Justin Timberlake Will Receive MTV's Michael Jackson Video Vanguard Award

lol. absolutely NOT.

I'm sorry, but I really can't take you seriously anymore. If you want to fool yourself into believing that there is no great music being made today, then ultimately it is your loss and you're going to be the one who's going to miss out. Yeah, you have Michael Jackson but he isn't the only great musician you know.

Go back to the 80s, there would have been a number of people who would claim that great music isn't made anymore, "Remember when we had greats like The Beatles and Elvis ? Now we have strippers like Madonna and weirdos like Michael Jackson and Prince". Look at all the amazing music they missed out on. I mean no disrespect but that is pretty much how you are coming off.

You don't have to like a lot of the music today but just because you don't like something doesn't mean it isn't good. I admittedly couldn't really care for Prince's music and I've never really been into it, however he's made some pretty great music over the years and just because I'm not a fan of his work doesn't mean I won't admit it. Yes, there's a lot of crap today, but there has always been a lot of crap, no matter which decade you look at. When I refer to music today, I'm not just talking about the Top 40 either, I'm talking about all of the music produced today. The Top 40 always has, and always will, have a mixture of good songs and bad songs.

Also, just because it doesn't innovate or 'change the game' doesn't mean it isn't good either. I may get hate for this, but I'm just trying to be realistic and honest (and that's how I try and react to things on this forum). Towards the end of his career, Michael never really 'changed the game' anymore. Does that mean he didn't produce good music ? No way man ! Hell, some of his best music is towards the end of his career ! Threatened is an absolute masterpiece, probably one of my all time favourite songs by him (the things I would do to have a copy of the actual instrumental omg). However, that song didn't change the game in the slightest, it barely got any attention and you'd honestly have to search for it to find it. That's just what it is like for a lot of great music today !

I know I can't convince you or anyone else to suddenly like a lot of the music today, and that is not my intention. Basically, all I want to say is that there is still some really great music being made, and that I think it is a shame that some people straight up refuse to believe there is, especially without giving much of it a proper chance. All it really means is that they'll be missing out on some of the great pieces some really talented musicians are putting out.

That is all.

Thread is having problems updating
This is a Test post to see if it can be seen in this thread

Update: - thread is updating and post can be seen now

When it comes to current mainstream music and current acts it sucks BIG TIME. Alicia Keys may be one of the few exceptions but she isn't a current act (talking about veterany) and I agree award shows are a joke and insulting to true talented legends. Beyoncé and Kanye West having more Grammys than Michael (13) or The Rolling Stones (2 and 1 Lifetime Achievement) is a sacriledge and a slap in the face because none of them aren't nearly as talented, don't make meaning and or memorable music whatsoever.

Yes, some people like Pharrell, Bieber, Usher, Beyonce and C Brown do a brilliant job of giving credit where it's due.
Others like Timberlake just try to hide from the MJ influence. He wants to be recognised for his own talent and given full credit for what he does - he doesn't want to be thought of as a 'copy cat' - but his moral compass should guide him to giving MJ credit where it's due, but he doesn't.

JT learned many lessons from the school of Michael Jackson, but there is one lesson he missed.....
MJ trod this line many years ago. He drew on many influences including James Brown, Jackie Wilson, Fred Astaire etc and he always gave them credit, yet he was thought of as an innovator (and rightly so).

I like JT better these days but still think he's a loser for his behaviour toward MJ (and JJ too actually).

How many times does Justin have to thank MJ? Do you really want him to give a shout out to MJ in every interview, concert, award, show, etc ??
Lawdy...

How many times does Justin have to thank MJ? Do you really want him to give a shout out to MJ in every interview, concert, award, show, etc ??
Lawdy...

I get the impression he deliberately tries to distance himself from any comparisons after the criticism he received after his VMA solo debut...

What criticism was that? He doesn't need or have to thank Michael everytime or every second but I too feel like he rather not mention Michael at all.

Lawdy...

WTF are you talking about? No one (none JT fan) here said but you he has to thank Michael every time he received an award. Not thanking him or acknoledge the influence in the award it has Michael's name was rude and arrogant.

I'm sorry, but I really can't take you seriously anymore. If you want to fool yourself into believing that there is no great music being made today, then ultimately it is your loss and you're going to be the one who's going to miss out. Yeah, you have Michael Jackson but he isn't the only great musician you know.

Go back to the 80s, there would have been a number of people who would claim that great music isn't made anymore, "Remember when we had greats like The Beatles and Elvis ? Now we have strippers like Madonna and weirdos like Michael Jackson and Prince". Look at all the amazing music they missed out on. I mean no disrespect but that is pretty much how you are coming off.

