Justin Timberlake Will Receive MTV's Michael Jackson Video Vanguard Award

^PR decision, his videos don't accomplish what The Michael Jackson Video Vanguard Award means. The rest of your post I agree.

Ah, it's based on what videos accomplished? The way the news made it, it sounded like it was an award that was simply named after Michael. In this case, God knows I love Justin..but erri uh..he gets a chop from me. I still love him though. But I'm kind of disappointed in the PR. Is this what they do to acquire fame for people now a days? What ever happened to earning awards?

Ah, it's based on what videos accomplished? The way the news made it, it sounded like it was an award that was simply named after Michael. In this case, God knows I love Justin..but erri uh..he gets a chop from me. I still love him though. But I'm kind if disappointed in the PR. Is this what they do to acquire fame for people now a days? What ever happened to earning awards?

I meant his videos aren't innovative, creative or as the award says, vanguardist. They're pretty average in fact but since he's promoting a new album, I'm pretty sure it was a PR stunt.

I meant his videos aren't innovative, creative or as the award says, vanguardist. They're pretty average in fact but since he's promoting a new album, I'm pretty sure it was a PR stunt.

>>>I think everyone can see that JT hasn't been I don't know, whats the word? Creative with his videos. Suit and Tie was cool (only for the Black and White IMO) his videos aren't 'Thriller', 'Bad', and 'Leave Me Alone' material.

AtlasAir;3906887 said:
Gaga buys MJ's clothes, mentions him in an interview: BURN HER AT THE STAKE! SACRILEGE! SHE'S USING HIS NAME FOR ATTENTION! GTFO!

Justin doesn't thank MJ at every public forum he is at: BURN HIM AT THE STAKE! SACRILEGE! HE'S NOT USING HIS NAME FOR ATTENTION! GTFO!

^^ This basically summarizes a lot of peoples views here about these 2 people.
I know you’re exaggerating this on purpose, but I’d still like to point out that I think the issue for many people is that Timberlake didn’t acknowledge Michael when he recieved the Michael Jackson Video Vanguard Award. That’s not anywhere near the same thing as wanting him to thank Michael everywhere all the time. Personally, I think if you’re receiving some sort of a “Artist X Award” then it’s just good manners to say something nice about artist X.

I think I get why Timberlake might not want to bring up Michael all that often. I think he has to know that some people think of him as a second-rate MJ wannabe, and I think he would like to distance himself from that image. Still, IMO it would have been appropriate to say something about Michael when receiving this particular award. And just to be clear: no, I don’t want or expect him to praise Michael at every chance he gets. And no, I’m not frothing at the mouth with rage and yelling “sacrilege! burn him at the stake!” here, I just think it was slightly bad manners.

Snow White luvs Peter Pan;3906884 said:
What a preposterous and untrue claim. Just because many of us aren't into current acts, it doesn't mean we don't listen other solo performers, composers (Wolfgang Amadé Mozart, Ludwig van Beethoven, Achille Claude Debussy, etc) or bands besides Michael. Don't speak for everybody and just because those current acts have admirers it doesn't mean they make worthwhile music.

And about Gaga, it didn't bother me if she thanked Michael, it bothered me she brings him in every time she wants when no one asked her.

greatest post in this thread!
well said. :yes:

Uh_wtf_gif.gif

yup. and? no arguments?

To be honest, I'm happy Justin got the award. He earned it. It's better him than one of these crap artists. I honestly believe there is good music out there, but you know what? It's hard to find when you have people like Nicki Minaj, Miley Cyrus, Lil Wayne, Rihanna, Ke$ha, and Drake clouding the way and corrupting people with all this talk about sex, drugs, and violence. I prefer to stay away from those artists and listen to ones who meant something. Lets be honest here, yeah, some, and I mean SOME (by that I think about 5%) artists actually talk about real stuff. You know, how to stop war, violence. Other than that, what do we have? None of this music now will EVER carry the gems that the 40's, 50's, 60's, 70's, 80's, and 90's carried. Remember the time when you had female groups/artists like the Supremes, TLC, Aaliyah and SWV? When they made hits and didn't have to be almost naked? When they didn't have to gyrate and jump up and down like they caught the Holy Ghost? They showed females that sex didn't have to make hits.

Remember when we had 2Pac? And he made Keep Ya Head Up and Changes? He cared about problems. He and Michael BOTH donated millions to children. Michael made music that wasn't about sex all the time. It wasn't about drugs and violence. And he became the greatest artist in the world.

