[MERGED] MICHAEL JACKSON & PRINCE : Friends or Foes? (The Historic Rivalry)

Re: Did Michael give bootlegs to Prince?

Duran Duran

Because Prince is a smart businessman, he can sell only 10,000 of an album and still make money, MJ had to sell millions and millions and still ended up in debts. prince has proven that Record lables are unnecessary and most are parasites.

Its photoshopped, made to look like it is that old, actually a James Brown show from 1981 with MJ Cameoing and the Prince coverage is mashed in from a 1983 Rick James show apparently.

Dude, no. For starters, it's not "photoshopped" (Technically, Photoshop mainly deals with images, not manipulation of video in the way you're thinking). Secondly, you literally see James Brown ask Prince to come on stage while Michael is right behind him. That alone should be pretty clear that it's for real.

After that, you see footage of Prince and James Brown with the exact same crowd and the exact same people behind them as was MJ. Prince and Michael Jackson were both there. Whoever told you otherwise literally hasn't a single clue what they're talking about.

Last edited:

Duran Duran

Because Prince is a smart businessman, he can sell only 10,000 of an album and still make money, MJ had to sell millions and millions and still ended up in debts. prince has proven that Record lables are unnecessary and most are parasites.

To me he's pretty much got way more crap stuff than his genius work. Too many albums, not enough filters. All Prince has proven to me (aside from the fact he is great, I'll make that clear) is that you really need someone around you saying "that's an awful song. Dont release it".

mjprince1976;4140346 said:
Its photoshopped, made to look like it is that old, actually a James Brown show from 1981 with MJ Cameoing and the Prince coverage is mashed in from a 1983 Rick James show apparently.

So everyone else just made up stories about it?

ALAN LEEDS: Prince went to a James Brown gig [in 1983] with Bobby Z, his drummer at the time, Big Chick, who was his security guard, and I think Jill Jones, who was one of his protégés. By now, everybody knows what happened at that gig. I don’t think Prince realized that Michael was going to be there. James looked a little puzzled in that video when Michael whispered in his ear, “Hey, bring Prince up.” And of course Prince didn’t really know what to do either. He went to the guitar first but he fumbles with that because it was left-handed. He played a few licks, did some dancing and knocked over a prop by accident. Now I always wondered if Michael intentionally brought Prince up to put him in that position just to say, “Hey, you think you’re on my ass? Well follow this, mother****er [laughs].” Bobby Z called me and said, “Oh boy…he made an ass of himself tonight.” He said Prince didn’t say a word the whole way to the hotel.

http://www.vibe.com/2010/06/michael-jackson-vs-prince-oral-history-pg-2/

MJ too when he showed the tape to LA Reid (as he recently told in an interview) - he too just made it up?

Last edited:

That story about Michael giving unofficial materials to Prince just doesn't make any sense to me. And I never liked using the word "bootleg", I call those materials "unofficial" like Michael never used the word "video" calling them "short films".

lol wtf? :rofl: get real, man

^yeah, that's funny. First time I heard that film was photoshopped. That's definitely Michael in 83, after Motown 25 special. I recognize the jacket from different appearances that year.
I did read that Prince was cut from the released version of this concert because he was drunk or something. I've never seen the released version, so I don't know if that's true.

Not true. How do you even come up with these things?

Duran Duran

You fail to acknowledge MJ still made more money. MJ was in debt for different reasons (mainly lawsuits and bad management) but he still made/makes a lot of money - more than most artists. I'm pretty sure Prince wouldn't be able to financially handle this many lawsuits and media attacks while being inactive for 7 years. The comparison can't be that narrow.

Last edited:

Prince is still a millionaire filling stadiums even now, making squatillions.

MJ's family are still fighting over crumbs.

Nuff said!

Besides, heaps of us on prince.org are convinced the James Brown thing is a mess, and my ideas are no worse than the OP's original question - Did Michael give bootlegs to Prince. Preposterous it seems. Get angry all you want, I am just defending Prince.

You are being childish with making this a pissing contest between MJ and Prince once again. Why do Prince fans always do this?

As for the James Brown thing. Some Prince fans may want to be in denial about it, but it's real. Time to get over it.

Nuff said!

Besides, heaps of us on prince.org are convinced the James Brown thing is a mess, and my ideas are no worse than the OP's original question - Did Michael give bootlegs to Prince. Preposterous it seems. Get angry all you want, I am just defending Prince.

You're hardly defending anyone with the desperate claim the video is fake.

Jacksons are fighting over crumbs? Not the ones who are in MJ's will. MJ was one of the top earning artists in the last 7 years in both dead and living celebrities. I don't know or care how much money Prince is making but I didn't see him in any Forbes list lately. As I wrote before, when MJ was alive he still made more money, regardless of his debt. You ignored the main point of my post and still fail to see why your comparison is invalid.

