John Textor: possible‘Michael Jackson’hologram concert next year

The more we shun this concept the more Michael won't remain fresh to people:(
and didn't he always wanted to stay ahead and remain fresh and new ?
let the new generations have a taste of an experience which many of us were able to have back then

this tech is all we have now I'm sorry I don't want to anger anyone but it's the truth

I was a little supportive of the hologram for the billboard awards, but it needed a heck of a lot of work.
I liked the new costumes and new choreography to a new song.
But that was a Special Event.
I can see (if it can be drastically improved) doing it for world wide one time only special events. But touring? No.

I'd rather them spend money on restoring the film they have. Film makes you live forever.

I'm not for MJ hologram performing new songs he never performed live. But if the technology is right and if MJ can look as good and as realistic as Arnold I'm down for it. But it has to be the songs and choreographies that he performed. Because I don't want to see an impersonator. I want to see fully digital MJ if that is possible. If it's not, then NO. Look at what they did with Arnold. They studied every movie and even commercial he ever did. They studied every muscle from Pumping Iron (because every people in the world can recognize his chest muscles and his biceps). It's exactly the same how people can recognize real moonwalk from fake moonwalk and every other MJ move. They need to learn how to create digital character that can do exactly what MJ did in some live show. And replicate that scene by scene, exactly like it happened in the real shows.

For someone like me who has no idea about what's possible and what isn't in terms of technology, they made it sound like they had used footage of the actual Michael to make the Billboard hologram with.. "I learned that Michael’s estate trustees came across undiscovered L.A. Reid recorded footage of Michael that they didn’t know existed. They didn’t know what they originally wanted to do with it or make with it except just wanting to capture him alive forever. That became the background format for this new technology." So I was expecting to see some type of 3D projection of footage of the real Michael, maybe even unseen footage.. (you can imagine how incredibly disappointed I was<_<). If they'd be able to do something like that I would probably want to see it, but that's the only version of a hologram I'd be (slightly) interested in.. Using some digitally altered impersonator and putting Michael's name on it almost feels like an insult to me.

barbee0715;4112240 said:
I'd rather them spend money on restoring the film they have. Film makes you live forever.

Agreed :yes:

The technology is nowhere it needs to be to be worth while to do a concert like this..... They have much further to go to make it right!!

let the new generations have a taste of an experience which many of us were able to have back then

But it's not MJ. It's an impersonator. Is an impersonator the same as MJ? Does an impersonator give you a taste of the experience that MJ did? It would be sad if it did because that would mean MJ was nothing special - he can be simply replaced by an impersonator. But to me he definitely can't.
And do we really think MJ's legacy needs to be kept fresh through "holograms" of not even him, but impersonators?

I think MJ's legacy is strong enough on its own. Go to any streaming service and his music is among the most popular, his albums still regularly chart on Billboard etc. I don't think MJ's legacy needs gimmicks with cheap impersonators. And no impersonator can replace him and give people the experience that he did.

I'm not for MJ hologram performing new songs he never performed live. But if the technology is right and if MJ can look as good and as realistic as Arnold I'm down for it. But it has to be the songs and choreographies that he performed. Because I don't want to see an impersonator. I want to see fully digital MJ if that is possible. If it's not, then NO. Look at what they did with Arnold. They studied every movie and even commercial he ever did. They studied every muscle from Pumping Iron (because every people in the world can recognize his chest muscles and his biceps). It's exactly the same how people can recognize real moonwalk from fake moonwalk and every other MJ move. They need to learn how to create digital character that can do exactly what MJ did in some live show. And replicate that scene by scene, exactly like it happened in the real shows.
I get what you mean. If one day new technology becomes available that allows them to scan old film/video footage and turn it into a 3d hologram, then that's a different situation for me too. That could be a case of presenting Michael's classic material, stuff he created, using the latest technology. That would be more similar to releasing a concert film in theatres. Only instead of staring at a screen, people get to watch a projection. I am still not sure how I feel about this exactly (for instance, the idea of a touring hologram, even if it is a projection of the real MJ, just seems tacky), but at least inauthenticity is not an issue then.

I wonder if they are going to charge people money for this show. Billbord was for free, but if people pay money to see MJ and get an impersonator CGI instead, that makes the organizer legally liable for misrepresentation.

I wonder if they are going to charge people money for this show. Billbord was for free, but if people pay money to see MJ and get an impersonator CGI instead, that makes the organizer legally liable for misrepresentation.

I imagine they'd include something in the ticket terms and conditions that covers them for this?

Billboard wasn't a hologram. It was a poor impersonator with a digitally altered face on a big screen.

If they plan on using a genuine Michael performance then we can talk.

