here. I feel a certain comraderie here. It is this place that helped me heal and keep going. When I come here I know ppl will understand my love for Michael. It feels good inside. This is my MJ family, imo. When it comes to the music and his videos, at first it was hard, I was scared when listening or watching him how I would feel. I know when I picked a magazine and read about him (VF article) I cried and sobbed for hours, it was sooo hard. But thank God, when I finally did listen and saw him in his videos, it felt really good in a way that made me heal. I felt closer to him than ever. I hung on to every lyric, every note, every breath, everything was intensified, he was alive when that happened. He is immortal through his artistry and I feel that way when I turn on his music. I never stop listening to his music. I will never stop loving him!

Since I found this place I haven´t stopped coming.
I had never been to a fanforum before,I thought it was just for younger persons.
Devoted persons who stood there screaming outside Michaels hotelroom and I´m not like that.
It took a year before I understood what a reputation button was.....
In 2009 I was new on youtube too and I was surprised over so much hate,I got a password there just to be able to defend him.
Nowadays I most go to youtube and watch videos fans made to dancing the dream.

There was a question why I wanted to join this forum and I wrote I wanted to heal the world together with other fans.
There is still a world to heal and I still want to help Michael with that.
Even if I know a lot about how I can help I can learn more from fans coming from different parts of the world.
Sometimes I imagine Michael would say to me I said heal the world ,not spay/neuter it...
I read a comment who said if more parents had been neutered, there would be less haters..

If I hadn´t come here I might have believed that the Murray "documentary"was true and I wouldn´t know about Bad25.
Michael said he wanted to take us to places we never been to before.
For me it starts here with this forum and then I come to unknown places.

It´s like a spell(a nice one)Michael is almost always on my mind and most things remind me of him.
I think only other fans can understand it.

no, for me, the loves bring me back:) and there are some many positive remarks on you-tube, we should learn to see the good also...and I love to see these young kids that fell in love with Michael after he was gone...I'm think to how lucky I was having the chance to really enjoy him for 17 years while he was here with us! I love to hear his voice and that's why all these new releases are so exciting for me...

Obviously everyone is different, but I never felt that I need to take a break from Michael's music (Why should I feel that? If I like a music then I like a music). But I'm upset and saddened that when I go to YT or to an article about MJ I get to see hateful, ignorant comments. It breaks my heart because Michael of all people doesn't deserve to be remembered like a pedophile, like a criminal. He was not and I feel people need to be enlightened on the facts of the allegations against him. This is the thing that, unfortunately, threatens his legacy the most. Many people acknowledge he was a great artist, but then comes the "BUT" and they start to talk about the allegations.

Of course, usually you can tell if someone is just a hater, a troll - and there is no sense to argue with those people and I tend to ignore them, but some are just ill-informed. (Unfortunately that includes some fans as well, by the way.)

When I see that hate it makes me want to enlighten people about the truth. It makes me want to tell them about the facts. I know we all know he was innocent, but IMO others need to know as well. There are haters, who are just mentally/emotionally sick people and you can't change that, but there are those who really are just mislead by the media. Michael deserves his name to be cleared in front of the whole world.

I'm not naive, I know that nothing that we do or write on the Internet can single-handedly do that, because most people, honestly, are lazy to read, think and just accept whatever the media tells them instead of actually looking for the facts. But I think whatever little thing we can do in order to spread the truth we must do that. For Michael and his legacy!

I kind of feel what the OP said about how the outside hatred makes us love him only more. Yes, there is this thing about Michael that he was this good man with a golden heart who was treated like crap by this world and this gives a tragic twist to his story, something that makes his life and personality more profound than most other artists'. And you wanna make up for that crap treatment of his and love him with everything you have. He certainly has that effect on me.

I also see him as someone who kind of held up a mirror in front of society and we can see ourselves in that mirror. If you are a hater, if you are Evan Chandler, if you are Tom Sneddon, if you are a hostile and biased journalist etc. you will see a twisted image in that mirror, because in reality you see yourself, your twisted, perverted mind. Just like what Michael sang about in "Is It Scary".

Could this, ironically be one of the things that assures the longevity of Michael's fanbase?

I think it's a good question. I ask myself (and hope) if eventually the allegations could even turn out to serve MJ's legacy? That is if there comes a time when the world realizes at last that those were false allegations and when a sincere analysis and discussion of the case will take place. Maybe it won't be any time soon. Maybe this generation of journalists needs to die out before the majority of the media can be honest about this case - also because the media played a big part in this 21st century style lynching, so most of them are not yet able to be reflect honestly on it. But once the tide turns I think it might elevate MJ into almost martyr status. He would be seen more as just a pop star who used to do great music and had fantastic moves. He could be a symbol of what can prejudice do, what if we judge people just because they are different, without knowing the facts of a case, what if people let the media brainwash them, what can greed do to people, a symbol of how we treat vulnerable, "weird" people and we we assume the worst of someone and are ready to believe anything of him, if he happens to be a bit different etc.

I know maybe it's naive to expect this. But once people realize the injustice that happened to MJ in this world, he will become more than just a popstar and more than just a pop legend IMO. He will be a symbol of something bigger.

Obviously everyone is different, but I never felt that I need to take a break from Michael's music (Why should I feel that? If I like a music then I like a music). But I'm upset and saddened that when I go to YT or to an article about MJ I get to see hateful, ignorant comments. It breaks my heart because Michael of all people doesn't deserve to be remembered like a pedophile, like a criminal. He was not and I feel people need to be enlightened on the facts of the allegations against him. This is the thing that, unfortunately, threatens his legacy the most. Many people acknowledge he was a great artist, but then comes the "BUT" and they start to talk about the allegations.

