[MERGED] MICHAEL JACKSON & PRINCE : Friends or Foes? (The Historic Rivalry)

I never heard of this before.

Can you imagine the two kings of 80s pop who both also flirted with movie stardom making an album together? And that album is a soundtrack to a Batman movie?
It almost happened. During a casual 2001 Rolling Stone interview, Prince looked back on Batman and revealed, “Did you know that the album was supposed to be a duet between Michael Jackson and me? He as Batman, me as the Joker?” In practice, that would have meant Prince playing the funkier songs and Jackson performing the ballads. To the disappointment of pop culture enthusiasts everywhere, this obviously never came together. Record label issues might have had something to do with that, considering Prince was a WB artist and Jackson was signed to Epic. Plus, Jackson, who was fresh off of Bad around that time, probably didn’t need it as much as Prince.

https://weminoredinfilm.com/2016/04...rk-on-the-1989-batman-soundtrack/#prettyPhoto

To simplify all that we've said, and taking on the title of the thread..

I have always seen them as "Friendly Foes"

So they're not rewiting history when they claim that Prince was/is more influential than MJ, and was the better dancer and won more awards?
My response was about you saying this

Some artists said that prince is one of the major reasons that a lot of the artist today are who they are and I'm like here thinking are they talking about the right guy now? It's pretty ironic cause the same people making that claim are the ones who try to dance like MJ, replicate MJ's sound, choreographies and short movies.

They're giving him his due because he was and still is one of the most influential artists of the last 50 years, especially when it comes to R&B and dance music.
The way music is produced, alot of the sounds, and how a lot of performers present themselves is because of Prince

the BS Prince vs Michael Jackson articles are just that: BS. They're clickbait to get people to click on it and get riled up. Just like that stupid article from last year where that guy who was born in the mid 90s said Madonna was better and more influential than Michael and when people came back with into refuting it, his constant response was "Well (insert number) people shared and liked this article on Facebook so I'm right"

No point paying attention to that crap when we can mourn and celebrate both geniuses

I agree, lets mourn both of them, as we come up to this nasty time of the year (June 25th), I always go heavily into Michael Jackson memorial phase which is where I pretty much black out very other artist including Prince and just channel my thoughts on Michael Jackson. This recent round of gossip over some crappy literature found at Neverland millions of years ago has merely rammed home all the lies told about Prince after he died.

All I can say was many Prince fans got a taste of some of the types of bullshit, that the gutter media have said about Michael all these years. we had a rash of stories about Aids and drug addictions and the prurient reactions of a blood and trash soaked media when it was revealed Prince died of a self administered drug overdose. The moral being is that gossip is just evil full stop and in a way all this speculation over Prince and Michael's relationship is really more gossip in itself, apart from the 3 or 4 times we know of them meeting, who knows what went on.

I mean Prince in his later years was mostly known for making even more music and working with young artists like 3rd eye girl, Judith Hill, Andy Allo, Paloma Ayana (Delilah), Janelle Monae and Lianne Lahavas, rather than making statements about MJ or hanging out with older people. He was becoming more democratic (Joshua Welton, 25 year old husband of Hannah Ford Welton, the drummer in 3rd eye girl) produced most of Hitnrun Phase 1, AOA and Plectrum Electrum and a 2nd unreleased 3rd eye girl album.

It was the same in the earlier part of his career, Prince was issuing music by proteges when he was not making, performing or touring his own stuff, I doubt he much time to stalk Michael Jackson and was more focussed on his future. There was a healthy respect, but I feel a deep isolation. Both were geniuses in their own rights and had turned their careers into a fine point and level of commitment, that there was little lee way for monkey business and spying on the other.

So I know this story is from the Daily Mirror and I know from here that it's the biggest rag in the UK, but it's being copied and pasted around today. Personally, I found it hilarious-They say it's from tapes in 1998, but either its a typo or they are stupid, since Moonwalker came out in 88. Then, they say it's hidden tapes and refer to a video, but the video is of something else entirely. So no tapes. We just have to take their word for it-right. So I didn't copy any of that over.
My best guess on these "tapes" is the Hilburn ones that were done in 84 and 85, probably when Purple Rain was hitting it-and remember Michael shut those tapes down because he had revealed too much. I don't think there's anything in there that we haven't heard, just maybe softer versions. I still think Michael and Prince respected and admired each other tremendously. Actually, no doubt in my mind at all.