For me, a 'Michael hologram' with current technology is equivalent to a 'Michelangelo photocopy'. It gives you an idea of the picture (moving, in Michael's case), with none of the wonder; the feeling that Michael/Michelangelo was unique and remarkable. There is an indefinable dimension missing in machine-made copies. That is why people from around the world still travel to museums and galleries to see real art, when they can see a 'machine/ virtual'-copy at home on their own computers.

The only way this can really work is if they could somehow digitally 'cut' out Michael from one of his concerts say from the Bad tour and somehow transfer the image of Michael with-in the spot lights using some kind of projectorry system so the digital footage of Michael is moving across the real life stage. I'm so sure this type of technology could work in the future maybe in 10-20 years.

Thanks for your post Skywalk
That's what I mean.. An m sim..a sim,.nothing but footage of m.
Guess it's too soon..going to leave this thread
Hit me up in thirty years
All for love.

The real thing is gone. CGI impersonator is bad. But look what they did for Schwarzenegger. Of course they needed a stand in to act, but they replaced digitally every line of his body, every muscle, every hair, every move. So it's not impersonator anymore it's 100% CGI character.

This is what we need like it was mention how much the Estate is willing to pay. i do not like a impersonator i would watch a DVD of Michael instead it the real thing.

If the Estate is willing to pay the money then i am all for it. Why do their not use Pepper Ghost that is really like Michael.

this tech is all we have now I'm sorry I don't want to anger anyone but it's the truth

You are okay and right it just that the fans do not want to see a impersonator if there is a way that the hologram can be done with this new tech and without a impersonator that would be great and the new generations come up will have that experience that we had back then that would be awesome. If the Estate is willing to pay for this then that would be great

I see that Textor/ Pulse Evolution has now partnered up with some ex-Sony execs and technical people at a company called VTEC:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
17th Nov 15

PORT ST. LUCIE, Fla. & NEW YORK--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Pulse Evolution Corporation (OTC: PLFX) (“Pulse”), a recognized pioneer and leading developer of hyper-realistic digital humans for holographic live performances, virtual reality, augmented reality and artificial intelligence, today announced a partnership with VTEC Laboratories of Tokyo, Japan (“VTEC”). VTEC is a developer of high-quality technologies and solution systems in the emerging world of immersive video and audio experiences.

Pulse and VTEC are currently in development of a personal Head Mounted Display (HMD) player, intended to provide immersive entertainment access for standard virtual reality (VR) systems users to unique live events, such as virtual music concerts, multi-player games and other events set in rich VR environments that can be populated by hyper-realistic digital humans from Pulse Evolution. The Pulse-VTEC collaboration will principally focus on VTEC’s Virtual Reality Theater Concept, an HMD-based virtual theater system that supports high-resolution movie playback in VR, interactive viewpoints with multiple location support, live streaming and large-audience crowd support.

Yoshihito Ebine is the CEO of VTEC and is former Senior General Manager of Sony Corporation Strategic Planning. “We are thrilled to announce this unique collaboration with Pulse Evolution,” Ebine said. “Pulse is the gold standard of human animation in a world that is about to be overrun by digital humans. VTEC is uniquely positioned to build the delivery systems of an immersive and interactive VR world, and Pulse is the right partner to build the people we will meet when we get there.”

Hiroyasu Furuse, COO and CTO of VTEC, is the former Senior Manager of Sony Corporation 4K Display and 4K Digital Cinema business. “I am proud to be working with John Textor and his team at Pulse,” Furuse said. “The fast developing industry of alternative display systems is both impressive and lacking. While there are device alternatives and multiple choices of HMD goggle systems, there are very few end-to-end solutions for enterprise customers and for end-consumers. There are even fewer companies like Pulse Evolution, which can deliver the content and experiences that will make virtual reality a fascinating reality.”

Pulse Evolution’s journey started when the late Tupac Shakur was brought to life in a digital animation performance at the 2012 Coachella Music and Arts Fair. In 2014, Pulse’s digital animation of a new performance by the late Michael Jackson was the highlight of the Billboard Music Awards. Pulse recently announced additional collaborations with the estates of Elvis Presley and Marilyn Monroe that will result in digital animated performances by the late artists in venues around the world.

http://www.businesswire.com/news/ho...tion-Japan’s-VTEC-Laboratories-Announce-Joint

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
and another little snippet, where he said that he does not believe in 'digital performance concerts'.....which seems not to tie in with the new partnership described above.

John Textor, the chairman of Pulse Evolution which spearheaded the Tupac and Michael Jackson holograms, said it was critical to design real shows, not just to rely on holograms.

