Let's Talk About Books (V.2)

I refuse to read that book because it was on our setlist for english a few years back.
I dont know why, its like an engraved prectice because 9/10 books I read at school were destoryed because I had to study them so much :p haha

But I stopped reading because I am so busy :(
I am going away soon though on a sunny holiday, so I need books that I will become enrgossed in but nothing too serious haha
Any suggestions?

I'm currently reading two books. (which I do sometimes - it's possible!)

I'm reading Moonwalk and the last book in a series I've been reading, Splendor. The series is called The Luxe and there are 4 books (The Luxe, Rumors, Envy and Splendor). Splendor JUST came out. They're about NYC socialites in 1899-1900. They're under "teen fiction" but I think adults would like them, too. Scandal, romance, sex, gossip, rumors -- it's all there! They're GREAT books, and I really get into them.

Reading 'The Kite Runner'....i can feel tears coming on towards the end of this one!

I adore this book. I studied it for my final year in high school and it wa wonderful to analyse, so many literary devices... never run out of something to say in an essay. Proud to say it did me well :)

I adore this book. I studied it for my final year in high school and it wa wonderful to analyse, so many literary devices... never run out of something to say in an essay. Proud to say it did me well :)

Oh good :) I am only about half way through, but I think I can guess where it's going - but there is so much sadness in it already :(

I'm currently reading 'Fablehaven' by Brandon Mull.

It's about a brother and a sister who have to remain with their grandfather during their parents' vacation. They hardly know that grandfather and are not to thrilled to have to go to his farm. Having arrived they are pretty much left to their own devices and are free to do as they please as long as they don't enter the woods... They do of course and find a hidden world that is not quite harmless...
So far it's been really exciting. A great adventure and I'm looking forward to find out how it's going to continue...

fablehaven.jpg

I'm currently reading 'Fablehaven' by Brandon Mull.

It's about a brother and a sister who have to remain with their grandfather during their parents' vacation. They hardly know that grandfather and are not to thrilled to have to go to his farm. Having arrived they are pretty much left to their own devices and are free to do as they please as long as they don't enter the woods... They do of course and find a hidden world that is not quite harmless...
So far it's been really exciting. A great adventure and I'm looking forward to find out how it's going to continue...

fablehaven.jpg

Oh, that sounds like an interesting read! Maybe I'll pick that one up next, after I'm done "Bloodsucking Fiends".

I just finished the book "Push by Sapphire"...whoaaaa...very hard story. Worst form of child abuse.

I will be seeing the movie Precious, based on the book, next week.

I just started reading a new book I bought at Barnes and Noble a couple nights ago and it is VERY interesting.....well at least to me it is. :p

It's called "Cosmic Karma: Understanding Your Contract With The Universe" :)

I just finished the book "Push by Sapphire"...whoaaaa...very hard story. Worst form of child abuse.

I will be seeing the movie Precious, based on the book, next week.

I think Sybil is the worst I've read. :no: But this is sad, sad, sad, sad, sad for sure. :(

I just started Harper Lee's To Kill A Mockingbird. Seems good so far, can't wait to read it more!

And then I'm continuing that Elvis bio.. not many pages left anymore, lol, but I think I won't finish it until next year.

I think Sybil is the worst I've read. :no: But this is sad, sad, sad, sad, sad for sure. :(

I read Sybil too years ago.
I found it in english in the library. I didn´t know what shoebuttoner(or something similar)was
but I could imagine how it looked like and how her mother used it on her.

I have read some books written by Torey Hayden, its also about children who has it bad.

I just re-read a book one of my professors gave me as a gift when I had surgery in March. It's called:

"Phenomenal Woman" by Maya Angelou :)

~~~~~

Last edited:
I know, I think I am one of few people on the planet who hasn't read harry potter :lol:.

You're not the only one! :lol: I only started reading them a couple of weeks ago. And I'm glad I did! Now I'm reading the 4th one, The Goblet of Fire. I highly recommend that you dive into the magical world of Harry Potter :yes: When I finish reading all the books I'll have a marathon watching the movies. So far I've only seen the first two.

I received my Opus today, so I should start reading it too. I only browsed thru the pages today (admiring the gooorgeous pics and artwork), but got too emotional when I actually tried to read it.. So I'll save that for later.

I just re-read a book one of my professors gave me as a gift when I had surgery in March. It's called:

"Phenomenal Woman" by Maya Angelou :)

~~~~~

That always reminds me of Janet. If you've seen the movie "Poetic Justice" you'll know what I mean :)

I'm a woman
Phenomenally.
Phenomenal woman,
That's me.

