John Landis says Michael Jackson was too ‘grotesque’ to film

HIStory

Proud Member
John Landis being a jerk again - and also talks about Thriller in 3D

John Landis says Michael Jackson was too ‘grotesque’ to film: Howell

Thriller director John Landis rejected Michael Jackson’s plea to make another film together because he was appalled by the pop star’s “Phantom of the Opera” face.

John Landis directed Thriller for Michael Jackson but rejected a request to make another film because he was appalled by the pop superstar’s “grotesque” face

By: Peter Howell Movie Critic, Published on Thu Jun 13 2013

Thriller director John Landis rejected Michael Jackson’s plea to make another film together because he was appalled by the pop superstar’s “grotesque” face, ruined by cosmetic surgery.

The “desperate” request from Jackson came less than two years before his June 2009 death, Landis told the Star, at a time when Jackson was hoping to revive his stagnant career.

“I went and met with him, and he asked me if I would do another film with him and he was so disfigured by then, it was so grotesque what he had done to himself,” Landis said from Los Angeles.

“He had no nose! It was like the Phantom of the Opera! He wore a little (nose) piece. I was so horrified. You look at the cover of Off the Wall (his 1979 album): this was a good-looking guy!”

Landis said he already knew that Jackson had gone “completely crazy” at some point after they’d teamed for the award-winning 1983 “Thriller” music video, because he’d worked with him again in 1991, directing Jackson’s “Black or White” video.

“I still liked him, but he lived on another planet.”

It wasn’t until Landis met him again in 2007 that he realized just how much more damage Jackson had inflicted upon himself through excessive cosmetic surgery. It’s believed that Jackson had a dozen or more nose jobs alone in the decades before his death from cardiac arrest at age 50 on June 25, 2009, although he admitted to just two such procedures.

“Just that self-loathing . . . he bleached his skin! He was a black guy when I met him! I found him such a tragic figure. I liked him, but I was heartbroken and truthfully I couldn’t figure out a way to shoot him (for a new film).”

Jackson tried to persuade Landis to work with him, offering complete creative control, but the plea didn’t work.

“He wanted to do whatever I wanted . . . he felt he had done good work with me and he just was desperate. He clearly was not in good health.”

Landis, 62, made the Jackson revelations during an interview to advance his July 18 Toronto visit for the reunion at TIFF Bell LightboxAnimalHouse reunion at TIFF Bell Lightbox. The 1978 frat-boy comedy, which Landis directed and which made the late John Belushi a movie star, was the first of a string of hits by the Chicago-born filmmaker, who also helmed The Blues Brothers, An American Werewolf in London and Trading Places.

Our Animal House conversation (watch for a future column) also included discussion of Thriller. The 14-minute musical horror homage, marking its 30th anniversary this year, sees Jackson morph into both a werewolf and zombie.

Based on the title track of Jackson’s record-breaking 1982 Thriller album, the video was an immediate smash upon its December 1983 release, despite having a running time far exceeding the three-minute standard for pop tunes and videos.

The “Thriller” video would go on to win many awards and “best video ever” accolades, including a 2009 admission by the Library of Congress to the National Film Registry, the first music video to be so honoured.

A 45-minute documentary The Making of Thriller, produced in 1983 by Landis and also co-starring him, would go on to reap sales and awards kudos of its own.

Landis first met Jackson after the pop superstar had seen his 1981 comedy-horror hybrid An American Werewolf in London. Jackson was impressed by the werewolf faces created by the film’s Oscar-winning makeup man Rick Baker, and he wanted to do something similar with Landis and Baker. At that time, Jackson’s desire to look grotesque was make-believe, not reality.

“He just wanted to turn into a monster,” Landis said.

“I realized immediately that, gosh, this guy’s celebrity is so gigantic, instead of doing a little needle-drop video, a classic music video, I would much rather make a theatrical short, a ‘two-reeler.’

“And I thought that hopefully we could use Michael’s celebrity to bring back theatrical shorts, because I love shorts.”

But Landis discovered that even a Michael Jackson project could hit a road block. Walter Yetnikoff, then the president of CBS Records, objected to the $500,000 proposed budget of this “vanity video,” because regular music videos at the time cost between $20,000 to $50,000 to make.

“Walter Yetnikoff literally said, ‘We’ve made all the money (from the Thriller album), f--- you.’ And it was a union shoot and very ambitious. I wanted the dancers to have at least a week’s rehearsal, that’s expensive.

“The makeup call at that time was the biggest makeup call in history, although I think that (record) has been passed. We had like 40 makeup artists. It went big! . . . We were able to raise the money by selling The Making of Thriller to Showtime, which was a brand new cable channel.”

