Man With The Golden Voice

His voice is unbelievable. He's better than 95% of the radio personalities I hear today.

I loved the bit with his mother: "I'm not ninety-two, I'm ninety!"

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Dy85lAKLasw?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Dy85lAKLasw?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

I, for one, don't see what all the hullabaloo is about.

"The hullabaloo," as you put it, is due, as this article states, to "his stunning rise from begging on the streets" to becoming an instant celebrity. Mostly for the sake of the family he neglected, let's hope he makes good on his second chance.

Homeless Man With "Golden Voice" Checking Into Rehab

8de61b66.jpg

(Reuters) - A homeless man who became a YouTube sensation for his "golden voice" will check into rehab for treatment of alcohol and drug dependency, representatives for the "Dr Phil" show said on Wednesday.

Ted Williams, 53, made the decision to enter a private rehabilitation facility after a discussion with Dr Phil McGraw about a physical altercation with one of his daughters, the show said in a statement.

Williams and his family discussed that incident during a taping of "Dr. Phil" scheduled for broadcast on Thursday, the show said, and family members revealed Williams has been drinking daily.

"If Ted is ever going to get better, he's got to be honest with himself and admit he's addicted to drugs and alcohol," Dr. Phil McGraw, the show's host, said in the statement.

"I've told him it's not going to be easy and it's going to take a lot of hard work. It might be a long journey for him, but this is a step in the right direction," McGraw said.

Los Angeles police have said two people were taken to Hollywood station on Monday night following a disturbance at Williams' hotel, although they have declined to identify them.

Local media and celebrity web sites reported Williams and his daughter were questioned after getting into a loud argument.

Williams, a former radio announcer who became homeless after battling drugs and alcohol, attracted millions of YouTube hits after The Columbus Dispatch newspaper posted a video of him panhandling using radio emcee imitations.

He has since appeared on morning news programs including "The Today Show" to talk about new voice-over job offers with the Cleveland Cavaliers basketball team and foodmaker Kraft and his stunning instant rise from begging on the streets.

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE70A5NN20110112

I'm sorry, but all the attention paid to this man was so incredibly STUPID. The money, all the offers thrown his way... it was all premature and foolish. The very moment I saw him on my television I knew there was something shady about him. He seemed like a conman. For instance, they mentioned that he now has a home and instead of being happy he simply said "I'm not sure how I'm going to pay for it" and then was quickly reminded that he has jobs and endorsements flowing in. I could tell he was hoping someone would feel sorry for him and give him a free house. Did no one else sense this? I am a very good judge of character and could tell instantly this guy has a very dark aura about him. Turns out, I was right. The guy has a criminal record a mile wide, is a junky, and just recently assaulted his daughter and her dog while in a hotel (he met with his children and they stayed together for the Dr. Phil show). This man can't handle all the stuff thrown his way and was using his new found fame and fortune for drugs and booze. Shame on the media and people who encouraged this. I'm not saying that the homeless shouldn't be helped, but to just throw someone in to the spotlight and hand them everything without checking their background is incredibly irresponsible.

I'm sorry, but all the attention paid to this man was so incredibly STUPID. The money, all the offers thrown his way... it was all premature and foolish. The very moment I saw him on my television I knew there was something shady about him. He seemed like a conman. For instance, they mentioned that he now has a home and instead of being happy he simply said "I'm not sure how I'm going to pay for it" and then was quickly reminded that he has jobs and endorsements flowing in. I could tell he was hoping someone would feel sorry for him and give him a free house. Did no one else sense this? I am a very good judge of character and could tell instantly this guy has a very dark aura about him. Turns out, I was right. The guy has a criminal record a mile wide, is a junky, and just recently assaulted his daughter and her dog while in a hotel (he met with his children and they stayed together for the Dr. Phil show). This man can't handle all the stuff thrown his way and was using his new found fame and fortune for drugs and booze. Shame on the media and people who encouraged this. I'm not saying that the homeless shouldn't be helped, but to just throw someone in to the spotlight and hand them everything without checking their background is incredibly irresponsible.

