Just started a new job, not feeling so good about it

L.T.D

Proud Member
Ok so for years I have suffered from issues with confidence.

I wouldnt call myself shy, I am very shy in a lot of situations but in others I am fine.

Since I left school about 3 years ago I have been in college studying music but gave it up in June.

I hadnt gotten a job in that time because I was afraid of the idea to be quite honest. I hate the idea of being stuck in an uncomfortable position in a place your dont feel comfortable in for a long period of time. I also hate the idea of doing something wrong.

My home is my comfort zone, I only really leave it to go places I either feel comfortable in...or if i'm not going to be somewhere i'm uncomfortable in for long.

I got a job in October working for Sainsbury's. I applied for a night shift 3 days a week. Which is quite good and the pay is good. The shop i'm working at doesnt open till next week so I was sent to another store to start training. I went from 10pm last night till 6am this morning.

When I start properly it will be from 12pm till 8am. Everyone is so happy and pleased for me that I have got a job because I have avoided it for so long.

I felt horrible during this night shift, all I did was stack shelves for 7 hours and had an hour lunch. I wasnt prepared for the night shift and started to feel sleepy during the lunch break.

In life you can either fight or flee, more often than not, I flee. I end up messing the whole thing up.

I just have this idea in my head that working is going to make me miserable, but on the other hand I cant go through life without a job and let everyone down. On one hand I want to be like everyone else, on the other I dont want to be unhappy.

This is something I really have to do, but I dont trust myself to stick at it. I was supposed to do training for 3 days this week. I did the first last night and then ended up phoning my manager and explaining to him that I didnt feel comfortable being stuck there with all these people who have worked there for years. Even though these peoples were more than nice to me.

Anyway just had to vent. You might think...its only 3 days a week. Its not that which bothers me though, it issues with my confidence and being outside of my comfort zone.

I just want to enjoy Christmas time without the stress this is putting on me, but I cant.

Hi,

First of all, congrats on getting the job :clapping:, even though you don't feel good about it. I think that you're getting tired because you aren't used to working, so obviously it will take some time to adjust. It's good that for now you're only working 3 days a week so that you can ease into it..

You've been handed an excellent opportunity to get out of your comfort zone and make a change. You can't stay stuck at home by yourself forever, so keep reminding yourself that you NEED to do this. Don't be worried about screwing up (everyone makes mistakes at their jobs)...and as intimidating your co-workers may seem to you (despite being nice), this is a chance for you to get more social interaction. Make the best out of it, this job is a stepping stone towards a much better future!

You'll get used to it eventually. If I could handle a crappy part-time job bagging zucchinis and getting shit for things I had nothing to do with by people who are too stupid to listen to the store intercom system, you can handle your miserable job too.

The first few weeks are always the hardest--then you start getting used to it and soon enough it'll be second nature to you.

4011= PLU # for bananas. I still remember that...

Yes, give it some time and you will get used to it. But don't think of it as forever. Think of it as a stepping stone to something else, something better eventually. Stay there long enough so that you can use the experience to improve your resume. Everyone has to start somewhere. Good luck.:)

Good work on getting the job :clapping: You're already doing a lot better than others by pushing yourself to get out of your comfort zone, being more productive and playing a role in your community. I really do think it's great that you have that self motivation.
Like everyone else here is saying, settling into a new job is always hard, and some people find it more intimidating than others. But just remind yourself of why you're doing it, and give yourself a reward at the end of it! In time it will become easier and you won't find yourself dreading it so much. By the way, those night shifts sound really tough :( - I hope you're able to get enough rest so your body can adjust.

Congrats on getting your job, its tough when your stepping out into the big world, from the comfort of your home, I was like you when I was young, very shy, especially when your dealing with other people and your afraid of messing things up. But its all about building confidence, taking one step at a time, once you've got your first few weeks under your belt, you'll wonder what all the fuss was about. Just look forward to Christmas and listening to Michael, thats what gets me through difficult times. All the best.

Thank you for your replies everyone! They really made me feel better about it.

They held this thing on Thursday night where all the new people where in this big hall, and we all did a big quiz. That helped a bit, I saw that the people who i'd be starting with where actually MORE nervous than me!

Like they were really nervous, and I learnt something about myself. If I sense others are feeling really nervous and I am less nervous, I will make an effort to start conversation.

I went in there thinking everyone was going to be full of confidence and i'd be sitting there all quiet. But I actually found myself trying to ease things by creating conversation!

I feel a lot better about it all, the only thing that bothers me now is the hours and times I will be working. My boss is starting me off from 10pm-6am. Which isnt as bad as 12pm-8am. I'm not sure how I will react to these night shifts. Guess i'll have to wait and see.

I'm just afraid that I wont be able to do the night shifts and then i'm pretty much stuck doing them! I mean, they hired me to do night shifts and I cant exactly say I want to switch after a few weeks. I'm stuck doing them until at least new year.

I hope I am ok doing them.

Glad that worked out for you. I think that even when people appear to be confident sometimes they are just faking it really well. And some are not good with covering it up (like me).

