'I've learnt that life is precious': Janet Jackson on the death of her brother Michael

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think is quiet unfair to say she moved on straight away after MJ's passing, I mean she waited months to come out and say anything, not being close to MJ in the later part of his life, wouldn't make the pain any less, it could make it worse infact. Moving on or saying life goes on doesn't mean shes over greiving for Michael, or doesn't care about him.
I agree.:clapping::clapping::clapping: Unfortunately it is what it is.:( It's unfair passing judgement on Janet. If we're devastated by Michael's death, how much more devastating is the grief for her and the family.(But, life still goes on.

I know Michael loved Janet and vice versa but I hate how she says things that COME ACROSS like Michael's death is a good thing.

I agree.:clapping::clapping::clapping: Unfortunately it is what it is.:( It's unfair passing judgement on Janet. If we're devastated by Michael's death, how much more devastating is the grief for her and the family.(But, life still goes on.

you will never be able to say the phrase 'life goes on', without it having a bothersome feel to it. there are people for whom life doesn't go on, the way that phrase sounds, but that doesn't mean something is wrong with them. it also doesn't mean people are automatically passing judgment, just because they have trouble with that phrase.

I think is quiet unfair to say she moved on straight away after MJ's passing, I mean she waited months to come out and say anything, not being close to MJ in the later part of his life, wouldn't make the pain any less, it could make it worse infact. Moving on or saying life goes on doesn't mean shes over greiving for Michael, or doesn't care about him.

I agree with what you said. I just wonder why she went on National, Media TV to tell everyone her brother was a drug addict??? To me, that was a huge leap for her to even go there.:ermm:

Right, she did wait months... to build anticipation, because when she finally did, what was being promoted at the exact same time??? And I disagree about the pain not being any less...when I lost my grandmother, I hadn't spoken or seen her in years. It hurt (at first) but it soon felt like she was just far away somewhere (like she had been before she passed). Nothing really changed because she wasn't a constant (or even occasional) presence in my life and hadn't been for a while. I feel like the same applies to Janet. (of cousre this is only speculation as none of us will ever really know).

And of cousre she cared/cares about him (he was family after all) I just think that all this emphasis on how "Janet Jackson is feeling" is a little misplaced (because frankly, it just comes off as yet another "cover story" for her). I get she's the only really other "famous" Jackson but quite frankly, at this point, who cares...she herself has said many many times how "she's moved on", and how "life goes on and blah, blah, blah". I'm not faulting her personally but Like I said, MJ was not her father, her husband, or her child...he was a brother she wasn't even close to anymore, the fact that they (the media) keep asking her is annoying (as if she was the only person, or the main person, affected).

The media needs to show that faux concern towards his children and mother. If their going to ask her in interviews, the question should be in regards to how his kids are dealing now.

Last edited:
And I gotta say, I agree with the poster who said MJ's death has brought Janet back into the mainstream...lets face it, MJ's death has been nothing short of amazing for her career (for the entire family to be honest)...

I mean, everybody (and I do Mean EVERYBODY...brothers, sisters, nieces and nephews, 2nd cousins once removed) is launching or re-launching their careers now lol

Harsh but true

Last edited:
Right, she did wait months... to build anticipation, because when she finally did, what was being promoted at the exact same time??? And I disagree about the pain not being any less...when I lost my grandmother, I hadn't spoken or seen her in years. It hurt (at first) but it soon felt like she was just far away somewhere (like she had been before she passed). Nothing really changed because she wasn't a constant (or even occasional) presence in my life and hadn't been for a while. I feel like the same applies to Janet. (of cousre this is only speculation as none of us will ever really know).

I know that when I lost someone I wasn't close to later in their life, it hit me even worse. I felt guilty for not being there, for not keeping in contact, thats what I ment, and to be fair losing a grandmother is very different to losing a sibling.

I agree with what you said. I just wonder why she went on National, Media TV to tell everyone her brother was a drug addict??? To me, that was a huge leap for her to even go there.:ermm:

Firstly, she did not say that directly at all. She never said 'Michael was a drug addict'. I recall she said she was concerned he had a problem with drugs. Those are two totally different things.