I totally disagree. The only STUPID thing I see is your arrogant attitude. He has a fabulous voice. He deserves a second chance & redemption. He acknowledges his mistakes & he says he is "acknowledging Him in all ways on a daily basis". He is very thankful. He says "the Lord answered my prayers" & "God did this". I agree with Matt Lauer when he says in the interview "despite your hard times, there is this civility to you, there is this kindness, there is this grace". He may have relapses with his drug/alcohol problem, but I have worked with plenty of people who do. So it is possible he may need future help. But I do believe in miracles, so I wish him the best.

In Hollywood they give people all kinds of chances - look at Charlie Sheen, Lindsay Lohan etc.

"The hullabaloo," as you put it, is due, as this article states, to "his stunning rise from begging on the streets" to becoming an instant celebrity. Mostly for the sake of the family he neglected, let's hope he makes good on his second chance.

Homeless Man With "Golden Voice" Checking Into Rehab

8de61b66.jpg

(Reuters) - A homeless man who became a YouTube sensation for his "golden voice" will check into rehab for treatment of alcohol and drug dependency, representatives for the "Dr Phil" show said on Wednesday.

Ted Williams, 53, made the decision to enter a private rehabilitation facility after a discussion with Dr Phil McGraw about a physical altercation with one of his daughters, the show said in a statement.

Williams and his family discussed that incident during a taping of "Dr. Phil" scheduled for broadcast on Thursday, the show said, and family members revealed Williams has been drinking daily.

"If Ted is ever going to get better, he's got to be honest with himself and admit he's addicted to drugs and alcohol," Dr. Phil McGraw, the show's host, said in the statement.

"I've told him it's not going to be easy and it's going to take a lot of hard work. It might be a long journey for him, but this is a step in the right direction," McGraw said.

Los Angeles police have said two people were taken to Hollywood station on Monday night following a disturbance at Williams' hotel, although they have declined to identify them.

Local media and celebrity web sites reported Williams and his daughter were questioned after getting into a loud argument.

Williams, a former radio announcer who became homeless after battling drugs and alcohol, attracted millions of YouTube hits after The Columbus Dispatch newspaper posted a video of him panhandling using radio emcee imitations.

He has since appeared on morning news programs including "The Today Show" to talk about new voice-over job offers with the Cleveland Cavaliers basketball team and foodmaker Kraft and his stunning instant rise from begging on the streets.

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE70A5NN20110112

Yes, I know what happened, and I've seen several interviews he's done recently, but I fail to see what's so remarkable. He has a talent, surely, but it's not a really relevant one, and I don't really see what's there to glorify about a guy who basically let his life go down the tubes for some drugs. Happens every day.

Yeah, saw this on CNN late last year. Will be interesting to see how things turn out.

every day, i hear people say 'these n*** are lazy'. so when this guy gets a gig, he's condemned?

he or she who is without sin, cast the first stone. judge not, lest you be judged.

the best way to lessen the negatives out on the street, is to turn more people on the street, into having productive lives. most people who turn to crime, and stay there, don't have jobs or prospects for being productive citizens. there's no excuse for crime, but the way out should not be condemned, or else there should be no complaints about crime, either. there can't be contradictions and hypocrisy, and catch 22s.

every day, i hear people say 'these n*** are lazy'. so when this guy gets a gig, he's condemned?

he or she who is without sin, cast the first stone. judge not, lest you be judged.

the best way to lessen the negatives out on the street, is to turn more people on the street, into having productive lives. most people who turn to crime, and stay there, don't have jobs or prospects for being productive citizens. there's no excuse for crime, but the way out should not be condemned, or else there should be no complaints about crime, either. there can't be contradictions and hypocrisy, and catch 22s.

I think you missed Travis' point. He was saying that, as soon as the guy made some money via the offers which have been made to him, he's been using it for booze and drugs again, which led to the fight he had with his daughter. So, he's not using the resources people have handed him for good, or to get out of his situation, but rather to purchase booze and go back to the psychological rut he was in prior to getting out of the streets.