Michael Jackson said he feared Prince would die prematurely and that the Purple Rain singer had been 'mean, nasty and rude' in a string of rants about his 'rival
'

King of Pop was secretly recorded three decades ago ranting about Prince
Michael Jackson said he feared rival Prince would die prematurely
He said Prince was mean, nasty and rude in recordings for autobiography
By DAILYMAIL.COM REPORTER
PUBLISHED: 19:59 EST, 24 June 2016 | UPDATED: 01:42 EST, 25 June 2016

In a series of tapes secretly recorded 30 years ago, Michael Jackson ranted about his rival Prince, who he said would die prematurely.
Jackson said he was worried that Prince may kill himself, according to The Mirror, which revealed for the first time the contents of the recordings.
The tapes were recorded for Jackson's autobiography Moonwalker in 1998.
Jackson said Prince had been mean, nasty and rude, not only to him but also toward his family and that he didn't like being 'compared to Prince at all'.
Scroll down for video
In a series of tapes secretly recorded 30 years ago, Michael Jackson ranted about his rival Prince, who he said would die prematurely
In a series of tapes secretly recorded 30 years ago, Michael Jackson ranted about his rival Prince, who he said would die prematurely
'I have proven myself since I was real little. It's not fair. He feels like I'm his opponent. I hope he changes because boy, he's gonna get hurt. He's the type that might commit suicide or something.
Jackson called Prince, who died from a painkiller overdose in April, 'very competitive'.
'He was so rude, one of rudest people I have ever met. He has been very mean and nasty to my family.'
The King of Pop also mocked Prince's appearance at a James Brown tribute show in 1983 in Los Angeles, according to the Mirror.

Read more:
Michael Jackson's secretly recorded rants about Prince revealed for first time - Mirror Online

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ty-rude-string-rants-rival.html#ixzz4CdyV3Q5n
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

So I know this story is from the Daily Mirror and I know from here that it's the biggest rag in the UK, but it's being copied and pasted around today. Personally, I found it hilarious-They say it's from tapes in 1998, but either its a typo or they are stupid, since Moonwalker came out in 88. Then, they say it's hidden tapes and refer to a video, but the video is of something else entirely. So no tapes. We just have to take their word for it-right. So I didn't copy any of that over.
My best guess on these "tapes" is the Hilburn ones that were done in 84 and 85, probably when Purple Rain was hitting it-and remember Michael shut those tapes down because he had revealed too much. I don't think there's anything in there that we haven't heard, just maybe softer versions. I still think Michael and Prince respected and admired each other tremendously. Actually, no doubt in my mind at all.

Michael Jackson said he feared Prince would die prematurely and that the Purple Rain singer had been 'mean, nasty and rude' in a string of rants about his 'rival
'

King of Pop was secretly recorded three decades ago ranting about Prince
Michael Jackson said he feared rival Prince would die prematurely
He said Prince was mean, nasty and rude in recordings for autobiography
By DAILYMAIL.COM REPORTER
PUBLISHED: 19:59 EST, 24 June 2016 | UPDATED: 01:42 EST, 25 June 2016

In a series of tapes secretly recorded 30 years ago, Michael Jackson ranted about his rival Prince, who he said would die prematurely.
Jackson said he was worried that Prince may kill himself, according to The Mirror, which revealed for the first time the contents of the recordings.
The tapes were recorded for Jackson's autobiography Moonwalker in 1998.
Jackson said Prince had been mean, nasty and rude, not only to him but also toward his family and that he didn't like being 'compared to Prince at all'.
Scroll down for video
'I have proven myself since I was real little. It's not fair. He feels like I'm his opponent. I hope he changes because boy, he's gonna get hurt. He's the type that might commit suicide or something.
Jackson called Prince, who died from a painkiller overdose in April, 'very competitive'.
'He was so rude, one of rudest people I have ever met. He has been very mean and nasty to my family.'
The King of Pop also mocked Prince's appearance at a James Brown tribute show in 1983 in Los Angeles, according to the Mirror.

Read more:
Michael Jackson's secretly recorded rants about Prince revealed for first time - Mirror Online

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ty-rude-string-rants-rival.html#ixzz4CdyV3Q5n
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

LOL
This is obviously fake.
MJ was NEVER this pressed about ANY other artist.
MJ wasn't conceited by any means, but he knew he was the best out of his peers.
This "story" also broke on the anniversary of Michael's death, which is another big indicator that it's fake.

Also notice how the media is trying to make MJ out to be evil and jealous because he "ranted and said mean things about Prince" (which I'm 99.9% sure he didn't even say) but it was all fun and games when people wrote articles about some of the nasty stuff prince actually did say about MJ.
But hey, it's always fun to make fun of and pick on MJ right?
It's an American pastime.

Last edited:
Daily Mail is also a slimy gutter press Tabloid and should never be trusted for anything about Michael Jackson.

LOL
But hey, it's always fun to make fun of and pick on MJ right?
It's an American pastime.
Well, not just an American pastime, I guess-don't forget the Daily Mail is one of many infamous English tabloids-the worst of the worst.

Daily Mail is also a slimy gutter press Tabloid and should never be trusted for anything about Michael Jackson.
Definitely true-I just found it so darn funny-which was nice to laugh for a change instead of getting nauseous at the tabloid press.

Agree. I hate to see articles from that rag here. Especially after what they have done to MJ this week.

I don't bother clicking that link, but I think it could be audio taped upload to youtube, thus you think it is actual video.
Years ago, Michael's ghostwriter Stephen Davis sold at least some part of his tapes to News Of The World rag, and they made audio videos of them and posted articles of them. Maybe somehow Mirror got those tapes from now deceased NOTW or Stephen Davis is in need for money.
Davis said in one interview that he saw Michaels h-chamber, so take everything he says with sack of salt:smilerolleyes:

Having said that, I don't believe anything, especially from tabloids, before I hear tapes with my own ears.

