Lets Discuss BAD concerts footage and what may have been shot on film ?

Re: Wembley DVD Critique /Quality and other prefered concerts over Wembley go here

Srsly, I want to believe there is an entire show out there on film, but the MITM and APOM were obviously given special treatment. The close ups and all that were planned and orchestrated in a different way than a traditional concert film would have been filmed (and over the course of X amount of shows).

I just think it's odd they didn't film a show the way they filmed Yokohama with more cameras and what-not.

But surely there's enough film scattered around (even if it's various companies n stuff) to make something (ala This Is It type editing).

And just HOW much better was MJ's voice on the 16h compared to the 15th?
It almost seems the major reason they chose that show was because Diana was there.
The reality is that they could have just branded it LIVE AT WEMBLEY and just mentioned that she was at one of the 7 shows, and use the video from the 15th (or both).

Don't get me wrong. I still like the DVD we got.

Re: Wembley DVD Critique /Quality and other prefered concerts over Wembley go here

05.jpg

These TWYMMF shots were labeled as being from Wembley on the site. The one during SOOML with the girl is from Marbella, Spain according to someone who posted a comment on the pic, who also gave the information that the girl is Julio Iglesias' daughter, Chabeli. The others had no dates.

It's quite interesting if that really is a film camera shooting SOOML, as we haven't seen any film of that performance and there was no need for it for a music video or for Moonwalker.

05.jpg

These TWYMMF shots were labeled as being from Wembley on the site. The one during SOOML with the girl is from Marbella, Spain according to someone who posted a comment on the pic, who also gave the information that the girl is Julio Iglesias' daughter, Chabeli. The others had no dates.

It's quite interesting if that really is a film camera shooting SOOML, as we haven't seen any film of that performance and there was no need for it for a music video or for Moonwalker.

I think they filmed full concerts. There is also a little clip from I'll Be There performance in Moonwalker MITM

vlcsnap-2012-09-28-18h46m11s132.png

Could have just been the guy in charge of capturing crowd shots.
Of course, why not use a crowd shot from that angle during MITM, but who knows.

I have also gone briefly through the photos I own of the Hockenheim, Germany, concert:

This guy appears throughout the show in front of Michael; this is one of the clearer pics. Film camera?

I have also gone briefly through the photos I own of the Hockenheim, Germany, concert:

This guy appears throughout the show in front of Michael; this is one of the clearer pics. Film camera?

No, that's a video camera. From what I've seen, there was only one person walking around the front of the stage shooting video for the jumbo-tron. Same as July 16 at Wembley. If you ever see 2 people, there is a good chance one of them is shooting film.

Brisbane Film Camera?

Wildstyle, I saw the same film camera in Japan footage.

Very good! I like the detective work around here haha. Keep it up guys :)

I've just watched Rome show and this is what I found:

2iig45h.jpg

2n6aps2.jpg

245k9x0.jpg

This appears to be a jumbotron camera... But what about this?

rrpgt1.jpg

Also from Brisbane... This looks like film camera too but you gotta watch the video to see it properly :)

2mn0hlc.jpg

Yokohama seems to be recorded on film as well :)

2s1nmnp.jpg

3516f5y.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Lets investigate what BAD concerts may have been shot on film ?

Mod note
This is a new thread created fromt he DVD quality discussion thread. Posts were moved here So you can continue discussing what concerts that may have been filmed and posting pics finding Cameras in the footage.

If you all want to know if there were film cameras at a show or whether they were shooting for tv look in one unlikely place.... The Audience!! If the audience is lit with show lighting then they are likely shooting with intentions well beyond the jumbotrons footage. For purposes like a film concert or footage for a video like APOM the audience become extras that need to be seen and the only way they can be seen is if they are lit. If you notice in a lot of concerts only Michael is lit on the stage and you can barely even see the audience like the released New York performance of Dirty Diana, but for the show in Brisbane the audience is lit up and I suspect there are film cameras there. In all of the MITM footage the audience is clearly lit. See, we're are looking for the obvious ( the cameras) which is difficult but there are other indicators I think we should look for.

Last edited:

How many Wembley shows were recorded with the 6 track audio? Because you would think that if they filmed any shows at Wembley it would be ones that had the high quality audio recorded also. Just a thought.
However no one seems to have spotted a film camera on the dvd of the 16th have they?