Secondly, im sorry but my personal view is (and Im a huge MJ fan) he DID have a problem. He clearly had a problem. He took dangerous drugs you only would use in operations at hospital. So Janet is only saying how it is. He may have not been a 'drug addict' per se (i dont like that term), but one can't deny he made a bad choice to take these 'sleeping pills'. It was apparently he who requested them cause he was desperate for sleep. Even if he didn't request them, why didn't he take control and say 'No, i will not do that'. But he did and it was foolish. You can't deny that. I mean come on, what normal healthy person has oxgen tanks in their house.

Thirdly. She didn't say a word for a good 4 monts, she was in hiding for 3 months. Now if your brother died and you had a job, tell me, would you take 3 months off? No, you most likely wouldn't, you would take the day off for the funeral and go back to work on the Monday. That's what we all have to do. Its life, we grieve, we mourn, and then we move on.

Some of you are talking like you expect her to never speak or sing or dance again, to wear black for the rest of her life and go in to mourning forever like it were Queen Victoria mourning Albert fgs.

The media is the media, Janet handled it the best way possible. Of course media is gonna ask her about it. So the best idea is to do a one off show and Oprah and thats it. Her recent requests to not talk about it, is exactly what she did the one off show for, so that she wouldn't have to talk about it again.
I don't know if people really understand, but when you do interviews, even casual short ones, reporters can be real nasty, they will ask all sorts of uncomfortable questions no matter what the circumstances of the interview are. That is why it WAS best Janet got it out of the way on something more controlled and classy like Oprah.

Its very frustrating that people could still judge her when actually she has handled everything so well.

Last edited:
And I gotta say, I agree with the poster who said MJ's death has brought Janet back into the mainstream...lets face it, MJ's death has been nothing short of amazing for her career (for the entire family to be honest)...

I mean, everybody (and I do Mean EVERYBODY...brothers, sisters, nieces and nephews, 2nd cousins once removed) is launching or re-launching their careers now lol

Harsh but true

Not really.

Latoya and Jermaine and all them have been doing the pointless interviews since before Mj died, nothing changed there.

As for Janet, yes its helped her get more attention, but deservedly so. She never faulted musically or talent wise before Mjs death. She got blacklisted, which is/was totally unfair (and being a Jackson fan, something you should understand).
Despite that, she still had 2 no.2 albums and 1 no.1 album, and many undergorund hits, no.1 dance and r&b hits and sales chart hits.

Firstly, she did not say that directly at all. She never said 'Michael was a drug addict'. I recall she said she was concerned he had a problem with drugs. Those are two totally different things.

Secondly, im sorry but my personal view is (and Im a huge MJ fan) he DID have a problem. He clearly had a problem. He took dangerous drugs you only would use in operations at hospital. So Janet is only saying how it is. He may have not been a 'drug addict' per se (i dont like that term), but one can't deny he made a bad choice to take these 'sleeping pills'. It was apparently he who requested them cause he was desperate for sleep. Even if he didn't request them, why didn't he take control and say 'No, i will not do that'. But he did and it was foolish. You can't deny that. I mean come on, what normal healthy person has oxgen tanks in their house.

Thirdly. She didn't say a word for a good 4 monts, she was in hiding for 3 months. Now if your brother died and you had a job, tell me, would you take 3 months off? No, you most likely wouldn't, you would take the day off for the funeral and go back to work on the Monday. That's what we all have to do. Its life, we grieve, we mourn, and then we move on.

Some of you are talking like you expect her to never speak or sing or dance again, to wear black for the rest of her life and go in to mourning forever like it were Queen Victoria mourning Albert fgs.

The media is the media, Janet handled it the best way possible. Of course media is gonna ask her about it. So the best idea is to do a one off show and Oprah and thats it. Her recent requests to not talk about it, is exactly what she did the one off show for, so that she wouldn't have to talk about it again.
I don't know if people really understand, but when you do interviews, even casual short ones, reporters can be real nasty, they will ask all sorts of uncomfortable questions no matter what the circumstances of the interview are. That is why it WAS best Janet got it out of the way on something more controlled and classy like Oprah.

Its very frustrating that people could still judge her when actually she has handled everything so well.

Hurrah for you. Great post, everything I wanted but couldn't be arsed to say.

I'm going to disagree with you a on point. Janet did say MJ was addict, right out of her mouth. She said he was in denial and they had staged multiple interventions and that she was afraid it was just a matter of time before something bad happened. So anyone who wants to whitewash it or down what she says as if she did not know exactly how what she said would be taken outright and even what was implied for the vast majority of people can certainly choose to deny it themselves. but they are not being honest. That's number one. And, when Janet was even asked when he was an addict, she skirted the question and did not make it clear. And when she was asked in particular about his "problems" she could have very easily at the beginning said, "MJ was not an addict as far as I know. He made a bad decision in choosing propofol. there were interventions for drugs at this and this time but it was not recent."