You're not the only one! :lol: I only started reading them a couple of weeks ago. And I'm glad I did! Now I'm reading the 4th one, The Goblet of Fire. I highly recommend that you dive into the magical world of Harry Potter :yes: When I finish reading all the books I'll have a marathon watching the movies. So far I've only seen the first two.

See, everyone should read them they really are good!! And the longer the story goes imo the less it is a "children book", especially the last one.
Don't expect that much from the movies though, imo they're not nearly as good as the books (my favourite is the 6th movie (the newest)).

I have still few chapters left of 'To kill a mockingbird' but I can say that it's officially becoming one of my favourite books.

See, everyone should read them they really are good!! And the longer the story goes imo the less it is a "children book", especially the last one.
Don't expect that much from the movies though, imo they're not nearly as good as the books (my favourite is the 6th movie (the newest)).

I totally agree with the bold part! IDK, I liked the first two movies that I've seen.. But I'll hold my comments 'till I've read all the books and seen all the other movies :)

That always reminds me of Janet. If you've seen the movie "Poetic Justice" you'll know what I mean :)

Why yes I have seen it. :)

I'm a woman
Phenomenally.
Phenomenal woman,
That's me. :cheeky:

Has anybody here read books written by Astrid Lindgren?
I don´t know if Pippi longstocking is most wellknown of her books outside Sweden.
She has written " brothers Lionheart" a book for children about adventures, the fight between good and bad ,and death.
The book has helped many children here who has lost someone close, they believe that their sister , brother is in Nangijala or Nangilima.
She has written Mio, my son too and there is an enemy with a heart of stone.

You will never be to old to read those books.

I read Stephen King's - Bag of Bones, Stephen King's Blaze and Stephen King's Duma Key and I have to say that Duma Key and Bag of Bones are great, especially Duma Key! This one was incredible, never read such a great book!
Right now I'm reading Stephen King's - It.

Anyone here read Duma Key or Bag of Bones?

The first Harry Potter book I read was the Prisoner of Azkaban and I was instantly hooked! They're very well written books with so many different layers and it's true that as the series progresses it's no longer a children's book at all as they grow darker and darker. My favourite character was Severus Snape in the books, who I think really embodies the good and the bad found in all of us.

The last book I read was The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - a Trilogy in five parts. I liked the first two books and parts of the third, but after that the books turned so random that I had no idea if there even was any plot in the books. The first and second books are still brilliant though, with some truly witty remarks about the World, life and the Universe.

The first Harry Potter book I read was the Prisoner of Azkaban and I was instantly hooked! They're very well written books with so many different layers and it's true that as the series progresses it's no longer a children's book at all as they grow darker and darker. My favourite character was Severus Snape in the books, who I think really embodies the good and the bad found in all of us.
That was the one I read first too! :lol: Snape is one of my favourite characters aswell.

I don´t know if Pippi longstocking is most wellknown of her books outside Sweden.
She has written " brothers Lionheart" a book for children about adventures, the fight between good and bad ,and death.
The book has helped many children here who has lost someone close, they believe that their sister , brother is in Nangijala or Nangilima.

Yes I've read them :) Our teacher used to read Brothers Lionheart to us in school but I don't remember much of it anymore so I've thought reading it again.

I love Osho. For me it was a very wise man. I've read almost all his books and now I'm reading the book "Being in Love" where he talks about love. I had seen the video of him, but had not yet read the book and I'm delighted. When I read the book, I thought a lot on Michael because I think he would like to read this book about love. :wub:

This is the synopsis of the book:

350__1_9780307337900.jpg

What Is Love?