He expected the Elvis musical to run 90 minutes and feature live dancers and actors, in the fashion of a Broadway show.
"I don't believe in digital performance concerts. By the time you get to the third song, you're done. The novelty is gone," Textor said in an interview.

Beyond concerts, Textor has plenty of other ideas in store for the technology. He hopes to "reinvent karaoke" by letting amateur crooners perform with their favorite singers.............................................................

http://phys.org/news/2015-11-holograms-mainstream-future-full-possibility.html#jCp

Last edited:
I hope there won't be any Michael Jackson holograms anymore. Only if they use real footage of him but if they use some impersonator again it's not a Michael Jackson hologram.

I have no doubt that at some point there will be more. The potential for the technology and revenue is too vast and I suppose as it's put out there more, people will become more accepting of it. The hologram at the Billboard awards was just a stepping stone. As the technology improves they will probably find a way to make a hologram based on Michael rather than impersonators. Holograms aren't going away any time soon.

just have mixed feelings when it comes to Holograms cause indeed it will never replace the real thing and the fine line lies in the details. Please NO impersonator anymore too. That totally destroys the 'illusion' for me.

That CGI seems cool though and more TRUE to the REAL stuff indeed.

I would exactly be more excited about a 'humanoid' robot they can build in Michael's likeness and with Michael's voice and moves. That would be really like the next step in evolution and somehow make Michael 'immortal' really. :D

I would go to a concert like this and then have a 'meet & greet' too :cheeky:

Uhhhh im not sure i would like to see a concert like that. The hollogram they used to the Slave to the rythem was quite amazing to look at but it didnt look anything like MJ

Uhhhh im not sure i would like to see a concert like that. The hollogram they used to the Slave to the rythem was quite amazing to look at but it didnt look anything like MJ

It was a hologram they made of a impersonator and from what I understood the impersonator was not to happy about it as he did not know they were going to use the footage they made of him for that. But that is only hear say.

As for a hologram performance, they can do that using images of the real Michael. They did the same with Tupac before. Now I am not a fan of it. But if it can give the new generation somewhat of a same experience, then hey why not?

Was it ever confirmed that the STTR hologram was an impersonator or CGI?

It sure didn't look like Michael, and was a let down after the huge hype up.

Must admit though the anticipation and discussions after were fun at least.

Love The idea.... Would be an amazing experience for us the younger gen. That didn't get the chance to see him live...:)

In 2014 Billboard Awards Estate was very cheap as always. I'm absolutely against that. But if they invest money and make something impressive like Arnold Schwarzenegger "hologram" in new Terminator Genisys movie, then I'm for it. It's all about the money you are willing to spend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKlbaU_uWpI
Omg I've been saying this since i saw 2pac hologram. Like why in thee f word didn't they do this for the biggest & greatest of all time like....what's the deal with the estate & blu ray copies of visions etc...why do we get crappy mj quality every rip! All the way up to wembley 88 shows for b25. They claim they couldn't find the masters,seriously can we get blu ray releases of this man. Why is it so hard & btw how are blu rays made & what equipment or software do they use to upscale because i swear i would do everything i could to make them for us fans!

just have mixed feelings when it comes to Holograms cause indeed it will never replace the real thing and the fine line lies in the details. Please NO impersonator anymore too. That totally destroys the 'illusion' for me.

That CGI seems cool though and more TRUE to the REAL stuff indeed.

I would exactly be more excited about a 'humanoid' robot they can build in Michael's likeness and with Michael's voice and moves. That would be really like the next step in evolution and somehow make Michael 'immortal' really. :D

I would go to a concert like this and then have a 'meet & greet' too :cheeky:
I always said why didn't they use cgi for that performance...like for ps vita. & how different would it be on stage for that cgi rather the hologram, who could tell the difference or is it a difference is what I'm asking

It was a hologram they made of a impersonator and from what I understood the impersonator was not to happy about it as he did not know they were going to use the footage they made of him for that. But that is only hear say.

As for a hologram performance, they can do that using images of the real Michael. They did the same with Tupac before. Now I am not a fan of it. But if it can give the new generation somewhat of a same experience, then hey why not?
He wasn't happy about it? Sounds like bullshit to me! Especially with "new choreography" smh he saw us fans weren't pleased & came up with something

Um BIG QUESTION IS....WHERE IS THE CGI & BODY CAPTURES MICHAEL RECORDED FOR GHOST FOR THE SKELETON.IM 100% SURE HE DID NOT ONLY DO THAT 1 DANCE SEGMENT,I KNOW ITS EXTENDED DANCE PARTS & WHY DID THEY NOT USE THAT FOR THE HOLOGRAM?? SOMEONE PLEEEEEASE ANSWER THAT 1 FOR ME

Back