Janet better singer, dancer or actress ??

Janet is better at...

• Singing

Votes: 58 36.3%
  • Dancing

Votes: 76 47.5%
  • Acting

Votes: 26 16.3%

• Total voters
She's good at everything. I've seen For Colored Girls not long ago and she's really a good actress :D

subtract the michael connection Janet would be bigger as shes always in his shaddow making her seem less of an icon. I like Jennifer but Janets on a different level to J.Lo, Janets sold about 4 times the amount J.Lo, shes been around for 30 years, the list goes on and on.

Michael was a double edge sword. Without that connection, who knows if she would have even been in the position to be an icon. Janet is a good singer, but the ones in the R&B vein who crossed over into pop "superstardom" in her heyday weren't just good singers, they were vocal powerhouses ala Whitney and Mariah.

Janet deserves her accolades but her last name was a big plus in kicking off her career, but I agree the comparisons were also a hindrance, probably more emotionally than anything else because she thrived in spite of them in the public eye.

Last edited:
^ Yes I must agree with that, the Jackson name did play a part in her career, if she wasn't a Jackson, she probably wouldn't even be a singer. It was Joe who made her do her first 2 albums when she wanted to pursue acting, without that maybe she never would've found passion in music. But then again a name can only take you so far, take the other sisters for example or even the brothers (bar MJ of course), there's a reason she's sold over 100 million albums and the rest have practically nothing to show from their music.
She's an icon in her own right nonetheless though, at her peak she was almost rivalling MJ in terms of success.

It is Joe who is responsible for starting Janets career, just like he was Michaels. It was Joe who spotted Janet singing and then demanding she go in to music. If Michael had flopped It wouldn't be any different, intact he probably would have put even more pressure on Janet.
The fact that janets first 2 albums released around Thriller, flopped, proves that Michael had no impact in her success or exposure. He was more a disadvantage cause Janet had to prove herself above his stardom, and he totally overshadowed her, which is ashame cause like Michael, janets impact and influence is do obvious but for her, unlike Michael, sadly not recognised.

I like her better as a singer/dancer. I used to watch her show "Good Times." She was really good as a child but as an adult I don't think she is a great actress. Maybe is me but whenever I'm watching her act I'm always thinking that is Janet Jackson...lol. To me what makes a great actor/actress is if you can watch them and see their character instead of the celeb.

I'd say dancing, she used to be good dancer in her younger days, never was much of a singer.

She still is a good dancer, the best female dancer there is, to this day. That's why I put dancer.

But Janet is a great singer too and not like some Britney. She actually evokes emotion, and her tone us very soulful and sensual. Britney is just a computer programme with autotune software added.

SINGING - She's one of the few stars left that can say that they have made rock songs (Black Cat), rnb songs (That's the Way Love Goes), hip-hop songs (So Excited), and pop songs (All For You). She's worked with reggae artists (Shaggy, Chingy, Elephant Man, Beenie Man), opera singers ("This Time" feat Kathleen Battle), and latin singers (Pitbull). She's the only female to have a #1 single in every genre. She's also the first female to have a #1 song in four consecutive decades (80's, 90's, 2000's, 2010's)

DANCING - Like Michael, she's 46 and can still out dance artists half her age. Did you know that Rhythm Nation consists of 719 movements? It's a shame really... Janet can still do the Rhythm Nation routine in the year 2011 at 46 year old... but Rihanna, Britney Spears and so many other artists won't bother to snap a finger. Miss You Much, IF, Scream, All For You, All Nite Don't Stop, and Rock With U are all groundbreaking routines. Tina Landon (Janet's choreographer) recently worked with Ciara. She said that Ciara had a difficult time learning Janet's movements.

It is Joe who is responsible for starting Janets career, just like he was Michaels. It was Joe who spotted Janet singing and then demanding she go in to music. If Michael had flopped It wouldn't be any different, intact he probably would have put even more pressure on Janet.
Joe might be responsible for starting Janet's Career, but God was largely responsible for starting Michael's and so there was no chance of him ever flopping.There are not many pre-teen boys that can sing and dance as well as MJ did when he joined his brothers.

The fact that janets first 2 albums released around Thriller, flopped, proves that Michael had no impact in her success or exposure. He was more a disadvantage cause Janet had to prove herself above his stardom,

There is no doubt that the success of thriller put the spot light on all the Jacksons and they all basked in it.Some used the resulting showbiz opportunities to their advantage and became successful, while others did not.

She is a better dancer than a singer.Singing is weak.I don't think this is her fault though, she was not blessed with an outstanding singing voice.Of the Jackson girls ,Rebbie had the best singing voice.

Last edited:
This is why I think she's a good singer:

She is not a powerhouse, never was and never will, but her voice is not weak, and she has been very versatile with it over the years. Her voice is not weak, she's just not a powerhouse, there is a big difference. I also include her song writing ability in singing, because her lyrics from Control onwards have been amazing, minus the repetitive sex songs.

Her dancing is also amazing no one can deny her dancing ability, she is most definitely the best female dancer out there and the only person who could compare to her in dancing is MJ himself. I wish her dance routines would be as impressive as it was though.

Her acting is good, but I wouldn't say spectacular. She's a great actress to say she only does it on the side, and parts of her acting have been great, especially when she was younger, but I wouldn't say it comes close to her singing or dancing.

I def agree about the dancing part, she was one of the best if not the best female dancer, in the music industry

dancing i love watching her dancing so much i dont mind when she lip syncs at life shows to do the dance numbers

I voted for her dancing. She's an excellent actress. And she can sing, but her dancing is incredible. {I saw her twice in concert}

Janet Jackson's singing is pathetic.
Janet Jackson's acting is beyond pathetic, and her dancing is only fair.

