Lets Discuss BAD concerts footage and what may have been shot on film ?

Re: Lets investigate what BAD concerts may have been shot on film ?

Crowd shots really annoy me. Having them in-between songs is fine but on the Bucharest DVD it always annoyed me when Michael was about to do an awesome dance move and it cuts to come fan screaming in the crowd.

What i'd like is to see a full Bad Tour concert, but with more footage than what was shown on the Jumbotron. The jumbotron footage is for people in the crowd to see what's going on on stage. The problem with that for us is that we don't get many camera angles, and very few shots of the crowd.

That is one thing that is lacking from the Wembley DVD, as much as I love it. For example, at the start of WBSS when the drums kick in - the crowd must have been going crazy, 72,000 people jumping up and down. We didn't see any of that. Likewise, during the end of MITM the whole crowd must have been clapping their hands above their heads, but we didn't see it. To get the full energy of the show you need some crowd shots. With purely jumbotron footage you don't get that. At least with the VHS of the shows you don't. If we get the film negatives than the video footage can be mixed differently to included crowd shots etc that weren't shown on the big screen on the day.

I agree but there shouldn't be as much crowd shots like in Bucharest dvd. That is way too much. Please Estate do everything you can to find the film reels. Audio doesn't have to be multitracks.

These are the exact FILM cameras used to film the Bad Tour per the email I got from the Film director of the tour Mr. Pecchi.

Mr. Pecchi is the director that Michael Jackson wrote the letter to explaining to how vitally important it was for him to capture the performances in the best way. He says they filmed entire concerts during that tour so here its is straight from the director in charge of capturing the Bad Tour on Film. I just hope they find this footage because as Much as i love the DVD we got, it's so hard to watch after seeing the Blu Ray footage of Man In The Mirror. It is simply amazing, so The Estate just has to find that footage! Maybe some of this footage will be included in the Bad 25 Blu Ray!

Here is his email from him. I asked if they every filmed entire shows and whether an entire Wembley show was captured on Film. His response:

Kerry, hello.

We started out in Tokyo with 1 beta cam and soon purchased a 35mm BL 4 and a 16mm camera. Eventually our crew grew to 5 and we shot miles of color neg at shows in Tokyo and Osaka. Moved on to Australia and more shows. I was his DP/director until we came back to the US to regroup for Europe. Several changes happened and I quit the show. A few of our original crew continued, but I departed.

Miles of 35 neg, shows, interviews, moments with MJ, some great stuff. I Have no idea where the footage is now. Rather certain entire UK show was filmed.
Later..bp

url-2_zpsb8be39c7.jpeg

url-1_zps1fa63bb5.jpeg

Thank you! How did you find out his email adress? We should also try to email other people involved in filming of Bad Tour :)

These are the exact FILM cameras used to film the Bad Tour per the email I got from the Film director of the tour Mr. Pecchi.

Mr. Pecchi is the director that Michael Jackson wrote the letter to explaining to how vitally important it was for him to capture the performances in the best way. He says they filmed entire concerts during that tour so here its is straight from the director in charge of capturing the Bad Tour on Film. I just hope they find this footage because as Much as i love the DVD we got, it's so hard to watch after seeing the Blu Ray footage of Man In The Mirror. It is simply amazing, so The Estate just has to find that footage! Maybe some of this footage will be included in the Bad 25 Blu Ray!

Here is his email from him. I asked if they every filmed entire shows and whether an entire Wembley show was captured on Film. His response:

Kerry, hello.

We started out in Tokyo with 1 beta cam and soon purchased a 35mm BL 4 and a 16mm camera. Eventually our crew grew to 5 and we shot miles of color neg at shows in Tokyo and Osaka. Moved on to Australia and more shows. I was his DP/director until we came back to the US to regroup for Europe. Several changes happened and I quit the show. A few of our original crew continued, but I departed.