Landis says he has mostly fond memories of Jackson, even though he ended up suing him and later Jackson’s estate for $2.3 million (U.S.) he felt he was owed from Thriller’s immense success. The suit was settled last year for an undisclosed sum.

“On Thriller, I think I was never paid. I own half of it. My deal was with Michael’s company and Michael’s company was mismanaged. . . . I mean, I just received my Thriller money — or I should say my 30 per cent Thriller money — last year. It was finally settled. I was suing him for 14 years.”

Landis had just turned 33 when the “Thriller” video was released, just eight years older than Jackson, yet he felt a lot older than him.

“It was like dealing with a gifted 10-year-old. He really was childlike. And he was emotionally damaged: he was an abused kid and had a very difficult childhood. But when I made “Thriller,” he hadn’t gone totally crazy yet.

“He still had a lot of joy within him. He wasn’t that intense yet. He was tortured, but he was happy-go- lucky for a lot of it. He worked very hard. He was just great. If you see The Making of Thriller, you see I treated him like a kid, which is what he was. And I really liked him.”

Landis still has plans for “Thriller,” despite everything. The Jackson estate wants to make a 3D vision of the video, for release next year. Landis expects to be involved, although he has mixed emotions about it.

“I think they’re going to restore and convert ‘Thriller,’ which they have to do with me, I own it, and that may be released theatrically next year . . .

“They’re going to figure every way they can to get money out of that poor dead guy.”

http://www.thestar.com/entertainmen...ael_jackson_too_grotesque_to_film_howell.html

I actually wouldn't have brought this article here because it's just disgusting, but I did because of what he said about Thriller in 3D at the end. Though after this I hope he won't collaborate on it.

Re: John Landis being a jerk again - and also talks about Thriller in 3D

:doh: Mehmehmeh

Last edited:

Thriller 3D would be great!!

And knowing how much MJ loved 3D he sure would love the project!

Who needs enemies when you have friends like this??

He's a strange one. The video of Landis breaking down shortly after Michael died really moved me. I think he had a lot of love for Michael.

Although I won't thank him for his word choice, I can see where he's coming from on some aspects.

But there's many stories in the industry about Landis thinking he's the big I am etc. I highly doubt Michael would give him complete creative control like that. He just says that stuff to make himself look good. It doesn't work, pal!

And if Landis was so morally against a Thriller re-release, given that he owns it by his admission, surely then he could stop it? Or are the cash registers already ringing in someone's ears?

Go to hell John. THIS is the exact reason Michael wanted nothing to do with most adults. John had no other reason to not work with Michael other than he didn't like his appearance. And whose the child? Is there anyone but Elizabeth Taylor and Diana Ross who never stabbed him In the back?

I think Michael looked very well and healthy in 2007, so John is just talking bull...

SMH!! I wish people would have some compassion for one another. Why the need to call someone grotesque, monster, self-loathing etc when you KNOW that person was emotionally scarred from his childhood/teen years. Its like 'kick him where it hurts' scenario. If I knew someone was still hurting from lets say bad acne I would never in my life mention it or describe that person as having bad acne. Where is the understanding and compassion??

"Be kind for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle" is something Landis should think about.

Is there any truth to the nose piece? I'm going to assume not because of his other claim about him bleaching his skin when in the autopsy report it clearly states he had vitiligo.

I hope that Thriller in 3D part is true. It would be amazing! I hope they will also release it on Blu-Ray and that should be done to other short films too.

Is there any truth to the nose piece? I'm going to assume not because of his other claim about him bleaching his skin when in the autopsy report it clearly states he had vitiligo.

No, there's no truth to the nose piece - if he didnt have a nose or much of one that would have been stated in the autopsy, too. Landis is just being a grade A jerk and looking for attention by dissing Michael. Michael looked beautiful in 2007... he was always beautiful.

Sounds like he read that ridiculous thing that said he kept noses in a jar!

We are dealing with so much negative stuff about Michael right now, this article just adds to the burden. I appreciate why it was posted, but I think that, at this time, it would have been better to just quote the parts about Thriller 3D.

Some people have a harder time accepting 'different'. Well, whatever, fair enough. It does bother me that Landis has been a little too vocal about all the things that he found strange about Michael, but he did have true admiration and appreciation of him as well, and he's expressed that, too. He's clearly a bit of a jerk, but meh, brush it off!

There are plenty of 'pap' shots of MJ from 2005 - 2009 where Michael looks beautiful. They are not especially posed or staged. So where would be the difficulty? Sounds more like 'I wanted the money from Thriller and I was annoyed about it'...which is fair enough, if it was genuinely owed. I guess it must have been (genuinely owed) if the estate paid up.