You don't have to like a lot of the music today but just because you don't like something doesn't mean it isn't good. I admittedly couldn't really care for Prince's music and I've never really been into it, however he's made some pretty great music over the years and just because I'm not a fan of his work doesn't mean I won't admit it. Yes, there's a lot of crap today, but there has always been a lot of crap, no matter which decade you look at. When I refer to music today, I'm not just talking about the Top 40 either, I'm talking about all of the music produced today. The Top 40 always has, and always will, have a mixture of good songs and bad songs.

Also, just because it doesn't innovate or 'change the game' doesn't mean it isn't good either. I may get hate for this, but I'm just trying to be realistic and honest (and that's how I try and react to things on this forum). Towards the end of his career, Michael never really 'changed the game' anymore. Does that mean he didn't produce good music ? No way man ! Hell, some of his best music is towards the end of his career ! Threatened is an absolute masterpiece, probably one of my all time favourite songs by him (the things I would do to have a copy of the actual instrumental omg). However, that song didn't change the game in the slightest, it barely got any attention and you'd honestly have to search for it to find it. That's just what it is like for a lot of great music today !

I know I can't convince you or anyone else to suddenly like a lot of the music today, and that is not my intention. Basically, all I want to say is that there is still some really great music being made, and that I think it is a shame that some people straight up refuse to believe there is, especially without giving much of it a proper chance. All it really means is that they'll be missing out on some of the great pieces some really talented musicians are putting out.

That is all.

The best post of this thread!

Justin is such a fake, it's ridiculous.. Now suddenly he loves MJ..

I got this from Dri from the KOP board.. Justin recently give MJ a shout out at concert in Rio

Justin Timberlake sang "Shake Your Body" in Rock In Rio Festival(Rio de Janeiro,Brasil) last night and in the end he asked to the people: "Two fingers in the air for Michael Jackson!The King of Pop!We love you,Michael!"

Timberlake's Instagram

1fabf6881ea311e3906622000a9e03eb_7.jpg

Last edited by mjfan4life; 09-17-2013 at 05:15 AM..

Justin is such a fake, it's ridiculous.. Now suddenly he loves MJ..

I got this from Dri from the KOP board.. Justin recently give MJ a shout out at concert in Rio

Justin Timberlake sang "Shake Your Body" in Rock In Rio Festival(Rio de Janeiro,Brasil) last night and in the end he asked to the people: "Two fingers in the air for Michael Jackson!The King of Pop!We love you,Michael!"

Timberlake's Instagram

1fabf6881ea311e3906622000a9e03eb_7.jpg

Last edited by mjfan4life; 09-17-2013 at 05:15 AM..
"Suddenly loves MJ?" Excuse me? Justin's been a fan of Michael's for a long time.I don't know where you get "suddenly".Just because he doesn't talk about Michael in every interview and whatnot,doesn't mean he doesn't love and respect him.

Suddenly is right.. Justin has distanced himself from MJ for years yet his latest song sounds like a carbon copy of a song from Off the Wall or Destiny and he's suddenly singing ' Shake Your Body' at his concerts.. It's such a fraud. I hate fake people. Why wait until MJ is dead to show love, yet when he was here, he distanced himself and didn't say 'we love you' Michael did he?

It's sad that some people always have to find a negative in something positive.

People are bragging that Gaga is "thanking Michael" in every interview just to get attention, but Justin is disrespectful because he doesn't thank Michael in every interview. How's that?

i cant take you seriously since your first post.
your opinion is yours. not the general opinion. my opinion is my personal opinion. also not the general. so stop telling people what to believe to do or what they are!

there isnt any good music out there. music died in 2009. and gaga is nothing more than a gogo bar dancer. thats it.

I feel said for people who listen only to MJ and pretend to know "music". *sigh*

Dorian;3906713 said:
I feel said for people who listen only to MJ and pretend to know "music". *sigh*

What a preposterous and untrue claim. Just because many of us aren't into current acts, it doesn't mean we don't listen other solo performers, composers (Wolfgang Amadé Mozart, Ludwig van Beethoven, Achille Claude Debussy, etc) or bands besides Michael. Don't speak for everybody and just because those current acts have admirers it doesn't mean they make worthwhile music.

And about Gaga, it didn't bother me if she thanked Michael, it bothered me she brings him in every time she wants when no one asked her.

Last edited:
Gaga buys MJ's clothes, mentions him in an interview: BURN HER AT THE STAKE! SACRILEGE! SHE'S USING HIS NAME FOR ATTENTION! GTFO!