As of January 12, he was drinking a bottle of Grey Goose vodka per night, and ordering alcoholic beverages at the hotel he was staying in, according to his daughter. Their dispute over his drinking led to his arrest, and he's now entering rehab via a Dr. Phil "intervention." If he is as honest about changing as he says he is, I reckon we'll see how well he turns out.

Whatever Travis' opinion on the guy, the point of the matter is that he's right in saying that the media and the people offering him jobs/gigs have been completely irresponsible in the way they've handled the situation. This golden guy should have been put in a good rehab facility before being offered a job, or had his attendance in rehab be a condition under which he would be employed. Otherwise, the situation obviously would have exploded in a typical fast money= drugs and booze, which, of course, it did. Bravo.

Furthermore, I agree with Travis in that the excessive coverage this guy seems to be getting for doing nothing more than making his life implode in a sea of drugs and alcohol is stupid. Millions of people all over the world, with or without talent, are homeless due to drug or alcohol dependence. It's nothing new--and while they do need help if they so desire to put their life back together, going about it in the media frenzy we have witnessed thus far is a poor and irresponsible way of dealing with the situation at hand. They're basically treating this dude like he's a hero or some sort of phenomenon--when the truth is far less glamourous: he's a junkie who needs help, and fast.

We ought to be focusing on more worthwhile news, like the real tragedies of war, and civilians who truly can't help the situation they're in, like children in third-world countries who have no say over what happens to them. They're more deserving of our sympathy than some guy who put himself in a pickle via his own screw-ups.

Last edited:
I think you missed Travis' point. He was saying that, as soon as the guy made some money via the offers which have been made to him, he's been using it for booze and drugs again, which led to the fight he had with his daughter. So, he's not using the resources people have handed him for good, or to get out of his situation, but rather to purchase booze and go back to the psychological rut he was in prior to getting out of the streets.

As of January 12, he was drinking a bottle of Grey Goose vodka per night, and ordering alcoholic beverages at the hotel he was staying in, according to his daughter. Their dispute over his drinking led to his arrest, and he's now entering rehab via a Dr. Phil "intervention." If he is as honest about changing as he says he is, I reckon we'll see how well he turns out.

Whatever Travis' opinion on the guy, the point of the matter is that he's right in saying that the media and the people offering him jobs/gigs have been completely irresponsible in the way they've handled the situation. This golden guy should have been put in a good rehab facility before being offered a job, or had his attendance in rehab be a condition under which he would be employed. Otherwise, the situation obviously would have exploded in a typical fast money= drugs and booze, which, of course, it did. Bravo.

Furthermore, I agree with Travis in that the excessive coverage this guy seems to be getting for doing nothing more than making his life implode in a sea of drugs and alcohol is stupid. Millions of people all over the world, with or without talent, are homeless due to drug or alcohol dependence. It's nothing new--and while they do need help if they so desire to put their life back together, going about it in the media frenzy we have witnessed thus far is a poor and irresponsible way of dealing with the situation at hand. They're basically treating this dude like he's a hero or some sort of phenomenon--when the truth is far less glamourous: he's a junkie who needs help, and fast.

We ought to be focusing on more worthwhile news, like the real tragedies of war, and civilians who truly can't help the situation they're in, like children in third-world countries who have no say over what happens to them. They're more deserving of our sympathy than some guy who put himself in a pickle via his own screw-ups.

Bingo! That was exactly my point and I couldn't have said it better. Thank you!

Also, to those who attacked me for calling out the media on their irresponsibility: I really don't appreciate being called names such as "arrogant" by people whom the entire point of which went over their heads. Arrogance indeed. I agree that almost everyone deserves a second chance. That has nothing to do with what happened. The media didn't care about him. All they cared about was a good story, regardless of the repercussions. I sensed from the get-go that it was all too much, too soon, for "the man with the golden voice". I'm simply surprised more didn't (and then again, not). As I said before, the media loves a good story.

I have no ill will toward this man and wish him the best. However, the best for him is not to be shoved on television and showered with gifts, gigs, endorsements, money, and wrapped up with a big red bow on top. The man needed help, but because no one bothered to check up on his past (not just records but also physical and mental health) - he endangered not only himself, but his children as well.

Last edited:
Back