Miles of 35 neg, shows, interviews, moments with MJ, some great stuff. I Have no idea where the footage is now. Rather certain entire UK show was filmed.
Later..bp

url-2_zpsb8be39c7.jpeg

url-1_zps1fa63bb5.jpeg

wow, so great to hear this :) could you pm me his email? wanna ask him for more specific details on this, thanks so much :)

Regarding crowd shots. Please not this.

vlcsnap2012042714h47m25.png

vlcsnap2012042714h45m44.png

vlcsnap2012042714h45m09.png

THIS is the way to go

vlcsnap2012042714h50m59.png

vlcsnap2012042714h52m23.png

vlcsnap2012042715h39m04.png

vlcsnap2012042715h40m02.png

vlcsnap2013011322h42m31.png

vlcsnap2013011322h47m17.png

I actually like to see people fainting. lol But only between songs, not while Michael is doing some amazing dance moves...

Michael liked the crowd shots. And had a camera man specifically to capture that. He thought it added to the over all excitement of the concert experience. I do as well, I like to see the reaction of the fans, but I will say some were over done with too many crowd shots. I like them but kept at a minimum.

movied to Michaelmania at members request

Film reels exist, i know they do. either the estate are keeping these films until dvd completely goes out of fashion and they release blu-rays to not lose everything they have in 4 years, or sony has access to these films somewhere and are refusing to release them. either way, from 2015 i expect nothing less than blu-ray. i want liverpool aintree 1988 september 11th blu-ray and cinema release, Dangerous Tour 1992 & 1993 Blu-ray film release and the best show from the HIStory Tour.

Film reels exist, i know they do. either the estate are keeping these films until dvd completely goes out of fashion and they release blu-rays to not lose everything they have in 4 years, or sony has access to these films somewhere and are refusing to release them. either way, from 2015 i expect nothing less than blu-ray. i want liverpool aintree 1988 september 11th blu-ray and cinema release, Dangerous Tour 1992 & 1993 Blu-ray film release and the best show from the HIStory Tour.

Zakk, yes, 'some' film reels exist, but not nearly as many as you would like to believe. Aintree was shot on film but apparently the results were very disappointing due to weather, camera positions and apparently some poor person getting serious emergency medical treatment at the foot of the stage for the first few songs - this is how Aintree was described to me by the film production manager (who worked for Patrick Kelly) who I spoke to several times. Notwithstanding this,she admits that it is indeed possible her memory is hazy after so many years.

Wembley was NOT shot in entirety on film.

Sony never ever had of the PK film in their archives.

patrick Kelly turned over all the bad tour materials to MJ vaults at the end of the bad tour where they remain however they were not identified nor catalogued until last year. Patrick has retired and wishes to have nothing to do with the entertainment industry. Tracking him down and persuading him to speak was almost surreal in difficulty.

Nvertheless, given the materials that were to hand, the overall quality of BAD25 leaves much to be desired.

The re-edit of Another Part of Me???? The sync is just awful, appalling amateurish slapdash poorest quality work.

...and don't get me started on the 5.1 or stereo mixes....

Michael never in his life released anything less than superb work of the highest artistic AND technical quality. Work that stands the test of time as a touchstone of integrity.

The problem however is that given the mediocre sales of 'Michael' and given the unbelievably terrible sales of BAD 25 it's more likely that hell will freeze over before another Bad era concert is released.

Zakk, yes, 'some' film reels exist, but not nearly as many as you would like to believe. Aintree was shot on film but apparently the results were very disappointing due to weather, camera positions and apparently some poor person getting serious emergency medical treatment at the foot of the stage for the first few songs - this is how Aintree was described to me by the film production manager (who worked for Patrick Kelly) who I spoke to several times. Notwithstanding this,she admits that it is indeed possible her memory is hazy after so many years.

patrick Kelly turned over all the bad tour materials to MJ vaults at the end of the bad tour where they remain however they were not identified nor catalogued until last year. Patrick has retired and wishes to have nothing to do with the entertainment industry. Tracking him down and persuading him to speak was almost surreal in difficulty.

Nvertheless, given the materials that were to hand, the overall quality of BAD25 leaves much to be desired.

The re-edit of Another Part of Me???? The sync is just awful, appalling amateurish slapdash poorest quality work.

Michael never in his life released anything less than superb work of the highest artistic AND technical quality. Work that stands the test of time as a touchstone of integrity.