In this thoughtful, provocative work, Osho—one of the most revolutionary thinkers of our time - challenges us to question what we think we know about love and opens us to the possibility of a love that is natural, fulfilling, and free of possessiveness and jealousy.

With his characteristic wit, humor, and understanding, Osho dares us to resist the unhealthy relationship patterns we’ve learned from those around us, and to rediscover the meaning of love for ourselves. “By the time you are ready to explore the world of love, you are filled with so much rubbish about love that there is not much hope for you to be able to find the authentic and discard the false.”

By answering the questions that so many lovers face, Osho shares new ways to love that will forever change how you relate to others, including how to:

• Love without clinging
• Let go of expectations, rules, and demands
• Free yourself from the fear of being alone
• Be fully present in your relationships
• Keep your love fresh and alive
• Become a life partner with whom someone could continue to grow and change
• Surrender your ego so you can surrender to love

Being in Love will inspire you to welcome love into your life anew and experience the joy of being truly alive by sharing it.

:)

I've recently picked up "The Neverending Story" by Michael Ende at the school's library. I'm a big fan of the movies, haven't finished reading the whole book a few years ago, just read the first part of it. I'm at the first chapter now, so i will finally read the whole book. I know it's very different from the original 1984 movie version. ^^

I read Stephen King's - Bag of Bones, Stephen King's Blaze and Stephen King's Duma Key and I have to say that Duma Key and Bag of Bones are great, especially Duma Key! This one was incredible, never read such a great book!

I read Bag of Bones about six months ago. I really liked the first 3/4 of the book. It was suspenseful and interesting. The last 1/4 of the book got too crazy for me, though.

I like Steven King, but I sometimes find it a little difficult to relate to his characters. His stories are typically very good, though. I'll definitely pick up Duma Key the next time I'm at the library.

Last edited:
I read Bag of Bones about six months ago. I really liked the first 3/4 of the book. It was suspenseful and interesting. The last 1/4 of the book got too crazy for me, though.

Well, yes it is goin very crazy towards the end but still good and in my opinion you can still easily understand what is goin on.
Tho' the end is really sad, I liked this book!

I like Steven King, but I sometimes find it a little difficult to relate to his characters. His stories are typically very good, though. I'll definitely pick up Duma Key the next time I'm at the library.

Exactly this (relating to the characters) will happen in Duma Key! ;)
You'll feel everyone, you will understand every person perfectly. So at the end you're gonna feel like you know every person for real. You'll relate to each and everyone of the story in this book. You'll feel like they're real friends of yours. And with this being said you can now lay back, grab yourself your book and enjoy the story!

Have fun! ;)

Yes, I've read all of the above. And I agree about the bolded part!

I received a copy of "The Lovely Bones" by Alice Sebold for Christmas, and I loved it! It was quite a heartbreaker.

A few weeks ago I finished a book called "I Capture the Castle" by Dodie Smith. I had seen the movie like a million times, and then I was at Borders bookstore one day, I seen the book, and I had to check it out. I loved it. It's a very sweet book, and funny in some parts.

I haven't read any of those. The last Stephen King book that I read (a few months ago) was Salem's Lot (which scared the CRAP outta me! It was worse than watching a horror movie.. I had to put it down a few times because I felt like I couldn't go on reading the rest!)

I'd like to read "Under the Dome" next...

I received a copy of "The Lovely Bones" by Alice Sebold for Christmas, and I loved it! It was quite a heartbreaker.

I JUST finished "The Lovely Bones" the other day. Didn't like it that much, actually. I don't know why -- it started off well, but then I felt that I was just reading and not actually getting INTO the story, if you know what I mean.

It was the same deal when I read "The Five People you Meet in Heaven". I thought it was completely overrated.

I've just started reading "Dear John" and I'm not sure whether I'll like it (not a huge fan of Nicholas Sparks).

To be honest, I haven't read anything lately that I've really liked! Any suggestions?

I haven't read any of those. The last Stephen King book that I read (a few months ago) was Salem's Lot (which scared the CRAP outta me! It was worse than watching a horror movie.. I had to put it down a few times because I felt like I couldn't go on reading the rest!)

Really?
Woooow, guess I'll read it after I'm finished with Stephen King's It! :)

Back