I don't hate these new 'artists', but as a teenager I don't quite see how teaching us about having sex, sleeping around with multiple people, drinking and partying, doing drugs, and shooting people is gonna make this world better. Better yet, help us get into college.

Yes, but most of Timberlake's songs are about sex as well. Thematically he's pretty one-dimensional. It's like he has nothing really to say.

Admin note: Please discuss this topic without personal attacks or insults toward one another. Further posts of that nature will be edited and or deleted without warning. Certainly you are free to state you disagree or state your own opinion and still be respectful to the member you are addressing. Try discussing the topic, not each other.

Why are we nit picking on every little aspect on this? He won it this year, there will be someone else in a few years.. There are not enough artists out there that would fit under the class of deserving it so most of the time we will have crap to say about it.. Someone has to win every few yeasr..

I am suprized this thread is still alive, the Vangaurd award has been around before it was called the MJ vangaurd award.. It is not an award who is as good as MJ, it just carries the name because he was the pinical of what the award stands for.. They've taken the MJ name away from it before, they could do it for good.. Lets appreciate the fact there is award alined with his name.. They've already changed the name back to the Lifetime Achievement award any time that it was "un cool" or "un safe" to put MJ's name on it, now that he passed - lets just honor the fact it has his name on it and hopefully from now on will hold it.

Plus from previous winners who really "deserved" it in our eyes? Duran Duran, Brittney Spears, Red Hot Chili Peppers, R.E.M, LL Cool J??

just don't want to make a extra thread:

Justin Timberlake, music man of 2013, is streaming his new album on iTunes. There’s a “secret” track buried at the end of the album called “If I Had a Pair of Wings.” Close your eyes: this is a Michael Jackson impersonation. Let’s call it a tribute to Jackson. The song is a ballad sung with minimal acoustic guitar and strings, and sounds very much like the King of Pop. It’s actually uncanny.

Timberlake has buried the track inside what’s marked as an 11 minute track that starts with the 5 minute long “Not Such a Bad Thing.” At first you think, oh no, an 11 minute song. But halfway through. “Not Such a Bad Thing” fades out and “Wings” launches. I wonder what Jackson fans will say.

http://www.showbiz411.com/2013/09/2...um-with-uncanny-michael-jackson-impersonation

So anyone of you heard it ???

Paris78;3908609 said:
just don't want to make a extra thread:

Justin Timberlake, music man of 2013, is streaming his new album on iTunes. There’s a “secret” track buried at the end of the album called “If I Had a Pair of Wings.” Close your eyes: this is a Michael Jackson impersonation. Let’s call it a tribute to Jackson. The song is a ballad sung with minimal acoustic guitar and strings, and sounds very much like the King of Pop. It’s actually uncanny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGdCIEWSwnI&feature=player_detailpage#t=272
Timberlake has buried the track inside what’s marked as an 11 minute track that starts with the 5 minute long “Not Such a Bad Thing.” At first you think, oh no, an 11 minute song. But halfway through. “Not Such a Bad Thing” fades out and “Wings” launches. I wonder what Jackson fans will say.

http://www.showbiz411.com/2013/09/2...um-with-uncanny-michael-jackson-impersonation

So anyone of you heard it ???

Jump to 5:25. JT's falcetto similar to MJ's in a lot of ways, but his ballad voice is much more breathy (contrast w/ MJ's sharpness). Nice song, but "uncanny"? Not to my ears, at least.

Uncanny? Roger and his ears... The same ears which told him "Michael" was a great album - better than Invincible. LOL.

Here it is (at about 5:30). Yeah, Roger, we couldn't tell his vocals apart from MJ's. LOL. Roger should stick to gossip instead of music criticism.

It's sad that some people always have to find a negative in something positive.

Welcome to the MJ family, sometimes people are so hypocrite, especially in the MJ world.
I mean, hating 'fake' people but then again watching MJ performing MITM, that's some crazy shit you know.
I didn't really like the music of Justin Timberlake before, but I guess he does a great job in the current music industry.
And he deserves the award in my opinion.

Oh and the music didn't 'die' in 2009, MJ died.
Music is all about taste and if someone like Folk Rock/Indie like Mumford and Sons, then the music is actually very much alive.

Re: Justin Timberlake Will Receive Michael Jackson Video Vanguard Award \ Read More About MJ & The A

Are they serious? I think Lady gaga deserve this more than JT.

