Is this the new direction for Michael Jacksons Image?

I can't post anywhere without being accused of abusing my power for expressing my opinion, now I have an agenda all a sudden after god knows how many years. I just want to discuss this stuff with fans, I dont care if they dont agree with me, thats what forum is for :/

Just ignore them, it's just fans who want everything to be perfect and for everyone to enjoy the album with them. I read a post someone made a while back where they said something like 'I don't think people realise how one negative comment can completely kill the buzz'.

They are on a high enjoying it and want to come here to read only positive things and they read a negative comment and it takes away that feeling for them and kills their buzz. Really they just need to learn to enjoy it on their own and with the fans that do share their love for it, it's not too hard to see from the title of this thread that it's not going to be positive so I would urge those fans to stay away from it if they don't want their buzz killed.

Personally, I like some of the songs on the album, I dislike some of them and I disliked the performance last night. I love LNFSG, Loving You, Chicago and the new version of Xscape but hate what they have done with APWNN, Blue Gangsta and DYKWYCA.

Overall, I like the project but I'm not sure if that's just because I am comparing it to Michael (although the leaks around that time we great). I guess for the most part I am frustrated that they could so easily do better than they have done, just simple things which they have missed or ignored which could so easily make this stuff better.

For some of the songs on the album they have completely ignored the concept behind the original version and just added Michael's vocals onto a completely new song, they could of saved themselves a lot of time by simply updating the original version and we also would of received them a lot better, Blue Gangsta comes to mind.

I think is all about the MONEY!!
There is no excuse for the bad decisions they made upon Michael's artwork.

I hear people saying that Estate did't used another photo for the album cover because of copyright matters? Really???? Buy the copyright if you think it is worth it! Why not????

Same goes with everything....
I didn't saw any good investment in Michael's image or in his artwork since has past away. I saw only a marathon for grabbing money.

The Billboard projection was the ceapest choice for them.
In CGI there is no limit, and everything is possible.... with MONEY and soul and passion!
Once again here is the proof that people in charge are not interested to invest in Michael.
Still wondering why they didn't put Gaspar directly on stage... and avoid the money spend on that BAD CG or trying to foul us that they will have a hologram of Michael himself.

What a shame!!!!

This is why I want a collectors label so badly. No need to dress everything up like MJ wasn't good enough for todays standards. So the people who laughed at him and demeaned him when he was here can have something to dance to in a club for a few weeks. Just the pure untouched talent of Michael Jackson for the people that always loved him for who he was.

I'm sorry but I really think you guys are over-reacting. I agree with some small points, but the "mono"/"pan" argument is just bullshit. Pan doesn't mean it is not mono. It just means that the mixing is different, and it is nothing to be mad about, since the concept of the album IS re-mixing MJ's work.

I think the Estate should do what Whitney Houston's Estate is doing - which is nothing. Just keep re-releasing the Greatest Hits and that's it.

I think the Estate should do what Whitney Houston's Estate is doing - which is nothing. Just keep re-releasing the Greatest Hits and that's it.

That's not good.

Fans want to hear these songs. They will all be leaked, eventually. Instead of just downloading illegal leaks, have the opportunity to purchase legal copies of them.

I just noticed the hologram is wearing black socks, how was that overlooked? Michael always wore white socks.

Because VMJ wears black socks? and Michael wore white ones? I tend to separate them :thinking:
This is a brand new concept however I wont cry untll we get the whole picture .

10299087_411985745609771_8671740666392108973_n.jpg

That's better :)

I think is all about the MONEY!!
There is no excuse for the bad decisions they made upon Michael's artwork.

I hear people saying that Estate did't used another photo for the album cover because of copyright matters? Really???? Buy the copyright if you think it is worth it! Why not????

Same goes with everything....
I didn't saw any good investment in Michael's image or in his artwork since has past away. I saw only a marathon for grabbing money.

The Billboard projection was the ceapest choice for them.
In CGI there is no limit, and everything is possible.... with MONEY and soul and passion!
Once again here is the proof that people in charge are not interested to invest in Michael.
Still wondering why they didn't put Gaspar directly on stage... and avoid the money spend on that BAD CG or trying to foul us that they will have a hologram of Michael himself.

What a shame!!!!