The problem however is that given the mediocre sales of 'Michael' and given the unbelievably terrible sales of BAD 25 it's more likely that hell will freeze over before another Bad era concert is released.

That's just sad.

Go Flying it's great to have you back... miss your post.

Did you see the post from Mr. Pecchi the first the director for the first leg of the tour? He said miles and miles of footage of the bad tour was captured included entires shows. He said he was staffed with 5 cameramen to shot the shows including interviews and behind the scene footage. He said he believed at least one of the UK shows was shot in full. Mr. Pechhi is the second person who worked directly with the film who said the shot loads of footage. Anything to add from this?

So you weren't given the opportunity to edit the audio for the DVD. I thought the person who did was you. Also, do you understand why the camera crew weren't given any credit in the DVD?

Thanks again for all the info you've shared.

Go Flying it's great to have you back... miss your post.

Thanks, I consciously made a decision to stay out of the controversy for the launch of BAD25 in order not to do any harm to the project despite my strongest feelings (and that's the understatement of the year!)

Did you see the post from Mr. Pecchi the first the director for the first leg of the tour? He said miles and miles of footage of the bad tour was captured included entires shows. He said he was staffed with 5 cameramen to shot the shows including interviews and behind the scene footage. He said he believed at least one of the UK shows was shot in full. Mr. Pechhi is the second person who worked directly with the film who said the shot loads of footage. Anything to add from this?

yes, I saw the note from MJ to Pecchi etc. Yes, I know that miles of film was shot, but the problem as always was that Michael rejected the audio which was very lackluster (poor quality) indeed. Part of today's problem (i would guess) is the truly immense amount of time (and cost) which would be required to sift through so much footage to figure out how best to make a releasable work. You have to figure it in the $millions. It would have to be a labour of love and it appears that sadly, love is way below the pecking order when it comes to commerce. You can't blame Sony for any of this.

So you weren't given the opportunity to edit the audio for the DVD. I thought the person who did was you. Also, do you understand why the camera crew weren't given any credit in the DVD?

the camera crew weren't credited because no-one took the time to research who shot what. The audio crew weren't credited despite the fact that I provided that info. Spike Lee's film is also painfully shy on credits. I've lost more than a little respect for spike given that he allowed the film to go out with those appalling sync errors, and shoddy 5.1 mixes. The film is great EXCEPT for the live sequences. Go figure... it's beyond my understanding how supposed professionals involved in this project could all suddenly become blind and cloth-eared.

As far as the stereo and 5.1 mixes go, I already posted a link to my reply to the sorry excuse of aschmuck who 'produced' the mixes and who had the audacity to complain about the quality of the audio source materials.

Where the **** has all the artistic integrity vanished to? And where in the world is John McClain.

Thanks again for all the info you've shared.

You are most welcome /rant off :)

Thank you for confirming that Liverpool concert was shot on film! Great to hear. :) To me the blue shirt footage in Moonwalker Man in the Mirror looks really good. If the video quality of the full concert is like that then I think it can be released on blu-ray and in cinemas. To me it looks amazing! And there is also footage of USA leg concert(possibly Minneapolis). It also looks great. Do you have any info about that?

Last edited:

Thank you for confirming that Liverpool concert was shot on film! Great to hear. :) To me the blue shirt footage in Moonwalker Man in the Mirror looks really good. If the video quality of the full concert is like that then I think it can be released on blu-ray and in cinemas. To me it looks amazing! And there is also footage of USA leg concert(possibly Minneapolis). It looks also great. Do you have any info about that?

yes Aintree was apparently shot in full but read carefully again what was said...

for what it's worth, I believe that it would not be a disservice to treat a filmed concert (where MJ rejected the audio) in exactly the same way that MJ required existing concert footage from a variety of different concerts for the Around The World and MTV special to be sync'd to Wembley audio.

whether that will ever happen is doubtful - it's an expensive project by any standards but if it were to be done, it should be done with great care and respect - not just slammed together for the fastest buck for the bang.

re USA footage, I have no info - sorry

yes Aintree was apparently shot in full but read carefully again what was said...

for what it's worth, I believe that it would not be a disservice to treat a filmed concert (where MJ rejected the audio) in exactly the same way that MJ required existing concert footage from a variety of different concerts for the Around The World and MTV special to be sync'd to Wembley audio.

whether that will ever happen is doubtful - it's an expensive project by any standards but if it were to be done, it should be done with great care and respect - not just slammed together for the fastest buck for the bang.

re USA footage, I have no info - sorry

any other shows except aintree which is known to have been shot in full on film?