You must be joking. o_o

Music is all about taste and if someone like Folk Rock/Indie like Mumford and Sons, then the music is actually very much alive.

True, but most people only know mainstream music, and mainstream/pop is definitely pretty much dead.

They aren't joking.
Lady Gagas videos are infinitely better than Justins. She's one of the few mainstream pop artists who consistantly puts out amazing videos. Justins are just kinda bla. Not terrible.

But it's already been established in this thread that the MTV VMA's in general aren't really about the actual music video, but more so the pop culture status of an artist.

And that's not hating on JT. He's great. It's just for the award he received, there are a lot of others artists out there who deserve it.
Bjork is someone who instnatly comes to mind.

The reason why MTV hasn't given her this award? She's not a big mainstream act.

Slightly off topic, but I saw Bjork live in Detroit for her 2008 Volta tour (3rd row).
UH MAZING!!!
I missed her current tour, though. Couldn't make it out to Cali this year or NY last year :(

the MJ Vandaurd award is a LIFETIME achievement award.. In all do respect to Gaga and gaga fans but she has a good amount of time and success to put in before she should recieve it..

Even if she was biggest artist right now (which she really isnt) she still should not recieve it, she's been on the scene for only 5 years.. Justins solo work alone started 11 years ago and 16 years considering his Nsync days.

Im not saying who deserves it, but a lifetime achievement in my opinion should come with at least a decade of success in my opinion.

Mumford, really? ha

Like I said before, it's all about taste.
Someone says the music has died in 2009, someone says the music has died in 1977 and someone says like Don Maclean that the music died in 1959, hell MJ was only 1 years old, but yeah Buddy Holly was really important for the music that age I guess. So it's all about your personal music taste.

For me music never dies, if the artist put his soul in to the music, then I think it will never die.
But for people who are fan about someone, they think that someone revolutionized the current music scene, and yeah I agree, I think MJ changed the music forever. But I think there are more important musicians that changed the music in a good way. Some of them we will never really hear about and some we will hear about and will be remembered forever like MJ. But I think alot of artists keeps the music alive, not necessary the mainstream, but also the underground. I just don't like the fact that people keeps comparing to MJ. MJ had the right moment, the right voice, the right moves, the right feeling, he was at the moment someone could change music and so MJ did. But if he wasn't born on '58 but 20 years later, he probably couldn't revolutionize the music scene, because it wouldn't be the right time. Or someone already did what MJ had done.

So I think we have to give new artists the chance they need, just like MJ had that chance.
And give them space and not really harsh about them, look the situation in different perspectives.
And finally give them the right moment so music can 'live' again ;)

Like I said before, it's all about taste.
Someone says the music has died in 2009, someone says the music has died in 1977 and someone says like Don Maclean that the music died in 1959, hell MJ was only 1 years old, but yeah Buddy Holly was really important for the music that age I guess. So it's all about your personal music taste.

For me music never dies, if the artist put his soul in to the music, then I think it will never die.
But for people who are fan about someone, they think that someone revolutionized the current music scene, and yeah I agree, I think MJ changed the music forever. But I think there are more important musicians that changed the music in a good way. Some of them we will never really hear about and some we will hear about and will be remembered forever like MJ. But I think alot of artists keeps the music alive, not necessary the mainstream, but also the underground. I just don't like the fact that people keeps comparing to MJ. MJ had the right moment, the right voice, the right moves, the right feeling, he was at the moment someone could change music and so MJ did. But if he wasn't born on '58 but 20 years later, he probably couldn't revolutionize the music scene, because it wouldn't be the right time. Or someone already did what MJ had done.

So I think we have to give new artists the chance they need, just like MJ had that chance.
And give them space and not really harsh about them, look the situation in different perspectives.
And finally give them the right moment so music can 'live' again ;)

Music isn't dead. Although I think there was a definite dip in quality in the last few years, things are really starting to pick up again. The difference perhaps between then and now though is that the artists who are really moving things forward these days are not in the mainstream.

I think you maybe trivialise Michael's gifts too much with suggesting it was all, or mostly, timing.

And Mumford are painfully overrated. Talented boys of course but I'd never refer to them as an indication of how alive and well music is.

Music isn't dead. Although I think there was a definite dip in quality in the last few years, things are really starting to pick up again. The difference perhaps between then and now though is that the artists who are really moving things forward these days are not in the mainstream.