:hysterical: dancing only fair, I suppose you think Beyonce can dance then and God knows what you thing of MJ's acting if Janet's is 'beyond pathetic' :lol:.

:hysterical: dancing only fair, I suppose you think Beyonce can dance then and God knows what you thing of MJ's acting if Janet's is 'beyond pathetic' :lol:.

Quoted for absolute truth, LOL!

Without Janet there wouldn't be any of the modern dance sequences you see in videos of artists like Britney or Beyonce. She paved the way for choreographed routines.

Oh and before someone says it, that was in no way a bash at MJ's acting, I'm just saying that Janet is a great actress.

Io
Without Janet there wouldn't be any of the modern dance sequences you see in videos of artists like Britney or Beyonce. She paved the way for choreographed routines.

Actually Michael Jackson's West Side Story inspired "Beat It" video is the architect for ALL music videos with choreographed dance routines including those by Janet Jackson. Though I wouldn't call Beyonce a dancer in a traditional sense, she's more a performer in the likes of Tina Turner, I wouldn't use her as an example of a non-dancer. It would be like Beyonce fans saying Janet Jackson cannot sing because Bey sings rings around her. I wouldn't say Janet's singing is atrocious, I think it's average. Her acting as an adult is mediocre. She had a charming personality as a child and it helped to mask her lack of acting skills. Now MJ's later acting was atrocious but he gets props for The Whiz and the Bad video because he did a very good job in those. Now I cannot understand how anyone can deny Janet's dancing skills. She is one of the best female pop dancers of all time and that cannot be denied.

This is not true.Any serious choreographer will tell you that it is not true.

Last edited:
Oh and before someone says it, that was in no way a bash at MJ's acting, I'm just saying that Janet is a great actress.
Really? Was that not your intention?I think you Janet fans think that she is a better dancer,singer, innovator, composer and performer than MJ was. Oh and that her albums and videos were better than MJ's.

Last edited:
Really? Was that not your intention?I think you Janet fans think that she is a better dancer,singer, innovator, composer and performer than MJ was. Oh and that her albums and videos were better than MJ's.

First off MJ comes first in my life, so don't go saying 'you Janet fans' and I would never EVER say Janet was a better singer, innovator, composer or performer than MJ was. Janet is probably a better actress than Michael was and is up there with him when it comes to dancing, but so what, did I say Michael was a terrible actor or terrible anything? There is a reason I am here at MICHAEL J JACKSON community, stop putting words in my mouth.

I'm not a Janet Jackson fan myself. But, I acknowledge her talents. She's regarded as one of the most successful female artists in her generation. I enjoy some Janet Jackson songs. Her singing is far from pathetic. She's a great live performer. As for her dancing, I think at her peak, she could rival Michael.

If she's a pathetic singer and a fair dancer, then what can we call Britney Spears and other pop singers we have these days?

Michael Jackson comes first to me. ALWAYS!!! He's my king. But, it doesn't mean I have to trash every one of his siblings.

I'm not a Janet Jackson fan myself. But, I acknowledge her talents. She's regarded as one of the most successful female artists in her generation. I enjoy some Janet Jackson songs. Her singing is far from pathetic. She's a great live performer. As for her dancing, I think at her peak, she could rival Michael.

If she's a pathetic singer and a fair dancer, then what can we call Britney Spears and other pop singers we have these days?

Michael Jackson comes first to me. ALWAYS!!! He's my king. But, it doesn't mean I have to trash every one of his siblings.

:clapping: I 100% agree with you!

I agree with you also... I think we all can agree that MJ better than Janet in certain areas, like we think Janet is a better actress and that Janet rivaled MJ in dancing in his prime. But some don't like it when you speak kindly of others on this board

I have never trashed any of Michael's siblings.
This thread simple asked for an opinion, and I gave mine.
Janet can't sing, or act, and her dancing is an acquired taste.

Just my opinion but I don't believe Janet ever rivaled Michael as a dancer in his prime. I guess it depends on what you consider his prime to be and that could depend on your age. I have seen every Janet Jackson concert from Rhythm Nation to this current Number One's tour and I think her strengths as a performer are revealed when you look at the whole performance. There are better singers and better dancers and artists with better songs yet there aren't many put on a better show.

Actually Michael Jackson's West Side Story inspired "Beat It" video is the architect for ALL music videos with choreographed dance routines including those by Janet Jackson. Though I wouldn't call Beyonce a dancer in a traditional sense, she's more a performer in the likes of Tina Turner, I wouldn't use her as an example of a non-dancer. It would be like Beyonce fans saying Janet Jackson cannot sing because Bey sings rings around her. I wouldn't say Janet's singing is atrocious, I think it's average. Her acting as an adult is mediocre. She had a charming personality as a child and it helped to mask her lack of acting skills. Now MJ's later acting was atrocious but he gets props for The Whiz and the Bad video because he did a very good job in those. Now I cannot understand how anyone can deny Janet's dancing skills. She is one of the best female pop dancers of all time and that cannot be denied.

Actually you need to get your facts straight before trying to correct someone.

Thriller will ALWAYS be the "architect" for all music videos, but technically its the trio of Beat It, Thriller and Smooth Criminal that had the biggest effect on the industry, and all were inspired by musicals and stage productions that came before it.

Janet's choreographed routines have a completely different feel to Michael's; for one, her's are very strict choreography and she leads the pack, rather than dancing out the front doing her own thing/improvising. She's also more well known for her choreographed solo routines ala The Pleasure Principle.

Also....its the Wiz. As in short for the Wizard of Oz.

Back