Janet better singer, dancer or actress ??

Janet is better at...

• Singing

Votes: 58 36.3%
  • Dancing

Votes: 76 47.5%
  • Acting

Votes: 26 16.3%

• Total voters
Before you come at me with an attitude, check your facts then get at me. Beat It was released BEFORE Thriller and as Bob Giraldi said himself, he was requested to create videos with the same dance routine AFTER that video. The dance sequence in Thriller follows the same prototype from Beat It so technically Beat It inspired Thriller. See Pat Benatar's "Love Is A Battlefield" for evidence of Giraldi's statement. Your statement that I referenced didn't say per you, which music video was most influential. It said per you, who/whom inspired the current dance routines utilized by todays female pop stars. I stand by my statement, Beat It. If you find it a challenge to engage in a discussion in a respectful manner, ignore my comments.

Before you come at me with an attitude, check your facts then get at me. Beat It was released BEFORE Thriller and as Bob Giraldi said himself, he was requested to create videos with the same dance routine AFTER that video. The dance sequence in Thriller follows the same prototype from Beat It so technically Beat It inspired Thriller. See Pat Benatar's "Love Is A Battlefield" for evidence of Giraldi's statement. Your statement that I referenced didn't say per you, which music video was most influential. It said per you, who/whom inspired the current dance routines utilized by todays female pop stars. I stand by my statement, Beat It. If you find it a challenge to engage in a discussion in a respectful manner, ignore my comments.

Honestly, I found your post full of attitude. That was why I was a little sarcastic in return. Nothing like a bit of a fun in a debate, eh? ;)

I was referring to levels of IMPACT. People remember Thriller for its routine more so than Beat It. Thriller is the bigger influence here. I wasn't referring at all to when the videos were released and in what order, so please read my post again. Thriller will always be more influential in terms of choreographed routines in music videos. *shrugs*

You perceived attitude because I don't agree with you and I still don't. Per you, Janet Jackson paved the way and is responsible for the current choreographed dance trends. She is very infuential to it, so is Madonna; yet the Beat It video is the first time an artists video presented him/her amongst dancers similar to a Broadway musical. It paved the way for all those, including Thriller, that followed. Janet Jackson did not pave the way for this trend but it doesn't make her any less influential to the trend or the dancers that followed her.

Hmm...touche. You win this match, Mr. Bond.

;)

No but seriously, I understand where you're coming from and all I was saying is that I feel that modern artists like Britney or Beyonce come more from Janet than from Michael. Janet was still making waves in the pop scene in the 90's, where as Michael had kind of risen to a different level of song writing/videos that was in a whole 'nother realm from what Janet was doing.

lets not argue people. We also have to be considerate that our post may come off in a different way or tone than we mean for them to (i know mine do).... but lets agree to disagree

I think she's multi talented. She can do all of the things that Michael was able to.

That's why I have trouble picking a favorite between Michael and Janet. They're both on even keeling, to me at least.

I think she's multi talented. She can do all of the things that Michael was able to.

That's why I have trouble picking a favorite between Michael and Janet. They're both on even keeling, to me at least.
Janet is talented. But, no, she can't do everything Michael could do. Michael was a master vocalist with such versatile vocal range. Michael was also an amazing song writer. Michael was in his own league.

Janets influence in dance and video is very deep.

Michael was the first to incorporate dance in to a video yes, but Janet was the first to conceptually use dance in a video from start to finish. If u think about it nearly every video is a conceptual dance video today. Janets influence is huge for that. She doesn't get the cred for it.

Obviously Michael is a better singer and probably dancer in terms of solid freestyle movement, but I do think janets intricate routines have been original, innovative and forever fresh whereas Michael tended to stuck with the same moves.
Personally, although I think Michaels music catalogue is immensely powerful and therefore probably stronger, I do feel janets is more diverse and interesting.

Last edited:
Very well said, Moog!

I think Janet tends to be ignored in terms of artistic impact. That's because Michael was so huge...but that doesn't negate how influential and how good her music has been over the years.

when it comes to janet singing, personally I think Rhythm Nation is her best vocally, and she's the best female dancer in the msuic industry

Janets influence in dance and video is very deep.