Fans should be realistic. You complain that the Estate wants to make money, then in the same breath you demand that more money should have been put into the hologram last night. How will a buisness company that spends more than what they make keep going? We can be idealistic dreamers, but the fact is that the Estate and Sony need projects that generate money. More money than what they spend on it.

It's just that a good compromise needs to be found between business and artistic integrity. I think the best compromise perhaps would be if projects aimed at the general public would alternate with projects aimed at the hard core fan base where less would be spent on marketing and hype but more effort would be put into the preservation of MJ's artistic legacy and serious representation of him as an artist.
Yes, I agree with WildStyle the Collector's Label would be perfect for that.

Just keep re-releasing the Greatest Hits and that's it.

Are you joking? There shouldn't be another new Greatest Hits compilation for Michael Jackson for at least the next decade or two. At which point, they can try and recreate some interest in MJ (like the Beatles did with 1, or Elvis Presley with ELV1S).

But for the next decade or two, at least, we have more than enough Greatest Hits.

The problem with Michael compared to the Beatles or Elvis is that he has a lot smaller catalogue. There's only so many ways you can repackage and resell Billie Jean and Beat It (ie. songs and albums that the general public are mainly interested in). We have Number Ones, we have Essential, we have This Is It, we have King of Pop and about a dozen other Greatest Hits albums by him out there. No need for another. Demos will be interesting for the hard core fan base, but not for the general public. So they needed to do something with those demos that make them interesting for the general public, whether we like it or not. It's happened to other artists too:

I think The Estate has done a wonderful job. - Michael is the only bad project. - Actually the project was good, but SONY and The Estate was fooled by Cascio! - Not their fault really! Had Michael not had these 3 songs there would not be any negativity and controversy. - And promotion would have continued and been bigger - more singles etc. - BUT these 3 songs, fake or not, ruined it!

BUT BAD25 was a wonderful release, fans got it their way! - We got demoes as MJ left them, Wembley concert, - ALL perfect!

TII - Great release, HUGE promotion, CD that sold very good etc.

Cirque du Soleil - 2 perfect shows, breaking records and keeps MJ alive. - MJ would have loved it!!!

All in all I think The Estate has done an extrmely good job. Had they not been tricked by Cascio they would have done absolutely perfect really.

Fans should be realistic. You complain that the Estate wants to make money, then in the same breath you demand that more money should have been put into the hologram last night. How will a buisness company that spends more than what they make keep going? We can be idealistic dreamers, but the fact is that the Estate and Sony need projects that generate money. More money than what they spend on it.

It's just that a good compromise needs to be found between business and artistic integrity. I think the best compromise perhaps would be if projects aimed at the general public would alternate with projects aimed at the hard core fan base where less would be spent on marketing and hype but more effort would be put into the preservation of MJ's artistic legacy and serious representation of him as an artist.
Yes, I agree with WildStyle the Collector's Label would be perfect for that.

Michael invested alot of money in his artistic matters... and even got Guinees World Records with that! And after he won a fortune!
Estate wants to make a fortune investing a small amount of money!

Dont you agree with the fact that if Estate spent proper and well deserved buget to release quality products... everyone will be much happy than today????

No one is over-reacting!
Look around you! Everyone is pissed of with real reasons and well deserved. People are not stupid!

You are free to support anything in behalf of Michael Jackson. I have reasons to not! He dererves much better!

No one is over-reacting!
Look around you! Everyone is pissed of with real reasons and well deserved. People are not stupid!

You are free to support anything in behalf of Michael Jackson. I have reasons to not! He dererves much better!

I don't think "everyone is pissed off". In fact, I think most fans are rather pleased with Xscape, or at least consider it a positive step compared to the Michael album. Yes, there are aspects of it which are debatable, like the ones brought up by the OP in this thread, but overall it's a positive project for most and I don't see that generally fans are pissed off about it, so maybe it's you who should look around you.

Dont you agree with the fact that if Estate spent proper and well deserved buget to release quality releases... everyone will be much happy than today????

From the hype and everything around this album I think a lot of money was spent on it - probably more money than on anything since Michael's death. And like I said I see a lot of happy fans too. I also see the album at #1 in the UK and several other countries. And the first single in the Top 10 all over the world. I can see all that when I look around me.

Michael invested alot of money in his artistic matters... and even got Guinees World Records with that! And after he won a fortune!
Estate wants to make a fortune investing a small amount of money!