Sometimes I would love nothing more than to just stay home and not work (and never have to take the subway or bus again) but then I think, what am I going to do with myself after the initial novelty wears off after a few days? Sometimes I have taken a 2 week vacation (just staying home) and by the end of the second week I am so bored and am actually looking forward to getting back to work (and I work in a boring office in a cubicle). Besides, I have a mortgage to pay so I have no choice but to work. I'll be working for the rest of my life, lol.

About the night shift, I have never worked one of those. That has to be very tough but I would imagine there would be a small period of adjustment where your internal clock gets used to the hours. Then eventually it will be normal for you? Anyway, good luck and keep us posted on how it goes.

I hope it becomes normal for me, because I worked from 10 till 5 last night and it felt ridiculous.

I mean, I wanted to work nights because the customers would make me really nervous, but now I feel isolated? :S Its really weird.

starting a new job is like starting a new school. it can be hard at first but i only gets easier and u make new friends etc we have all been there.same with the confidence. u will never get it if you dont try.its like the longer u leave it the worst it gets.just get through the initial barrier and get abit of confidence and if u dont like the job at least u will have more confidence to apply for others. and even if u dont like the ppl much around u u can always just do your own thing aslong as the job gets done. try out the shifts and if it really doesnt work out then ask about changing.did u want to do nights in the first place? maybe it wont be as bad as u think. its not quite the same but i work till 4am some nights. never wanted to orignally cause i thought there no way ill be able to stay awake and end up felling tired/sick etc. but i do it all the time now without giving it a thought.

Congratulations on your new job! Getting a job nowadays is getting more and more difficult because there aren't many out there, and there are sooo many people applying for the same jobs that your chances are usually up against you, so well done for that :D

When I finished uni in July, I initially quite liked the idea of having a bit of time off but after a few weeks of job searching, I was pulling my hair out. Without a job, I felt worthless, without a purpose and extremely bored. I managed to get a job about 2 months ago. At first it was very daunting but now I don't mind it, I like what I do, I like my work colleagues and I've made new friends. So from a personal opinion, having a job is definitely better than living without one. (Plus payday feels like Christmas! ;) )

I'm sure you'll start getting used to your night shifts. Its only normal that they're going to seem difficult to begin with but after a while, it will get better! Sometimes going to work will feel like a chore and not every day at work is interesting or fun, but just think of the money you'll be earning. Plus, this is all good experience for you if you want to look for another job in the future! Definitely stick at it ;) If you give up, you'll probably have to go through the whole process of applying for jobs/ getting a job/ first day at work again... and you're already past the hardest bit. :)

Good luck!

Having a job is much better than not having one, especially with the state our economy is in at the moment. Starting a new job is always so nervous but you quickly settle in, don't give up after a couple of weeks, give it a chance. And the night shifts obviously require some getting used to as your body is not designed to work nights so that needs to get used to it. When I left uni it took me ages to find a job and it was not one that I particularly wanted. But I had to get a job, I was tearing my hair out at home and was so bored. I'm happier now I have a steady income coming in and don't need to worry so much. Plus it gives you a sense of purpose.

Stick at it hun and see how it goes.

Thanks again everyone for all of your input.

I'm now past being nervous, but the new problem is that its 8 hours on my feet stacking shelves. From Midnight to 8 am!!!! For some reason my heels, or the ball of my foot ache like hell and its hard to find time to just sit down. They only allow a half an hour break in the entire 8 hours :\

When I applied for this job there was a typo or something on the website which said 8pm-12, 4 nights a week. Turns out that it was actually midnight-8am, 4 nights a week :| He let me cut that down to 24 hours a week.

Furthermore, when I had done the interview and stuff nobody contacted me to let me know if I had got the job or not. So I phoned up and a woman told me that I hadnt got the job. But, on the actual day of my interview I had recieved an email telling me I hadnt got the job and I was unsuccessful at the interview. BEFORE I had even done the interview!

So my mum put two and two together thinking there had been a mistake and phoned up a second time, and they told me that there was indeed a mistake and I actually did pass the interview and had got the job.

Then we had to do a two day induction, the first day I completed fine. The second day I felt slightly queezy and asked to go for a drink, after 10 minutes a woman came in and told me I had to go home ill because I felt ill and had been abroad in the past month :| So I had to go back on a Sunday and complete the second day of the induction.

Basically I have asked to cut working 24 hours a week, down to 16. Which would be two nights a week for 8 hours. If I am able to do that, and my heels stop aching so badly during the shift. I think i'll be fine with it.

Yeah, things can never just go swiftly for me... haha

If I got this right, it's your first job. Even if you dont really enjoy it, don't focuse on that. It doesnt mean you'll have to do this your whole life, right? Take it as a challenge, for yourself, to build self confidence, meet people, and make a little money. And in the meantime, you can still take the time to figure out what you really want to do.
You'll get used to working nights, your body just needs to adapt. And you'll get used to being around other people, even if they are not your best buddies. :cheeky: Take it as a first step, not the last one.

About your heels, I know what u mean, got the same problem. Turns out it's plain stress... Buy yourself a nice comfy pair of sneakers with soles. It helped a little in my case. And relax. *hugs*

Glad things are getting better. Your night shift made me think of Michael and how he had to go to clubs until late at night and sing and then go to school the next day. Let him be your inspiration to hang in there. I know it's very hard going to work at those hours but at least you have the days off. Get some experience and it will look good on your resume to get a job with the hours you like.

Back