The guy playing Prince looks like Dave Chappelle's Prince - love it. Unfortunately, in this video Prince kind of steals Michael's show, ha ha. I don't think a collaboration between the two could have ever worked. Was never really interested in one anyway.

Another thing I noticed with many of these skits is that no one seems to see the funny side of Michael. Compared to Prince, Michael always comes across as so lame, as if he didn't have idiosyncracies that you could make fun of in an endearing way, the way it is done with Prince all the time.

Was Michael more "normal"-acting than Prince, after all? Less effeminate and "other" than mainstream media would have the general public believe? And could this be a reason why comedians seem to have a hard time finding the funny aspects of Michael's character that they can use for their performances? I am just wondering.

The guy playing Prince looks like Dave Chappelle's Prince - love it. Unfortunately, in this video Prince kind of steals Michael's show, ha ha. I don't think a collaboration between the two could have ever worked. Was never really interested in one anyway.

Another thing I noticed with many of these skits is that no one seems to see the funny side of Michael. Compared to Prince, Michael always comes across as so lame, as if he didn't have idiosyncracies that you could make fun of in an endearing way, the way it is done with Prince all the time.

Was Michael more "normal"-acting than Prince, after all? Less effeminate and "other" than mainstream media would have the general public believe? And could this be a reason why comedians seem to have a hard time finding the funny aspects of Michael's character that they can use for their performances? I am just wondering.

I don't think so, I'd say both of them were the same in this respect. The only difference was that Michael was considered a nice guy and Prince was considered a bad guy. I'd say comedians usually picture Michael in a condescending way cause it's just easier with so many negative news around him, much more than around Prince.

I think Prince is actually more "normal" in the eyes of the the general public. They see much of his "outrageousness" as an act or as a social/political statement IMO. Much like David Bowie's charaters that he played from album to album. I think MJ's person is a lot harder to grasp for many people. Which is why the parodies about him are usually so lame, flat, one-dimensional and off-character. Not only the parodies, but often when they attempt to portray him in "serious" movies it comes off as a parody. They just can't seem to grasp him.

People could've and still can portray MJ in a positive way, but they don't.
Everything Michael did is seen as "different" or "weird", and most people dumbly and disrespectfully make that MJ's entire character when portraying him.
It's part of the way MJ got/gets dehumanized because who cares about the feelings and wellbeing of some "weirdo"?
MJ to this day is the media's punching bag/clown, and he never gets portrayed as the kind charitable man we all know he was because if he was then he would be extremely hard to hate, which is a big no no for the anti-MJ media.

Additionally, people often times justify and wave away Prince's femininity by bringing up all of the women he's been with. In their minds Prince is "safe" and "okay" because he has been with a bunch of women, which means he's a "normal" straight guy, but by default MJ is a weirdo or gay because he spoke in a voice that wasn't Barry white deep, and wasn't seen with a new woman every week.

It's also very character revealing to me when people make fun of or hate MJ because he was "girlish".
If they feel that way about MJ who was actually a straight guy that just liked to wear make up sometimes, and had medical issues, just imagine how those same people feel about actual lesbian, gay, trans, or bisexual people. *shivers*

Last edited:
I think they are real friends. I've read some articles saying that they did hang out together, they even played table tennis. Maybe it appears that they are not only because they are both have same profession, on a same era and have a mindset of being on top. But I think they have a healthy competition.

Re: The Day Prince Met Michael In Heaven

Thoughts?

Hilarious and all done in good spirit. I think its a credible impression of what Michael Jackson would sound like singing Prince's biggest hit. Of course Michael Trapson needs to do his Prince singing Billie Jean. Seriously this guy is pretty good and that shot show Prince with ducklips (Prince actually had pretty big lips in real life) - Sorry I have a thing about lips (Mine were pretty huge as a kid and I am proud of my soup coolers).

I think Prince is actually more "normal" in the eyes of the the general public. They see much of his "outrageousness" as an act or as a social/political statement IMO. Much like David Bowie's charaters that he played from album to album. I think MJ's person is a lot harder to grasp for many people. Which is why the parodies about him are usually so lame, flat, one-dimensional and off-character. Not only the parodies, but often when they attempt to portray him in "serious" movies it comes off as a parody. They just can't seem to grasp him.

I see your point. However, I am still trying to understand why some people would have a hard time "getting" Michael. I guess I never will. Prince always struck me as the more eccentric of the two. Especially in interviews he always came across as a bit finicky and grandiose and I don't think that was even an act.

Re: The Day Prince Met Michael In Heaven

Hilarious and all done in good spirit. I think its a credible impression of what Michael Jackson would sound like singing Prince's biggest hit. Of course Michael Trapson needs to do his Prince singing Billie Jean. Seriously this guy is pretty good and that shot show Prince with ducklips (Prince actually had pretty big lips in real life) - Sorry I have a thing about lips (Mine were pretty huge as a kid and I am proud of my soup coolers).

OT: How come you don't have big lips anymore? My lips are similar to Prince's, but the upper lip has a different shape.

Back