Notice how just a little clarification puts the issue to bed promptly. IMHO she was purposely deceptive.

Number 2, Life does go on. I agree Janet should not be walking around in sackcloth and ashes forever. She is saying life goes on but in no way implies (she even said the opposite) that life goes on in the same way. People act as if she is devoid of every feeling imaginable. And act as if her mourning must be public. She has always been private. Why must she change who she is just to prove to unknown people the feelings she has for her brother or to validate a personal relationship? I agree that the media asks the same question over and over. Even when it is not relevant. Of course we are going to hear the same answer over and over til it seems redundant to us.

Janet will always get the side eye from me for what she said about MJ. And that the privacy she kept for him in life she wavered on in death. But she is not without feeling. And everyone needs to mourn in their own way. I don't think it is our place to judge how someone else does it. And once it has been said a million times, there is no need to say it a million more, so she simply said I will no longer talk about it. Good for her for finally putting her foot down.

It is funny that some are angry at her for talking. They are angry at her for stopping. if she never said anything, they would be angry at that. She is da**ed if she does and da**ed if she doesn't.

I agree with most of what you said here, except the part about Janet not saying MJ was a drug adict...(which another poster already went into so I'm gonna leave that alone) and the part about Janet being "in hiding" for three months. According to the women herself, she went right back to work the day after the memorial, which is fine btw, but you clearly said that to imply that she did what other "normal sisters" would'nt do (which in my understanding, was "take a significant time off from work") She didn't.

At the end of the day, I personally don't have a problem with Janet and how she's "handeled" this situation. I have a problem with the way the media keeps highlighting her and "her feelings" (which like I said before, just turns into yet another cover story for her) in regards to the situation. I understand that they are going to ask her questions relating to MJ's death, but I wish they were geared more towards how his CHILDREN are doing.

If their was anybody in that family that I feel for besides his children and mother its (some of) his neices and nephews. You could just feel from their words in the memorial booklet, their messages posted on their tweeter/facebook accounts (even now, a whole year and two months later), and so on, that they really loved, was close to, and is going to miss the man.

Last edited:
I know that when I lost someone I wasn't close to later in their life, it hit me even worse. I felt guilty for not being there, for not keeping in contact, thats what I ment, and to be fair losing a grandmother is very different to losing a sibling.

Eveybody is different...and excuse me? to be fair sweety, loosing your grandmother can be EXACTLY like loosing your sibling (or your parent, cousin, uncle, hell even your second cousin). One isn't more significant then the other, it all depends on the type of relationship you had with the person thank you very much.

Eveybody is different...and excuse me? to be fair sweety, loosing your grandmother can be EXACTLY like loosing your sibling (or your parent, cousin, uncle, hell even your second cousin). One isn't more significant then the other, it all depends on the type of relationship you had with the person thank you very much.

yes it CAN be, but in most cases it isn't.

:clapping:

Wasn't she the first family member to give FL a check as a down payment as some sort? like 50K? That was very thoughful of her.

Wasn't she the first family member to give FL a check as a down payment as some sort? like 50K? That was very thoughful of her.

Yes she did, and as tamfen said the money was repaid, but that doesn't mean Janet requested for it to be returned to her, whats 50k to her ?

I'm going to disagree with you a on point. Janet did say MJ was addict, right out of her mouth. She said he was in denial and they had staged multiple interventions and that she was afraid it was just a matter of time before something bad happened. So anyone who wants to whitewash it or down what she says as if she did not know exactly how what she said would be taken outright and even what was implied for the vast majority of people can certainly choose to deny it themselves. but they are not being honest. That's number one. And, when Janet was even asked when he was an addict, she skirted the question and did not make it clear. And when she was asked in particular about his "problems" she could have very easily at the beginning said, "MJ was not an addict as far as I know. He made a bad decision in choosing propofol. there were interventions for drugs at this and this time but it was not recent."

Notice how just a little clarification puts the issue to bed promptly. IMHO she was purposely deceptive.

Janet will always get the side eye from me for what she said about MJ. And that the privacy she kept for him in life she wavered on in death. .