If you all want to know if there were film cameras at a show or whether they were shooting for tv look in one unlikely place.... The Audience!! If the audience is lit with show lighting then they are likely shooting with intentions well beyond the jumbotrons footage. For purposes like a film concert or footage for a video like APOM the audience become extras that need to be seen and the only way they can be seen is if they are lit. If you notice in a lot of concerts only Michael is lit on the stage and you can barely even see the audience like the released New York performance of Dirty Diana, but for the show in Brisbane the audience is lit up and I suspect there are film cameras there. In all of the MITM footage the audience is clearly lit. See, we're are looking for the obvious ( the cameras) which is difficult but there are other indicators I think we should look for.
Yes, that could be another indicator. But they could still film with the audience in the dark also. It depends on the situation and maybe even the song being performed. But yes, that's another possibility.

Yes, and no.
The crowd shots for APOM video could have been taken at any point during the first few songs of the show(s).
The sun was also still out at that time, so that solves the lighting problem. If nothing else, maybe the cameras had a light shining too, but in these cases it all appears it was simply in day light.

If they have any Bad Tour 2nd leg concert on film they should release it.

It is quite obvious from the images in this thread that at least some concerts were shot on film. Of course after 25 years maybe the original film canisters with the film cannot be located. The MJ Estate did say they could not find the U-matic tapes from July 16.

Another possibility is that after all these years the film has degraded and become brittle, making it not suitable for scanning to digitize it. Who knows where this film was stored and in what conditions, climate controlled, etc. Cellulose acetate/Cellulose triacetate film is sensitive to degradation and must be stored properly.

Maybe they did not shoot July 16 on film. Since July 16 was attended by Princess Diana, that fact provides better marketing for this particular concert then another 2nd leg concert shot on film not attended by Princess Diana. So The Estate chose to release July 16 sourced from the VHS.

I'm in favor of official releases of as many concerts as possible from all tours.

Last edited:

I hope many concert will be found on 35mm tapes - and then released on Blu-Ray !

Based on the current success of the Wembley DVD I hope it spurs the Estate to think about attempting to locate 35mm Film of one of the concerts or if they arent in good enough condition i.e scratches, dust and so on.
Maybe think about putting up a test trailer from the footage off the Umatic tapes they have found as they are soundwise and put and voting poll if you think its good enough quality vote for it and if it gets over a certain number of votes they release it wishfull thinking I know but its an idea.

Its not because I'm ungrateful that went to the trouble of remastering the Wembley VHS I love it its my favourite live DVD not just of Michael's but across the board........I just want to see more of him live form that era

It's very hard to find out which shows were recorded on film so the best way would be asking The Estate what they own right now and what they think they're able to find. Not only from Bad Tour but Dangerous and HIStory Tours as well. Though, I think we can't count on another live show release in close future. They released Wembley '88, it's very successful - that's true, but I don't think they'll come up with something new for some time. Let's use this time in the best possible way and together, with The Estate, investigate what is reachable to release in the future and maybe what we would love to be released :) We got to help them as much as we can but not with another 'Tour Release Campaign'. If they really read what we're writing at MJJC, let's create a new thread where we will discuss the subject. Maybe our mods are able to get in touch with The Estate so they can ask for releasing the list of the shows they have at the moment with the info on how and on what it was recorded :)

I think that the best possibilty of the future release would be a box with a total amout of 5 shows chosen from 3 World Tours :)

For everybody wanting multiple concert releases, I encourage you to look at the thread I've linked in my sig.

I agree we should definitely ask the estate what they have and the condition its in from all of MJ's live performances. Is there a way though?

First of all, i think asking for list of avaible material is rude and not appropriate.

And second, release of box with multiple shows is nice, but it wont sell cause it would be expensive.And i can imagine how the reactions will be, of some here, if it doent hit no1 and didnt sell 1mill in the third day.

First of all, i think asking for list of avaible material is rude and not appropriate.

And second, release of box with multiple shows is nice, but it wont sell cause it would be expensive.And i can imagine how the reactions will be, of some here, if it doent hit no1 and didnt sell 1mill in the third day.

Which is why everybody should look at the link in my sig.:eek:n_the_sly:

A collectors label! Just like Elvis. Not only concerts, but rehearsals, and anything else your brain could imagine. For real though, check the link and vote :)

Yours is an interesting idea also. Personally, the collector in me prefers physical releases with themes and artwork. Plus the idea of releasing things gradually to keep the core fan base active.

yeah, exactly! People vote for it ! maybe we can make it happen ;)
Anyway, I think lom kit's idea would be easier from the estate's point of view, although i'd prefer the one with the 'physhical' material..

Back