I think you maybe trivialise Michael's gifts too much with suggesting it was all, or mostly, timing.

And Mumford are painfully overrated. Talented boys of course but I'd never refer to them as an indication of how alive and well music is.

Interesting opinion.
Yes I agree the music has been in a very deep dip and this dip was already going on when MJ was still alive.
Shame he never released new material to let the music climb out of the dip. (reasons are obvious, trials etc so I don't blame MJ)
I think you are right; mainstream has always been there to enjoy a large crowd and so music can get f**cked up.
Especially cause it's all big money nowadays.

About the timing; I think MJ was at the right moment, expanding and using his talents to impress the world and change alot in music business.
Everything is related to timing, nevertheless I think MJ was a pure genius and that's why I became a fan. Though I like to put it in other perspectives, just so I can communicate properly with other not-fans and don't have much argue etc.

Mumford was just an example, cause they reach thousands of people who think their music is very much alive.
So that's just another example of taste.
I could also say Paul Mccartney, but he isn't so much mainstream anymore.
Btw, his new single 'New' has really The Beatles sound and I can't wait for his new album. (my 2 cents haha)

Welcome to the MJ family, sometimes people are so hypocrite, especially in the MJ world.
I mean, hating 'fake' people but then again watching MJ performing MITM, that's some crazy shit you know.
I didn't really like the music of Justin Timberlake before, but I guess he does a great job in the current music industry.
And he deserves the award in my opinion.

angfw5.gif

Excuse me, but..thinking that JT didn't deserve the award is being a hypocrite? Thinking music died when MJ did is being a hypocrite? Thinking Lady Gaga sucks is being a hypocrite? So let me guess, if I say good female rapping died with Lisa 'Left Eye' Lopes that'd be hypocritical? Last time I checked those were these little things called opinions. And, I don't know if you know what the Michael Jackson Video Vanguard Award is, but, it's "an award given to an artist who has made a profound effect on MTV culture." When exactly did Justin do that? I find it quite ironic that artists who deserved it (Aaliyah, TLC, Tupac, Biggie and Nirvana to name a few) didn't get it.

I just wanna know how MTV is gonna give out this award if they haven't played a music video in like 12 years.

*sarcasm* They should give the award to the girls of Teen Mom, or the Cast of Jersey Shore.

Not sure what the hate is with Justin Timberlake. I agree he should have said something about Michael when he got that award. I also feel like he should say that MJ influenced him directly. I think he tries to be his own artist though. At least he's not saying he's better or anything like this. Also found this clip of JT talking about Michael after he passed. I find it to be a great listen.

He supposedly tries to distance himself from Michael to avoid the comparison but his first, latest records and some choreografies on his videos and live performances scream aloud Michael Jackson wannabe, his attitude on that matter is ridiculous. And the fact you don't like JT or any other current act in today's music doesn't make you hater or hypocrite; if you wanted them dead I'd agree, otherwise it's a preposterous assumption. It's simply NO ONE can have the same likes and dislikes.

Beautiful, meaningful music died on that horrible date in 2009.

angfw5.gif

Excuse me, but..thinking that JT didn't deserve the award is being a hypocrite? Thinking music died when MJ did is being a hypocrite? Thinking Lady Gaga sucks is being a hypocrite? So let me guess, if I say good female rapping died with Lisa 'Left Eye' Lopes that'd be hypocritical? Last time I checked those were these little things called opinions. And, I don't know if you know what the Michael Jackson Video Vanguard Award is, but, it's "an award given to an artist who has made a profound effect on MTV culture." When exactly did Justin do that? I find it quite ironic that artists who deserved it (Aaliyah, TLC, Tupac, Biggie and Nirvana to name a few) didn't get it.

I just wanna know how MTV is gonna give out this award if they haven't played a music video in like 12 years.

*sarcasm* They should give the award to the girls of Teen Mom, or the Cast of Jersey Shore.

You obviously didn't understand my comment.
I never said that you would be hypocrite if you would disagree with the fact that JT deserved the award.

I said; it's hypocrite to hate 'fake' people (which in my opinion JT is not, MJ is an inspiration for him) and then sing along HTW and MITM and all of those songs, you know the message MJ carried. To not hate people, does it ring a bell? That's what I said.

Oh and I never said and implied that you would be a hypocrite if you think that music died in 2009.
Just read the following line please in my post you quoted; it's all about taste.

Back