EXACTLY!:clapping:and I wish some people would open their eyes and ears and remember this!

As you said, the privacy she kept for MJ she easily threw it out the window and I keep saying MJ would not have done that to her. What she was not comfortable speaking about while he was here is what baffled me when I saw those two interviews. The Oprah interview was the clincher, she just let Oprah lead her the entire time when it came to her responses (why the need to stress that the Michael you knew best was young Michael? and that you can't look at any pictures of him after that time?) Oprah just ate that up and the insinuations were just put out there! The movie she came to promote was just a footnote in the articles the next day, Michael Jackson the drug addict was the headline of the day! She had to know that was how it was gonna go down.

I just got this coldness from her during that interview, both it and the Robyn interview just rubbed me the wrong way. This is my opinion as well as my feelings.

That's the million dollar question......especially from someone who did not want to be asked questions about him and in turn not want to answer questions about him. boggles my mind.

My feelings did change where she is concerned and I'm not gonna lie, its just the way I feel.

yes it CAN be, but in most cases it isn't.

most cases? we don't want to blanket on a subject like this. especially something where we are supposedly comparing which loved one is worth more emotions than another. they are all our loved ones. unless you never knew the person at all, a loss is a loss, and equally terrible, no matter who it is.

EXACTLY!:clapping:and I wish some people would open their eyes and ears and remember this!

As you said, the privacy she kept for MJ she easily threw it out the window and I keep saying MJ would not have done that to her. What she was not comfortable speaking about while he was here is what baffled me when I saw those two interviews. The Oprah interview was the clincher, she just let Oprah lead her the entire time when it came to her responses (why the need to stress that the Michael you knew best was young Michael? and that you can't look at any pictures of him after that time?) Oprah just ate that up and the insinuations were just put out there! The movie she came to promote was just a footnote in the articles the next day, Michael Jackson the drug addict was the headline of the day! She had to know that was how it was gonna go down.

I just got this coldness from her during that interview, both it and the Robyn interview just rubbed me the wrong way. This is my opinion as well as my feelings.

exactly. and who are those people who are going on a semantic run on how Janet said what she said? it's not two different things. she accused him of being a drug addict. there's no greater pet peeve of mine than semantics. people get away with a lot of stuff, using semantics. we're not stupid. and, frankly, it's even worse, when a person uses semantics. at least, have the courage to be direct.

MJ wasn't a drug addict. and i wouldn't want the love of someone who would falsely accuse me, and call themselves someone who loves me or says they are a fan of me, if i was in music. i'd rather be by myself, thank you.[my god. there's never enough piling on against Michael, is there? doing it in life, wasn't enough, apparently. let's keep it up in his death, apparently. help out the media, apparently. apparently, the phrase 'you don't know what you got till it's gone' doesn't resonate as much as once thought]

anyway, it seems, she got the message. she's not allowing certain things to be talked about. it would even be better if interviewers would never be allowed to talk about MJ, when talking to Janet, although she keeps bringing him up, because it will continue to start wars on this site. that's obvious.

the great conundrum is this. should any articles about Janet, where she talks about Michael, be disallowed on this site? because there clearly will always be a clash between the many new rules that will be made, on this site, and the freedom of speech rule that is also of this site.

there doesn't seem to be a solution here, on this site. you can't legislate peoples' emotions. you can't unring any bells, here. she cannot unsay what she said, and you cannot make various fans unfeel what they feel.

so what is the solution?

i'm guessing, there is no answer.

having said that, my feelings are my own. you don't falsely accuse someone, unless you are envious. if you are not envious, you investigate, and you come up with hard proof that cannot be refuted. and some don't like hearing it, but MJ is envied. even with a career like Janet's...with the press saying all they say, even in their hate of MJ, the press lines still bleed proof that even they say MJ had a bigger career. and there's enough proof that envy of him is the result. it's not like it's not known. otherwise, why would the press keep bringing him up in Janet interviews in both his life and his death? and why do people pretend that human nature doesn't take over, and pretend that envy doesn't ensue? reality is reality. but pretense rules the world, because of pride.

if Janet's and Michael's careers were reversed, then everything would be vice versa, including the posts being posted.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ExoticPrincess

It is my opinion that Janet Jackson's remarks about Michael Jackson are always "self-serving".

I agree totally

Yes and I have not looked at Janet the same way since.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back