It's getting pathetic.

Nuff said!

no one is angry, just telling you you're wrong

mjprince1976;4140474 said:
That site is full of trolls, negative & cynical folks, bigots/racists, rude people, many complaining that no good music was made after 1974, and people who think there is some kind of Beyoncé conspiracy. They think Beyoncé pays everybody to make her appear popular and get awards, when she's really a flop. But they never explain how she gets the money to do this. :rofl: If she isn't popular, she can't be rich enough to pay the entire media. Many there constantly trash Prince himself and others who think that if Prince sneezes, it's a "masterpiece". People there think D'Angelo & Van Hunt are the best acts in history. So how is anything there valid? Princefams is much better than the org and Princefams allows Prince videos to be posted and they don't shut down threads about Mike and make you post in a random sticky thread.

One thing is for sure, is that Prince fans really shouldn't expect Prince to be treated like untouchable royalty on a Michael Jackson forum.

Re: bootlegs

Bootleg was first used for people in the audience recording concerts and making records or tapes of the concerts to sell, which was illegal. There was an episode of the 1970s sitcom What's Happening!!! about this guest starring the Doobie Brothers. It also referred to people selling records of studio recordings and demos that were unreleased. For example, there is a fairly well known bootleg called Toot & Snore In 74 which featured John Lennon, Paul McCartney, Stevie Wonder, and some others. It is the last known time John & Paul recorded together. The recording itself isn't that great. John was drunk or high, it was unreleased for a reason. But it has historical value to fans. There were also cassette/8-track bootlegs of officially released songs and albums, sometimes called "street tapes". People would sell these on the corner, in store parking lots, and at flea markets. Some of the people selling street tapes in parking lots would also have velvet paintings (ie. soul sisters, Elvis, dogs playing poker, etc)

And also one of the first heavily bootleg artists were the Rolling Stones in the late 1960s and early 1970s. Their live shows of 1966 and 1969 tours did the rounds heavily, possibly as the first Stones Live album "Got Live if yer want it" was so badly taped, it is just a muddied tape of girls screaming, people wanted their own decent versions of Stones shows. Although by 1967, the Stones had lost some of their teeny bopper appeal appearing a more grown up band with more rock than pop by 1967.

Another early bootlegged artist was Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention, their bizarre psychedelic rock was heavily bootlegged, along with Grateful dead and other hippy/alternative rock/blues acts. Zappa released an album called "Beat the Boots" which was quite humourous and even Bob Dylan, another bootlegged artist released the Basement tapes in 1974. Also the late 1960s habit of free festivals and open settings meant bootlegging was easier as the confines of an auditorium (There was very little stadium rock before the late 1960s) or theatre, meant your taping gear was less likely to be seen or confiscated by guards or band roadies.

Frank Zappa, Prince, The Rolling Stones, Bob Dylan and the Grateful Dead rank amongst the most heavily bootlegged artists of all time. Bootlegs of Michael Jackson are much less common, mainly as Michael's live videos and DVD's are very good and he did not tour much as a solo act compared to many other artists (3 tours - Bad, Dangerous, History in the mix) and 2 or 3 more with his brothers.

The others were heavily bootlegged, as very few live albums exist of them and especially with the Stones, have they ever had a good live album? I am a big fan of the Stones, but I stay away from their live shit, either go to a concert or be happy with the studio output I think. Prince released 2 live movies (Syracuse - ok and Rave un2 the year 2000 - Dreadful) and the live Sign o the times, is a good movie but concerts were even better live.

Also live albums and bootlegs only capture one moment. Okay the album "Get yer Ya yas out is great", but its the rolling stones 1969/1970 and they changed a lot in those days, thats one period in their 50 year period of performing! Whereas Love you live (1977), Still Life (1982) and Flashpoint (1991 - new tracks and some live bits of the Steel Wheels tour) are less great.

Also you get tired of the same boots over and over. Yes the 1968 Bootleg of a Jimi Hendrix concert where Jim Morrison comes up an is drunk "Hey Jimi let me sing this shit with you", "Nah man I can handle it myself" is funny the first time, but annoying afterwards, especially as Jimi was stoned out of his head at the show and his performances are way below average. But yes they fill a market.

I still think the story about MJ and Prince passing bootlegs is malarkey though.

One thing is for sure, is that Prince fans really shouldn't expect Prince to be treated like untouchable royalty on a Michael Jackson forum.

I agree, but there is also no law against acknowledging him and letting you guys know I love both. In fact I have been listening to and spending time here with Michael Jackson than I have with Prince lately. Loving two hugely talented stars, means when you get a bit tired of one, you go to the other.

