Lets Discuss BAD concerts footage and what may have been shot on film ?

We are not little kids, to tell us everytime to stay on topic. Thats not necessary.

Re: Lets investigate what BAD concerts may have been shot on film ?

^^Whoa there! It shouldn't have to be necessary, yet Qbee still had to say it. The point of having a thread with a topic is so that people know where to post. When a thread is about one topic and it spirals off too much, it needs to be reeled back in. Someone who is interested in collectibles, would probably not look in this thread specifically and would miss all of the good insight you guys are having here. That is why qbee gave the link for you guys to talk about it in that thread.

No need to be so touchy. Qbee works hard for the board. No one is trying to treat people like children.

Well this is what I think MAY have happened to film being missing....After they were recorded maybe MJ gave the film to people recording (as a gift) OR The company decided they deserved this film footage without asking Michael. Could this be possible?

It truly looks like there film-footage has been found at least by Spike Lee for his thing.

Here is Another Part of Me clip from Spike Lee'd documentary:

Not all of that was in original music video. They must have some film footage.

Maybe they cut together a new mix using film footage shot for the music video.

It could also possibly be an alternate version from 1988 that wasn't used.

It truly looks like there film-footage has been found at least by Spike Lee for his thing. Take a look at the VOX-Trailer, just press the red frame in the middle of the page and look at the video, also at some making-of footage ;) so excited...

http://www.vox.de/cms/sendungen/dokumentationen-und-reportagen/michael-jackson-25-jahre-bad.html
I watched the whole documentary in Toronto premier.....
REHEARSAL 1988 footage was on film
APOM alternate mix - film (includes footage from USA)
Alternate/unseen footage from BAD/TWYMMF on film
BAD Tour MSG 1988 - Tatiana kiss was In very HQ U-Matic quality (like Dirty diana MSG)
You will be PLEASED with the amount of film footage they used.

It would be great to see USA leg concert released. There are few clips from some USA concert there. I hope they find those film reels. Any Bad Tour 2nd leg concert on blu-ray and in movie theaters would the best thing ever!

It would be great to see USA leg concert released. There are few clips from some USA concert there. I hope they find those film reels. Any Bad Tour 2nd leg concert on blu-ray and in movie theaters would the best thing ever!

If you watch this trailer (which unfortunately was sqeezed to 4:3) at 0:05 you can see the snippet of american leg from BWT. Keeping in mind that the official broadcast of this trailer was in 16:9 they must have used a film reels with this show!

I'd also love them to release MJ music videos in 16:9 on blu-ray! As much as they can! Can't get why they didn't do it on Vision DVD...

Last edited:

the trailer is not cropped, but re-encoded wrong. as you can see the picture is squeezed.
these two frames indicate its film source, but when its broadcasted we can tell for sure.

38b6e22087.png

22161ea208.png

Last edited:

It was neat to see that shot of him silhouetted in front of the light display turn his head in real time, as opposed to the slow-mo shot that we've seen before.

I'm wondering of Spike got a hold of various film reels of Another Part Of Me (source material) and they made a new edit of the song for the sake of this project (because maybe a final FILM copy doesn't exist of the music video, as the music video was made for tape, even if it was shot on film).

Though, with that logic, you'd expect them to do the same for MITM at the end (which I read is just the Wembley performance from the DVD).
Would have been great if they got a hold of the blue shirt footage shot for Moonwalker (or hell, even the Bad jacket performance from Moonwalker).
That shit was shot on film! Anyone think maybe Warner Bros. has those spare film reel scraps lying around of, or would the estate/Nocturne have those?

Thanksgiving can't come fast enough!!

It was neat to see that shot of him silhouetted in front of the light display turn his head in real time, as opposed to the slow-mo shot that we've seen before.

I'm wondering of Spike got a hold of various film reels of Another Part Of Me (source material) and they made a new edit of the song for the sake of this project (because maybe a final FILM copy doesn't exist of the music video, as the music video was made for tape, even if it was shot on film).

Though, with that logic, you'd expect them to do the same for MITM at the end (which I read is just the Wembley performance from the DVD).
Would have been great if they got a hold of the blue shirt footage shot for Moonwalker (or hell, even the Bad jacket performance from Moonwalker).
That shit was shot on film! Anyone think maybe Warner Bros. has those spare film reel scraps lying around of, or would the estate/Nocturne have those?

Thanksgiving can't come fast enough!!
Yes, Spike Lee had total access to MJ's archives and he made the APOM alternate mix from film...

Yes, Spike Lee had total access to MJ's archives and he made the APOM alternate mix from film...

Does that mean that all shows that are included in this alternate mix were shot on film and they're available for the Estate?

I think since it was planed APOM to be released as a single, they filmed few performances of US and Europe of Apom and decided later which are better for use. And europes performances are with more energy, so thats what was used in the official video. So that doesnt mean the whole shows are filmed.
Usually test filmings are done of few songs, before full show its filmed.
In Mitm are shots of other songs too, that are problably from these test shootings.

If they only have many Another Part of Me and Man in the Mirror performances on film and nothing else, they should release full not edited versions as bonus on some release. I want to see full Bad Tour performances in great quality. I hope they have full concerts on film.

Last edited:

I just wanted to say, which I never got around to saying in my previous post.