Michael was the first to incorporate dance in to a video yes, but Janet was the first to conceptually use dance in a video from start to finish. If u think about it nearly every video is a conceptual dance video today. Janets influence is huge for that. She doesn't get the cred for it.

Obviously Michael is a better singer and probably dancer in terms of solid freestyle movement, but I do think janets intricate routines have been original, innovative and forever fresh whereas Michael tended to stuck with the same moves.
Personally, although I think Michaels music catalogue is immensely powerful and therefore probably stronger, I do feel janets is more diverse and interesting.

So in essence you are saying that Michael Jackson was a boring dancer?SMH!!Even to this day young and old still try to emulate those dance moves that you say are not fresh/ have not stood the test of time.

See what Debbie Allen, who taught Paula Abdul choreography(who choreographed many videos for Janet after the success of Thriller) says at 0:24

Last edited:
Correction, Paula Abdul only choreographed a few routines in Janet's videos, namely Nasty, What Have You Done For Me Lately and When I think Of You, all three of which don't have particularly memorable choreography and haven't stood the test of time compared to other Janet classics such as The Pleasure Principle and Rhythm Nation. That said, I love Paula to bits and I think she did much better work in her own career as a pop star. Just look at this stellar performance that knocked Janet way out of the ring on the same awards night:

Correction, Paula Abdul only choreographed a few routines in Janet's videos
Amm, I doubt it was only a few routines.But whatever, my point is this, paula , a good choreographer and dancer has worked on videos that are among the ones the moogisland claims have influenced every conceptual dance video today.The person who taught Paula to choreograph, Debbie Allen, has said that MJ was one of people who redefined dance in the last couple of decades. That being the case, it therefore follows that he cannot be a boring dancer as was insinuated.

Yes it actually was, if you look at the credits and read any interviews with Paula. I'm not disagreeing with the majority of your post, because I'm actually in agreeance with what you're saying. Just setting a few things straight via Paula, because I'm a bit of a fan and I've researched into her work with Janet. Here's a great clip by the way of them rehearsing together:

In relation to the post you were replying to, Paula didn't choreograph ANY of the routines that the poster was referring to. Like I said, she only did that trio of singles from the Control era. She didn't choreograph any of Janet's more famous and time-withstanding routines. But as I also said, Paula's choreography on her own work was much more memorable.

^^^^ I agree with the above. Paula only choreograped a few vids in the control era after that she didn't work with Janet anymore. I know Anthony Thomas did some of the Rhythm Nation work. Then from the Janet. Era to Velvet Rope it was Tina Landon. For All For you it was a diff person, I forgot her name. From after that until now its been Gill

Acting. You could tell from an early age she had the chops, but needed to focus on it and hone it. I understand coming from a musical family and all, but different people have different gifts. I'd love to see her act more than hear her sing or watch her dance (which she's good at).

JLO has had tremendous success in movies..but even when janet was blackballed she has still out sold jenniflopez albums wise in the usa in this decade alone!! hell her greatest hit album has outsold jennifer lopez studio album twice..... jennifer is a touring force like janet is.... all for you...rockwit you and number ones tour alone have out grossed her total tours if shes had any...jlo's success as eclipsed janet only in movies ..and has been a very smart woman to use her brand...interms of perfumes and such something janet hasnt done .. and lets not forget janet has had a career for over 35 years rant over

anyway i picked dancing because no female can do it like her..but she amazing in everything she does

any about her influence o todays dance and pop culture ..here a quote from the rollingstones that sums everything up !!

"Janet Jackson may not have the widespread cultural impact of her older brother Michael, but she is a brilliant dancer in her own right, and has arguably had a greater long-term impact on the choreography of contemporary music videos. Her 1989 video for "Rhythm Nation," in which she and a quasi-militaristic ensemble dance in some sort of urban dystopia, set the template for hundreds of videos to come in the Nineties and aughts.
"

Back