Justin doesn't thank MJ at every public forum he is at: BURN HIM AT THE STAKE! SACRILEGE! HE'S NOT USING HIS NAME FOR ATTENTION! GTFO!

^^ This basically summarizes a lot of peoples views here about these 2 people.

^^You know she hasn't mentioned just in that interview. People these days... :sigh:

I respect your opinion about you not liking Lady Gaga,but can you PLEASE stop spewing hate at her?Good God,I cannot stand it.
I see you in EVERY thread(even in non-Gaga related threads) talking smack about her.Will you stop?This thread has NOTHING to do with her.Plus,it's ironic that you spread Michael's message of love,yet spew hate about Lady Gaga.Because that totally makes sense.:smilerolleyes:

And to clarify to people who claim Justin "suddenly" started liking Michael,don't forget that they did live performances together:

^^ They performed together because N*SYNC at the time of those two performances was the biggest pop group out there, it was only logical Michael would team up with them, especially when he was about to release Invincible.. also the MTVs performance wasn't about Michael per se, he made a guest appearance and it was a surprise too, still I have nothing against J.T but he's not my fave and I wouldn't call him a full on MJ supporter, like let's say Chris Brown, who even knowing that he loves MJ, gets a lot of hate from people.... J.T getting hate like this is not abnormal tbh... not that it makes it right, but it's certainly not strange.

Last edited:
^^To neverland ranch-dressing: You're not respecting my opinion because you're telling me what to do by stopping it, you're contradicting yourself and if you don't want anybody expressing unfavaborable opinions about her or JT, you're in the wrong place.

I forgot to add, for the record, I don't hate any of them. I just can't stand them in any way. I'd hate all the people who viciously harmed Michael but not LG or JT.

But you shouldn't have to go looking for good music. You should be able to turn on the radio and here good music right away. It's sad that the music industry has become so bad that people need to look for good music themselves.
Amen to this post, very well said. There's no such thing anymore and it's very disappointing.

Snow White luvs Peter Pan;3906884 said:
What a preposterous and untrue claim. Just because many of us aren't into current acts, it doesn't mean we don't listen other solo performers, composers (Wolfgang Amadé Mozart, Ludwig van Beethoven, Achille Claude Debussy, etc) or bands besides Michael. Don't speak for everybody and just because those current acts have admirers it doesn't mean they make worthwhile music.

And about Gaga, it didn't bother me if she thanked Michael, it bothered me she brings him in every time she wants when no one asked her.

I think the keyword in that quote was "only". Personally, I agree with him. You can't listen to only Michael Jackson (and no one else at all) and claim to know 'music'. Lady Gaga has mentioned MJ a few times, understandably, but she certainly hasn't mentioned him every time (or as many times as you are implying, since I'm really hoping that is a hyperbole). I can probably only think of a few circumstances, if that, where she mentions MJ. In fact, a number of the times it's the interviewer who brings up MJ, not Gaga.

Once when she mentioned his clothes, another where she talked about his death (and I think opening for TII was in the same interview ?) and that's all I can think of off the top of my head. So let's say 4, maybe 5, times for good measure. Considering she's probably given over 100 interviews over the half-decade she's been in the industry, saying she mentions MJ a lot or "every time" is an enormous overstatement.

To be honest, I'm happy Justin got the award. He earned it. It's better him than one of these crap artists. I honestly believe there is good music out there, but you know what? It's hard to find when you have people like Nicki Minaj, Miley Cyrus, Lil Wayne, Rihanna, Ke$ha, and Drake clouding the way and corrupting people with all this talk about sex, drugs, and violence. I prefer to stay away from those artists and listen to ones who meant something. Lets be honest here, yeah, some, and I mean SOME (by that I think about 5%) artists actually talk about real stuff. You know, how to stop war, violence. Other than that, what do we have? None of this music now will EVER carry the gems that the 40's, 50's, 60's, 70's, 80's, and 90's carried. Remember the time when you had female groups/artists like the Supremes, TLC, Aaliyah and SWV? When they made hits and didn't have to be almost naked? When they didn't have to gyrate and jump up and down like they caught the Holy Ghost? They showed females that sex didn't have to make hits.

Remember when we had 2Pac? And he made Keep Ya Head Up and Changes? He cared about problems. He and Michael BOTH donated millions to children. Michael made music that wasn't about sex all the time. It wasn't about drugs and violence. And he became the greatest artist in the world.

I don't hate these new 'artists', but as a teenager I don't quite see how teaching us about having sex, sleeping around with multiple people, drinking and partying, doing drugs, and shooting people is gonna make this world better. Better yet, help us get into college.

Back