Is that film runs out quite quickly. Meaning the camera operators would have to change the film canisters quite often for an entire 2 hour+ concert. If we have multiple film cameras shooting a concert at multiple angles, that is a lot of film! And a lot of canisters!

I don't know how many of you know TV or movie production, but the clapperboard is used to sync audio with the film. They will say something like, "Scene X, Take 1, Camera A, B, C, X, Common Mark", and then clap the board. The clap visually on the film, and the sound on the audio, is used to sync the audio with the film. Which means they would need to sync the audio with the film every time film is changed or the camera is started and stopped.

Of course there is certain film that allows sound to be shot and recorded on it. Of course it is more expensive and usually the audio is not as great as if you were to record it separately. This type of film would certainly make it easier in a concert type setting.

Today, when we shoot digitally, we still use clapperboards, but we are able to match based on timecode.

I don't know, just some thoughts...

Last edited:

Is there full Another Part Of Me in the documentary?

YES ! :) Imagine APOM in THAT quality with Surround sound. Plus I don't think they used July 16 audio...It was probably july 15.
I watched the full APOM Montage in that beautiful qaulity on the big screen. Thats why I am waiting for the doc to come on TV then Online so we can rip APOM performance.....

It doesn't NEED to be a clapperboard. It can be anything. Another audio or even a visual cue. It's all doable.
There have been concerts shot on film before.
But I'd be fine with a tape-shot production the way Yokohama was done, too.

It doesn't NEED to be a clapperboard. It can be anything. Another audio or even a visual cue. It's all doable.
There have been concerts shot on film before.
But I'd be fine with a tape-shot production the way Yokohama was done, too.

You have a valid point. It is all doable.

It is easier to say many times, than actually do. I have seen people try to match audio and film from separate sources, and it is a lot more difficult than it seems.

If we have an entire MJ concert shot on film, multiple film reels, with separate multitrack audio recordings. Putting all of that together would be a colossal amount of work without some kind of visual and audio sync marker. One of the main issues, would be the many reels of film.

Like I said before, film runs out quickly, fast. You can use it up in a concert setting super fast. So, lets just focus on one single camera, most likely there were more than one. That one camera would have to change film canisters a few times throughout the concert. And it is the audio and visual syncing between all of this film that I see as an issue. Throw in a few more film cameras and it becomes a large issue. And this syncing has to be visual and audio at the same time or you will be off ever so slightly.

Lets also throw in the business of Michael Jackson. The Estate is basically a business. They want to make money for the beneficiaries. As any company or business would decide, they ask themselves, am I going to make money on the products that I sell. How large are my margins going to be. Am I going to get a return on the money put into producing the product and hopefully make a profit.

Again, just some more thoughts...

You have a valid point. It is all doable.

It is easier to say many times, than actually do. I have seen people try to match audio and film from separate sources, and it is a lot more difficult than it seems.

If we have an entire MJ concert shot on film, multiple film reels, with separate multitrack audio recordings. Putting all of that together would be a colossal amount of work without some kind of visual and audio sync marker. One of the main issues, would be the many reels of film.

Professionals know how to do it. For example many Queen concert releases that have been shot on film. One just recently. Editing film material is not problem for big company.

Clip of Another Part of Me performance from Spike Lee's documentary:

Clip of Another Part of Me performance from Spike Lee's documentary:

That looks great! Not to be negative or anything but the people that edited this didnt do a very good job. Judging from this clip it looks like they just copy/pasted segments into random parts of the song. Other than that i can't wait for The Documentary :)

Btw i don't know how many concerts were filmed in film in US, but is it safe to assume that the one included in The Alternate APOM is from the same concert that we got MITM (Black Jacket) in Moonwalker?

That looks great! Not to be negative or anything but the people that edited this didnt do a very good job. Judging from this clip it looks like they just copy/pasted segments into random parts of the song. Other than that i can't wait for The Documentary :)

Agree. But it is still an MJ HD footage :punk: This is quite a rarity in MJ world.

Professionals know how to do it. For example many Queen concert releases that have been shot on film. One just recently. Editing film material is not problem for big company.

Just 2. 1st one is Live in Montreal 1981, released in 2007.
The recent one. Live in Budapest 1986 aka Hungarian Rhapsody. Just premiered yet on cinemas, not really released on blu-rays yet. Also Queen didn't even edit it. All they did edit together was short 30 minutes mini-documentary about their way from 1985 till the tour, but this doesn't count anyway. So, the live in Budapest concert film was hungarian film. Edited back in 1986 by hungarians, doing many cuts, for example, cut verse from CLTCL, cut out AOBTD and impromptu and many other small cuts. Unfortunately, that cut, unused footage is lost or destroyed, most likely destroyed. That film was edited back then on one film reel and that's all that Queen has. Queen didn't mix or edit anthing, just did the HD transfer and enhance it a bit.

(just to add more info)

Screens (1920 x 1080) from mp4-compressed file, but not cropped and re-cropped (different source than "BADTourHD"):
(click to enlarge)

^ Terribly compressed. But thanks anyway.

If there isn't one complete show recorded on film I won't mind, as long as there is enough from throughout the whole tour to piece together a full concert. Put together with the behind the scenes stuff that was shot and you've got quite a spectacular package.

Back