I really think people need to start taking a look at themselves first before they go and say shit about other people. He talks about Michael Jackson here like he's not human. "Grotesque" like the Phantom of the Opera? When I hear that word, I think of monsters. This may sound juvenile but that's downright mean. What an egotistical jerk. I think it's ridiculous how some worry so much about how Michael looked. Get a life. The Thriller 3D thing would be cool, though.

Oh, he’s doing the old “lets make fun of Michael Jackson to get attention when your career is flopping and nobody is paying any attention to you” thing. How classy.

Sunwalker7;3844809 said:
Oh, he’s doing the old “lets make fun of Michael Jackson to get attention when your career is flopping and nobody is paying any attention to you” thing. How classy.

Exactly!

Nobody and I mean NOBODY talks about John Landis unless Landis has something to say about Michael Jackson.

I mean, when was the last time John Landis did anything noteworthy? Off the top of my head, I can't think of anything. He thinks he's freaking Spielberg, with a roster filled with Blockbusters, but he's not.

Go To Bed John, Go To Bed!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It’s not that John Landis has to find Michael beautiful or anything, but I think it’s low to talk about his appearance like that. He has to know that it’s been a difficult, sensitive topic for Michael since he was a teenager. He also has to know that people have been making fun of Michael’s looks for decades. Think what you will about his appearance, but he has been tormented about his looks quite enough.

Big Apple2;3844830 said:
I mean, when was the last time John Landis did anything noteworthy? Off the top of my head, I can't think of anything. He thinks he's freaking Spielberg, with a roster filled with Blockbusters, but he's not.
I checked his wikipedia page, and it says there that “Some of his best known works were the Thriller music video for Michael Jackson, The Blues Brothers, and Beverly Hills Cop III. He was well known and active in the '80s and still occasionally directs today.” So he was mostly successful in the 80s. Oh, but Michael was desperate to work with Landis to revive his stagnant career, sure.

Sunwalker7;3844837 said:
It’s not that John Landis has to find Michael beautiful or anything, but I think it’s low to talk about his appearance like that. He has to know that it’s been a difficult, sensitive topic for Michael since he was a teenager. He also has to know that people have been making fun of Michael’s looks for decades. Think what you will about his appearance, but he has been tormented about his looks quite enough.

I checked his wikipedia page, and it says there that “Some of his best known works were the Thriller music video for Michael Jackson, The Blues Brothers, and Beverly Hills Cop III. He was well known and active in the '80s and still occasionally directs today.” So he was mostly successful in the 80s. Oh, but Michael was desperate to work with Landis to revive his stagnant career, sure.

Thank you for posting that information Sunwalker7!

Let me tell you guys something, John Landis is full of mularkey!

A few years ago, the Tribeca Film Festival in New York City, had a special screening to THRILLER and John Landis was their to introduce the film and talk about the Making Of (which was also shown). He was talking so nicely about Michael, even got choked up a few times.

Oh and the place was PACKED! I went with a couple of my friends, and we were surprised to see how LARGE the crowd was. I figured that folks would come out, but the amount of people who came out, which included couples, groups of friends,and parents with their children, was amazing. It was a great turnout!

And there was John Landis in all his glory talking so sweetly about Michael Jackson.

We are dealing with so much negative stuff about Michael right now, this article just adds to the burden. I appreciate why it was posted, but I think that, at this time, it would have been better to just quote the parts about Thriller 3D.

I thought about that but then it would not have been a fair representation of the article as the main emphasis of the article wasn't on Thriller 3D - it was just a sidenote. And people would have checked out the full article anyway if I didn't post the whole of it - only giving it more clicks. I posted it so that you don't have to give it more clicks.

Still bitter about being smacked in the face with a whipped cream pie, I see.

I can't believe that John told such about Michael. I loved John before this article and I can't believe that he could tell it. Perhaps, something not so with this article?

John once again going out of his way to hide his man crush. At least Michael did not kill three people

Wow, what a douche.
And even if he felt that way, why trash a person who helped your career as much as you helped his.

I'm sure he was probably owed money, but yeah. Low blow.

At least Michael did not kill three people

tumblr_mludndbkuN1qdl5f4o1_500.jpg

Oh, while we're on this topic of him, why oh why wasn't The Making Of Thriller ever released on DVD?? And even more-so, Blu Ray??

I'd actually buy a blu-ray TODAY of the Thriller video WITH the original documentary.
THAT should have been on the Thriller 25 dvd...

Back