Even Michael couldn't spend as much on an album these days as in the past, simply because albums do not sell that well any more. So even he would have to face economical realities. Of course, he was an artist who sometimes did not care economics and perhaps that contributed to his debts... Those who run the Estate today are not idealistic artists but businessmen and they will consider those economic realities.

I don't think "everyone is pissed off". In fact, I think most fans are rather pleased with Xscape, or at least consider it a positive step compared to the Michael album. Yes, there are aspects of it which are debatable, like the ones brought up by the OP in this thread, but overall it's a positive project for most and I don't see that generally fans are pissed off about it, so maybe it's you who should look around you.
It is a big difference between "happy" and "acceptance".
I think Xscape album is accepted by most of the fans (including myself) mostly due to MICHAEL album fail. I am so starting to believe that.

What they did on Billboard is unacceptable! At least from my point.
I work in CGI and I am so aware of what can be done!

As for the Estate being a bussinesmen. That is THE problem.
Bussines man involved in ARTISTIC stuff.

I think Xscape album is accepted by most of the fans (including myself) mostly due to MICHAEL album fail. I am so starting to believe that.

What they did on Billboard is unacceptable! At least from my point.
I work in CGI and I am so aware of what can be done!

Thank you for this, simple but sums up alot!

The problem with Michael compared to the Beatles or Elvis is that he has a lot smaller catalogue. There's only so many ways you can repackage and resell Billie Jean and Beat It (ie. songs and albums that the general public are mainly interested in). We have Number Ones, we have Essential, we have This Is It, we have King of Pop and about a dozen other Greatest Hits albums by him out there. No need for another. Demos will be interesting for the hard core fan base, but not for the general public. So they needed to do something with those demos that make them interesting for the general public, whether we like it or not. It's happened to other artists too:

A little less conversation wasn't contemporized from a demo it was a fully completed elvis song which he featured in one of his movies.

Whats happening to Michael Jackson, his art and image.

that's what im wondering too. I LOVE how everyone is celebrating Xscape (and Im not that fond of the album itself, - i like the demos and the new lnfsg and apwnn, and that's about it). BUT if i look away from my own feelings. it's great to see MJ out there, being celebrated for his MUSIC rather than hated for his private life. Im especially digging the fact, that everyone seems to be celebrating the album, and no one gives a damn about the new accusations. Yeah! :lol:

However, the turn they have taken with MJ's music, making him "current" without any regard to what his ideas may have been for the songs, - that i dont like. I do understand that they need to appeal to a new generation of fans - they need to make money and keep his legacy alive. And they cant do that with partial demos. But i cant help but feeling that while they're "updating MJ to 2014's audience", they may loose long term fans while doing so. And im not talking about boycotting the album or anything like that. That new digitalized/computerized sound is so.... off from what he'd normally put out (IMO).

MJ is being celebrated right now. The main focus is on his music - that's good for his legacy. However as a fan, im worried about the long term affect it may have. IMO MJ's high standards have been lowered significantly, and i guess my ultimimate fear is that he'll become just another average singer on the radio. That he'll loose that special something that made him the KOP.
'
I dunno. Im rambling :lol:

Last edited:
I loved the Billboard show. So far they are doing a fantastic job w/ the Xscape prom!

I am not mad because was a projection but not a hologram.

I am mad because the projection was a shitty production.
They waste a BIG opportunity to raise Michael above everything.

This is what could be done 8 yeas ago in CGI

And believe me! The possibilities are unlimited.
Why we shouldn't care?

And I'm tired of peope saying "Michael is not here anymore... no one could do a better job with his posthum releases"
That's not true!

That in fact is the best excuse for warming the acceptance of a FAIL!

Last edited:
I just noticed the hologram is wearing black socks, how was that overlooked? Michael always wore white socks.

Those aren't black socks. Pretty sure they're just the Smooth Criminal shoe thingy's that sit atop of Michael's loafers in that video, just in a different color, brick red.

Is this the new direction?
Or one direction?
Or is this the new kids on the block?
Or is it five seconds of summer?
Or 30 seconds to mars?

Then again.. It could be a little bit of everything. So unique in his style...

Think about it!

At all these junctures I feel conflicted.

Would Michael want this? Are we doing this right? Is this WORTH it? Is this respectful?

I feel a posthumous period in an artist's 'career' is kinda important.