Thank you so much for your contributions Go Flying! Very much appreciated. It's a shame the way certain things have been handled since Michael's passing, but we can do nothing more than keep voicing our opinions and hoping for the best.

This...

AMEN.

i hope wembley doesnt mean all 7 shows but just july 16th...

I think he mean that none of them was entirely filmed. But other Bad Tour concerts were filmed so there is hope. If the Liverpool film reels are somewhere they could make blu-ray. Audio doesn't have to be multitracks. I would do anything to see that concert! :)

Last edited:

I think he mean that none of them was entirely filmed. But other Bad Tour concerts were filmed so there is hope. If the Liverpool film reels are somewhere they could make blu-ray. Audio doesn't have to be multitracks. I would do anything to see that concert! :)

warren eagles edited 2 full wembley shows, i think those two were on film but not july 15th or 16th!

Go Flying makes a very good point about the poor audio mix during the live sequences (APOM and MITM) from the Bad 25 documentary. I'm not sure why to be honest, because Man In The Mirror sounds a lot better on the Wembley DVD than it does at the end of the Bad 25 doc.

Go Flying makes a very good point about the poor audio mix during the live sequences (APOM and MITM) from the Bad 25 documentary. I'm not sure why to be honest, because Man In The Mirror sounds a lot better on the Wembley DVD than it does at the end of the Bad 25 doc.

I wonder which concert the audio is from in Moonwalker Man In The Mirror? It sounds very good but MITM in Wembley dvd sounds much better. It is probably from the Bad jacket concert so they did multitracks for that.

Last edited:

The DVD is pretty much nearly as awful as the BAD25 MITM mix. It was all I could do not to walk out of the theatre at that point in the movie.

still the DVD mix is just plain awful and poor quality work. Why take michael's voice which sounds warm and sweet on the source multis and mix it so that it sounds hard and shrill?

why make one of the workd's best drummers sound no better than a cheap sample machine.

all the individual tracks are hideously gated and WAY overcompressed. The surround audience tracks are treated with additional and totally out of character reverb when there was absolutely no need. And on and on and on.....

i guess it's down to the Peter principle

The DVD is pretty much nearly as awful as the BAD25 MITM mix. It was all I could do not to walk out of the theatre at that point in the movie.

still the DVD mix is just plain awful and poor quality work. Why take michael's voice which sounds warm and sweet on the source multis and mix it so that it sounds hard and shrill?

why make one of the workd's best drummers sound no better than a cheap sample machine.

all the individual tracks are hideously gated and WAY overcompressed. The surround audience tracks are treated with additional and totally out of character reverb when there was absolutely no need. And on and on and on.....

i guess it's down to the Peter principle

I did think there was a little something off about the CD mix, but didn't have the technical words to explain it to myself. However, because I'm not sure how things sound without all the editing and have nothing to compare it to, I still think it sounds great. It's sorta like how I watched the DVD and thought "this is okay" or how I started imagining it wasn't a professionally put together DVD and that it was a rare dvd I found on the Ebay, I can get through and feel satisfied. But oh, boy, when they showed the documentary HD film sourced footage I couldn't bring myself to watch the DVD again. See now I had something to compare it with unlike the audio I don't have the unedited mix to compare it to.

Also, I personally think the reason Bad 25 didn't sell well was because of the quality of the DVD video footage was horrible and because it wasn't released in HD Blu Ray. It's unfortunate if they use the failure of this release as reason not to put money and effort into a blu ray release of the Bad Tour or any other concert footage.