Some days I am in a Prince mood, other days I have a craving for the moonwalk and The King of Pop. I am sure many other joint fans feel the same way. Surprisingly, no one really attacks MJ on the prince forum, except the mods, who limit all MJ talk to one thread, as the site is littered with people with great taste in liking MJ. Most people in the Pricne world are at least fond of MJ and quite a few are fanatical MJ fans and I know they come here. Fiona has already told me she is one of them.

Instead of starting gossip threads about Prince and MJ exchanging bootlegs and a so called rivalry, let us instead celebrate the incredible talent they both have/had and the similarities and overall high quality of their music and worlds. The biggest similarity is Prince,like Michael was quite shy and introverted off stage, but came alive on a stage. He has a strange way of saying it, but Prince really admires his fans, the recent Piano and Microphone tour proved that. Prince played a lot of his classic album tracks along with hits. I lost it when he played Do Me Baby (Chris Tucker's favourite track to moonwalk to) and Adore on stage looking at me. Those songs are kind of like his versions of Who Is it and Earth Song.

You are being childish with making this a pissing contest between MJ and Prince once again. Why do Prince fans always do this?

As for the James Brown thing. Some Prince fans may want to be in denial about it, but it's real. Time to get over it.

I've noticed that (And i'm obviously generalizing here) MJ fans will respect Prince and give him credit as an artist, and Prince fans will always try to find ways to tear MJ down just to make Prince look better. It's like Prince fans feel threatened (No pun intended) by MJ.

analogue - I don't, I know what I like and what I don't. I think some of the MJ fans here too are very critical and hating of Prince, cuts both ways. I find it hard to be neutral and support both. Their music makes me happy and they are both interesting people of which I want to know more about and accumulate as much info and items, music, books on as possible.

This thread right now.
scar-vs-simba-o.gif

Nuff said!

Could you provide links to said threads? I'd be interested to see what they say.

I find it hard to believe the video is fake. The people in the background on stage are identical throughout the video.

analogue - I don't, I know what I like and what I don't. I think some of the MJ fans here too are very critical and hating of Prince, cuts both ways. I find it hard to be neutral and support both. Their music makes me happy and they are both interesting people of which I want to know more about and accumulate as much info and items, music, books on as possible.

Can you point out posts where people are "hating of Prince" here?

If you keep bringing Prince up at every opportunity (whether relevant to the topic or not) people will reply to that and since this is not a Prince forum not everyone will tell you they love everything Prince ever did unconditionally. That would be the same on any non-Prince forum. But I haven't seen any hate.

Prince isn't even on most people's mind here IMO, it's mainly you who try to drag his name in any conversation.

I agree that Michael fans respect Prince. However, that's not the case with Prince fans. It has always been that way. Prince fans do alwAys seem to be threatened by Michael. Sadly their insecurity and jealousy is even worse now, and Michael is not even here.

I've noticed that (And i'm obviously generalizing here) MJ fans will respect Prince and give him credit as an artist, and Prince fans will always try to find ways to tear MJ down just to make Prince look better. It's like Prince fans feel threatened (No pun intended) by MJ.

Thank you. I agree with EVERYTHING that you posted.

like others have said, this is not a Prince forum, so you can't expect everyone to love him. same goes for everything else that isn't MJ. but even with him, people will criticize! right here on this very MJ forum. if you are so offended by what people say on the internet forums, that it makes it hard for you to support both, maybe you shouldn't go to these places?
and I also have never seen anyone "hate" on Prince. you are making things up or blowing things out of proportion
people have right to be critical, if you can't handle it, that's not really our problem

Also live albums and bootlegs only capture one moment. Okay the album "Get yer Ya yas out is great", but its the rolling stones 1969/1970 and they changed a lot in those days, thats one period in their 50 year period of performing! Whereas Love you live (1977), Still Life (1982) and Flashpoint (1991 - new tracks and some live bits of the Steel Wheels tour) are less great.

Also you get tired of the same boots over and over. Yes the 1968 Bootleg of a Jimi Hendrix concert where Jim Morrison comes up an is drunk "Hey Jimi let me sing this shit with you", "Nah man I can handle it myself" is funny the first time, but annoying afterwards, especially as Jimi was stoned out of his head at the show and his performances are way below average. But yes they fill a market.

I still think the story about MJ and Prince passing bootlegs is malarkey though.

Dr Funkberry did a story in 2009 or 2010 that quoted Bobby Z saying Prince would get tapes of Sly and James from Michael

Prince was at the Bad Tour show in Minneapolis and went to see Michael before the show (Christopher Currell talked about it in his three part article last year)

and Cat Glover talked on Twitter about Michael hanging out with her, Prince and Sheila E at at Paisley Park after the show

Prince

Is it true that, during the trial, people who talked negatively about Michael on the forum of Prince's official site were banned? I read that in la cienega blog. Can anyone confirm?

Back