If these efforts go on to remind people how wonderful Michael was, and serve as a lead in to the REAL Michael Jackson then I think on the whole I approve.

With Xscape proving that Michael Jackson is valuable posthumous stock, I'd like to see the Estate moving in to preserving and solidifying Michael's art for centuries to come. One of the most important jobs they can do now is going back to the music videos and sourcing the film etc. Then collating as much as they can/everything in terms of unreleased music, recorded television performances and concerts.

What I don't agree with at all, with Michael's perfectionism hanging in the air behind me, is when they use an impersonator to perform Michael's dance moves - and say it's Michael - and when they put an impersonator on record and say it's Michael. These people are amateurs and the thought that people might hear it and think it's him when it's so woeful is utterly crushing. There's a reason Michael sold a billion records, he was a one off. His magic shouldn't be diluted.

if its possible to create T-rex that looks real, its possible to render a Michael jackson real as t-rex. dancing 100% like michael and looking 100% like him.
but, it costs alot of money. and the question is are they willing to spend that amount of money, when they can go with less. the result was that hologrm.

Some have "acceptance", some are genuinely happy. Just because you aren't you should not try to project your own feelings onto the whole fan base and try to talk in their name saying things like "everyone is pissed off". It's simply not true.

I think the Estate should have people on board who care about Michael's artistic legacy and integrity, other than the business aspects.

On the other hand you cannot expect them to ignore economic realities, that's just unreasonable.

see, this is a discussion thread :cheeky:

The album :blush: It crashed in like bomb. You can of course fret that it's 'hyped' and too 'modernized' but indeed if you think 'realistic' The Estate just can't release ONLY stuff for the 'hardcore' fanbase and therefore need to broaden the audience. At what cost? What do we lose? We already had the worst! We lost Michael 'the person' :cry:

I like the album very much... Some songs needed to 'grow' on me for sure but I had that with other albums too so :blush:

Yeash, I still don't like the album cover but hey... I'm already pleased we have an album!

As for the BBMA performance...
I too think it's a LAME attempt to recreate Michael's magic :blink:
Still, it got what it was meant to be, right?

Michael Jackson BACK on the spot. Well, he never left for us but sometimes the world sees stuff different hey :smilerolleyes:

To answer the question you posed as thread title?

I really don't know cause we're left with only memories and 'material' stuff Michael left behind. We can ONLY hope they treat him with RESPECT and DIGNITY he deserves and if not :blink:

I'm kind of miffed and :unsure: and :sigh: about it.

I guess, the show must go on or like I wrote in the current blog, you either adapt or you perish :smilerolleyes:

Do I like the way it's going now?
I stress a BIG NO.
I just MISS the REAL Michael and NO impersonator can fill that NEED or void of missing him :blush:

Like I said Buzziiinesss hey!

if its possible to create T-rex that looks real, its possible to render a Michael jackson real as t-rex. dancing 100% like michael and looking 100% like him.
but, it costs alot of money. and the question is are they willing to spend that amount of money, when they can go with less. the result was that hologrm.

I completely disagree with this reasoning!

You really compare MICHAEL JACKSON to T-REX? Is this a (really really) bad joke?
If not, then it's a disgrace IMHO!

In fact, nothing is more simple than recreating something, which was never seen by the eyes of human mankind.
Nobody knows how a real t-rex ever really looked like. Or how he ever really moved on this planet.
I also doubt a t-rex, though he has fans all over the world, has these kind of hardcore fans, which scrutinize every little pixel of a picture of him, like we do with every little thing concerning MJ.
A t-rex also doesn't have the most famous (and one of the most photographed) face in the world & does the most unique & perfect dance moves as MJ did.
In fact i think, that Michael Jackson, because of the aforementioned reasons is the most difficult human being (or being in general) ever to be "recreated" (doesn't matter which form of art you could apply or use for this task (painting, drawing, movies, comic, etc.).
It's literally impossible.
That's also the reason why we'll never have a satisfying biographical movie - because NO ONE can play MJ. He was just way (and i mean wayyyyyyyyyyy) to unique in everything that he was & everything that he did. I mean, we can start with his curls (or his hairdos through the eras in general) to his feet moving, even when he just walked in a normal way.

Therefore, with seemingly the most difficult task at hand, they fared quite good, with the hologram & the performance in general.

What I missed was a little more 3D effect, that would be my only negative dig on this performance.

Last edited:
Back