I did think there was a little something off about the CD mix, but didn't have the technical words to explain it to myself. However, because I'm not sure how things sound without all the editing and have nothing to compare it to, I still think it sounds great. It's sorta like how I watched the DVD and thought "this is okay" or how I started imagining it wasn't a professionally put together DVD and that it was a rare dvd I found on the Ebay, I can get through and feel satisfied. But oh, boy, when they showed the documentary HD film sourced footage I couldn't bring myself to watch the DVD again. See now I had something to compare it with unlike the audio I don't have the unedited mix to compare it to.

Also, I personally think the reason Bad 25 didn't sell well was because of the quality of the DVD video footage was horrible and because it wasn't released in HD Blu Ray. It's unfortunate if they use the failure of this release as reason not to put money and effort into a blu ray release of the Bad Tour or any other concert footage.

the fact 'Michael' & 'BAD25' didn't sell well is because of the fact that 'Michael' contains three over compressed and most likely Fake songs. and 'BAD25' features a VHS, we live In 2012, who wants a 240 pixel waste of a magical show when film feels exist? to me they should've mixed all the Wembley Film footage together and created 5.1 & DTS audio using both the July 15th & 16th multitracks mixed together and restore the additional ad libs from other shows. colour correction was a complete fail, making him look like someone with skin From Jersey shore all cartoon and tango coloured... additionally the Live CD sounds compressed and shoddy, it should have been mixed and enhanced like the Another Part of Me short film audio... anyways, I guess we'll have to petition for 30 years to ever get a chance of seeing the king of music's most perfect triumph on stage in all
it's glory "High Definition" Blu-Ray & in Cinemas.

I'm just happy that i got the chance to see a full Bad Tour 1988 show. Yeah the quality wasn't in crystal clear, dazzling HD but that never bothered me. If they do manage to find the film reels to release Bad Tour 88 or 89 on blu ray then that would be awesome, but in the meantime this Wembley DVD is tiding me over quite nicely.

And the quality of the Wembley DVD isn't THAT bad. It's not like it's unwatchable

I'm just happy that i got the chance to see a full Bad Tour 1988 show. Yeah the quality wasn't in crystal clear, dazzling HD but that never bothered me. If they do manage to find the film reels to release Bad Tour 88 or 89 on blu ray then that would be awesome, but in the meantime this Wembley DVD is tiding me over quite nicely.

And the quality of the Wembley DVD isn't THAT bad. It's not like it's unwatchable

as Go Flying said all the footage directed by Patrick Kelley during the european leg of the tour including film reels have been identified and catalogued, as of last year....

the fact 'Michael' & 'BAD25' didn't sell well is because of the fact that 'Michael' contains three over compressed and most likely Fake songs. and 'BAD25' features a VHS, we live In 2012, who wants a 240 pixel waste of a magical show when film feels exist? to me they should've mixed all the Wembley Film footage together and created 5.1 & DTS audio using both the July 15th & 16th multitracks mixed together and restore the additional ad libs from other shows. colour correction was a complete fail, making him look like someone with skin From Jersey shore all cartoon and tango coloured... additionally the Live CD sounds compressed and shoddy, it should have been mixed and enhanced like the Another Part of Me short film audio... anyways, I guess we'll have to petition for 30 years to ever get a chance of seeing the king of music's most perfect triumph on stage in all
it's glory "High Definition" Blu-Ray & in Cinemas.
After the 'Michael fiasco' the tail started wagging the dog.... 'People' were so afraid of lack of authenticity accusations that there was a decision to present BAD 25 'au naturel'

Michael was quite happy to mix and match from various concerts in order to make the best possible end result. But that judgement came from a craft learned from the age of 6.

After the 'Michael fiasco' the tail started wagging the dog.... 'People' were so afraid of lack of authenticity accusations that there was a decision to present BAD 25 'au naturel'

Michael was quite happy to mix and match from various concerts in order to make the best possible end result. But that judgement came from a craft learned from the age of 6.

any way you could show them they should release a Blu-Ray of this Tour? mixed from Liverpool and the available wembley film reels or maybe a US leg show? for example Madison Square Garden? they need to see that if they put love into projects, fans will react positively and will buy the items!

Back