Of course, usually you can tell if someone is just a hater, a troll - and there is no sense to argue with those people and I tend to ignore them, but some are just ill-informed. (Unfortunately that includes some fans as well, by the way.)

When I see that hate it makes me want to enlighten people about the truth. It makes me want to tell them about the facts. I know we all know he was innocent, but IMO others need to know as well. There are haters, who are just mentally/emotionally sick people and you can't change that, but there are those who really are just mislead by the media. Michael deserves his name to be cleared in front of the whole world.

I'm not naive, I know that nothing that we do or write on the Internet can single-handedly do that, because most people, honestly, are lazy to read, think and just accept whatever the media tells them instead of actually looking for the facts. But I think whatever little thing we can do in order to spread the truth we must do that. For Michael and his legacy!

I kind of feel what the OP said about how the outside hatred makes us love him only more. Yes, there is this thing about Michael that he was this good man with a golden heart who was treated like crap by this world and this gives a tragic twist to his story, something that makes his life and personality more profound than most other artists'. And you wanna make up for that crap treatment of his and love him with everything you have. He certainly has that effect on me.

I also see him as someone who kind of held up a mirror in front of society and we can see ourselves in that mirror. If you are a hater, if you are Evan Chandler, if you are Tom Sneddon, if you are a hostile and biased journalist etc. you will see a twisted image in that mirror, because in reality you see yourself, your twisted, perverted mind. Just like what Michael sang about in "Is It Scary".

I think it's a good question. I ask myself (and hope) if eventually the allegations could even turn out to serve MJ's legacy? That is if there comes a time when the world realizes at last that those were false allegations and when a sincere analysis and discussion of the case will take place. Maybe it won't be any time soon. Maybe this generation of journalists needs to die out before the majority of the media can be honest about this case - also because the media played a big part in this 21st century style lynching, so most of them are not yet able to be reflect honestly on it. But once the tide turns I think it might elevate MJ into almost martyr status. He would be seen more as just a pop star who used to do great music and had fantastic moves. He could be a symbol of what can prejudice do, what if we judge people just because they are different, without knowing the facts of a case, what if people let the media brainwash them, what can greed do to people, a symbol of how we treat vulnerable, "weird" people and we we assume the worst of someone and are ready to believe anything of him, if he happens to be a bit different etc.

I know maybe it's naive to expect this. But once people realize the injustice that happened to MJ in this world, he will become more than just a popstar and more than just a pop legend IMO. He will be a symbol of something bigger.

I love this post....Thank you :)

Just read your great post respect. You just encapsulate everything i feel, but do it far more eloquently than i could!

Interesting topic :cheeky:

I don't really FEEL the HATE 'outside' the fan base though I FEEL that people in general are much nicer to you if they see you're an MJ fan... They start talking to you otherwise, they would have 'ignored' me... They wish you a GREAT day and all...

Then again, like Qbee :ciao:said...
What 'drives' me away from HERE sometimes is the HATE among the fans... The WARS fought on here made me really ILL and I had to 'step back' for awhile but I think it's 'stupid' to be driven away by the wars so... I came back cause indeed the :heart: brought me back here... It's my SAVE place where my friends live :better:

It too really 'hurts' me to see some fans have learnt NOTHING from Michael or have 'forgotten' it all due to their 'grief'...

We're Michael's SPARKLE OF HOPE now so... to answer the question... NO, I don't feel HATE in the world... So, it hurts even more to see it here :(

sometime's I take a break from his music, videos etc....but i kept coming back also. The thing is I only, well almost checked the internet b'coz of him. I started out twitter...utube and tumblr b'coz of MJ. i guess he's just simply 4VER!!! he's really irreplaceable and immortal to our hearts, as stated once you fell in luv w/ him, you really cannot forget him! The man is the G.O.A.T...trully amazing and inspring?

As for the hate, as said also, it makes me love him more!!! ?

Myself I have never had to take a break from the music or the fan base. In fact I have held on even tighter becuase It was my only salvation to deal with all the pain and hurt of loosing him. but I do think the hate against him makes me want to stay even more be connected and defend him. Being youtube was brought up, I remember when I first came on youtube 2006 the hatred was immense and MJ fans were not united there at all. Once we formed an alliance there and gathered as a Army we attracted much attention of the general public and other channels and they joined with us to defend Michael on many videos. So many were afraid becuase they were out numbered with attcks. Once they saw much more positive comments and defenses againt the trolls they came forward . I can deal with the haters, in fact I expect hate from these trolls. I feel Most who hate on Michael are just Haters in general and they pick the most vunerable targets.

But to be honest The hate that effects me most is coming from MJ fans themselves when defending Michael or their views on various issues in the fan base .. I cringe and hurt when I see MJ represented in that manner. I think it reflects badly on Michael's fan base and on Michael himself when fans do that. Everything he stood for is thrown out the window. It hurts me deeply in my heart. I feel his own example is the best way to get our message out. I'm not saying lay down and be doormats but address the issues intelligently and with a bit respect to show who it is indeed we are representing. As fans We should not be promoting hateful agenda's in Michael's name.

Some mislead factions of the fan base now proudly wave a banner of hate attacking any fans that don't support their mission. There is no shaming them or reasoning with them - They refuse to stop :cry: We are so divided on many issues that now fans are hating on fans. I cant support any part of the fan base that does this. I'm deeply saddened by it. If we could all come together we could better defend against haters, celebrate Michael's music and bring public awareness to it and his beautiful message. But we aren't going to succeed in that as long as we are occupying ourselves with hating on each other. I'm glad at MJJC we try to allow various views and concerns but enforce a rule of respect at least for one another. Our Love for Michael is our main bond and it is him that makes us try harder to love and respect one another .. Its not always easy when we are so divided on may issues .. We do it for the love of Michael. (I have a dream )

I agree.

Back